Oi, Diablo: Torchlight II Beta Stress Test This Weekend

By Adam Smith on May 18th, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

If you don’t have a muscular clicking finger a lot of the discussion around these parts may be a little disheartening as of late. It’s all Diablo this and Grim Dawn that, and maybe Exile the other. How about a bit of Torchlight II to go with all that, or as an alternative to Blizzard’s biff ‘em up? If you haven’t already had a chance to play the Tochlight beta, this weekend could be your lucky two days. Runic have announced that this will be their final stress test: “We’ll be sending out many more beta codes to those who have already made their Runic Games Account. Haven’t signed up yet? Go for it now! Creating your account is always your best chance to receive a beta invite – especially this weekend.”

About a month after Diablo III was the ideal launch date put forward a while back. Sounds like that may not be too far off the mark.

The Beta Weekend will start on Friday, May 18th at 11:00am PDT and go until Tuesday, May 22nd at 11:00am PDT. We will be staggering invitations to let participants know they have been chosen, but you will not be able to play until the start of the Beta Weekend on Friday. This is to help stagger downloading of the game client.

The beta will end shortly after this last big network test. We are going to get the last information we need for stress testing, and then get back to finishing the game! A longer beta means a longer wait until we can ship, and we are eager to finish Torchlight II and get it in your hands.

And I’m eager for them to place it in my hands. I’ve been holding them out, cupped, for some time now.

, , , .

1. AlwaysRight says:

You see I like Diablo… but I also like Torchlight…
    but which one is better? only one way to find out…

FIGHT!!!

• byteCrunch says:

Is it worse that I know what you are referencing or that you made the “joke”?

• Lacero says:

and Diablo3 looks like it’s going down easy so far, but remember prematch it claimed it wouldn’t really start getting hard until it was done over once.

• Carter says:

Bush push or verge emerge?

• irongamer says:

In the early game combat speed wise Diablo 3 plays like an old VW Bug and Torchlight 2 plays like a Bugatti Veyron. I’m not sure if this changes later on in Diablo 3 with more gear increasing move and attack speeds.

Initial impressions is that Torchlight 2 plays buttery smooth and feels to have a little more feedback from attacks than Diablo 3. I’m not sure what causes the feedback to feel a little more solid in Torchlight 2 and it may just be personal take on the interaction.

Diablo’s overall interface design is better (huge time/money investment is really obvious). I have already had Diablo drop my connection and when I log back in I lost a few minutes of progression on my character. This wasn’t a big issue, BUT if there had been an epic loot drop or it bumped back for 10 or more minutes it would be a deal breaker.

I’ll have to play both to get a better idea. I do like them both currently.

• PopeJamal says:

“I’m not sure what causes the feedback to feel a little more solid in Torchlight 2″
        It’s the lack of server latency!

(Oh snap!!)

• subedii says:

You jest, but that’s probably at least partly the reason.

Primarily it’s just a case of different design decisions leading to diffferent gameplay feels. But it’s also true that for a game that’s designed around server lag, having slightly slower paced gameplay is a good design decision because it makes such instances less critical and also less evident.

The converse could also be true for TL2 however, in that if you’re in a multiplayer game and you’ve got a lot of lag to the host, a faster gameplay model would likely make it more noticeable.

I couldn’t say how well it does or doesn’t pan out since I haven’t gotten into the beta.

• Lacero says:

Part of the fun of Path of Exile is that they’ve completely ignored this. Flicker Strike (or something) is a near instant teleport+hit skill. Spamming it almost always leads to some kind of sync problem with the server.

I’m not sure why they just ignored the problem but it’s more fun than a slow game.

• mnxixgau says:

I like outdoor sports!Purchase of New the Syma S107, Gyro Metal the MiNi 3CH RC Helicopter Rich Text TOY! http://kurl.rs/3214

• D3xter says:

It might also have something to do with Hit Lag: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsuJXNeLm-4&hd=1

2. Neurotic says:

Yes, bring it on! I’ve been re-playing Torchlight like a maniac lately in preparation for the Big Day. Does anyone know if we can still import our T1 characters? And did I read something about a map editor once upon a time?

• Hoaxfish says:

Totally different classes in TL2 than TL1, so I’m guessing no on the import.

