Fire In The Whole: Far Cry 3

By Adam Smith on May 21st, 2012 at 9:11 am.

This is JAAAASON Brody.

I was comfortable in being incorrect in my predictions that Far Cry 3 would involve some form of free roaming excellence coupled with a thousand irritations, like a sleek engine attached to a ship of fools, grinding down the tracks, lopsided and soon to be derailed. What I didn’t expect was quite so much railroading in the game, or at least in this segment of the game. In a clip found over at Gametrailers, a man named Jason rescues a lady from a burning building in a scene that resembles a section of Uncharted 3 taking place in first person far more than it resembles any of my predictions regarding the eventual shape of Far Cry 3.

There’s a neat series of punchlines when he points to where he needs to go and then goes there, eventually demanding to be made an actual passenger. I know, I know, it’s just one itty-bitty chunk but I’m hoping it tells me less about the game than a video of a rotating logo that explodes occasionally with whatever today’s trailer musical cue of choice is playing over it at an obnoxious volume.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. je66b says:

that looked terribly generic… its sad cause i was almost excited for this one..

• Lobotomist says:

Where is the smoke ? I hear him coughing. But there is no smoke.

• sneetch says:

I think the fire is burning so cleanly it’s only producing carbon dioxide and water.

• Orija says:

That is something we can blame consoles for.

• Marik Bentusi says:

So if there’s no thick smoke all around it’s because of the hardware limitations of consoles and if thick smoke all around is used, it’s to conceal things so the limited console hardware doesn’t have to render so much?

2. Manco says:

As long as it’s just sequences in the main plot that are so scripted, I could tolerate it.
    They should be showing off the free roaming parts though, we’ve seen scripted sequences about half a million times before.

• Benny says:

If memory serves me right the first farcry had very linear moments, the beached oil tanker and a fair amount of the indoor areas. Although then it opened up quite nicely, but still focused, so i guess it redeemed itself. Here’s to hoping to this game at least trys the same.

[edit]: monkey bastard hands.

3. CaspianRoach says:

Why isn’t this a movie? Two “gameplay” sections in the whole three minutes is quite disappointing. Especially since the trailer is named “Gameplay”

• lith says:

Caspian: apparently, the thing is if that if it’s rendered in the game engine it counts as gameplay.

People seem to be buying it, because they fail to realise that COD has, pretty much, the same level of interactivity as those 1990s FMV games.

4. Text_Fish says:

Yeah, that looks pretty dull. His voice is rather annoying too.

I can’t help but watch these things with a little smugness at the treacle-like movement console players have to put up with though.

• Toberoth says:

I think when footage is being recorded for use in marketing material like this they often purposefully turn the camera very slowly as well, to avoid disorienting the viewer.

• lith says:

Another reason why trailers are a shitty means of promoting a game. Unless, of course, you’re making an interactive movie and not a game…

5. DevilSShadoW says:

Looks pretty good even for console footage. A pretty nice sense of urgency as well. I still need to see a bit more before I’m 100% convinced though.

EDIT:
    Guys don’t forget that the people in charge of making these trailers are the same guys that thought COCO would be great in a ghost recon advert, I.E. PR folks.
    I’ll wait for some unbiased gameplay footage that wasn’t picked by some PR person with no actual gaming experience.

Drayk says:

Well. I am playing Half Life 2 right now and it’s also a railorad. It’s still fun.

+ we saw other gameplay phases who were much more open.

I think it will be a bit more ‘à là’ Crysis 2 with larger, but still confined, zones you have to go trough at some points.

If they can put them in an more open world like just cause 2, then everyone will have something to like.

At least you don’t have to push X to cut the rope.

• Tim Ward says:

Half-Life is rail-roaded very skilfully. Although you don’t get to make a single choice about your route once in either game, it almost never quite feels like you’re being arbitrarily forced down a path just because that’s were the developers want you to go. It always feels like you had to go down that route because that was simply the only option available to Freeman.

