Dante’s Peak: DmC Devil May Cry PC-Bound In 2013

By Nathan Grayson on May 22nd, 2012 at 9:06 am.

It was a day like any other. Except it was really, really red for some reason.

Yes, its full name is “DmC Devil May Cry” – so, in essence, the game’s actual name is Devil May Cry Devil May Cry. I can’t claim to navigate the labyrinthine cognitive corridors that led to this not-so-dynamic duo of a name, but oh well. I’m playing a game called The Exiled Realm of Arborea right now and am eagerly anticipating a dark, gritty noir drama unabashedly titled Max Payne 3. Names have never exactly been this industry’s strong suit. Stupid, silly amazo-action, however, is right up our alley full of conspicuously placed explosive barrels, and few deliver it better than the Devil May Cry franchise. Basically, I’m in love with Dante’s dumb demon-slayer-who’s-basically-a-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtle antics, so this has me pretty excited. That said, DmC is the first series entry that hasn’t been developed internally at Capcom, so I’m still exercising caution.

Announced alongside a January 2013 delay for the console version, runs-on-PC DmC won’t be out until “later in 2013.” It is, however, at least existent – a promising step in the right direction. That said, the jury’s still out on new developer Ninja Theory’s vision of Dante’s over-the-top, demon-infested life. I mean, his hair’s the wrong color. What’s up with that? Surely it’s a crystal clear reflection of how the game will play. There’s no other explanation.

Or perhaps – and this is a crazy, totally out-there long shot – Ninja Theory knows exactly what it’s doing, as evidenced by its incredible work on Enslaved and pretty solid work on Heavenly Sword. The developer’s flair for the dramatic is pretty much peerless – especially with frequent involvement from Andy Serkis, aka Gollum from Lord Of The Rings and Caesar from Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes. So yeah, it’ll probably be a different spin on the swords ‘n’ guns hack ‘n’ slash, but I’m pretty optimistic about its chances of standing on its own two feet.

Huh, what’s that? You’d like a trailer? Oh fine. But only because it’s you.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Marinetastic says:

Only played the demo’s of Enslaved and Heavenly Sword, but the combat in them wasn’t particularly good, but Ninja Theory do make great looking games

• The First Door says:

Enslaved was a beautiful game with a great story line and terrible ‘climbing’ mechanics. Made my inner Prince of Persia loving child quite disappointed.

• Fabio Volta says:

I can’t agree on Enslaved story being any good.
        A selfish and uncaring girl takes advantage of a no-personality guy, who must have been desperately lonely to relish such abusive relationship; little happens between them. The big events were predictable cliches to push the story forward (the village), get rid of ties about to overstay their welcome while milking some last emotion out of them (the sacrifice). The ending nonsensical.
        I liked the world design, gameplay was also fairly well designed imo, apart from platforming and frame rates.

• Radiant says:

You’re criticising the basis of one of the world’s greatest stories.
          It’s also the basis for one of the worlds greatest tv shows.

Next you’ll say you don’t it like it when the same story is being repeatedly told by different people.

*shakes old man fists* GOD DAMN KIDS!

• The First Door says:

It’s a bit difficult because I don’t think I really separated ‘world design’ and story. One of the things I liked about Enslaved was the world seemed to fit the story being told, unlike many games where you could put just about any story in the world because they are so nondescript.

2. Jams O'Donnell says:

It’s a Japanese game so normal rules of sensible naming do not apply.

• Jae Armstrong says:

Actually, Ninja Theory is responsible for this one, so there’s really no excuse.

• Jams O'Donnell says:

It’s a Japanese game FRANCHISE, then. Jeez! :)

3. Flukie says:

Hopefully there can be some long decent content to this game, Heavenly sword did not have this.

4. baby snot says:

Is that pizza after the baseball bat?

5. Jae Armstrong says:

I, I’m not sure about this, honestly. This is one of those genres that really do work better with a joypad. Hopefully the PC port will work happily with my Dualshock 3, but I’m going to be reading the reviews very closely to make sure.

The DMC fanbase in general is Not Happy with this version. Dante is too grumpy for them, and too punk (“not really Dante”), and they are uncovinced by the combat displayed in the trailers. I’m not fussed really, but I liked Amalur, so what do I know?

• MSJ says:

My rather amazing martial artist friend managed to finish the third and fourth games using only the keyboard.