• Neurotic says:

Yeah, that’s what had me worried, when they did the class reveals and I sort of fell off the edge of my seat. :D

• Malk_Content says:

Don’t worry with mod tools coming out I’m pretty sure some enterprising individual will remake the old classes in T2.

CVraden says:

You can’t play the old classes because they’re NPC’s now! And one is a villain! I think that’s cool. And you can play just just about any way the old characters could with the new ones.

3. Hoaxfish says:

I’m right in the middle of my first ever play-through of Torchlight 1, so I’m not going to distract myself with this (along with a half-finished play-through of Grimrock, Xenonauts demo, Far Cry 1, Breath of Fire 4, etc)

Tempting though it is, I think I can hold out for the release.

• Alceste007 says:

I had a lot of fun with the first Torchlight. I am thinking about holding out until I can buy it as well. I am pretty impatient when I beta test a game.

4. subedii says:

Your game is NOTHING compared to Diablo 3! NOTHING!

5. Stiletto says:

I got invited to the Weekend Beta Stress Test.

It was nice that I registered yesterday night and this morning I got the invitation email to join in the fun! :D

Anyway, I’ve played it for a few hours, though I can’t neglect my doses of DayZ. So, I’m sorta juggling in between the two and such.

It’s pretty fun even if I’ve played it solo so far, but I don’t really fancy the skill tree at it is right now. I mean, it’s nice to unlock a juicy new skill to annihilate the hordes of enemies with, but upgrading them seems like a chore as each point spent only gives a tiny boost to the skill and you can do it up to fifteen times. So uh, that’s a bit of a chore if you want to make one skill all powahphulz.

But aside from that? Pretty smooth and tasty!

Now back to being legally blind as it’s night time in EU servers of DayZ.

• aliksy says:

As much as people say Diablo3′s skill system is too simple, I must admit I am *sick* of the traditional skill tree model, where each point gives a small bonus. Screw “3% more damage, 1% additional crit chance”. Each point should matter and make a noticeable difference.

• Joshua Northey says:

Frankly Diablo 3′s skill system is probably the biggest single improvement to the genre since the “pet” who will go to the store for you.

• caddyB says:

I thought diablo’s skill system sucked until I played it. I wish the runes unlocked earlier though, but I know they did it like that so we’d keep playing. oh well.

I found myself thinking more on hell difficulty about which defensive skill to use, with which rune etc. Or which abilities. I mean, some are very good aoe massacre things but are pretty much worthless in boss fights, some require you to stand your ground ( which is hard versus some of the enchantment combinations on rares/uniques and stuff. ) And you can change it on the fly. I know I changed my skills in the middle of the boss fights a few times.

I don’t like everything being tied to weapon damage though.

• Phantoon says:

You had to get to Hell difficulty before you had to make decisions?

People in Path of Exile die at level 2 to the first boss (Hailrake) if they do anything dumb.

• elfbarf says:

Actually, you die to Hailrake if you get hit a single time and the game decides that it wants to keep freezing you until you die. I didn’t play for a few months but tried again recently, ended up dying on my first two characters to Hailrake (on hardcore) due to taking a single hit and getting frozen (again and again) until my death. Eventually on my Shadow (my first two attempts were as a Templar and Marauder) I was able to kite him around and kill him with traps.

They really need to fix it, at this point it isn’t challenging, it’s just unfair.

• Azradesh says:

They are based on weapon damage to make the power scaling simple. This way Blizzard can keep throwing bigger stuff at you without having to increase the level cap. But remember, your damage is also tied to your primary stat. (Str for Barb, Int for Wiz and Witch, Dex for DHunter and Monk)

• Nevard says:

I am definitely buying Torchlight but I have to say I’m not REALLY looking forward to moving back to the old talent tiers model, it is never something I’ve found incredibly interesting

• Xocrates says:

This is an interesting problem from a design perspective, in that I feel Diablo 3 removes most player agency from the levelling system (essentially making having levels at all borderline meaningless as anything other than a pacing mechanism) while I’m fully aware how problematic the old school skill trees tend to be.