There are no insurmountable waist high fences in Half-Life, and it never takes the controls away from the player. No talking heads saying “you’re going the wrong way”, no flashing arrows. It’s just skilful level design that forces you down the right path, makes that path obvious and conveys the impression that there are actually other places you might decide to go, if you weren’t in the middle of an alien invasion. And because the game never steals your controls, you’re always free to react to it however you want, even though you really have no other choice than to push forward.

TL:DR; it’s ok in half-life because valve know what they’re doing.

• Brun says:

Well said. As RPS said in its Dishonored preview, there’s nothing really wrong with being “linear” as long as it’s done properly.

Drayk says:

You’re 100% right Tim.

Linear is ok when it’s properly done, which isn’t in the small trailer they showed (which sucks if it’s meant to draw attention on the best features of the final game).

What I meant is that linear doesn’t always mean bad. In that regard games like Dark MEssiah of M&M or Bioshock are pretty decents.

And if you look at the trailer form E3 last year the game looked much more open.

What I would really like to see if a game where you have to figure out a way to escape fire, and if you’re not quick enough things start to fall to pieces. There are such moments in HL2 just after the prison where moving walls try to crush you. It gives you a real sens of urgency.

HL2 is also excellent because of the physics puzzles and the fact that there is no hand holding.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I DEMAND MORE CURVILINEAR GAMES.
          Also some made in non-euclidian space.

• kud13 says:

I bet you any money push-starting the truck is a QTE

7. LuNatic says:

“Fighting fire with firepower,
    Fighting fire with firepower,
    Burning down the house!”

LarsBR says:

Nothing screams “GAME!” more than an on-rail trip through a burning building with water-pipes strategically placed over whatever impassable section you get to.

But I wonder, what’s the best way to have a burning building in a game? Either you need to herd the player along the route he can survive (let alone rescue the damsel in distress), or allow him to walk into Rick Dangerous-style dead ends. Or even worse, make him search the fiery labyrinth in his own sweet time.

As for the rest of the “game play”, in how many of those scenes was control taken away from you?

• Kdansky says:

> What’s the best way to have a burning building in a game?

I thought about this, and I come to this conclusion: The best way is not to have it as an action scene. Every approach I can think of results in either heavy scripting, or Reload-Until-You-Figure-It-Out gameplay, both very unsatisfying. You could sensibly do it at a slower pace, exploration-style: Give the protagonist fire-fighter gear, and let him freely search through the building. Give him an axe to hack through doors, make walls breakable, and have the fire very slowly spread and have other effects to convey a bit of urgency: Breath condensing on the mask’s insides, coughing, smoke.

What they did here: Use a film-script for a game. Doesn’t fucking work.

And please don’t have so many explosions. Houses don’t explode when they burn. Even if there is a gas line: It will burn at most, but not explode.

• MD says:

It might work if you set the fire in a place the player had previously explored thoroughly, and then made the fire behave in a realistic way. So if you know where you are, how the building is laid out, where the fire started, and how flammable the various sections are, that might be interesting.

• MichaelPalin says:

But I wonder, what’s the best way to have a burning building in a game?

That’s the problem with modern game design, they don’t try new complex gameplay situations anymore. I’m sure there is a million ways you can make a burning building scene in which the player can think for her/himself. Just design an interesting building with different path, give the player tools and let fire expand realistically. By tools I mean let the player break doors or use fire extinguishers or pile up furniture to climb, give the player interactivity and you’ll have a very grateful to play level.

The fact that developers have to resort to scripted sequences every time a normal shooting approach don’t work is exasperating.

• Claidheamh says:

Both Max Payne games did the burning building thing pretty well, if I recall correctly.

• Cocoarico says:

I think left 4 dead 2 did an excellent job on simulating a building on fire within the level Dead Center. The fire created a real threat and made fighting the zombie hordes even more dangerous. Not to mention it upped the tension level to the extreme the first time you play it and try to find your way through.

9. kikito says:

Arm tattoos were cool in the 90s.

• Jimbo says:

Maybe he had it done in the 90s?

• sneetch says:

They’re new aren’t they? I hope they’re pre-order DLC but I suppose they were added because focus group feedback indicated that they should bad-boyify him by 15%.

• Jason Moyer says:

Yeah, it’s really all about eye-tattoos nowadays.

