Aliens: Colonial Marines Incubating Until 2013

By Adam Smith on May 21st, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

"Don't be so hasty, sir, these are top quality encyclopedias and at good prices!"

Back in February 2008 when Kieron first wrote that Gearbox were working on an Aliens game, you’d have had to be the sort of maniac who believes Prometheus is a sensible name for a hubris-invoking scientific expedition to propose that the game wouldn’t be released until February 2013. Today, any such maniacs can be released from the padded cells that hold them because it turns out they were right all along and it’s the rest of us who are mad for not invoking The Walker Principle with enough gusto. Randy Pitchford has today taken to the airwaves and declared that Colonial Marines will be released on February 12, 2013. There’s also a new trailer to get you all excited about something that is happening more than a half a year from now.

If there’s a delay beyond February 12th, I reckon Colonial Marines will end up being in development for more than a decade and will eventually be picked up and finished by 3D Realms.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Hope they use the same team who made that epic fail DNF….oh wait they did….

Pass from me not even if its free would I even play this Gearbox lied to PC gamers so many times do they have any credibility left??? & SEGA as publisher=minimal patching cycle but plenty of bugs (not just the ingame ones either!!).

• Nim says:

I tried to write a witty retort but now my head hurts from the strain of trying to understanding what I just read.

MonkeyMonster says:

time for the “dafuq I just read” meme?

• KenTWOu says:

PC-GAMER-4LIFE, just read this post about Borderlands 2 promised features.

• PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Whatever it will have 1mb of gameplay the rest will be level up unlocks & publisher enforced DLC/content removed from the full game as a paid for feature you should be grateful for!! (NOT).

Gearbox are more suited to console games I hope they abandon PC gaming altogether like Epic did a long time ago neither will be missed by me for sure!!

• Shuck says:

Er, so if you don’t care for the games they make and don’t care if they continue to make them for PC… then why do you care?
          (BTW, there is no “DNF team,” there was a constant stream of developers who worked on it, so therefore it certainly isn’t continuing to make games at Gearbox or anywhere else.)

• Brun says:

I imagine DNF was pretty much un-salvageable by the time it made its way into Gearbox’s hands. By that time their mandate was to get the game out the door so that some of the development costs could be recouped from the 12 years of hype.

• stupid_mcgee says:

I have no exact knowledge on it, but I’m willing to bet that Brun is right. 3D Realms changed engines several different times and I’m sure whatever they had when they went belly-up wasn’t even remotely all that usable. Sure, some of the assets maybe. Models, textures, etc. But I’m sure most of the game was done by Gearbox.

As for Gearbox themselves, while I wasn’t a huge fan of Borderlands, I really do appreciate their enthusiasm and how much Randy Pitchford communicates with fans. They seem genuinely appreciative of what they get to do and Pitchford has always come across as a very down-to-earth dude. Unlike Bleszinski who comes across as the frat boy who is a hardcore gamer because he plays Halo.

(I know Bleszinksi isn’t a total bro, but he adheres to that stereotype very fittingly and quite obnoxiously)

• Shuck says:

@Brun: Yeah, the amount of work done on the game once it ended up being supported by Gearbox was pretty minimal; the game was essentially already done. (And at that point no one was even going to suggest remaking the game again; that’s what got them in trouble in the first place.) Plus it wasn’t really ever in Gearbox’s hands, either – they largely just provided funding and some support. Triptych Games, made out of the remains of 3D Realms, were the ones who finished the project. (And since they only had 9 people from 3D Realms, they can’t really be called the “team that made DNF” either.)

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

“Unlike Bleszinski who comes across as the frat boy who is a hardcore gamer because he plays Halo.”

Just for the record, I actually got to play him in UT2003 at one point. He’s GOOD. Wiped the floor with everyone on the server. Far better than all of the other Epic employees I’ve played against, even though I’ve liked all the other Epic employees better. ;]

• aystiauw says:

There was that Alien mod for Doom, I think it was, tense, scary, monsters leapt out of the walls with whippy tails. Had the voices from the the film “Game over man!” when you died and those cool gun noises and everything. Couldn’t they just release that?

2. Shortwave says:

That trailor actually looked really awesome to me.
    This game is looking great I think, so I’m sad that I have to wait to play it.
    But the fact it looks that nice already and they are spending this much more time on it..
    It leads me to believe this game will be really polished and I’m glad.
    Because after the huge mess up of the last Aliens game, they really need to have a smooth launch..
    AND NO DLC PL0X.. K’bye.

• Baboonanza says:

Did you see the last trailer? Looked like a modern bland corridor shooter with an Aliens themed skin.

• Screamer says:

The 3rd person view of the floor was particularly exciting!

• nrvsNRG says:

really?
      it didnt really show enough to tell me anything tbh…not really any reason to get excited based on this trailer.
      but iam watching this space as i luuuurve aliens.