Ultimately, it will be up to the devs to decide how complex they want the system to be, but I’m surprised at the lack of middle ground in any of these games. I thought that Torchlight (1) approach was fairly solid, in that nearly every skill was useful throughout the game even with only one skill point invested and no skill had pre-requirements other than character level. Honestly, change it so you can only invest one skill point per skill and you get the system I feel D3 should have had.

• InternetBatman says:

I really miss Diablo 1′s model of finding spells as loot. It can lead to monstrously unfair situations, but I don’t think a game has compelled me to replay it as much since then.

• Snakejuice says:

You should try Path of Exile then, all active skills/spells (gems) are found as loot or quest-rewards. The passives are in a giant web and your class determines your starting position in the web.

• Gnoupi says:

In torchlight, in addition to the skill tree,, you have spell scrolls, allowing you to add up to four spells to your hero (and four ones to your pet also). These spell scrolls are found by looting, and there is no class restriction on them. Want your warrior (or your pet) to summon zombies? You can!

• Phantoon says:

Are they expendable like in Diablo? If that answer is yes, I’m all over this.

6. pakoito says:

Well I signed up with 4 different accounts and I did not get one. So supersadface for me. Is it facebook friendly like the last time, anyway?

Thermal Ions says:

Ever thought they may lower the priority where a given IP address has so many new accounts in a short period of time? Four is probably more likely an indication of duplicate signups rather then genuine real players on the one lan.

• Toberoth says:

Plus it’s kind of dickish to sign up for multiple accounts anyway – what if all four of your accounts get keys, and three other people are left wanting?

7. misterT0AST says:

This is pretty ingenious:

First Runic Games wanted the game to come out BEFORE Diablo III, so people would buy that instead, waiting impatiently for the Blizzard giant to come out.

Later they realized that Blizzard would finish first, and decided they would launch AFTER Diablo III, when people would get sick of it (and that’s a long time).

Now they decided they would launch AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after the release of Diablo, so people turned off by the DRM, haters, critics and the like, disgusted by Diablo would buy Torchlight 2 immediately just to “make Blizzard jealous” and write around how wonderful it is to play a game with lan, offline etc. .

Runic Games are some crafty sons of a bitch.
    Best of luck to them and their plan.

• subedii says:

I believe they wanted to release the game when they felt that they had finished making it.

• Fumarole says:

I believe they have different mothers. Sons of bitches, please.

• misterT0AST says:

I’m implying there is a healthy work environement at Runic Games.
        A healthy work environement is a lot like a big family.

• UmmonTL says:

I agree completely, it was really easy to see that DiabloIII would have problems at launch. The open beta stresstest had already shown that the servers wouldn’t hold up at launch and it was pretty obvious that Blizzard/Activision would opt to wait out the initial onslaught instead of buying lots of server capacity they wouldn’t need within a month of their launch. Combine that with the other criticisms of the game and the ideal time for a rival game to be released is shortly after, before the server issues smooth over and the stories of people enjoying D3 start roping in the doubters.
      I’m not saying that Torchlight is pushed out just to fit that timeframe, they woud be stupid if they did that and have it still riddled with bugs. But you can easily spend a half year more or less in polishing a game after it is basically finished. So no harm done and why not take advantage of an opportunity.

Wisq says:

Have you read any of the other articles about Torchlight 2′s release date? They haven’t been waffling nearly as much as you say. Or at all, really.

Their timing has always been “when it’s ready”, with the caveat that they didn’t want to release too close to Diablo3, for obvious reasons. This unfortunately got misinterpreted as “before Diablo3″ and “exactly one month after Diablo3″ by various members of the press at various times. Really, it was always just “when it’s ready, but not if that happens to be when D3 launches too”.

• Phantoon says:

Right, like releasing your movie when the Avengers came out, or a week after.

Except that the Avengers was a terrific movie. Bar none, favorite movie ever. Even the Blues Brothers, and I make EVERYONE watch that.

8. RenegadeRed says:

Hello I am from the future. Skynet has taken over the internet and hacked the missile silos leading to nuclear Armageddon. If only Torchlight 2 had outsold Diablo III, we would have never enabled all subsequent technology to be always-online. In other words, If Diablo wins, there will literally be hell on Earth.