• Donjo says:

In the next game the main character will be covered in tattoos and be addicted to crack and/or heroin. No where else they can take it now.

• sneetch says:

How about… you play as a tattoo that’s trying to eradicate heroin from someone’s blood stream using a… oh I don’t know, a crack pipe?

10. AlonePlusEasyTarget says:

It then goes to generic chase/turret sequence where you have to shoot all the baddies come chasing after you. Also with banters between the protagonists along the way.

11. Gonefornow says:

What I want to see is stuff like this generated dynamically.

You are going to meet up with your allies in a safe house, but lo your enemies found out about it and torched it for good. Now you can try a daring rescue attemp if you so choose.
    If you would have come a bit later all left was a smoking pile of your former friends, time to seek revenge.

And then again, if you hadn’t made enemies with the pyromaniacs none of this would have happened.

stahlwerk says:

Strong female characters and meaningful choices.

• D-e-f- says:

I VERY loudly rolled my eyes at the female character was well. I thought we were past this but then I remembered video games are still years and years behind when it comes to portrayals of females and pretty much people in general.

Drayk says:

I miss Mirror’s Edge…

13. Syra says:

Oh god listening to the protagonist cough through a whole section of gameplay. WORST IDEA EVER?

Is it just me or is it trying desperately to strike a vibe somewhere between uncharted 3 and bioshock infinite and just being a bit embarassing?

• MordeaniisChaos says:

Yup, only Uncharted is allowed to have a burning house.

Also, it’s been said that you will be able to kind of approach things from whatever order you want. Remember the GOOD FarCry game, the original? That was pretty open in some parts, but in others it was plenty tight and corridor-y. Even in the beginning when things were open, you were very guided.
      The game looks much better than the piece of shit FarCry 2 was. Open world didn’t work then, and I think they seem to be aiming for a balance of open and guided aspects to the game, that sounds good.
      Also, holy crap this game looks sharp.

• aerozol says:

^ Such a nonsensical reply…

But yeah, this clip looks like an awkward mesh of certain ‘current’ game themes that have been selling well. I really doubt it’s a good indication of the most common gameplay though. At least I hope not… Because that would be a truly shit game..

• Brun says:

Open world could have worked quite well in Far Cry 2 had they simply avoided some basic mistakes – namely, the respawning checkpoints and agonizingly laborious travel.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I’m probably one of only a hundred gamers that think FC2 is far superior to FC1. I hated the fake openness of FC1, I hated the arbitrary difficulty level of the bad guys, I hated the weapons, and I hated the contrived storyline.

I’ve reinstalled Far Cry about a dozen times in attempts to capture the “magic” everyone is always talking about, and I always end up uninstalling it yet again because I just don’t like playing it.

I’ve got close to 250 hours in Far Cry 2.; better game IMO.

• lijenstina says:

Not the worst idea ever a worse one would be if there were poisonous gas fumes from burning toxic materials and the main protagonist starts vomiting then at the end shat himself.

• Apples says:

The worst idea ever was the one in Alone in the Dark where you had to manually blink for the first like 10 minutes of the game.
      Which was still more enjoyable than the rest of the game.

• Donjo says:

They originally planned to have you use toilets, manually wipe your bum then flush the toilet but the controls were too awkward. Way before it’s time.

• mrmurphy says:

well with technology like kinect its only a matter of time……….

14. Network Crayon says:

Rescuing girls from stuff is the action equivelent of paying council tax, everyone does it, and no one’s entirely convinced it’s worth it.

15. The13thRonin says:

“LISA I CAN SEE THE DOOR… I’LL SMASH THROUGH IT!”

Is it just me or does the protagonist sound like he’s from Red VS Blue?

16. j0shman says:

Come on guys, like we havent seen this a thousand times before…granted, it is about as generic as its predecessor, and this Jason guys sounds like Nathan Drake, but we will all still buy it.

17. Apples says:

Does anyone seriously get excited about the prospect of moving slowly and boxily through a linear maze, like a lab mouse? I counted one identifiable player action, outside of walking/climbing, in the whole 3:29 video (shooting a water valve). I know I was arguing that cinematic, linear games aren’t necessarily bad, but I didn’t mean THIS…

18. Sixosaur says:

You mean the gameplay is a ‘far cry’ from what you thought it would be?

