The RPS Bargain Bucket: Not Quite Right

By Lewie Procter on May 26th, 2012 at 12:17 pm.

Is it sunny where you are today? It’s a gorgeous day here at Savy Towers, with a bright blue sky and beaming hot sun. What better weather could there be to stay inside and play some cheap computer games. None, says I. None whatsoever. If you’re in the mood for buying some new slices of digital fun, here’s your handy weekly guide to the very best offers available this weekend. I’m off to find some cider and sit in the sun, but you can find my regular gaming bargain hunting exploits chronicled over here, if you like.

Sonic Generations – £4.78/€5.98/$7.49
Registers on Steam, and you’ll need to enter a US billing address to be able to buy it.
Adam seemed to like this, but obviously that’s because he’s a wrong ‘un. This is Sega’s attempt to make a game that straddles both the classic 16 bit Sonic play style and those newer 3D games that people seem to keep buying. Sadly Generations utterly fails to reproduce the classic Mega Drive games in anything other than a purely superficial manner. The presentation, level structure, art style and most importantly controls are all not quite right. I wonder why Sega absolutely refuse to make a game with the same physics and controls as the original games. If you’ve enjoyed any other Sonic games since 1994, you’ll probably enjoy this one too, but it ain’t for me. No sir.

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift & Need for Speed: Shift 2: Unleashed – £9.57/€11.98/$14.99
These should all (optionally) registers on Origin, and you’ll need to enter a US billing address to be able to buy it. Get this pack for all four games, or they’re available for £3.19/€3.99/$4.99 a pop individually. Here’s EA’s staple of racing games from the last few years. Personally, I’d give Hot Pursuit a miss, but the rest are all great if you’re into that sort of thing. Burnout Paradise is all about fun driving around a big city smashing into anything that can be smashed into, the Shift games are fairly technical (for my mind) racing sims with a fabulous in cockpit view, and Hot Pursuit has cutscenes that tell you to press a button to skip, but then it doesn’t skip when you press the appropriate button. Here’s all the relevant RPS coverage: Burnout Paradise, Hot Pursuit, Shift & Shift 2.

Civilization V – £4.99/€7.49/$7.49
Or stump up £7.49/€9.99/$12.49 to get the Goatee edition.
Here’s wot Alec thought of the most recent Meier ‘em up:

Civ V’s reliably done what every Civ game has ever done (with the possible exception of III): eat my time as unashamedly as a dog in a pork pie factory. I laugh a little when I look back at my complaints a few paragraphs up. I say those things because they must be noted, but it’s not like they ever put me off playing. It’s not like they stop me from being profoundly glad and satisfied that there’s another Civilization icon winking cheekily at me from the desktop. I want it to be better, I want it to be bolder, I want it to address and improve the very foundations of Civilization, but it’s sure as hell going to sit on my hard drive for months anyway. Yeah, this’ll ultimately be remembered as one of the filler tracks on Civ’s best-of LP, one of the ones you never quite felt had real heart, real soul – but it’s a tune I’m more than happy to hum.

More here.

1893: A World’s Fair Mystery, Ben There, Dan That!, Time Gentlemen, Please!, Gemini Rue & The Sea Will Claim Everything – Pay what you want
Ben There, Dan That!, Time Gentlemen, Please! & Gemini Rue optionally register on Steam & Desura.
Here’s the latest indie bundle to launch, the Bundle In A Box. Confusingly, it’s not in a box, but instead on a website. I suppose you could put your PC inside a cardboard box for the duration of the transaction. It’s all adventure games here, featuring RPS favourites Gemini Rue & Ben There, Dan That. Beat the average price (currently £3.75/€4.70/$5.88) and also get The Shivah & Metal Dead.

Deal of the week
Because We May sale.
So many games. How many? Too many to list. This is a massive sale coordinated by the Goo King, Ron Carmel. As a celebration of developer freedom with regards to pricing, Ron and a cavalcade of developers across the globe have slashed their prices. For our purposes, there’s loads of games on Steam and loads of games sold direct by the developers taking part, but there’s also a couple of mobile and console games included too. My personal top picks: The Binding of Isaac, Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death, Waves, Introversion Complete Pack, Bagfull Of Wrong, Scoregasm and Dino Run SE.

Also of note:
Football Manager 2012 – £4.78/€5.98/$7.49
SEGA 48-Game Mega Arcade Pack – £6.38/€7.98/$9.99
Mirror’s Edge – £3.18/€3.99/$4.99

For more cheap games pumped directly into your web browser of choice, have a pootle over to SavyGamer.co.uk.