6. Inigo says:

HE HATES AUTHORITY BECAUSE HE WAS RAISED IN AN ORPHANAGE AND THE ORPHANAGE WAS RUN BY DEMONS

7. AtomicB says:

I must have missed the ‘incredible work’ on Enslaved. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great.

8. Shadram says:

I approve of naked man fighting monsters. More of this sort of thing.

• derella says:

Agreed.

• lowprices says:

Seconded. Or thirded. Whatever. More naked men swordfighting please.

• JackShandy says:

I’m curious to hear details of Dante’s known sexual deviancies. Seeing as the newsreader seems to be a fundamentalist Christian type- are they trying to say he’s gay?

• Dominic White says:

Dante is one of the few male videogame protagonists with a big female following. At least, the original Dante was – the one with the 90′s attitude and the love of going shirtless in DMC3.

9. Chizu says:

I’d rather have Enslaved come to the PC.
    I really enjoyed that game, but the console version had some slowdown issues.
    It was all about the main characters, I found them to be so engaging in that game.

DMC games are nice and all but I’m just not all that enthused about another one.

• f1x says:

Indeed, Enslaved would look gorgeous on PC,

plus maybe they could improve responsiveness on the controls, my only complain really

10. HilariousCow says:

My favourite double named game is Ninja Ninja Assault Assault : http://arcadeartlibrary.com/arcade_art/data/thumbnails/3/Ninja_Assault_Logo.jpg

11. MrDreadlock says:

Just pause the trailer at 1:05, and ask yourself a question.
    Do you really want this?

12. skyturnedred says:

My only problem with DMC games is that the cutscenes always have cooler combat moves than the actual gameplay.

• zin33 says:

well having cutscenes look worse than actual gameplay wouldnt be a good thing either.. i mean considering the freedom you have when creating them..

• skyturnedred says:

Of course. But what I mean is when the coolest stuff in the game is happening, you have no control over it. When you get control back you just wish you could pull off the same moves you just saw.

13. zin33 says:

got excited for a minute and then realized that i had already seen that video like a month ago :(

14. Dominic White says:

This actually doesn’t look too bad… but that’s maybe because the low water mark for the series was Devil May Cry 2, which was by a completely different team to DMC1 and blew copious goats. DMC3 revived the series, and DMC4 – while flawed – was still a very good game.

I still don’t have huge hopes, though – Ninja Theory make snappily written games with good cutscenes, but their designs tend to be far shallower than anything Capcom put out. People are STILL discovering new tricks and options in DMC3 & 4 and producing amazing combo-showoff videos.

Of course, expect tantrums here from PC purists who refuse to touch a gamepad, because mouse & keyboard are god’s own control system and anything that isn’t redesigned to support them in their fullest isn’t worth playing. That’s what people did over DMC4, at least.

• subedii says:

Funny, I just played it with a gamepad.

Last I heard, Capcom were satisfied enough with the sales (yes, even with the piracy rant). Which would probably explain why the sequel (Prequel? Alternable?) is coming out PC-side as well.

• Dominic White says:

Quite a few high-profile reviews marked DMC4 down specifically because it plays best with a gamepad. PC fanboys are (and this is coming from someone who’s been a PC gamer since the days of CGA) the worst of the lot. Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony fans? They’re constantly hunting for anything small that’ll let them one-up the competition. PC fans? Even when they’re behind, they’ll claim they’ve already won.

• subedii says:

Well for starters, you’re not the only guy who grew up playing with 3 colours.

Second, fanboys are fanboys, and it’s pointless trying to draw lines on which is “worse”. The ones you’re exposed to the most frequently will appear the worst and the most numerous. Sony has its Defence Force, Nintendo can do no wrong, and Xbox kiddies will hurl bad grammar at you until your brain implodes. PC gaming fanboys are much the same. If you think that it’s only the worst around the PC market, I’d argue you simply haven’t been exposed enough to the hardcore elements of the other platforms.

15. pilouuuu says:

Will there be an option to go around fighting with no pants? I mean, during the game… Wait!… Did Dante just give me the middle finger? That’s rude!

I like how Capcom is treating PC players these times. Now give us Dragon’s Dogma and Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

16. deadstoned says:

Problem is its being published by Capcom, so unless they use some intelligence this time and release the game without the shit that is GFWL, I’m not going anywhere near it.

17. Hanban says:

I’d rather play DMCA: Devil May Cry.

Youtubers, tremble in fear.

