Day-Saving Savings: Indie Royale All-Charity Pack

By Nathan Grayson on May 17th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Never try to bottle lightning. Put it in a box instead.

Games are pretty great. I realize that this is an incredibly contentious statement, but just work with me on this one. You know what else is really great, though? Saving the entire free world. But we can’t all be firemen, police officers, or the Hulk, and for us, there’s the Indie Royale All-Charity Lightning Pack. Every last cent from the bundle gets split between Amnesty International, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Actionaid, and Unicef, and hey, the game lineup is actually pretty awesome. Man, saving the world really is as easy as no one says it is.

The Lightning Pack – which has just over 80 hours’ worth of sand left in its hourglass – includes soul-soothing subatomic droplet magic toy Osmos, rough and rowdy physical party game B.U.T.T.O.N, hard-boiled Rabbi detective story The Shivah, and delightful exploration experiment Blueberry Garden. Are you tempted by the diabolical succubus that is charity? Then you know what you must do.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. SquareWheel says:

Already own Osmos and Blueberry Garden, and two of the albums are free. But hey, it’s for charity I suppose.

Crimsoneer says:

Blueberry Garden is delightful is you don’t already have it.

3. Kollega says:

Just to be incredibly nerdy, the Hulk is not really the best example when it comes to saving the free world. He is mostly occupied with saving his own life and trying to find the cure while on the run from the military. Captain America or Iron Man would be a far better example.

• MSJ says:

I ‘m pretty sure Steve Rogers is actively opposed to those kind of things, which is one of the reasons Civil War happened in the first place.

• Urthman says:

There’s a thing that came out recently that has a slightly different, more heroic take on the Hulk. It’s a little obscure, but maybe that was what Nathan was alluding to.

It’s called Marvel Super Hero Squad. There’s a play-for-free video game of it here: https://www.heroup.com/

• Kollega says:

I don’t really care how traditionally-heroic Marvel Superhero Squad or that other thing portrays the Hulk, i still think he’s not the best example because of the traditional portrayal of him as being on the run from the people who want to control or destroy him, not saving innocent people from criminals, supervillains, and/or natural disasters. He might do that, but most often because he was nearby, not because he has dedicated himself to it.

4. AngoraFish says:

I got Osmosis in a couple of other recent bundles already. Otherwise, meh, meh and meh.

• Phantoon says:

Yeah, the last Indie Royale I got was utter “meh”, and the one before that, not much better.

5. Nicholas Lemarr says:

Osmos and The Shivah are worth it, but I didn’t care for the rest. I’m not all about charity, I always give 100% to developers.

phlebas says:

Shame – B.U.T.T.O.N. is the only one of those I haven’t already got and it’s the one I’m not interested in. Now I feel uncharitable.

7. Risingson says:

In the rare case you are interested in my opinion, I think “The Shivah” is the best game Dave Gilbert has ever made, and also the most personal. It is a perfectly paced noir story with jews and the thickest atmosphere I remember in an adventure game.

Hodge says:

I already have all of them except B.U.T.T.O.N. so I’ll probably pass (unless a fellow RPSer can sell me on it), but I wanted to recommend the ones I own. The Shivah is one of the best graphic adventures of recent times and Blueberry Garden is wonderful too, if quite short. Osmos is more of a ten minute time waste-y thing but it’s perfectly good at what it does.

All in all, a fine bundle.

9. Unfair says:

As usual, quick gameplay review of all the titles in the bundle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqHf6XgweFg