__________________

« | »

1. Gubsnik says:

No mention of Steam’s Red Orchestra 2 sale and free weekend? Well that’s a thing that’s happening in case people didn’t know.

2. SquareWheel says:

Good week for sales. And bundles. Two more currently live:

3. The Godzilla Hunter says:

Edit: nvm, apparently this ended. Soz.

4. vivlo says:

Mirror’s edge <3

5. Colonel J says:

Other good deals in that amazon.com sale:

Femme Fatale pack: Mirror’s Edge & Alice: The Madness Returns for $9.99 http://amzn.to/JDV0fN

Divnity 2: DKS for $5.99 http://amzn.to/KqhQUm

• Theon says:

Do those register on Steam?
      That seems like a good price, if not for the horror of EA’s SecuRom…

• Colonel J says:

DKS II from Amazon has an option for either DRM free or a Steam key I think.

Alice & Mirror’s Edge I think are either Origin key registration only or Amazon’s stand-alone download with SecuROM (never used the latter myself). Or you can do both if so inclined.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Mirror’s Edge will be through Amazon. I don’t know about Alice, but Mirror’s Edge does not require Origin nor is it supported via Origin.

• Jason Moyer says:

I was able to register a retail copy of Mirror’s Edge on Origin using my secureROM code, so presumably the Amazon version will work if it has the same online activation.

• Theon says:

Not ready to accept Origin just yet.
            I’m guessing the SecuRom direct download is limited to a certain small number of installs?

• Colonel J says:

Aye Mirror’s Edge from Amazon definitely activates on Origin – I just bought it and did that.

The SecurROM I think is 5 activations. Or just get a crack. If memory serves EA did release a deauthorisation tool can restore activations if you use them all.

I went with Origin client as the lesser of two DRM evils.

• Jason Moyer says:

Thanks for the heads up on Divinity II, bought the Steam code.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Both Mirror’s Edge and Alice MR are available separately for $4.99 each. Also, neither of them require Origin (at least in the U.S.).

• Urthman says:

Thank you! I, too got Divinity 2 at a lower price than I was wiling to pay at the next Steam sale (CAPITALISM FAIL!)

Are there any websites that monitor these PC download game sales on Amazon (other than the comments section of the RPS Bargain Bin?)

6. Alien426 says:

There are more pay-(almost)-what-you-want deals:
    Just Adventure Online Shop (Black Mirror, Dark Fall 2: Lights Out, Aura: Fate Of The Ages, bonus: Dead Reefs; minimum payment: $US 3 or equivalent)
    The Indie Face Kick Bundle (Tompi Jones, Arkhelom 3D, Alien Hallway plus Depth Hunter, Alien Shooter 2 if you pay $US 5 or more)

• Jupiah says:

Clicks on link to Just Adventure Store, am greeted with this worrisome message:

“Secure Connection Not Allowed. This resource may not be accessed with a secure (https) connection. Use a normal connection method (http) instead.”

Welp, I’m never shopping at that website and I’d advise anyone else to reconsider doing so themselves.

• Thermal Ions says:

The site uses http for it’s main website pages and catalogue, but https for it’s purchase process (pretty standard). I’m gathering the link posted was incorrectly entered as https but has since been corrected, as the error only shows now if you change it to https.

7. c-Row says:

Don’t listen to that heretic – Sonic Generations was great on PC. Controls lagged on XBox though.

• Gnoupi says:

This. Sonic generations is a very good game.

• _PixelNinja says:

I agree — the general consensus is that Generations is the best Sonic in a long time. Lewie not liking the game is fine, but I must disagree about the controls in that for once the physics are done right. I loved Sonic on the Mega System and Megadrive, hated the attempts to reproduce the game-play since (although there were occasional okay titles in the franchise).

Generations is a love letter to the fans of the blue hedgehog.

• Xocrates says:

The physics weren’t done quite right, but they are a good approximation and work fine, unlike Sonic 4 *shudders*.

Yeah, Lewie is just a sour puss, Sonic Generations is certainly worth getting.

