The RPS Verdict: Sniper Elite V2

By RPS on May 18th, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

World War II shooter Sniper Elite V2 has topped the all-format charts in the UK for the past couple of weeks, which meant it was time to turn the searchlight of RPS judgement on this high flier. Was it one of the great FPS sniping experiences? Or had Rebellion really just given everyone a good excuse to put a bullet in Hitler? Turns out that without his robot-suit, he wasn’t so tough.

Jim and Adam got together to talk killcams, testicles, and Thief with a rifle.

Somewhere, in a dark room behind the internet, two game bloggers have just finished playing Sniper Elite V2. To the grainy wailing of a 1930s diva over the wireless, we could make the following transcript:

Jim: The act of ending someone from far away has become peculiarly fetishised in videogames. You can see why: it’s a powerful thing to reach far out into the distance and snuff out a threat. Ideal, then, for the the entire basis for a game. But I think the feeling that I came away with from Sniper V2 was that it was a sniping game that bought into commercial design trends almost entirely. It was, in some ways, a sort austere WW2 that had fallen in with the Gears Of War crowd. It might be stood at the back of the room smoking a rationed cigarette, but it’s still hanging out with them.

Adam: I felt it was a commercial WW2 shooter that happened to have bits of sniping in it. More bits than is usual. I didn’t play the full campaign but what I did see convinced me that running and gunning was often the better option.

Jim: Well I don’t know if it was a better option, but it was certainly an option for a good portion of the time, which felt odd placed under that name. “Commando Elite” might have been more appropriate. “1940s Gun-Hero Elite.”

Adam: It was a better option than delving into the inventory at least. The tutorial teased me with trip wires and stones to throw and distract enemies, but they seemed cumbersome in the heat of the moment, things to use when they were meant to be used rather than cunning alternatives to the crosshairs or the iron sights. Did you find much use for distractions and traps?

Jim: I have to admit I was hoping it would be Thief with a rifle when I saw that stuff. Ultimately, though I tended to snipe the folks who were out in the open, and then machinegun everyone else. I would like to think the stone would have been vital if the AI were smarter… or dumber, or something. As it was I never found it too hard to get the next person into my crosshairs, because they came looking for me pretty readily, and there was no reason to send them away.

Adam: Yeah, any sort of tool becomes fairly pointless if the reactions to it aren’t, well, reactive enough. Maybe it’s one reason why guns are so consistently useful, beyond the simple fact of killing – the reaction doesn’t have to be particularly complex to be understandable. They either fire back, shout a lot, or try to find cover. I did enjoy sniping, I have to say. I wonder whether I’d have the patience for a whole campaign of it, so I can certainly see why I get to pull out a machinegun so often.

Jim: I suppose my feeling was that they’d created this versatile action game, and taking people out from a distance only has so much mileage, so yes, like you say, ending up with a submachinegun in your hands seems inevitable. And it’s mostly a solid action game. I couldn’t help feeling, though, that it practically wastes the idea of a game whose calling card is long-distance headshots. A sniping game needs large theatres, where you choose your position etc. This game was far more linear lone hero. I mean, crucially, true sniping takes place in suipport of other troops. A genuinely interesting sniper game would see you – as we’ve seen in a few FPS mini-sniper sequences over the years – firing over the heads of chums to take out important baddies.

Adam: Absolutely – the sniper should be a tool to support other things that are happening. When he becomes the only thing that is happening, at least on one side of things, then he inevitably has to down tools and become something else. It’s very much a game about being a soldier with everything that a soldier can have except, crucially, a squad, or an army even, to be part of. That seems kind of important. Particularly for a specialist.

Jim: Yes, indeed. That said, the game’s philosophy as a whole is about sort of glamorising the sniper as a one-man army. Especially with the absurd kill-cam stuff, which made me hoot with laughter, in a bad way.

