Space Punk’s Not Dead: Mass Effect 3′s Rebellion DLC

By Nathan Grayson on May 26th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

A face not even a mother could love. Mostly because I'm not actually sure that species is physically capable of love.
Sadly, this is not the intergalactic sequel to Brendan’s now-deceased column series. Much as we wanted to mix things up with a sassy Elcor sidekick, contractual issues left the whole thing stalled out on the launch pad. So instead, you’ll just have to settle for some particularly rebellious Mass Effect 3 multiplayer DLC. Specifically, the Vorcha are making their no-good, law-breaking debut by, er, joining your baddie-smashing squad and cooperating. In addition, Quarians and Ex-Cerberus add two new characters a piece to the fray, with two new maps, three weapons, and a stat-altering persistent gear slot rounding out the package. Best of all, unless you’re playing a used (read: impossible on PC) or scandalously acquired copy, it’s all free from the get-go.

The Mass Effect 3 blog gave a rundown of the rebellion, which – somewhat shockingly – involves lots of shooting and very little peaceful protest.

“The Rebellion Multiplayer Expansion opens two new fronts against the Reapers: Firebase Jade’s jungle reservoir and Firebase Goddess on Thessia. In-game reinforcement packs now include three new weapons (Reegar Carbine, Krysae Sniper Rifle, Cerberus Harrier) as well as equipment, consumables, and six new characters from species that have lost lives or whole planets to the Reapers: Quarian Engineer and Infiltrator, Vorcha Soldier and Sentinel, Ex-Cerberus Adept and Vanguard. The battle continues!”

Which is an oddly upbeat way to finish that thought after lamenting those species’ horrific losses at the hands of a race of sentient Death Stars, but oh well! At any rate, the new weapons and maps sound fairly standard, but an entire new gear slot is a potentially sizable addition depending on how significantly corresponding items affect stats. That said, I suppose it’s not entirely unexpected, given that EA and BioWare enjoy receiving money, and their vaguely diabolical reinforcement packs won’t stay fresh forever. A new, escort-focused objective, meanwhile, aims to do the same for missions themselves.

Rebellion kicks off on May 29, who’s chosen to go by the strange alternate name of “Tuesday” this year – much to the chagrin of adult family members who just don’t understand, I’m sure. Honestly, though, does this still interest anyone? I mean, I was briefly hooked back when ME3 first got off the great space loading elevator that is game development, but – thanks to games like Tribes – it was a romance doomed to spinfusor-flavored tragedy. How about everyone else, though? I mean, I can’t argue with free content, but are these DLC drips enough to keep you in for any sort of long haul?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. The Hammer says:

Wait, Quarian Engineer wasn’t a class from the start?

The mind boggles.

• Kandon Arc says:

It was, as was the Quarian Infiltrator. This is a bit confusing.

EDIT: Oh the new thing is that you can have boy Quarians too, not just girls now.

• Sceptrum says:

Male Quarians and if I read right, they seem to have different abilities too.

• Godwhacker says:

They won’t have the voice of Adam Baldwin though, because his character gets killed off in what amounts to a blog post.

• RakeShark says:

A honest and real tragedy, right there.

• westyfield says:

Whaaaaaat, when did Reegar buy it?

• Godwhacker says:

There’s a news bulletin around the time that Tali turns up. I can’t be arsed to look at the wiki, but I think this is what the eye witness report said:

“There were a load of Reapers or Cerberus, and they were, like, killing civilians and children- especially the children, they totally hated the children- and these super-nice but totally badass Quarians turned up and said, “Hey guys, I’m Kal Reegar from space and this is Special Ops Bravo Squad Alpha, we’re totally going to provide cover while you get to your helicopter or whatever it is”

Anyway we all got in the car and drove off with like seconds to spare, but when we got to Tescos we looked back and they were being eaten by Banshees and those big robot things.

Bummer.”

2. phylum sinter says:

I play it a few hours a week, and still haven’t finished the campaign (waiting for them to finish it on their side first after all that… stuff that happened).