• Tupimus says:

Hell is still mostly easy, except on rares and uniques. Bring it on. Now, if it were Inferno, we’d be knee deep in excrements.

• Joshua Northey says:

I think Torchlight has about the same chance of outselling Diablo 2 as RPS readers have coming to terms with the now ten year old model of “software as a service”. The whole software industry has been moving that way since 2004 at least, but no one here seems to have even heard of it.

• Malk_Content says:

We’ve heard of it, we haven’t sat with our fingers in our ears shouting “Not happening.” We just aren’t happy about it and wonder why any one (apart from publishers) would be.

• Jimbo says:

At least if it’s taken ten years to get this far we aren’t going to have to worry about it becoming prevalent for another couple of centuries or so.

FriendlyFire says:

Yeah, they’re called MMOs and happen to have a fair amount of coverage ’round here.

We just, you know, like having both software as a product and as a service, living side-by-side in harmony with ponies and unicorns.

• cog says:

Allowing us to breed some new ponycorns!

• Neut says:

Sometimes I wonder if Blizzard could have just called Diablo 3 an MMO and avoided all this. Functionally it works pretty much like Guild Wars (hub town is character selection screen with chat room, rest of the game as instance), and nobody’s up in arms about that.

Man it’s great that Guild Wars doesn’t have a monthly fee and you only have to pay once for the full game, even though they’ve to maintain the servers etc. You can even play the whole game solo like a single player game!

• Hematite says:

Just by changing the name to World of Diablo instead several things would have been very different:

- The always online requirement would be met with a shrug and a grumble, because whattayagonnado about online games?
            - The RMAH would be more widely noted as the core component of the business model, because it’s an online game and online games are already all about the ongoing revenue stream
            - The single player, offline section of the market would be ignoring the game because it’s clearly not targetted at them. Petitions would be signed for a ‘proper’ Diablo 3, Blizzard are dead to me because they’ve abandoned the single player etc.
            - The multiplayer competitive section of the market would have a louder voice because they wouldn’t be competing for bandwidth with the single players, and they’d be complaining about the pay to win real money auction house, the server issues, and the lack of PvP at launch. And the price of the box for an online game.
            - The multiplayer cooperative section of the market would be complaining more visibly (as above for competitive) about ridiculous region splitting whey they just want to smite demons with their friends and family on other continents (and ignoring the RMAH as irrelevant to them).
            - Blizzard would sell far fewer copies because they would be describing it as a spinoff rather than the continuation of a major franchise, even if the content was the same.

- And most importantly, they wouldn’t be spearheading the anti-player experiment of server-based, rent-to-play, microtransaction-supported single player games!

• subedii says:

I agree.

Not much more I can think of to say really, I pretty much agree with all of that.

• UmmonTL says:

Software as a service would mean that they have to reimburse you for the time where said service is not available to you for longer than a certain amount of time as stated in the contract. I guess something like that isn’t included in the D3 EULA or whatever but if thats the direction games will go to, I wouldn’t buy a game that doesn’t guarantee no more than one day per week of downtime.

• Gasmask Hero says:

Since Skynet achieved conciousness in 1997, you’re technically from the past. And since we’re all alive, it’s a past that never happened. By default, therefore, your comments are meaningless.

• Hematite says:

Hah, spoke like someone who’s never killed their grandfather and erased themselves from existence!

CLEARLY once Skynet achieves sentience it will/has sent beta code for the original Diablo back to 1995 to enable its own creation and the subsequent enslavement of humanity.

9. Torgen says:

Have this preordered, so will pass on this so that someone else gets in. :)

10. irongamer says:

I own Diablo 3, but I’m excited to try out this beta. Currently downloading. Will be nice to have a real gameplay comparison.

11. Tupimus says:

I also find it amusing how much Whimsyshire reminds me of Torchlight’s aesthetics.

12. MythArcana says:

Been signed up and waiting. It never fails, the only people getting keys are those with 3 or less posts and just signed up to the site within a week. *Sigh*

No justice in the world I tell ya’…

Keymonk says:

I know, right?

I have no less than two friends who signed up very recently and immediately got the invite. I’ve had an account for ages and have gotten squat.