Adam: I think I already mentioned this privately, but my girlfriend thought I was actually shooting the skin off someone’s head when it went to X-ray. That was the highlight of it for me. I never actually saw a testicle shot, even though there are millions of them on Youtube. Does that actually happen? Do I have to unlock testicle shots?

Jim: I dunno about the testicles, I never saw it happen. But rightly so regarding the skin being shot off. Why *can* I see that Nazi’s bones?

Adam: That’s some relief then. I didn’t find it hard to get headshots all the time,, although I wasn’t playing on hard, and I certainly wasn’t going to aim for a gut just to get an achievement for it.

Jim: It’s certainly a better game on hard difficulty settings, but there were still issues with general wonkiness in places. It does have problems. Such as that bit in our co-op session where we didn’t trigger the baddies spawning to go off. Hilariously, the trigger was in the middle of a large corridor, exactly where the sniper would not go if he was exfiltrating – their word – the building

Adam: Exfiltration is rubbish. I quite enjoyed the co-op when we were infiltrating. When we were exfiltrating it was just running through explosions toward a point on a minimap.

Jim: Yes, it that was a lame “cinematic” sort of bit. But I really did enjoy that session. The co-op did seem to adhere that rule – which doesn’t apply to John of course – that games are just better with other people in. We were able to do that actual snipery thing of covering each other as we infiltrated.

Adam: Yeah, and because there’s the versatility in the sniper/super-soldier that I complained abut earlier, it does mean that one person can choose to take on the sniping while another is a sort of assault chappie. And it’d be easy to switch back and forth as well. But I’m not convinced the actual maps are all that interesting – you’ve seen more of them, what do you reckon?

Jim: No, it was extremely unsurprising. It looks good, no doubt about it, but there was some higher grade of style missing. Partly that’s the World War II setting, which we’ve all seen before. I think there are ways of doing it though, the best games do manage to make that stuff fresh, it just wasn’t here. There wasn’t enough art to it, even when the technical stuff was good. And it was overly obvious that the level design spec was one of those “well you need to have alternate routes through the level, this is a sniper game!” So there was always the main bit, and the side bit. And it sort of worked, but it became too obvious most of the time. And the environments really all needed to be larger for the sniping thing to ever be interesting. God, I wait for the day when we actually get a worn-torn Berlin to crawl through in this kind of game, instead of one street bookended with scripted events. Anyway, that was to be expected. What I suppose I am most surprised about is the general popularity of the game. Does it really prove that people just want to be able to snipe Hitler and Nazi testicles? Or is there something else going on?

Adam: It must have tapped into the general shooter crowd. It’s recognisable in its WW2 trappings and it doesn’t look unimpressive. And on top of that, interest from people who were hoping for Thief with a rifle, or at least a game that allowed for a slightly different approach to Nazi shooting. I don’t know if the kill cams helped. They certainly used them enough in the marketing. Kill cams and Hitler. Put them in all marketing. See what happens.

Jim: It seems to have worked! We can expect more next year, no doubt.

Adam: Yes, maybe with a tasteful Osama Bin Laden preorder bonus.

Jim: I suppose the conclusion here needs to be that Sniper V2 is mostly solid as a linear shooter with co-op and multiplayer options, but that it does not fall far from a template that many of us are now tired of. If you want genuinely breathtaking sniper experiences, you’ll have to look elsewhere. I heard that Arma 2 game is good, especially with a few mods.

Adam: Sounds about right. And I still haven’t played Day Z, which makes me sad even though it’s entirely my own fault.

Jim: That is very sad. I think I am going to go and play it right now. My character just got a sniper rifle – topical!

Adam: And I shall play Endless Space and attach sniper rifles to spaceships. Hurrah!

Jim: Gosh, all is right with the world.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. The Tupper says:

I’m glad Rebellion are making some money. Any outfit that buys 2000ad lock stock and barrel has to be okay.

• Diziet Sma says:

This. I still read 2000AD.

• The Tupper says:

I fell away from the comic in the early nineties (having read it since the beginning) but I’m very glad it still exists.

