Spectral Time Warrior: Ghost Recon – Future Soldier

By Adam Smith on May 24th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Tom Clancy has written and directed loads of adverts for his Future Soldier game and the latest is a launch trailer, although the PC version isn’t actually launching until mid-June. Nevertheless, it’s my favourite advideo to date, featuring as it does the word co-operative over and over again. I like co-operative games so maybe I’ll actually enjoy this latest Clanciful vision of tomorrow’s conflicts, even if previous attempts to convince me of its worth by comparing players to addicts and going all gloomy didn’t particularly convince. There was also the worst advert for anything ever, which you may have been lucky enough to miss. Please don’t feel obliged to prove me wrong by sharing worse adverts below.

I can’t work out if they can actually become invisible or not and I’m too lazy to find out for sure. I’m going to imagine that they do. They can also high five each other from any distance whatsoever after making a kill by forcing their palms to tear through the fabric of reality.

, , .

1. sneetch says:

Just watched “the worst advert for anything ever” which I had previously been lucky enough to miss; I truly miss how I was five minutes ago.

• Premium User Badge AmateurScience says:

Wow that was bad. Curiosity killed the cat as they say. Or in this case curiosity caused AmateurScience to facepalm repeatedly for 3 minutes.

• The First Door says:

Yeah, it was some sort of clever physiological trap. Who can resist clicking on a button which claims that? Possibly quite rightly in this case…

• teljuiceme says:

I watched five seconds, during which time I fully agreed that it is the worst advert ever, and stopped watching. There was no need watch another 1:30 to reinforce the point at the expense of my own sanity. I miss how I was five seconds ago.

2. ShowMeTheMonkey says:

Just in case you forgot what the series was all about:

3. Vagrant says:

To quote the Joystiq review:

Survival (or Horde) mode, where four players defend a designated area from waves of progressively tougher enemies. At first you’re fighting infantry, but as the waves go on armored vehicles come into play.

Yeah, thats about all you need to do if you want to sell a game to me and 3 other people I know.

• nk says:

I know, right ? It’s like horde is the new deathmatch : every game must have it, but nobody plays it more than once. To be entirely honest, some games actually gain some longevity (ME3) but most are just plain uninteresting (Space Marine, Shank 2) compared to the single player campaign.

I’d take a full-fledged co-op campaign over this any day.

• Hug_dealer says:

oddy enough This game gives you both, and more.

• nk says:

Well, that’s the way to go ! Count me in if the game is actually good (which it seems to be).

• Vagrant says:

That’s not sarcasm. We’ve got about 100 hours logged into R6: Vegas 2 playing it’s ‘horde’ mode.

• nk says:

Nope, not sarcasm. I played like 3 rounds of R6V2 horde after the co-op campaign before I lost interest. Well, to each his own eh ?

4. BrendanJB says:

Oh man I can’t wait to hear RPS’ view on this game.

I played it a bit on my phony gamestation. You don’t control your squad beyond tagging enemies you want dead, there are slow motion breach-and-clear sections, there are on-rails segments where your team forms a diamond formation that moves by itself, you can go invisible at any time by crouch-walking, the enemy A.I is pants on head retarded and predictable – running from the same 2 positions of cover and popping their heads out in the exact same spot, the multiplayer is a blend of ME3 and COD with a couple of future gadgets thrown in, and the story and characters are your typical Clancy bunch – you don’t care about anything that happens.

Apparently you can play it cooperatively, though. I think it might be more fun messing around with some friends. It’s competent, and I’m not hating it, but it feels stale and all too familiar.

5. DanPryce says:

Alternative headline: Full Spectral Warrior: Ghost Recon – Future Soldier.

Doesn’t look to bad actually. I’m not much of a military shooter guy, but I could see myself giving this a go.

• Fumarole says:

My Special Lady Friend doesn’t like it when I refer to her OBGYN as a Full Speculum Warrior.

6. woodsey says:

Someone was REALLY proud of all the time they spent sculpting the team’s arses.

• lowprices says:

Hey, if you’ve got it, flaunt it. And these gentlemen certainly have ‘it’.

7. Radiant says:

This game is complete shit.
    Co-op play might save it but it is the most corridor of corridor shooters sprinkled with the most generic shootery stuff of the past 10 years.

Stick Splinter cell conviction cod blops and gears of war in a blender and release it.

I was expecting a glorious Navy Seals Fire team bravo style of tactical shooter but what the game actually is is a really really generic Terminator Salvation style shooter

Here euro game has the first level play through.

• Premium User Badge jezcentral says:

@Radiant: Stick Splinter cell conviction cod blops and gears of war in a blender and release it?

Hell, that sounds like something I would be interested in.

But yeah, I still kickstarted Takedown.

• Radiant says:

Splinter Cell Conviction had it’s moments.
        But to cherry pick game mechanics and then not put any thought in to how to cohesively apply them to a different game or work out any kind of improvements to the tropes is just lazy.

It’s taking a bunch of video game cliches and pretending we haven’t seen them done before [and done better].

I was really disappointed I really wanted to play a good shooter.

• nk says:

Plus the co-op campaign in conviction was actually pretty good, though quite short. I had more fun with it than with the single player part. Then again, co-op tend to make game seem better than they actually are… And it’s good anyway.

I hope this one does not disappoint.

• Malk_Content says:

My god that looked terrible. My favourite worst bit was the “stealth” section with only one route, the ability for the ai to walk in enemy los without being shouted at or even better the ability to repeatedly stand in front of an enemy for up to 5 seconds without him investigating/raising alarms. Oh and 2 slow motion bits in the first level, hate to see how many more the game throws at you.

• Brun says:

Did anyone actually expect this to be anything more than GeneriShooter #1203? Honestly, ever since the first screenshots and trailers it’s just screamed “I wish I invented Call of Duty.”

8. Shooop says:

Oh for… Just LOOK at that muzzle flash at 25 seconds in! What’s he shooting at those guys, a weaponized flashlight?

9. Fumarole says:

Clanciful is a great word, thanks.

10. Gasmask Hero says:

After watching that carnival I’m convined that the phrase ‘Ghost Recon’ is now so divorced from it’s original concept as to be meaningless.
    I think the phrase ‘Gears of War’ suits it better, since it played exactly like Gears of War.. So I’m going to call the game ‘Gears of War Future Soldier’.
    But what now for Ghost Recon? Well, I have in the kitchen a lump of cheese. Since Ubisoft are apparently now in the business of attaching random phrases to things, I’ll follow suit, and name it ‘Ghost Recon Lump of Cheese’. It bears as much resemblance to the original Ghost Recon as Future Soldier does, so why not?

• Arglebargle says:

Ghost of War: Recon Soldier!

Soldier of Clancy: War of Ghosts?

• MomoTheCow says:

This is the angriest cheese-related diatribe I’ve ever read.

11. tossrStu says:

Share worse adverts, did you say? Alright then!

(I’m kidding; it’s not actually worse as it’s redeemed by the guy’s similarity to a certain Peter Serafinowicz character…)