19. Secundus says:

wow guys no need to be so negative. this game is breaking new ground with its segment where you slowly walk though a tensionless scripted sequence while gameplay elements that will only be used once are explaned

20. MichaelPalin says:

When I watch things like this I always think: “If I don’t do nothing does she die, does the house burn completely around me?” I know the answer is no, and I cannot take what I see seriously anymore.

• brulleks says:

The real Michael Palin would never use double negatives incorrectly.

Reveal yourself, imposter!

21. max pain says:

Nice interactive movie, if you’re into that kind of things I suppose. I’m more into gaming.

Also, all the boosted temporal pixel graphics, but vines still don’t move when you pass trough them?

• Grargh says:

So far, a Point-and-Click adventure would have been the better choice of genre. Two times finding the big red valve and one click each on the girl and the window. Then probably some lazy clicking on enemy jeeps for a while.

22. FCA says:

I like how he leisurely strolls around in a burning house, and only when he finds the girl do the explosions do anything other than rock the screen.

I wonder if pushing the car is some sort of QTE.

• grundus says:

Of course it’s a QTE, I think even the bit where he was shimmying across the narrow ledge was too.

I particularly loved the bit right at the end where enemies (presumably) suddenly decided to appear only when the house was actually crumbling, all going ‘argh, argh!’ and playing what looked to me like the same animation, whilst also looking the same. They could and should have cut the trailer about 3 seconds before they actually did.

I wonder how long it’ll be until games consoles go back to just having one button again?

23. SCdF says:

Is it just me, or is the entire feel ruined by him holding his gun so stiffly in front of him. I feel like if you were escaping a burning building holding your gun like a cop in a stand off wouldn’t be your best strategy.

24. JamesPatton says:

Uh, is it just me or does this look a *lot* like a tutorial level?

He starts in a room with (apparently) no exit, so the question is: how did he get there? Possibly this is the start of the game? Plus it makes sense to showcase something near the start of your game so as not to spoil anything, and if you’ve got a flashy burny tutorial sequence, why not use that?

Then we get introduced to a number of mechanics at a fairly sedate pace: the “shoot the pipe” mechanic, the “smash through door” mechanic (brilliantly introduced with “I’LL SMASH THROUGH THE DOOR!”), vine-climbing, ledge-shimmying, and that jump at the end. I wonder if the sequence in-game is meant to have lots of “press X to smash” prompts but they took them out because it looks cooler without them.

And if it *is* a tutorial, well, I wouldn’t have expected it to be open-world because that would be counter-intuitive. So maybe we have nothing to worry about.

Hate those tattoos, though.

• Smion says:

I think so too, since it’s quite heavily implied in one of the trailers that Girlfriend-Girl will be kidnapped and serve as Maincharacter-Man’s motivation for actually doing shit and not just running away at the first opportunity.

25. noodlecake says:

I would like to play something like Uncharted 3 on PC. We don’t have anything like that. Sometimes I just want to play a heavily narrative driven scripted game. Although I guess PS3s are about £90 now. I could invest…

26. Shadram says:

Oh god, there’s fire everywhere!
    Lisa, I can see the door! I’ll smash through it!

And they say video game writing is shit…

• hello_mr.Trout says:

i know right!
      and i bet those same people will rage against the immersive and cinematic QTE based gameplay

• Donjo says:

“LISAAAHHH… I’M A GGGIIMMPP”

27. Toberoth says:

“Gameplay”? Ok…

28. Shortwave says:

That was honestly painful to watch for me.
    Theres really nothing else to say!

29. The First Door says:

Le sigh, I think I have a obsession with shinies… all I could think watching that is ‘why isn’t he picking up the obviously flashing things?’

maninahat says:

Why didn’t he just climb up the scaffolding in the first place? It was the only part of the building that didn’t have cartoon flames and spontaneous explosions.

31. surreal_whale says:

I’m glad to see that he’s brought an umbrella along for the wet weather in the picture at the top. Nice to see a protagonist with some common sense.