I don’t really do many mp games either, but ME3′s MP is tight, 15 minute rounds of straight shooting and it feels really good for about an hour at a time for me. The DLC they’ve offered for free has been awesome so far, and if they kept it coming i would not complain, even if a few new maps really only spur me to play for a few days.

More MP modes, a story DLC or increased level caps would make me play more though.

3. Howard says:

So more of their bullshit, undercooked, enforced multiplayer that we never wanted anyway but still no attempt to man up and un-ruin their series after they released the worst sequel in history?
    Fuck these guys. Seriously, fuck them

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

I don’t understand your logic. Bioware announces new free ending DLC, and in the meantime have/will release two more free DLC packs free. And you are angry with them for doing so?

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Wow, someone is miffed about an entirely optional feature. A rather fun one, I might add. Also, WTF do you mean by “undercooked”? It is a rather nice demonstration that ME3 can stand on its own as a co-op shooter, as opposed to the previous two games. Besides, the Extended Cut will be out soon enough, so here, have a (cookie/cracker/biscuit/insert synonym here).
      Edit: Damn you slow typing!

• Chufty says:

Have you never read the internet before?

This is no place for reason and logic.

• Howard says:

Another reply attempt.
        Yes the extended cut will be here soon but it will fix nothing. They have already spouted their bullshit about “artistic integrity” and that they have no intention of changing or adding to the endings so screw them and anything they do from here on.

• Ringwraith says:

Except even maxing out their multiplayer thing and beating the game to give you the ‘best’ ending amounts to nothing anyway.
          Thus it’s a completely hollow system.
          Doesn’t mean the co-op’s any less fun though, which is what matters.

• Vorphalack says:

Entirely optional…..only if you don’t want to reach maximum War Readiness. Otherwise, mandatory.

• Big Murray says:

Achieving maximum war readiness doesn’t change anything in the end, except for the possibility of a single easter egg scene.

Way too much moaning about that to me. It’s an achievement hunter mindset causing it.

• Vorphalack says:

Doesn’t matter weather you think it’s legitimate criticism or moaning, or weather or not you think maximum War Readiness is worthwhile. It is simply a fact that if you want to achieve maximum War Readiness you must play some multi-player. It is not inconceivable to imagine that some players would want the former without the latter, considering the focus of the previous games was very much a solo cover shooter RPG.

• Guhndahb says:

No, it has nothing to do with achievement hunting. It has to do with wanting the best outcome for the galaxy in a role play sense. Even if there is only the one easter egg difference, that’s irrelevant. In my head, I want to achieve maximum readiness and I’d like to do it without MP. I worked hard through three games trying to reach that ideal. I don’t think I’m asking too much.

Honestly, I don’t care that much about it. I enjoyed the trilogy and was only mildly vexed about the MP situation and the ending, not nearly enough to ruin anything. But I won’t put up with people dismissing other people’s legitimate complaints so easily (and wrongly). I just hope that once MP dies they patch it so your war effort value (whatever they called it) is at 100 instead of 50.

• Ergonomic Cat says:

You could also play the Mass Effect Datapad game, which adds galactic readiness, and I think Mass Effect: Infiltrator. If you absolutely insist on getting 100% readiness, and absolutely hate MP, there’s other choices. And yes, I realize you can respond to this with “What if I don’t have a device that can play them?” Life is harsh. Go to YouTube.

I love ME3 MP. Any number of people I play with have said “Wow – this is seriously their first attempt at Multiplayer? Because it’s better than X, Y and Z.” I gave up playing Modern Warfare 3 entirely, and only play Gears 3 when friends insist. It’s ME3 or Ghost Recon (or Gotham City Imposters, but that’s different) for many of us.

Oh, sorry. Internet. GOD I HATE BIOWARE THEY ARE THE WORST PEOPLE EVER WORSE THAN PEOPLE THAT MADE HORRIBLE GAMES BECAUSE THEIR AWESOME GAME WASN’T AWESOME ENOUGH AND I DIDN’T LIKE PART OF IT THEY ARE WORSE THAN RUNNING WITH SCISSORS COMBINED WITH DEREK SMART.