• roryok says:

Me too. I ran a Sinister Dexter fan site for ages. Interviewed Dan Abnett and Simon Davis for it. It’s like a different life!

• The Tupper says:

Yeah, it’s hard to square with my life now, but my 2000ad purchase was the best part of the week back then. Curiously on a Friday evening here in Glasgow, despite the cover date being ‘in orbit every Monday’.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Like Chappelle’s defense of Michael Jackson “he made Thriller… Thriller…” Rebellion made Aliens vs Predator. Nevermind that newish 2010 version, the original 1999 version was a masterpiece. Unfortunately, a lot of their games haven’t had the best of receptions of the past few years.

I’m really enjoying SEV2 and, while I can understand why many might not like various elements of the game, it really is a damn fine title. I really hope Rebellion continues to have success and grow in the future. I would hate to see them go down the road of Monolith Productions, even though Monolith did have some recent success with Gotham City Impostors.

2. SirKicksalot says:

They should make a Rogue Trooper sequel.
    I’m sort of surprised they’re not making a Judge Dredd movie tie-in now.

• Cinek says:

If anything: Someone should make Rouge Squadron sequel. Only a proper one, not the consolish-silly so-called sequels to it.

• roryok says:

They should make a Sinister Dexter game. Or a Strontium Dog Bounty hunting game. Actually when I heard the plot of Prey 2 that’s all I could think of.

• jezcentral says:

Yeah, the Rogue Trooper game was a lot of fun. I think it was my favourite shooter of 2006.

There are so many IPs in there. Strontium Dog, ABC Warriors, Robo Hunter and, of course, Judge Dredd. I wish they’d do more with it. Mind you, it was all such a huge part of my childhood I’d buy a point’n'click adventure starring the Mighty Tharg. :)

• sebmojo says:

Forget Rogue Trooper, they should make a Rogue Trader game. Space Rangers 2 meets DOW2 meets Elite.

3. Eukatheude says:

I’ve been playing it in the last few days and meh. It really is too linear. I remember the first one having much opener maps, and actual stealth was an option. I also didn’t like the “you can shoot now” thingy on the upper right corner, or the objective indicator. Big disappointment for me, i was expecting something more like the first, or even opener and with better stealth mechanics. It’s not a bad game, but feel very mediocre to me.

4. Totally heterosexual says:

Well thats a shame.

That was kind of lame for my first post here huh?

5. codename_bloodfist says:

Do we still shoot our allies in this one?

• Smion says:

Yes, we do and I think that one of the things that sets it apart from the majority of other manshoots is the sheer cynicism of the story. Other than that as Jim and Adam said it’s mostly COD crossed with the new Splinter Cell and some physics.
      Edit: Ignore what I said about the story, there’s a really dumb twist. It’s shit.

• KenTWOu says:

it’s mostly COD crossed with the OLD Splinter Cell. Cause your movement is slow and clunky as I can see in demo version of the game. It’s also worth mentioning that the game clearly forces you to kill enemies from great distance with sniper rifle. It gives you several thousand points for precise headshot and only 15 points for CQC stealth kill. You get more points if you kill somebody with your pistol or machine gun. Even fast and fluid SC:Conviction has more focus on stealth.

• Smion says:

Well, duh it’s called Sniper Elite for a reason.
          The thing is though (and maybe that’s just ’cause I’m rubbish at shooter games and therefore suck with the SMG) I’d still say it’s an okay stealth game (at least on the highest difficulty which you should choose) but the stealth is less about killing all the enemies without them noticing but about getting yourself in a position where you are able to take out the fascist hordes at all, preferably without them getting close to you (and boy do you need your gadgets to make sure of that).
          I’ll readily admit that it does suffer immensely from the rather linear structure of the levels and would have been much improved if it actually had some sort of open world (think Far Cry 2 for example) and allowed the player more freedom in finding the place from which to strike.

• kio says:

There was a twist? I don’t even remember the story. Something about a missile and then shooting the guy who made the missile, I think?