• jiasdft says:

Ramos W17Pro 7 Inch Tablet PC Android 4.0.3 First AML8726-MX Cortex A9 Dual Core HD Screen 1GB Ram 16G! 7% Cashback (10.00 €). It is really very nice!

• Shortwave says:

I guess I was mostly referring to level design, model detail and such.
      The atmosphere is really important in this type of game of course, I think they’re getting it.
      And really, I give them props for using ACTUAL game footage. Haha.
      I dunno, visually I think they’ve done great so far.
      And really there was nothing wrong gameplay wise in their previous titles.
      It was just botched with DLC.

And we can expect tessellation and other DX11 goodness for sure.
      Def’ a new pretty benchmark to play with. Heh.

jezcentral says:

@Shortwave, I dunno. Based on the Borderlands DLC, Gearbox really understand the DLC model and how to produce stuff that deserves a purchase .

• Shortwave says:

Yeaa, see.. I’m not sure which company did which Alien games at this moment but I can tell you this.
        The first day that DLC was released for Aliens VS Pred the entire online community for the game broke down and fell apart. Since then there has only been a few active servers full of people who seem to be obsessed with the game and terribly destroy any new comer who’s lucky enough to even figure out how to get into a populated server. (AKA, you can’t even find them in the games own server browser..)

Personally I’ve decided to never buy DLC again, as childish as such might think it is.
        I’ll totally buy an addon though.. The difference? An addon is usually something that took the dev’s actual work and time, usually months if not longer to complete.. DLC is already done but simply taken out of the game as a means to squeeze more money out of the customer without actually putting in much work at all. HEAR THAT DEVS? Spending months on new content, maps, levels, enemies, story arcs are you? DON’T CALL IT A FREAKIN’ DLC PL0X!!!! Call it an addon and have some self respect.

And rant over!

3. Unaco says:

Well that’s great, that’s just f*ckin’ great, man. Now what the f*ck are we supposed to do? We’re in some real pretty sh*t now man…

4. Baboonanza says:

Well, it’s a much better trailer than the last one but that because they aren’t showing any of the lackluster gameplay footage. There is nothing in there that shows how it actually plays.

DrScuttles says:

It would be nice if they put in a few of the naff Aliens stunt costumes as background monsters. Admittedly not nice enough to make me want to buy the game.

But then how many games coming out will boast flying fannies that you can shoot?

• Orija says:

Woah, those are too accurately designed to just be a coincidence.

• Iskariot says:

They are not a coincidence. Just have a look at stuff designed by Giger. Giger’s alien designs are meant to have sexual connotations.

• stupid_mcgee says:

True. I just finally started seriously plowing through AvP 2010 and I’m quite impressed at how well Rebellion stayed true to the art style. There’s quite a lot of sexualized imagery in the Alien’s concept art and I’m glad Rebellion didn’t shy away from it.

• rustybroomhandle says:

It’s a flygina!

• westyfield says:

Gearbox seem to have a thing for enemies with, shall we say, vaginas for faces.

6. Hug_dealer says:

its a first person shooter. There is no question to how it plays. You move, you shoot things.

The question is how well does it catch the alien atmosphere(ha you get it).

It looks about as good as everything else every released, but being aliens, i am interested more than say, any other fps out there.

The problem with aliens is the over exposure we now have. Things cease to be scary or intimidating the more we experience them. Which is why you cant repeatedly have the same villian in games and sequels. They lose their authenticity. They are has beens/washed up etc etc. The aliens have been defeated repeatedly now, in multiple games and films. They can no longer be taken seriously as an enemy.

Napalm Sushi says:

The special ingredient that made the first two films such classics was simply tension.

I watched Aliens less than a week ago due to the percieved heresy of my girlfriend not having seen it, and my DVD player counted a full hour and ten minutes before the first adult alien appears and the first real action occurs. When it does, it mostly comprises distant screams, ECGs flatlining and camera relays turning to static as the remaining monitors show grainy footage of panicked survivors firing offscreen at unseen assailants.

At various points around this, of course, we also see the famous motion tracker, possibly one of the most effective tension building devices in cinematic history.

Aliens was all about long periods of tense anticipation punctuated with flurries of sudden chaos. The game’s success at replicating its vibe, I think, will depend on the extent to which it realises this.

• Hug_dealer says:

sadly, what makes a good game and a good film are often quite different. You cant expect a player to do nothing for long periods of time. Now most games do the period of building tension, and then all hell breaks loose, followed by more tension then hell breaking loose again.

you can actually see that happen in many of the trailers for ACM already.

Now a great segment of the game would be for your soldier to actually lose his weapons somehow, and then you need to escape, that would help to make the player feel helpless, and the appearance of an alien would truly produce some fear and tension, but when the player is holding a gun or any weapon. Their entire mental state changes from feeling defenseless to i can kill anything.

DrScuttles says:

I do hope you showed her the superior theatrical cut. Even if you did show her the baggy and superfluous special edition, the real crime here is that she hadn’t seen the film at all.
        Just make sure that she now watches the assembly cut of Alien 3. Which I do prefer to Aliens. Unpopular opinion I know, but I stand by it.