• Nevard says:

I hope that’s true, I want a beta key

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

Justice would be the people who have already paid for it in full getting beta access. :P

• Gonefornow says:

Yeah..
      Signed up yesterday.
      Got a key today.
      Luck! I love it.

13. Keukeu says:

This game is awesome and very cheap, I love it.

14. Kestrel says:

“Torchlight 2 Stress Test” and other such titles are exactly why I love RPS. You guys are awesome.

15. Nevard says:

Have they bothered putting any actual useful information on their site yet?
    I want to be excited about the game but it’s hard when they give me basically no details on the classes apart from flavour text.

I want skill tree details, damn it!

• Malk_Content says:

PCgamer have a series of videos on Youtube (I started here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ceQwKJjUCo ) giving a brief overview of each of the classes and there are quite a few long videos scattered around from the beta (Totalbiscuit and Yogscast have some footage as well as a bunch of others.)

I think they are following a similar marketing strategy to T1, let people play it and talk about it and save resources that way.

16. Moni says:

I’m warming up my error 37 jokes.

17. Moraven says:

Why bother wasting time with a stress test when all everyone wants is offline single player?

18. Lagwolf says:

No beta invite for me either :( Oh well some guys have all the luck.

19. Hilden2000 says:

I wish there was an Oprah Winfrey of Beta keys.

“You get a Beta Key!”

“YOU get a Beta Key!”

“EVERYBODY gets a Beta Key!”

20. Fiwer says:

This game would have been killer if it had come out pre Diablo 3, it’s pretty much the pinnacle of Diablo 2 ripoffs, in fact it’s the first one to actually surpass Diablo 2. Unfortunately, it’s still a clone of Diablo 2 and things like skill trees, having to hoard stat points because you’re not sure where/when to place them, a lack of respecs past level 10, etc. that all seemed fine before Diablo 3 came out are suddenly a lot less palatable.

One thing the game gets right though, your character moves really god damn fast. Any faster and it would probably be too fast, but as it is it feels great.

21. cosmicolor says:

I got into the beta myself, posting up opinions and stuff on the rps boards. Am overall enjoying it so far, much like what I’ve played of D3.

22. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

I don’t know anything about this game or Diablo or really the aRPG genre, but I just wanted to say that it’s funny how this game looks more like a Blizzard game (i.e. WoW) than Diablo does.

23. MordeaniisChaos says:

Looks like they saved the BEAST for last.
    HAHA.

24. AltF4 says:

this looks even more cartoony than diablo 3, pass

also releasing this a month after D3 instead of before is just plain crazy

25. Buzko says:

Signed up last night, got my beta key just now. Now if only I weren’t shaped…

26. Ephaelon says:

c/o Bluesnews comments:

“BTW guys, if any of you signed to the beta and didn’t get an email, check your account at the runic site itself. I got my key there but never received an email.”
    “Found it under My Product Keys, even though I never got an email.”

Hope it helps some of you all.

27. Freud says:

It looks like WoW.

drewski says:

What a coincidence, Diablo III is also undergoing a stress test this weekend.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Crap.

29. dmoe says:

This is one of those games where screenshots and HD online videos do not capture how pretty and smooth it is. Even under heavy monster killin’.

It’s really great. The combat response feels so good in this.

30. Yglorba says:

I’m a bit concerned about this game. Apparently it has some weird feature that lets you continue to play even when access to the company’s servers are disrupted — do you think that that’s going to work? I mean, what if I want to switch from my single-player character to online multiplayer? What if I want to buy things from their cash-enabled auction house? It also means I won’t get patches instantaneously while I play!

I’m not sure I trust this whole newfangled “offline single-player” thing, to be honest.

• AltF4 says:

i know, expect the game to be hacked left and right, rampant cheating through the roof

• RegisteredUser says:

I mean just imagine, a singleplayer experience that you might be able to change from your side.

Unthinkable.

• Hematite says:

I know! I can’t bear the thought of other players finishing the game when they might have cheated to get better gear. Worse, if someone co-ops with me how will I know they aren’t using duped items to help me out? This game is going to fail HARD!

• Screamer says:

But how will the singleplayer experience be enhanced with off-line? How will I save my cloud?