8. TechnicalBen says:

Just as a little warning to everyone. The Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box is great, and the game is fun. However, be warned that the online DLC store is now obsolete and closed. So if the pack does not include the DLC, there is no way to get it/activate it. :(

9. Unfair says:

As usual I have video reviews of all the indie bundles, if anyone wants to take a quick look at the pros/cons of each game:

Bundle In A Box (The Sea Will Claim Everything

Dark Fall: Lost Souls
    Xotic
    BEEP
    Sideway New York
    The Ball
    Post Apocalyptic Mayhem):
    ** Link removed due to moderation queue thingy, visit my channel if you need this one.

Been a busy week, I am now officially exhausted..

10. Mr. Magoolachub says:

Disregard Lewie’s comments Sonic Generations is good fun and that is a good price. Like Lewie I have also not enjoyed the 3d Sonic offerings but Generations is quite good in my opinion.

11. HungryDave says:

Don’t forget Saints Row The Third for $17 at Amazon and Gamersgate!

It runs GREAT on PC! Forget that Saints Row 2 port! Not sure how these deals apply to those in the UK…

12. Jac says:

You can get it for £7.99 at pcworld downloads using code PCGAMER20 before you checkout:

• trjp says:

Insert usual comment about how PCWorldDownloads is blacklisted by several bank debit card providers (entire Lloyds Group and some bits of HSBC at least) – credit cards seem to work for more people tho.

• Jac says:

Didn’t know that how come? I’ve only used them once and it was fine using my hsbc debit card. Got given the game key instantly.

• trjp says:

Halifax told me they were marked as ‘high risk due to abnormally high levels of fraud’ – I’m guessing it’s because they’re non-UK based and a lot of parents will be finding charges to them (listed as ZTorm Stockholm or something like that) and chasing them/chargebacking them??

My support case with them was closed because there’s nothing they can do about this – my bank also said there was nothing they could do.

I ran into a similar problem with GetGamesGo over the DS3 deal (blocked by the bank – same excuse given).

• brulleks says:

Ah – thank you! I’d wondered why my card was being blocked from PC World when I tried to make a purchase a few weeks ago. The same thing happened on shopto.net – they use the same third party payment system as PC World, so I guess Lloyds Group have blocked anyone that uses that.

13. JellyD says:

You can keep posting amazon deals, but would you kindly include the fact that outside the us you will not be able to buy them. You need an american adress, and that you can make up but you also need a credit card. Amazon does not accept paypal.

• aldo_14 says:

You need a US delivery address, that’s all. I’ve ordered stuff (to my brother in law’s place) delivered in the US with my UK debit and credit cards.

• JellyD says:

Still though, I think there are quite a few people without a credit card, and it would be nice to mention that without one you cannot buy the game.

• Donkeyfumbler says:

Wrong I’m afraid. You need an American billing address. You can of course make up an address and make that the billing address for your Credit Card, but that’s not strictly legal unfortunately. If you have a US delivery address but a UK address as your billing address, you won’t be able to buy.

• DrGonzo says:

Then BundleBox is for you, it’s an American address service. Not used it yet, but heard good things. http://www.bundlebox.com/

14. HexagonalBolts says:

Lewie you sure love your old school gaming, the highest praise is always reserved for something that isn’t 3D heh.

• HexagonalBolts says:

What a bizarre reason to sell discounted violent videogames

• El_Emmental says:

not exploiting the death of millions of people would be really foolish, there’s so much free marketing to piggyback with these national days !

• trjp says:

More people died in the 1918 “Spanish Flu” Pandemoic than died in WW1 (at least 2.5% of the world’s population at the time – a similar % to those killed in WWII) so I’m wondering why it doesn’t have it’s own weekend and – indeed – bargain game deals??

Sneezy Weekend – you could be in the 27% of the world’s population who were infected with CHEAP GAMES…

No – seriously tho – more than 1 in 4 people on earth contracted the flu in the space of 2 years, and almost no-one seems to remember it!? Bizarre innit – we remember the disasters we caused but not the ones we just rode-out…

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

> “we remember the disasters we caused but not the ones we just rode-out”

Though do bear in mind that we may well have caused that one too! :)

• RegisteredUser says:

From what I read it was disease that actually killed off the native americans as well, so how about that slice of pie? :P

• Unaco says:

Everyone is different. Please don’t judge others for how they choose to remember and honour War Dead. Thank you.

15. djbriandamage says:

Bigfish Games is having a half-off-everything sale this weekend. They have tons of great stuff and you can try most games for free for an hour. I plan to buy Jordan Mechner’s The Last Express as well as some Bustle and Dash time management games for $5 each.

• Chesterton says:

Thanks for this – I’ve always been a fan of Fairway Solitare, but was always turned off by the rather high price. Picked it up for $2.99!

• trjp says:

If I were to apply my £1/hour of entertainment formula to Fairway Solitaire (in my case the £2 iPad version) I’d have had to pay £100s for it – it’s gaming crack of the highest order…

16. Soon says:

Metro 2033 is £3.74 at GamersGate.

17. SiHy_ says:

GOG.com has some things on sale. The only one I can remember is the Commandos Ammo Pack (Behind Enemy Lines and Beyond the Call of Duty) because I bought it yesterday.

EDIT: Here’s a list:
    Praetorians
    Realms of the Haunting
    Resonance
    Slipstream 5000
    Soulbringer

18. golem09 says:

Civ V is even cheaper on amazon.de
    6€ for the GOTY version.

19. emertonom says:

Edit: It seems the Double Fine games are part of the Because We May sale.

• trjp says:

They are and I can HEARTILY recommend Stacking as a charming, unusual and clever game in every possible way…

In fact I’d go so far to say it’s one of the most enjoyable games I’ve played in years – the problems require genuine thought but aren’t hugely obscure or lateral – usually if you have a sensible idea, it will work (most have multiple solutions anyway).

Costume Quest was the polar opposite for me tho – charm replaced with saccharine and game replaced with repetition and pointless collecting – but YMMV

Psychonauts we’ve talked to death before – if you’ve not bought it yet, you probably never will!!

20. El_Emmental says:

- Bundle in a Box
    - Build a Bundle
    - Indie Face Kick
    - Because We May

ouch, now I have to check which indie games I already own (!), then go through the 122-entries-long (so far) list and see if there isn’t a game I would buy =) Hopefully there’s UnfairReviews videos to help me out, but still, it’s gonna take me hours.

And Steam Summer sales coming soon… And Kickstarter projects keep appearing… when am I going to actually play ? I’m not being a gamer, I’m a “EULA Licenses Acquisition Manager” =o

• Thermal Ions says:

I’m a “EULA Licenses Acquisition Manager”

Quote of the Year. I dare say there’s quite a few of us here that have the qualifications for that position.

21. ShineyBlueShoes says:

I know that there’s awful issues with changing your password on the EA racers but I’m really tempted at that price.

• trjp says:

Just NFS:Shift2 has that problem – basically, unless you already have friends on Autolog, create a completely new account for Shift2 and NEVER change it’s password!!

22. malkav11 says:

New Indiegala.

Minimum of $1 gets:
    Making History: The Calm and the Storm (Steam)
    Beat Hazard (DRM-free)
    All five Ironclads games (Steam)
    Razor 2: Hidden Skies (Steam)

Minimum of $4 – The above and:
    Space Empires IV: Deluxe (steam)
    Battle Mages (DRM-free)
    World Rally Racing Championship (DRM-free)
    Bad Rats: Rats Revenge (Steam)

Minimum of $6 – The above and:
    Disciples II: Rise of the Elves (Steam)
    Puzzle Kingdoms (Steam)
    Ninja Blade (DRM-free)
    SBK X: Superbike World Championship (DRM-free)
    And “awesome indie music and extra goodies) to unlock later in the sale.

$4 and $6 are “beat the average” price points and will probably go up over time.

23. Jupiah says:

Wait, isn’t Sonic Generations a Steamworks game? So why is Amazon downloading a 8 gig file instead of just giving me a game code for steam?

24. cptgone says:

yay for discounts! i’ve been wanting to play Football Manager eversince i got my 1st PC in 1995, but i wasn’t sure i’d like it, cause i’m no sucker for soccer.
    bought FM2012 yesterday and today, i’m sleepy eyed as a consequence ;)

25. tossrStu says:

Lewie posted this crazy-cheap deal on Twitter this morning:

Crusader Kings II, Magicka Collection, Magicka: The Stars Are Left DLC, Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter, Swords of the Star [Complete Collection] & Victoria II for £8

26. pistolhamster says:

The Civ V at -75% sale is off now. Instead you can preorder the Gods and Kings expansion due out in late june.

It’s around 22 £ with 10% discount on GamersGate and Steam. However, the disc-y version is a real bargain on Amazon.co.uk at a mere 13 £. It will be delivered later than the download of course. But that is the crazy price of keeping physical goods alive in a download world.
    I ordered two copies, for myself and a friend, to get free delivery.

Comment on this story