32. MeestaNob says:

This isn’t a Far Cry game, I don’t know why they’re calling it that.

• cunningmunki says:

FarCry 2 wasn’t a FarCry game either. It had no link to the first game, whatsoever.

• TheBlackBandit says:

This looks pretty good. But it doesn’t look like Far Cry 2, which my sister and I loved playing. As such, we’ve renamed Far Cry 2 “Heart of Darkness”, and continue to call this one Far Cry 3. That way, we can enjoy the game for what it is, without thinking of it as a bad sequel.

• Toberoth says:

It’s a FAR CRY from the original game.

33. kibble-n-bullets says:

It just seems to me like a game for people who haven’t really played games before. All the danger was caged, like being at a zoo.

34. cunningmunki says:

Another high-profile, over-hyped, sequel with a ‘3’ in the title that takes us that little bit closer to the 10 hour cut-scene. All generated ‘in-game’, of course.

If I want to watch a film I’ll rent one, thanks.

35. gunny1993 says:

Far cry 1: Super powers
    Far cry 2: Malaria
    Far cry 3: No Feet (Metaphorically speaking ofc)

bear912 says:

It leaves me feeling a bit conflicted. On the one hand, I actually don’t terribly mind scripted stuff. Uncharted is pretty neat. On the other hand, what made Far Cry 2 special for me was the fact that I could scope out a settlement, then toss a grenade onto a pile of incendiary munitions, which would start a brush fire and act as a distraction, then sneak into the settlement form the other side. The other strange reaction I have to this is simply a bit of disappointment that their seems to be some attempt made to make the character likable. One of the other things I really liked about Far Cry 2 was the fact that as the game progressed the brutality of your actions turned you into as much of a monster as the man you set out to kill. Far Cry 2’s tone was excellently brooding, and I’d be very happy to see Far Cry 3 continue that precedent.

• DeanLearner says:

I was gonna mention the Far Cry 2 bush fires… man, they were really well done. An only slightly dramatical reconstruction below..

“Those baddies don’t have a clue! I’m just gonna lob this here cocktail over there and fry them”
      *bart simpson throwing something noise*
      “Oh shit I threw it at a rock! Oh shit the fire is turning on me, ow ow oW OW OW OWWWW”
      *dead*

And scene.

phuzz says:

I think we can all agree that the fires in FC2 were awesome, although they will always remind me of the time I had just found a rocket launcher of some description, sneaking down a hillside, I got in the perfect position to rocket one end of a settlement, which would hopefully start a huge fire, driving all the nasty shoot-y men (FC2 had no other kind, except in the towns) away from me so I could shoot them in the back.
      Of course, as soon as I fired everyone in the village, and the sniper I’d not previously noticed, spotted me and started shooting. Time to run away I think, only to realise that the exhaust from the rocket launcher had set fire to the whole hillside behind me, meaning my only safe escape route now lay down hill, through the now thoroughly exploding village.
      DAMN YOU FIRE!

I wonder if I’ve still got it installed?

• Donjo says:

Want to play it again now myself. Standing at some vantage point gleefully about to pull the trigger on a rusty old rocket launcher to send it hurtling into an unsuspecting camp only to have the rocket misfire and swirl around in a frenzy, lighting everything around me on fire, forcing a quick and pathetic evacuation. Brilliant.

37. DeanLearner says:

I don’t normally get angry but this makes me slightly more angry than it does tired. I take it all back if this turns out to be an early rolling tutorial used to give a new player an idea of what they’re able to do in the world… however if not…

The first showing where you escape from drowning and what not seemed “open” I use quote marks because it was barely open, there were 2-3 things you could do at any time and go from there. I was willing to let it go because it seemed fun, but this… it’s liked they watched the Stanley Parable and thought “dude, that’s clever! we should do that!!”

This isn’t the only one, but why are games doing this now? There’s no game here, just a series of scripted interactions that you get to press X to execute, or if you’re lucky sometimes the B or A buttons too (not the Y button).

I’m so upset I couldn’t even finish my Lucozade.

38. Shooop says:

Another “Press X to continue” movie.

How predictably shit.