• Vorphalack says:

You didn’t need to tell us you are an ex CoD player, all that raging stupidity was a dead give away.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

ALL MY NUMBERS MUST BE MAXED OTHERWISE I WON’T ACHIEVE A FULL SATISFACTION/ERECTION

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Shut up, the multiplayer is fun.

Needs more Elcors though.

• rohsiph says:

I beat the game last night. I don’t understand what’s wrong with the ending. It made a lot of sense to me. If you don’t mind, I’ll pretend that’s because I’ve read a lot of old books that don’t give a shorts about holding the reader’s hand through the denouement.

Either that or I’m craaaazypants. Either way you’re sillypants to me for having such a passionately negative opinion about a good, dark ending.

• Vorphalack says:

Watch this:

The ending isn’t just a bit off the wall in places (see spaceghostgodchild), it alternates between shallow and fundamentally broken. Angry Jo says it better than any of us probably would, go watch.

• Apolloin says:

Yes, the ending requires FAR too much erudition and learning to be enjoyable. All they need to do is a ‘Janet and John’ version and everything will be fine.

That’s CLEARLY the problem here.

4. Sceptrum says:

Some of us still play it. The Rachni, Pyjak, Salarian thread in Game Clubs subforum has 762 replies so far.

• RakeShark says:

Aye, and some of us are good at it too! Got a couple of videos of our various failures and exploits produced, showing off all kinds of trouble.

• Sarigs says:

Yeah I’ve only recently joined in with the other, games still pop frequently and it’s a fun, driven MP.

Except for the reaper ones. Hate them buggers.

• Memph says:

Yes yes! More should join our defending of the galaxy. We’re grinding silver mostly (whilst levelling from 1 like it ain’t no thing, if you’re Sceptrum). Hop in the Rachni, Pyjak, Salarian thread and add us up on origin/steam to get some games on.

5. Howard says:

It’s not optional but is linked into the core single player game, such as it is in that pitiful game.

And yes I will be angry with them. Mass Effect has been irrevocably ruined by these tossers and I won’t give them a micron of anything other than scorn
    EDIT. Reply fail…

• iucounu says:

Er… this is very odd. ME3 multiplayer is literally the only online shooter I have ever been hooked on. It is precisely what I want out of such a thing and I can’t remotely understand where ‘pitiful’ and ‘undercooked’ are coming from. To the extent that it’s ‘enforced’ – well, as a hitherto SP-only gamer I would be the first person to complain if it was not fun or if playing it felt onerous.

I get that you don’t like the MP game, and I get that you hated ME3 in a wider sense; but again, having played about 3/4 of it, I seem to be having a lot of fun, as I did with the first two… What’s the vitriol about?

(I also seem to be enjoying D3 a lot, despite acknowledging the fact that most of the innovations and the DRM etc are clearly bullshit. Maybe I’m evil or something.)

• Sarigs says:

Well ME3 as a whole is a awesome game. Just keep your expectations low/everything that happens in the last 10 minutes with a pinch of salt and enjoy the rest ;-)

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Howard, microns are units of distance/length, not mass. Also, would it kill you to quit whining, or at least be a bit more polite while doing so?
      @iucounu: or maybe you are just sane.

• Howard says:

I know they are a unit if distance. It was a pun on giving people an inch you see. As to being less rude or vitriolic: this is the toned down version of my venom for those scumbags.

To those who haven’t finished the game and do not understand my anger: keep playing and you soon will
        To those who held off buying it for whatever reason: you are wiser than I and I beg you to leave it well alone. Better to leave this series unfinished than to see the horror that awaits you. You simply cannot envisage how appalling the endings to this game are.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

We are all aware of the ending bollocks. No-one cares anymore, so, please, shut the hell up.

• Howard says:

@epicthefail
            Not a chance. How about you stop telling others what to do?

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Played ME3, enjoyed it. The ending wasn’t superb – although the last moment with Shepperd and Andersen was nicely judged.

Unsure how this thing happening now *ruins* the games I played 2 and 4 years ago…

• The Hammer says:

Ooherrr!

Someone’s angry beyond what is healthy!

• Breadnought says:

“wiser than me” not “wiser than I”. I don’t normally correct people but since you’re trying so hard to sound educated, I thought I’d help you a bit.

• andytt66 says:

Both are entirely defensible, as than can be both a preposition and a conjunction.

Than is both a subordinating conjunction, as in She is wiser than I am, and a preposition, as in She is wiser than me…. Since the following verb am is often dropped or “understood,” we regularly hear than I and than me. Some commentators believe that the conjunction is currently more frequent than the preposition, but both are unquestionably Standard.”

Wilson, K. G. The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. New York: Columbia University Press, 1993, pp. 433–34.

tl;dr version : don’t be a cock.

• TsunamiWombat says:

False! Micron is the Zentradi word for humans! YOU’VE COME TO STEAL OUR PROTOCULTURE

6. RakeShark says:

Oooh, I’ll have to play some more.

Though kinda I love the relentless enthusiasm in the descriptions, this one especially:
    “The Male Quarian Infiltrator must actively rely on stealth while in the heat of battle, and when they make use of their Tactical Scan ability, they quickly prove their mettle while continuously dishing out the pain.”

I can only imagine an offensive tricorder. So… surprise alien anal probe?

7. Patches the Hyena says:

I personally love the multiplayer, the Krysae sounds pretty damn awesome.

8. Dammokles says:

Meh. Ever since I heard about their Day 1 DLC, this title fell off my “Day 1 purchase” list. I have enough games in my “to finish” pipeline that I can afford to wait for the GOTY edition. It might be 2 years down the road, but I’ll rather snap up the fixed ending and the DLC in one fell swoop.

• Ringwraith says:

Mass Effect 2 never had a Goatee edition, so you may be waiting for something that never comes there.

9. celozzip says:

free again? what happened to ea? was it that ‘worst company ever’ award that they won? bf3 is still shit and getting worse, ea. how about you fix that too.

10. Wizlah says:

I don’t get much time to game extensively at the moment much less MP game online, so I rate the multiplayer which will let me drop in for at least an hour’s solid gaming. They keep mixing things up, so I’ll keep giving it a go.

And yeah, as sceptrum said – check out the mumble servers and the rachni, pyjak salarian group thread – there’s nearly always someone to play with, if you want to drop in for a bit.

11. Vinraith says:

We should be taking bets on when they’ll shut down the MP servers. 6 months? A year? Maybe 2?

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

When people stop playing?

• Vinraith says:

Put the gentleman down for “less than a year.” Personally I think they’ll leave them up a little longer to save face.

• subedii says:

Personally I’d put it at 2-3 years, but who knows. It could be just as possible that EA are looking to expand it into effectively its own micro-transaction based spin-off.

The bigger bonus question is if should it come to that stage (closure), whether they’ll bother patching the game so you can max out your readiness levels without it.

To which the answer I’m guessing is: no.

• Vinraith says:

I’d say there’s no chance whatsoever they’ll patch the readiness system. The higher levels will become to province of “new game+” only (which they basically are now, for anyone that just wants to play the game single player) and that will be that.

• subedii says:

Basically.

I mean I remember EA also saying on the official Dead Space forums that they’d patch out the install limits on the game once it had had most of its sales period.

Which of course, never happened either. Personally the first thing I did after buying Dead Space was hopping online and downloading a crack for it. Makes me half wonder whether I count in the piracy statistics as a result. :P

12. DickSocrates says:

Space Punk. Spunk.

13. AlexW says:

Best of all, unless you’re playing a used (read: impossible on PC) or scandalously acquired copy, it’s all free from the get-go.

You know what’s funny? Even though the PC version is incapable of being sold used, after a couple of the recent weekend Operations they do to spice things up (provide overall community goals and goals for squads in specific games, give people stuff for completing these) people have been locked out of their PC versions because Bioware borked something, and it took a few days each time for them to figure out how to fix the problem.

14. MSJ says:

One of the new weapons is an automatic Mattock rifle. AUTOMATIC MATTOCK. AUTOMATTOCK!!!!!!!!! I shall bestow this upon my turian soldier, and all shall despair!!!!! And then die.

I hope they honor Reegar properly with that shotgun. It must be better than the arc pistol.

Also, playing a vorcha will obligate you to scream things like “You all choke and die now!” into the mic. Goes nicely with batarians going “You sir, are a blight” everywhere, and the krogans espousing the merits of krogan brotherhood.

15. NyuBomber says:

I went in to ME3′s multiplayer hoping t would give me something distracting to do while I replayed the series.

I’m fairly certain it’s inhibiting me from progressing faster due to how much I play it.

16. eclipse mattaru says:

I hate multiplayer of every sort with a passion, but I think I spent a good couple hundred hours in this.

There’s something that just feels right about it: Missions are so neatly designed that teams just tend to work as teams naturally, without the need of barking orders or any other form of communication, it just flows –it’s sort of like playing a single player with actually clever NPCs; plus the enemies are tough as nails (as opposed to the pussies in the campaign) (and in pretty much every other game for that matter) which makes it a very rewarding challenge, especially in Silver and Gold; and the gameplay has plenty of options for different play styles with all the classes and whatnot, and it’s perfectly tuned for the fast paced action (it’s worth playing the previous games to see just how much the combat evolved).

• Dreforian says:

I’m pretty much in the same boat. The communication is a two way street though. Having voice chat as the only mode of communication with strangers is both a blessing and a barrier. You don’t have to listen to the typical drivel that accompanies some multiplayer environments but you also can’t find out if the guy standing in the LZ for three rounds is mooching or bugging out or having an emergency. You can’t yell at That One Guy to quit running off on his own or tell someone “I’ve got this, go help That One Guy” when you’re trying to hack a terminal. It’s also tougher to make connections with decent players (WTB in-game friending button). My only major grievance (aside from the biotic rush bug) is the pace of weapons upgrades. The whole pack system is designed to progress glacially slow due to the randomness and high cost of the more worthwhile packs. Obviously the idea is to speed it up by spending real world money via bioware points but I DON’T WANNA. This becomes a real problem when I’ve seen and done bronze and silver but don’t have the gear to be confident in pulling my own weight should I try gold.

• eclipse mattaru says:

That is true about voice comm pros and cons, but personally I found troublesome situations like those (and in fact occurences of kill stealers and jackasses along those lines) to be oddly rare, which surprised me nicely; and even more so considering that I only play with random teams. I guess the game is populated with very clever people as well as being well thought out. Or maybe I’m just lucky like that.

Also, you wanna stick to Silver as soon as you’re level 14 or so, because in my experience that’s where the big money and the best rewards are. And you wanna save money for the biggest packs too, because the smaller ones are only useful to get power ups, rockets and medkits. Doing that I unlocked the Geth Engineer, the M-99 Saber rifle and the M-12 Locust SMG very early on, and those are quite a deadly combination.

17. PikaBot says:

I’m honestly surprised that people are still playing it. I played it for a bit, and I just found it to be a less interesting version of Killing Floor. The maps were small, almost cramped, and confusingly laid out. There was no sense of real progress within a given round since the only thing that changed about your equipment was that you ran out of expendables, and character progression between rounds was extremely tied to luck of the draw or shelling out cash in ripoff micro transactions. And unlike Killing Floor you couldn’t really use the environment to your advantage (by sealing and opening doors to control enemy movement) and enemy AI didn’t have any interesting tricks to it like ‘don’t piss off the Fleshpound’. Even the really powerful enemies just charge at you (or, you know, do screaming teleport chains) until they die. The objective waves are the only thing it really has over Killing Floor, and those are more a pain in the ass than anything.

It’s not awful or anything, but I found it rather uninspired, so I’m surprised that it didn’t go the way of Dead Space 2 and Bioshock 2′s.