• sinister agent says:

Your character is an American soldier. Of course you shoot your allies. Whether you meant to or not is another question entirely.

6. Shooop says:

Spot on with the one-man-army with a sniper rifle quote.

The game has glimpses of brilliance like allowing you to mask shots with loud noises in some areas and sometimes rewarding you for situational awareness. But it’s still a “Go to point A, then B” with a sniper rifle instead of the creep-around-and-pick-your-targets-wisely-sandbox it really should have been.

Way too many times it actually forces you to go with a run-and-gun approach even though most the game’s mechanics are obviously designed with the opposite in mind. Several times I was downright frustrated because of it. But I needed something to help fill the bloody hole left by Solider of Fortune 2 and for now this’ll do.

7. Alikchi says:

“I dunno about the testicles…” – Jim Rossignol, Rock Paper Shotgun Dot Com, May 2012.

8. dsch says:

I played this for about five missions before I realised it was more or less exactly the same game as the first one, exactly as stifling, with the same non-existent AI. I now get slightly sick at the thought of having played it.

9. sinister agent says:

I think you kind of touched on why it’s so oddly (to me, anyway, having played the first and been a bit disappointed, though it’s by no means BAD) popular – people want a sniper game, and really, what else is there? Most shooters have a sniper rifle, and sometimes a sniper-heavy bit, but don’t go much farther than that.

I think there is demand for a sniper game that’s more realistic/accurate/complex than Sniper Elite, but not quite as impenetrable or demanding as Arma 2 (which besides being demanding is neither dedicated to sniping or worth playing alone). It’s as simple as that.

I won’t be getting this though. I barely got halfway through the first before getting bored of SMG-ing everything, and I frankly can’t stand that ridiculous x-ray vision thing.

About the scriptedness – does it do the same “teleporting enemies directly behind you” thing as the first? Because that really pissed me off, to be honest.

• dsch says:

Yes, enemies still spawn on script. I’ve even caught them materialising out of thin air on a few occasions.

• Shooop says:

The full game allows you to adjust the kill cam. You can turn it off almost completely (it will only activate for shots against your objective targets) or turn it up.

Rebellion did a very good job in regards of menu options, pity the game itself doesn’t offer more other than “go down path A or B to get to point C”.

And there are more than a few enemies that spawn on triggers. It’s something that really annoyed me later in the game, but they don’t pop in behind you at least.

10. slychocobo says:

I’m actually a little surprised!

I found the game to be.. well enjoyable. The Sniping is fun (although I agree there is an awful lot of running/gunning, and the “tools” are a bit naff as most require prep-time so you need pre-cognition to use them effectively)

But I did play it all the way through to the end, and even a bit of the multiplayer which was good for a laugh… Thats a lot more than I can say about a lot of games I’ve played recently..

11. El_Emmental says:

As sinister agent already said above, this game sold simply because it has “Sniper” and “Elite” in its title, and features some sniping gameplay (but that’s not even the most important part).

When the gentlemen at Activision called their subscription-based service “Call of Duty: Elite”, they chose that word knowingly. Whenever you play a Halo game or a CoD game, you’re always a member of an “elite” squad, in charge of saving the world while looking cool.

Anything related to elite soldiers always fascinated young males (and propaganda rapidly understood that), that’s why you’re going to see countless of young males adoring anything related to the “SS” (SchutzStaffel) in any “popular” WW2 games (early CoD and MoH, Day of Defeat, Red Orchestra, etc) despite the war crimes against civilians, same with the whole fuzz about US special forces (remember the cheesy comics ?) even after we learned about some of the undercover operations (South America anyone ?). Hell, they even sold a game based on “black” operations (Black Ops), even if many of them were plain illegal (in terms of international law and treaties).

