Blockham City: Lego Batman 2′s Open World Trailerfied

By Nathan Grayson on May 23rd, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Awww, they're restrained by the laws of gravity. That's cute.
I must admit to having never owned any of the Lego <Insert Crucial Portion Of Your Childhood Here> games, but goodness, this Lego Batman 2 trailer makes a persuasive argument – and not in the traditional Batmanner of hurling me off a two story building and breaking my legs, either. Score! Among other things, it touts a rather astounding 500 square mile open-world city, which looks suitably drenched in rain and atmosphere, given the subject matter. But then a man gets hit with a pie, allowing me to handily sum up everything these games stand for in two sentences. Also on display: Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, and the greatest hero of all: spoken words. Also, Superman. Traverse significantly less than 500 square miles to reach the shockingly enticing trailer after the break.

The game’s swinging (or flying, or running, or Green-Lantern-ing) into action on June 27. I still harbor fear that fully voiced conversations could kill some of the series’ trademark charm, but so far that hasn’t been the case. I remain thoroughly delighted and might just go out and buy a heaping ton of themed Legos in anticipation. The games, I mean. Yeah. Because I am An Adult.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. maninahat says:

My god! They talk.

RUINED FOREVA

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Yep this seems like a deal breaker for me. Part of the charm of the Lego games is how they do the cut scenes with absolutely no dialogue. Legos that talk?! Pffft I’d rather have a RMAH.

• Benny says:

I remember hearing the joker talk in a previous trailer, but was quietly hoping he’d be the only one (could have been quite amusing actually, joker in a mute world). This makes me sad.

• CheesyJelly says:

I thought it was just going to be Joker who spoke. Would be a nice parallel to the occassional Fourth-Wall-breaking of the comics. We’ll have to see how this goes. I trust the developers, given their clear grasp of good comedy from the previous LEGO games.

2. DrScuttles says:

Funnily enough I’m leaning toward mute cutscenes and a more linear level progression as in previous entries.
    But then Lego Batman was my least favourite out of Star Wars Complete Saga and Indy 1, probably because the story and locations weren’t inspired directly from a film source. And too much Robin. No-one likes Robin. Maybe a big shake-up is what these Lego games need.
    That and Bat suits based on every significant screen adaptation of the character.

3. je66b says:

tell me why this looks like it has more potential than about 90% of the trailers i see now-a-days

4. Sp4rkR4t says:

Am I the only one who thinks even the LEGO Green Lantern looks a lot like Nathan Fillion?

5. CaspianRoach says:

Alright I was skeptical at first seeing as usually Lego games are kinda bad but this trailer made me very interested.

• GallonOfAlan says:

See, the mistake you’ve made there is equating ‘I do not like them’ with ‘them being bad’. The LEGO games are probably the best co-op experiences out there for younger players, and are usually well designed and a lot of fun. The critical scores and sales figures would appear to bear this out.

• wu wei says:

As “co-op experiences” they may be great, but as games they’re intrinsically bad. Where most games have mechanics, they have nostalgia. They’re the electronic equivalent of acting out films with your toys as a kid.

• GallonOfAlan says:

You haven’t played them much, have you.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

They are a lot of fun, but I would consider them “bad” games since they have no challenge and you can’t actually die.

• siegarettes says:

Think of them like those arcade SHMUPs: the challenge isn’t completing the stage (you can generally just spam credits), but getting the highest score. Likewise, trying to get as many LEGO pieces so you can unlock all the goodies, and suddenly death is a big deal and the game is a lot more challenging.

• history_denier says:

Anybody poo-pooing this game can stick it up their nose with a rubber hose. This is one of the few games franchises that is simply perfect for me and my 5 year old. You guys have every other game out their for your “grown-up” tastes. Give us parents of small gamers SOMETHING.

Really though, there are other games that kids can enjoy, but this is one of the few that is well polished, fun, has easy controls, and a low level of frustration for people who are still getting their fine motor skills worked out.

6. Auldreekie says:

Why isn’t the environment made out of lego? I thought that was the whole point of these games. It seemed to me that everything was shiny textures apart from the characters and a few lego lamp posts.
    The bricks, in the screenshot, those aren’t lego bricks.

• westyfield says:

Most of the Lego X games don’t have Lego environments. Things like plants, bins, benches etc. are Lego, but the ground and walls are not.

• Kdansky says:

Yes, and that makes them a lot less awesome in my eyes. I wish they would add physics simulations for the blocks, so I can smash down walls, and make everything out of blocks.

But then, the company which makes them doesn’t bother to fix basic bugs in their engine for many releases. Oh, and copy-protection that looks like bugs (items disappearing). Sure, it might sound fun on paper, except when a customer then gets fucked over.

7. bit_crusherrr says:

I was sold at Green Lanterns.

8. hosndosn says:

I never got those highly themed Lego games. To me, the appeal of Lego is a Minecraft-esque build-what-you-want freedom. Yet those Lego Harry Potter/Batman/Indiana Jones/Whatever games only haveā€¦ yellow-headed Lego figurines in animations impossible to do with real figurines. What’s the appeal? Even the environments aren’t made of Lego, they’re mostly semi-realistic. What remains is a ho-hum Third Person action game.

The only appeal I can see is the cute-ness of big, yellow heads. Otherwise it’s nothing but a license orgy.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Yeah, you are sort of correct, but the fact is that these games always ooze with charm.
      People say the books are better than movies… well The Lego game is better than the movie also. No dialogue is partly why, so the decision to have these characters speak is just dumb. (haha)

9. db1331 says:

“I remain thoroughly delighted and might just go out and buy a heaping ton of themed Legos in anticipation. The games, I mean. Yeah. Because I am An Adult.”

I just bought a Lego X-Wing for a desk decoration. It has a thingy on the back you can turn to switch the wings in and out of attack mode. It’s one of the best purchases I have ever made.

10. bear912 says:

Wait, there are people who dislike the Lego games? Well, if you fall into that category I can contentedly dismiss all of your opinions from now on since you’ve made it clear that you’re a po-faced silly. :)

(To clarify, I am speaking of certain commenters on this fine site, not of yourself, Mr. Grayson)

• siegarettes says:

Those are the people who like a big dose of SERIOUS in their game, and frown at the sight of anything charming or what they perceive as “dumbed down.”

Me? I think this sounds like a riot. Open world LEGO chaos? Yes please. I need something to wash away the grit of modern gaming.

11. radioactivez0r says:

Started playing LEGO Pirates last night. I chuckled several times. There’s a charm to those games, despite their relative simplicity.

12. sleepisthebrotherofdeath says:

So this is just the “Arkham City” game in lego then……… Excellent!

13. caulder says:

I had never played any Lego game, so I was surprised when the first Lego Batman turned out to be the best co-op I’ve had in years. It looks like the sequel has a surprisingly high chance of being game of the year material, especially with so many of the big titles flopping so hard.

14. GiantRaven says:

Until this actually comes out, I’m going to be fangasming at which character might potentially be in it.

Green Arrow? Cassandra Cain? Squeeee!

15. abandonhope says:

I guess open-world gets us one step closer to some kind of Minecraft-like Lego adventure. The original Lego games were fun, but the formula got somewhat tiresome. I’m glad to see something new being tried.

16. iZen says:

Wo, when will there be a lego game where you can actually do what lego is about: Building and breaking stuff out of several different blocks?

17. Quarex says:

Why is the Hulk in a DC game?

Comment on this story