31. DotCom616 says:

I have to say so far this is much, much better than the first game.

32. Metonymy says:

Having played both around 5 hours each now, my opinion is that torchlight 2 is the better game, and that diablo 3 has better novelty.

Fights are actually difficult in T2, assuming you’re playing on veteran, (which everyone should) your stat allocations have real repercussions, for both when loot is available, and how nerve-racking the fights are. T2 allows you the choice of getting every skill, or specializing, without severely punishing you for each decision. Level 1 versions of every skill are good enough to handle whatever situation you’re using them in, which the level 15 versions look to be an average of twice as good.

The charge system is basically just a timed resource management system, which I consider to be only an average inclusion. You’re fighting timers rather than monsters. The characters are clearly designed to use a lot of skills, so choosing to streamline into just a few skills could oversimplify some classes, especially engineer. Loot fatigue is quite real, with the gameplay being so similar to what you’re used to, it’s hard to get terribly excited about the next drop. This is definitely a game where you want to enjoy your personal character design, and the plot events. There’s plenty to enjoy there. T2 still suffers from the weird difficulty in ‘clicking on enemies’ that T1 had. If you don’t click precisely you’ll spend a lot of time wandering around at random.

Zerkers have an amazing and fun skill-set, outcasts appear to be a combination of cursebot/amazon which seems clearly overpowered, embermages are very straightforward nukers, and engineers appear to be melee focused, (with pets and heals) which is a little disappointing.

Diablo 3 has the advantage of being less like anything you’ve played before, but the complete inability to design your character instantly renders all progression meaningless, since a high level monk has every ability you will ever want or need. There is no reason to ever level another one. I predict complete player burnout in less than 3 months.

T2′s longevity will depend entirely on how well designed the unique weapons are.

• Catalept says:

The only time I ever wanted to ‘design’ my TL chars is either when I realized that my point allocation wasn’t remotely optimal, or when I wanted to try a new talent build. I’m not sure how Diablo3′s system is worse… and why on earth would I want to level two of the same class just to try a new skillset?? I’d rather just max out one of each class, thanks.

For me, TL2′s skill system is the only thing I’m [i]not[/i] looking forward to. “Add a point to get a 5% hotter fireball”. Bleh. I want a mod that replaces TL2′s skill system with Diablo3′s. Internet people! Get to it!

• Metonymy says:

Wow, you’re being serious. What the player wants is totally irrelevant.

How you could overlook that the entire game is built around teasing the player with things they can’t have yet is astounding to me. If you can play “any version” of a diablo 3 character once you reach max level, what is the point or purpose of continuing to play with that character? Even if finding a new item makes a new build work better, how will you feel any connection to that new style? You already had a functioning playstyle, and are now instantly zapped to full strength with the new style. It will be fun for around 5 minutes.

It’s sad that this diablo team is so inexperienced that they think they can design away an optimal playstyle, or that an optimal playstyle diminishes the game in some way.

33. MadTinkerer says:

As someone who lived in London for six years I have to say:

Oi, Diablo, indeed. :D

34. killmachine says:

still no beta key. i am sad. :(

• f1x says:

Try subscribing to their newsletter and linking to the forum account, not that it should make any difference, but just in case ;)

35. f1x says:

I made the account this morning, and got a key one hour after

This will be perfect, as I’m still waiting for Diablo3 box to arrive (ordered from Game.co.uk, such a great idea from my side)

36. UncleLou says:

Just got a key, thanks, RPS and Runic! Now I just need to remove the misses from the PC! :)

37. Lemming says:

I’m so tempted to take part in this, but I want to remain unspoiled for release day I think.

38. baby snot says:

So I finished downloading game when the client closed and upon reopening began to download the same file whereupon I promptly uninstalled the lot. Another day.

39. skyturnedred says:

It won’t even let me create an account. Well, once it did say “account succesfully created” but it wouldn’t let me log in after that. Guess I’ll wait for release then.

40. RDG says:

Me and the missus got our keys last night and we spent a good 6 hours on the beta. Impressions:

- Gameplay is excellent. Really good. It just feels right, like every punch, stab and slice connects as it should. Really impressed.
    - Audio is very good. Excellent music with enough variation. Sound effects are also great.
    - Graphically I’m not really into the cartoony look but the levels are designed quite nicely even though they’re randomly generated. Huge outdoor levels and mildly linear dungeons make for a good mix. Weather effects and day/night cycle is also a good addition.

Compared to Diablo I’d say Diablo is the better looking one with the better presentation and storyline but this little €20 gem takes the price for gameplay hands down and as far as I can judge replayability in this early stage I’d say T2 takes that too. Levels are really random and have enough variety. You never spend too long in one level type so they don’t get boring.

Back to be beta!

41. Hug_dealer says:

enjoying the game so far.

The big reason. Difficulty. Yes i dont have to play throught the game once in order to actually have the game be a challenge, i can simply hit a button and bam its tougher.

42. trjp says:

I think it’s massively amusing that in the midsts of the D3 ragefest that there’s an “online only” T2 Beta weekend :)

It’s nice to play it tho – applied yesterday, key appeared today – not a huge download (not huge speeds downloading either ofc) – game seems fun.

Problem is, I got quite bored of TL and this started to feel similar by the time I’d hit Level 8ish. Even on Veteran, which seems to offer some challenge, I was getting a BIT bored of it. The same time spent in the D3 Beta gave me a lot of options in terms of spells and stuff and I felt a bit more powerful (although the difficulty in that was stupidly low) – here it feels a bit more of a grind, perhaps.

Also, we’re back in the ‘buried upto the neck in loot’ territory T1 staked-out – and 99.9999% of it is crap you’ll just get sick of lugging around (yes, I know, your pet and all that but it’s still a bit of a grind). In an hour of play I think I found 2 useful items – and emptied both inventories into the shop 3-4 times over…

Still – nice to have options…

43. rustybroomhandle says:

Don’t much care for aRPGs myself, but I promise to play Diablo 7 if it has a Spy class.

44. wuwul says:

On what planet do the Torchlight developers live?

Diablo 3 just released, so everyone is going to be playing it and not have time for their game…

They should wait at least a month for D3 progress to finish (duh).

45. freshstix says:

Here : )

C9BD-3E34-8EFE-461F

I wont be able to use it so there ya go…

46. Ham Solo says:

After playing through the beta I’m confident it’ll be a good game. Looking forward to it.

47. TreeBeard says:

Let’s hope Torchlight 2′s servers manage, what with it being Amazon’s most pre-ordered game in history bound to get millions upon millions of people logging in all at once. Wait, you’re telling me TL and Diablo are only similar in gameplay? and Diablo 3 did stress test during the beta? Well golly!

48. Dizzard says:

I just noticed this morning I got an email with a key. I wasn’t actually expecting to get in. :o

Better late than never though. Downloading it now.

49. Screamer says:

Yay! Some news without the word Diablo in it!! Oh no wait…..

jrodman says:

Played this a bit on saturday and a whole lot on sunday.

My impressions are that it’s far more tightly made than torchlight 1. The mechanics work well. Played on veteran I found myself having to alter tactics here and there to be successful.

The skills seem mostly sensible, although I found there was not really enough information present in-game to know how effective they might be in various situations. Experimentation and websites will have to fill in, I suppose. The NPC who allows you to change skill points around says they’re locked after level 10. That seems dire. However the forums suggest that is not what will be in the final game.

They did some good work with the weapon differentiation, but with skills complementing weapon choice, I found it frustrating to not get upgrades for my selected type. In a game like WOW you can just search wowhead to figure out where to go get an upgrade. It might take a while, but you get it. In this game you might just have to change the way you play. That might keep things fresh or might be annoying.

The big downpoint, I felt, was that there was really just not very much to engage you in caring about the various questgivers and quest targets. In a linear dungeon somehow that seemed less necessary. Descend and kill until the baddy is dead. Here, the immediate goal is unclear, and why I would proceed in any particular direction is unclear. It’s also unclear who these various enemies are and why I should care about them. In a game in this mold, I think that’s a really big problem. The game is in some sense a treadmill, so you have to really be enjoying the various carrots dangled out in front of you, or it loses appeal.

Hopefully it will come together, or multiplayer will offer enough spice to make it all work. There are definitely some fun mechanics in the player powers to try out.