39. Smion says:

thank you for raping another much beloved series by dumbing it down for console players just like you did with x-com, ea!!!!11!!

40. kud13 says:

my interest in this is evaporating.

Unless they show a 10+ minute chunk of open-world gameplay, this is officially off the “to be watched with interest” list.

A shame, since some of the weapon + cover mechanics looked interesting.

41. costyka says:

Is it me or dude’s voice sounds like Cartman?

And that Lisa girl looks like Kate Walker from Syberia, aint it?

42. Blackcompany says:

Oh Hollywood, we owe you for crap like this.

Fire isn’t bright. Burning buildings are not well lit affairs full of light and open air. That much fire, there would be such smoke you would be lucky to see your hand before your face if you could touch your nose. Not that it would matter one way or the other, of course.

That much flame and smoke, if the heat didn’t kill you – and it would; there’s a reason fire fighters wear those suits – but if it didn’t the smoke would choke you to death. Or blind you so you walked into open flames.

Not only can I not take this sort of thing seriously, it seems positively silly to me, at this point. Perhaps I am simply tired of “playing” (the real word might be ‘suffering’) through someone else’s hokey, ridiculous Action B-movie.

Games are not movies. Nor are they books. Would anyone play monopoly or power or magic: the gathering; pokemon or warhammer or dominion if they already knew who was going to win, the point at which that person was going to come into their strongest abilities and when exactly we were all supposed to roll over and die for the sake of the “destined winner?”

Stop making movies and make a game.

43. Roshin says:

Such beautiful visuals, such drama, and so intensely boring to watch.

44. Scabmastah says:

*Fall through three levels of scaffolding, approximately two 2 meter drops and one 3 meter drop*
    “Are you okay?” *Immediately gets up and starts running toward car like nothing happened*

• Brun says:

That’s only 6 and 9 feet respectively. A reasonably in-shape person that knew how to land without injuring themselves shouldn’t have too much trouble with drops of that size.

colorlessness says:

“LISAAAAAAAAAA!!” is the new “STELLAAAAAAAAAAA!!” That was classic thespianism right there.

46. Yosharian says:

Awful.

47. Gabe Lewis says:

Why’s he pointing a gun at everything? Is he expecting to shoot alotta people in this burning building? It might be easier to move around if you put the gun down man.

Anyway, this looks dumb.

48. Breadline says:

Honestly, I’d probably pay another $50 for a Far Cry 2 that did the following:

– No more cliffs linearly boxing in all the roads and hurting the open world feel.
    – No more horribly annoying respawning checkpoints inhabited by the guys whose side you are currently working for.
    – No more linear story that acts like it’s otherwise. If you have faction based missions, actually make it faction based instead of forcing us to do every mission for each faction.
    – No more NPCs thatspeakasifthey’realltakingspeed.

Far Cry 2 was SO CLOSE, don’t backpedal away from it!

Also, why do developers constantly think that tribal wrist tattoos make the character look like anything but a tool?

• Urthman says:

I can’t understand how anyone would prefer the kind of DRAMATIC OVERACTING we’ve seen in the Far Cry 3 trailers to the low-key, restrained, spit-it-out-and-get-on-with-it voice acting in Far Cry 2.

Far Cry 2’s voice acting was a breath of fresh air in an industry where everything is usually SO OVER-DRAMATIC, SO DRAWN OUT, SO EMOTIONAL, SO PAINFUL, JUST MAKE IT STOP AND GET BACK TO THE GAME

• Breadline says:

Now hold on, I NEVER said I prefer dramatic overacting and you know it. That’s not the only other option. But The voices in Far Cry 2 were delivered so quickly that it sounded artificial at times. Someone would spout a sentence off and I’d briefly have to wonder if they’re an alien posing as a human to meld into society or simply on a lot of cocaine.

colorlessness says:

FC2’s voice acting was great if you’re an impatient asshole like me; only game ever where I didn’t have to mash buttons to skip to the next line of dialogue after I read the subtitle.

Siresly says:

I’m pretty confident this is just marketing being marketing and the actual game will typically revolve around novel gameplay ideas such as choosing in which direction to go.

50. deanimate says: