Edge Fund: The Journey Down HD On Sale Now

By Adam Smith on May 21st, 2012 at 11:00 am.

The fancy remake of AGS point and clicker The Journey Down: Over the Edge is now available. It’s certainly a looker, with a style very much its own, and John proclaimed that the original was “a point-and-clicker that really understood the genre”. The story of gas station owner Bwana and his attempts to escape debt and explore a forbidden region known as The Edge also seemed to please John, so much so that he’s been sitting on top of a copy of the extended and beautified first chapter and growling at anyone who tries to play it before him. Expect to read his thoughts on the game later today. In the meantime, look upon this launch trailer.

I want the soundtrack and I want it now. Chapter One is available now from various digital distributors, priced at £9.99. You can also download the original AGS version for free.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Blaaaaaaag says:

I’ve been playing this, don’t know if it’s just my copy, but it seems to have a fair few audio and video hiccups…. and it froze after the initial introduction video, had to reload an auto save to get past that point.

Other than that, though, I’m really enjoying it. It does just exude style. I also want the soundtrack. I’ve left it sitting on the title screen at least a couple times now just to hear all of that tune.

• G-Lord says:

I had the exact same issues with my GamersGate installation. After a redownloading and reinstallating it, the problems were gone. The name in the desktop shortcut changed as well, so I assume that they have uploaded a broken version initially.

The game itself is excellent, played through it already. I would especially recommend the game to adventure newcomers as I never got stuck at an annoying puzzle.

• SkyGoblin says:

Hey guys! GamersGate initially packaged the game with SecuROM DRM which kind of messed up the the whole game, causing the audio lag and intro freeze-up that you mention. Sorry about that.

We asked GamersGate to throw SecuRom out the window when we discovered this a few hours after launch, so you can now re-download the game DRM-free from GamersGate to get rid of your problems.

/Mathias, SkyGoblin

• G-Lord says:

Thanks for letting us know and congratulations for the excellent game!

• Blaaaaaaag says:

Ah, most excellent, re-downloading now!

Thanks for the response, thanks for the quick fix, and thanks so much for the awesome game. I hope this does well for you, I’m really looking forward to more chapters.

• moreyummystuff says:

For all those wanting the soundtrack, part of the original game’s soundtrack is available at Simon De Souza’s soundcloud:

Not to mention he has a whole lot of other good music on there.

2. StranaMente says:

I have some problem with soulless dark pits staring at me. Why don’t they have eyes? It’s all creepy.

• G-Lord says:

Don’t worry, you will get used to that ;)

The faces are modeled after African masks. They show them in the bonus section after the end.

3. The First Door says:

Squee! Really enjoyed the original version, so it’s great to see this getting some love.

4. Fazer says:

No Steam, no buy. And I wanna buy for real.

• Mistabashi says:

Why?!

I can understand preferring to use Steam, but denying yourself a game you want to play because it isn’t available there seems a little bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Fazer says:

Steam just makes managing games easier, that’s all. I can wait for the release, because I don’t have that much spare time for games ;-)

5. rustybroomhandle says:

Weeee, it’s on Desura and for Linux. Tres bien!

6. Lambchops says:

Damnit, you guys are a hazard to my wallet. Stop reminding me about lovely things that I’d forgotten I wanted to buy!

7. povu says:

I wish The Longest Journey would get a HD remake.

• JohnnyMaverik says:

This times 1 Billion.

• celozzip says:

really?? i couldn’t get into any of those famous games like longest journey and siberia… just too silly. i can handle broken sword’s logic but in longest journey i think it was, one of the first puzzles was to get something off a rail track? and there was one to get some inflatable ring out of a puddle or something out of the pc’s bedroom window? anyway, convoluted isn’t the word. i hated that rubbish, as well as the snarky dialogue. if i went outside for once and found people actually speak that way i think i might have to end it all.

all that said, never heard of this game and it looks very good.

• Contrafibularity says:

cool story bro

There might’ve been an odd puzzle in TLJ, but get past that one and the intro chapter and it’s a superb game. Fittingly, it is a long game and it takes longer than most are accustomed to in a game to get going, but it’s really worth trying again if you have a mind to.

Syberia is more of an acquired taste, but it has some very worthwhile moments. If you approach it on its own terms, admittedly a problem for some, it has about equal amounts of “wow” and “wtf”, but it has a whole lot charming moments you’ll almost certainly never experience, see or hear elsewhere.

Anyway this game looks pretty stunning, I like the fantastic art style and general charm of the people and environments. Definitely going to play this.

8. Avish says:

I remember a talk about this game being released for android.
    Do I remember correctly, or old age is kicking in?

9. sopabuena says:

Couple of questions:
    Is this a remake of the original AGS version or is there added content? The original version was AMAZING but rather short and I already played through it more that once. How many hours do you estimate the game lasts?

What are the plans for the following chapters, are you far into development of those? The thing with episodic indie games is that sometimes it’s quite a wait between chapters (The Dream Machine)

Are you planning to give away Steam keys if the game gets released there eventually to people who purchase the game somewhere esle? It worked for Gemini Rue

10. S Jay says:

Characters remind me of Grim Fandango art style – St Armando, eh? Hmmm…

• Maelig says:

There’s definitely a Grim Fandango vibe to it, not just in the art style but also in the apparent influence from a colourful folklore.

11. JohnnyMaverik says:

I only buy from GOG, Steam or direct from developers… or disc of course. But it’s ok, I shall wait.

*Sits in the corner and waits*

12. grable says:

I played the original non-HD and loved it!
    And the music is damn fantastic too, sets the mood perfectly with the visual style :)
    If theres more tunes in the HD i might get me this hehe.

13. eks says:

The trailer gives off a Grim Fandango vibe, except if looks very “slow and clunky”.

Comment on this story