Napalm Sushi says:

It was the Special Edition, but mainly because I’m a bit of an OCD completionist. If I could make my own ideal cut, I’d chop out all the pre-shit-going-down visits to LV-426 near the start, which, I agree, add nothing and actually sap some of the aforementioned tension, but keep the sentry gun scenes, since they effectively illustrate just how casually the aliens are willing to sacrifice themselves to achieve the goals of their hive.

7. Orija says:

I wonder how they’ll fit-in co-op amongst all these set-pieces.

8. skyturnedred says:

I’ve missed the sound coming from firing a pulse rifle. Only thing keeping you sane after long stretches of nothing but the sound of your motion tracker.

9. Jugulator says:

This looks really bland and boring, just another corridor shooter. Add to that the fact that all the scares seem to be based around enemies jumping on your face when you’re not supposed to expect them to jump on your face and you’ve got yourself another sub-mediocre game like AvP was back in 2011(or 2010, I’m not sure). Anyway, the point is, why are they still bothering to do this and why do people still buy this kind of crap ?

• Hug_dealer says:

what exactly are you expecting.

Aliens have always jumped out from where you arent expecting them. Its basically all the movies ever did.

Its like you arent even trying. I pose this question, how do you scare someone without doing something they arent expecting.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Um… Torture them? Even if you are expecting your nails to be pulled out, it’s still pretty scary to have happen to you.

• Hug_dealer says:

………………………………………..the name says it all. No one cares if you get your nails pulled out in a game. That just makes you want revenge.

10. Solrax says:

Best alt-text ever!

• Skabooga says:

Most definitely! Although I may be a bit biased, for my grandfather was at one point a door-to-door salesman for World Book Encyclopedias.

• Hatsworth says:

I’m biased too; my grandfather was a Xenomorph for quite some time.

11. Lemming says:

All these games are getting released on GoG and Steam already anyway, and you can’t buy from Origin if you have a Mac or Linux as far as I know, so by all means let devs put it on Origin as well for free.

I doubt they’ll see many sales on there though…

12. db1331 says:

I hope this turns out good. It’s such a great franchise, but developers have such a difficult time doing it justice. Now that it’s slipping to next year, it’s just a blip on my motion tracker.

Blip … … … Blip … … Blip … Blip Blip BlipBlipBlipBlip-AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Surely it’s the opposite way around if it’s vanishing into next year?

Whing-whing-whing-whing-whing…whing….whing…..whing……whing…….whing

• db1331 says:

That’s just what it wants you to think. It’s really just waiting in that air vent right down the hall.

13. jimjam says:

I actually liked the Rebellion reboot. Ok the learning curve was steep but the engine looked good and gave a gritty unique style which matched the movie’s well ( Play the tempest map in Dx11).
    From the fidelity of the graphics of this game, you can tell this reboot is aimed at the wii-u.
    But the biggest break of immersion for me, is the green pixel paint splodges of blood as they remind me of doom2!
    I can only hope the coop is as slick as borderlands cause that is the only thing that will push it to greatness.

As Frost said ‘ Man, I’m telling you, I got a bad feeling about this..’

• buzzmong says:

The Rebellion 2010 reboot was odd.

It had rather excellent production values. Everything (well, apart from the multiplayer menu/game finding bits) was pretty slick. It both looked and sounded good.

As a game it fell flat.

It might have been a case of expectations, I was hotly anticipating a mix between AVP Classic 2000 and AVP2
      In AVP2000 your Marine felt like a glass cannon, and all the more vulnerable despite the massive firepower, and AVP2 had a fairly decent and interesting plot, although it was a bit more slowed down gameplay wise.

Instead I got a slowish corridor shooter, where the xenos were a semi resistant to bullets and were pretty slow moving, a rather uninspiring story involving lots of androids and quite frankly, none of the fear from Rebellion’s previous effort, chucked in with some pretty obvious scripted set pieces.

The previous trailers for this new one from Gearbox don’t have me enthused either.

14. Lytinwheedle says:

Does another year of development mean that it will last longer than four hours, or will all the time be spent putting animations of jets toppling the Eiffel Tower into every map?

15. alsoran says:

16. kud13 says:

so, how many game sis that that have now been delayed to 2013?

prey 2, Bioshock, INfinte, now this…

we’d better not hear about DIshonored getting a similar treatment.

17. Bobtree says:

Orange and teal xenomorphs. Yuck.

18. eclipse mattaru says:

I like the precision of the date, it’s not just “February” –so you know this time it’s FOR REAL.

Didn’t they happen to tell the exact hour too? Because February 12 is going to be a pretty busy day for me.

19. MeestaNob says:

Almost impossible to be excited about a Gearbox game.

That and after previous trailers revealed it to be heavily scripted, and chock full of hoards of fragile aliens rather than a few HOLY-FUCKING-SHIT-HE’S-IN-HERE ones.