18. someone else says:

Enslaved and Heavenly Sword with their input-lag-ridden dial-a-combo combat systems running at 30 frames per seconds with dips aren’t comparable to Devil May Cry, sorry. Unfortunately DmC looks like it’s following the same path.

19. vexytube says:

As a huge fan of the DMC series, I still cannot believe why they have changed Dante into something else (to put it nicely)

Makes me very sad that dmc is no longer the dmc I once knew. Thus I shall pretend this game never happened

• Dominic White says:

Capcom believe that they have to try harder to appeal to western audiences – after all, it’s what the gaming public has been saying for years. Of course, it’s completely wrong – a lot of audiences seriously don’t know what they want, and wouldn’t be able to tell quality a thousand miles off.

Unfortunately, Capcom are listening to the crowd. It’s why Dragon’s Dogma is – despite supposedly being a very good game – set in a dull-as-dishwater tolkien-esque generic fantasy world with almost no interesting defining elements. It’s why Devil May Cry (one of their more traditionally successful franchises) has been passed to a second-tier studio with good writers, and why Lost Planet 3 is pretty much doomed from the start.

• dE says:

I reckon it’s got something to do with a cultural shift in the asian audience.

I’ve recently read up on how the game Nier had the main character replaced with a much younger version for the asian market. They assumed the grown up father fighting for his daughter just wouldn’t work well with their audience.
      I also think they’ve tried something similar with DMC4. Nero was basically Dante. He kept punching the same style of puns and tried to be just as badass as Dante, naturally failing. The main difference was age. Nero looked much younger in comparison. The new Dante looks much younger too.

There also seems to be some sort of “delinquent hero” trend in current Anime. Stuff like Beelzebub for example. Dante is a perfect fit for that tone.

20. JackDandy says:

Game still looks like shit, and is a spit in the face from Capcom.

I’ll stay away from this one, despite loving the previous titles.

21. Bhazor says:

Never got DMC. God Hand? Ninja Gaiden? Bayonetta? Great great games.

But DMC? Too floaty, too exploitable and the difficulty always feels toned down. Despite all the flashiness and combo multipliers it always feels like I could complete the game with only half the move set.

Also Dante looks like such a prick in this version.

22. DrGonzo says:

Enslaved was all right, I was surprised that I didn’t hate it anyway. The story was rather poor and it could have done with more MONKEY! But there you go.

Surprised no one has mentioned Bayonetta, that’s the best DMC style game I can remember playing, it was weeeird.

• AtomicB says:

Someone did mention Bayonetta, but I have no problem with it being mentioned twice. I agree it’s the best game of it’s type by far.

23. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Coming to PC most likely because they need PC sales to break even console players are not happy with the direction this game has taken. I expect Dragons Dogma will come to PC as well in a few months as once again console reviews are mixed so PC gets some love to save Capcom some $$$$.

24. Radiant says:

Oh fuck PLEASE BE GOOD.

And for the love of allah dump the “is he or isn’t he mad?” bullshit trope it’s been done to death.

25. Dances to Podcasts says:

DMC obviously stands for Detroit Motor City. It explains the hellish surroundings, at least. :)

26. mrwonko says:

So happy this is coming to PC after all – they did loudly complain about piracy on PC with Devil May Cry 4, didn’t they?

Here’s hoping it’ll actually turn out good, too.

27. Hatsworth says:

So, I have no faith in Ninja Theory’s ability to produce a good action game. Still, more Capcom support on PC is nice, and hey, they have plenty of time to not just do a half-assed GFWL port! Right? Guys?

I wish they’d go into their backlogs though. UMVC3, Dragon’s Dogma(I’d bet on this coming eventually at least), Ashura’s Wrath and older XBLAPSN games. It would be so incredibly easy to release Mega Man 9 and 10, have no idea why they don’t as there is virtually no opportunity cost.

Edit: Forgot about the most obvious one: Devil May Cry: HD Collection, especially considering the only game already on PC in that was a terrible port.

28. AltF4 says:

dmc4 was a great beat em up and very well optimized on pc for a port, looking forward to this one.

playing third person action games with kb+mouse is as stupid as playing first person shooters with a controllers, stop whining tards

29. JichiSenpai says:

Well, the trailer looks better then the first one. It kinda shows hope that Dante still has some of his charisma left and isn’t full emo. Which is good. Plus if the actual combat is what it showed in the trailer, it resembles the old games, without changing everything we know about DMC. I’m hoping that they make it a better port then DMC3, that was kinda bad.