[ Only Operation Flashpoint 1 had the guts to make you play as the most basic grunt first, giving you a better rank, equipment and soldiers under your command only after several successful missions - and if I recall correctly, the sniper rifle is one of the last thing you get. And you get to see the "good guys" (aka USA) dropping the ball (due to their wider strategy) when the local resistance is asking for support. ]

Same with the recruitment campaigns for the real-life armies, they don’t show you loading and unloading crates at the base for months, or getting shot at (by small-arms or mortar) from unknown directions without being able to shoot back, they show the cool tech-ed up soldiers leading a successful night raid (and not one of these night raids where it’s the wrong house and/or it’s full of panicked civilians screaming in terror).

Regarding the “sniper” fetishism, I think it has to do with the “all the satisfaction of eliminating the enemy, none of the stress of vulnerability”. If I was dishonest, I would call out the similarity with cheaters, and how cheaters often use sniper rifles rather than other weapons when doing their deeds, but I’m totally not saying that.

With the solo-sniper, you have the cake and eat it, while being congratulated as the “best soldier” in the army. There is little to no room for frustration.

If the sniping was “realistic”, or like we should say “credible”, technically aiming would be much harder, wind would affect our bullets, etc. And it would be extremely long (and rather boring) to do a single kill:
    - spending most of your time gathering informations, reporting it back.
    - spending hours (or at least 15 minutes) reading the intels, learning the maps, waiting for an opportunity window.
    - then actually starting your mission, getting closer to your target (behind the front line) by sneaking behind patrols, radars ; waiting a lot, analyzing their defense.
    - finding out you missed your target, or you can’t find a shooting-window.
    - or finally reaching your target, finding the right moment, the right spot.
    - going for the kill with a single shot, not missing it.
    - avoiding retaliation patrols, artillery shelling on your last reported position.
    - crawling your way back to your HQ, or crawling your way to another target.

If the sniping was actually being a marksman (= a “sniper” in a squad), you would have to be that average infantry man, doing the infantry chores, and sometime using your scope to take out a target outside the average range of other infantry men.

No “elite” bullcrap, no “secret” mission, just being the long-range soldier: good at long range, crap at suppressing an enemy position, or clearing a building/covering a small street/anything related to urban CQC. A house ? step aside, you can’t do that. A small street ? step aside, you’re not geared up for that.

The vast majority of players wouldn’t tolerate that, the humility it takes to endure this is just too much for someone who’s counting the bangs-bangs he gets to produce for the bucks he paid.

All that “elite” and “sniper” commercial exploitation is purely based on the phantasm built up by the military propaganda during wartime, then continued by the entertainment industry since the concepts were well-established in the entertainment culture.

It’s so far from reality it’s extremely successful among people (especially the younger ones): suddenly, war is not longer hell, it’s no longer pain, fear, uncertainty and death – it’s suddenly a wonderful adventure, of camaraderie, of heroism, of fighting against evil, of defending your freedom – you no longer die for nothing, you now die as a hero, for a noble cause => socially, you reach the equivalent of heaven. “God is great” in this case I guess.

Personally, I think it’s not morally right to exploit the entertain-ification of war that much, there are limits.

Games insisting on elitism, reheating the old propaganda used by all* armies around the round to recruit young males and to legitimize wars, without any subtlety, are (un)consciously allowing the societies of their players to let wars happen more frequently, more easily. And that’s terrible.

* Kudos to the swedish army for making fun of that kind of propaganda: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AprqomTW-Wo

• grundus says:

A sniper/marksman, crap at suppressing a position? Are you mad?

You do make some good points though, but ultimately you might be taking what is clearly a throwaway Hollywood shooter a bit too seriously.

• El_Emmental says:

Regarding the “suppressing a position”, I was talking about a long suppressive fire on a rather large position (usually done by machine-gunners, who can afford that with the bigger magazine capacity and the higher ROF), not just suppressing a single position (in this latter case, what I said is false – a sniper can do that perfectly).

I know it’s a throwaway Hollywood shooter (“Sniper Elite V2″, it’s written on the can), I just wanted to share my opinion regarding its commercial success and why sniping seems to be mandatory in every single FPS now (and for the last 10 years) – why a rather average game, with generic level design, low replayability, one-trick-pony gimmick (the bullet vision + the x-ray vision), would sell so much – why you would get an often poorly-made sniping part in every single FPS, no matter what type of gameplay/environment the game contains.

• Shooop says:

Actually a proper sniper can pin down enemy position for a long time. The fear that if you stick your head out you’ll be the next to die is very good at immobilizing people.

The Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock managed to suppress an entire NVA rifle company for five days straight.

• Eukatheude says:

Great post, i enjoyed reading it and agree on pretty much everything.

• stupid_mcgee says:

In all actuality, a pure-on sniping game would be very boring. It would involve lots of waiting and waiting and waiting while you stand a good mile (1.6km) away (or more), your buddy taking readings and doing measurements, you adjusting your scope, repeat, repeat, repeat, hone on target once it finally comes into view, take measurements, adjust, wait for the right moment, fire, and then hightail it out of there.

Sniping missions usually don’t have the team stick around. If you’re with a squad, you’re going to be positioned to support their operation and you will typically cover their extraction and then meet up with them. You will normally be too far away to provide any meaningful CQC.

To give you an idea of actual sniping distance, a British sniper managed to snag a world record for longest shot. 2.47 km (1.54 miles), two shots killing two Taliban. source

“At a distance like that they cannot even see anyone and they would not even hear the muzzle report,” Plaster said.

• Leosaurus says:

“good at long range, crap at suppressing an enemy position, or clearing a building/covering a small street/anything related to urban CQC. A house ? step aside, you can’t do that. A small street ? step aside, you’re not geared up for that. ”

Mostly on point (not going to argue over some technicalities) as I was an SDM (Squad Designated Marksman) as an 11B (Infantryman) in the Army. However, want to note that the part about being shit at urban warfare is a load of crap. DSMs are at their most effective in urban warfare, and from my personal experience a squad is at a distinctive disadvantage in an urban environment without a DSM. Clearing houses is also not terribly difficult… everyone in the squad participates, including the SAW gunners. You just put your riflemen in first simply because it’s their job….not that anyone else can’t do it. The mechanics of clearing a house don’t change with the weapon…the same techniques work no matter what platform you’re using. They’re pretty simple….clear the fatal funnel as quickly as possible, reach your points of domination as quickly as possible, cover your sector. Not much hard about that.

• El_Emmental says:

hm, I’m sorry for going into the extreme (I’m too sentimental with the “sniper” stuff in game), and I’m happy a real DSM could bring us the real facts :)

I was trying to mention how a bolt-action rifle aren’t appropriate for CQC, I was trying to say the marksmen/snipers are specialized units, not “Super Soldier (Level 100)”, that everyone have a specific role. In games like CoD, you can take point with a bolt-action rifle (simply because level design is mostly made out of corridors, and the sniper rifle is a one-hit-kill weapon), while it sounds rather logical to let automatic weapons take point first in a credible war game.

Regarding urban warfare, you’re right that I wrongly used that word, a DSM is indeed really really useful every time there’s a (potential) target at 50 meters (and more). Regarding house clearing, as I’ve never had the opportunity (hopefully ?) to do such a thing in real life, I assumed it was much riskier and difficult to do (as it is in video games), I guess I learned something today.

Thank you Leosaurus for clearing that up :)

12. Skabooga says:

Speaking of DayZ sniping experiences, I’ve had a couple which left me shaking and sweating profusely, mostly because I was on the receiving end.

13. Warskull says:

The game is actually fairly fun, just not $50 fun. Some places were selling it for $30 and it was a pretty good deal at that price.

My biggest complaint is the lack of co-op overwatch missions. The co-op overwatch mode was probably the best part of the game.

The items are crazy good if placed right, but you have to know the mission already to place them in the right spots.

The campaign is pretty short. Overall, it is something worth picking up when it gets a good steam sale. It is fun. The fact that it factors in travel time, bullet drop, and wind when you snipe makes the shooting a bit different from your CoD games.

It clearly could have been much more, but as it stands it is still pretty fun to line up a good shot.

14. BigJonno says:

I think that it’s success can be largely attributed to it being a solid shooter in a popular setting that doesn’t spend half the time making you wait behind all your squad mates while they open doors. I agree that it’s more a commando game than a sniper game, but I don’t see that as an inherent failing.

15. Navagon says:

It’s a shame that the demo does appear to be an accurate depiction of the overall experience. I was hoping it was a hastily assembled effort that lacked the ability to take down most enemies at a distance befitting a sniper.

It was still pretty good in its own way. But like you say, it lacks the courage to define its own path and falls prey to convention.

16. asura kinkaid says:

also um… unless you pre-ordered you don’t get to you know. kill hitler. or if you live in germany. then you don’t get to kill the ol’ doflie at all. that would be unpatriotic. i kid you not.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Not true. Killing Hitler was DLC. Pre-orders got the DLC on day-one, for free (of course). The DLC will be released (for a price, of course) to the rest of us sometime soon. At least, that’s what an admin at the SEV2 forums said.

yes it will definitely be available at some point soon.

source

• asura kinkaid says:

you say potatoe. point is, if you shell out now you don’t get to shoot him in the nuts, at least for now. and, as per german perverted legal system, you won’t get to play it at all, unless the publisher deigns to provide devs with financial resources to have them give him a twirly stache and call him Hotleur or some such. which may not make financial sense. or some such.

also day 1 dlc is not dlc. its something that they cut out of the game, for legal reasons, since they had to, for germany, decided to make the best of a bad situation and charge extra for it in the regions which would otherwise not be affected.

• RegisteredUser says:

Erm. There was never a ban on Hitler for being unpatriotic.
      There is however fairly retarded censorship logic prevailing in Germany still that is uber-angsty about violence(corpses / corpses that don’t fade, red blood etc) and third reich-y-ness in videogames.

Because seeing much worse shit in a late night movie on satellite TV is fine, its the videogames that really threaten to morally ruin us.

17. stupid_mcgee says:

Yes, you certainly can shoot people in the testicles. I’ve hit enemies in just one and also in both. It requires nothing more than aiming in the correct area and successfully hitting.

I think the only thing I really disagree with is the secondary items (trip mines, grenades, the rock, etc.) being mostly pointless. Setting up a good trip mine will certainly help when you have a bunch of guys trying to clamor into the house you’re holed up in while taking out their buddies. Throwing a rock can help congregate guys in an area to blow them up by shooting a dynamite bundle. Likewise, stealth killing a soldier, dragging their body somewhere just out of view of other patrols, planting a mine on it, and then throwing a rock to lure patrols works very well.

The thing that I’m really, really liking about V2 is that it reminds me of Metal Gear Solid in the way it handles stealth and combat. In MGS, you could go uber covert and stealth or you could run and gun. Both worked. Obviously, sometimes one technique was a bit more favored than the other, but it had healthy doses of both. I can either run in there and mow these dudes down or I can lure them into booby traps and isolate targets for an easier takedown.

I also thought that the environments were actually quite well done. Yes, the maps being rather linear is annoying, but the presentation was very good, IMO. I also like the posters that were everywhere, which is something that I don’t usually see many WW2 games do. Lastly, while this might seem rather lame, I thought the skyboxes in the game were stunningly beautiful.

I’m not saying that the game is perfect or immaculate, but I’ve completely enjoyed it. I don’t know if I would feel different if I had paid MSRP (I got it by Steam trading a few games for it), but probably not. I was hooked by the demo and I’ve had a blast with the main game.

18. psaldorn says:

Sounds like the reviewers would prefer to see a Designated Marksman Elite game. Me too!

I liked the first game, look forward to trying this once price is reduced (Kickstarted myself to poverty this month)

19. gjaagular says:

All of you (especially adam and jim) are fucking idiots go play with your legos

Comment on this story