In Another Junkyard: The Other Brothers

By Adam Smith on May 28th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

I think The Other Brothers, soon to star in their own “family friendly adventure”, may be distant relatives of The Great Giana Sisters. I thought I’d written about the game before because I know for sure that I’ve watched the teaser trailer a few times and hoped that, despite the Mario connections, the game was going to be pointy and clicky rather than runny and jumpy. The footage just released to /The Indie Game Magazine suggests there will be no pointing or clicking at all, which makes me sad, but perhaps you enjoy having handsome lip furniture, and jumping up and down while being assaulted by giant rats in abandoned warehouses?

Jump, stomp, jump, stomp. Now look at this earlier trailer to see why I was interested in the first place.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dr I am a Doctor says:

The short brothe looks like Wario.

2. misterT0AST says:

I’m one of those people who don’t mind pixelated graphics.
    For some reason, though, chiptunes are really getting on my nerves. They’re ok in small doses to my ears, but I just can’t stand them as background theme in a whole game.

Also, they spelled “dont” without apostrophe. That also really really bothers me. Can’t they at LEAST spellcheck what they wrote? It’s their damn job!
    Even if I might be one of the last people on Earth to actually care for apostrophes.

• noodlecake says:

really, bad punctuation’s, bother’s you. doe’s it??

• Veav says:

Excuse me, I couldn’t help but notice your post on the sidebar. I’m going to stab you now. Terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

3. Navagon says:

Oh, this is a game? I thought it was a documentary on the hard lives of Italian plumbers.

AmateurScience says:

I’M AT THE JUNKYARD, WOOOOOOOO!

5. Totally heterosexual says:

Lovingly retro. Will look into it.

6. cafe says:

The first thing that came to my mind when seeing the first screen was “you can probably pick up that saw for solving a riddle”.

Wo had the idea to make this into a jump and run game… honestly I would have paid a lot of money for this if it was in the style of Sam & Max or Day of the Tentalce!

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Yeah, I understand it’s a designer’s decision, but I’m disappointed.

Hypocee says:

Zzzzz-snrk! Whawhe…Ah. So the trailer contains approximately two actual game events. The rest is running through vast areas of inert crates. That’s…interesting.

For some reason I’d recently rewatched the Cloudberry Kingdom trailer. Its first few seconds made this pretty funny.

8. SimianSquared says:

Hiya, I’m one of the developers of this game and we’re really pleased to see it on Rock, Paper Shotgun!

To answer a few questions… yes the retro lucasarts titles are some of the influences behind The Other Brothers. It’s really a celebration of everything retro, and it certainly is not all platforming! there’s great cut scenes in realtime (like DOTT) and more. Influences are taken from everywhere.

The video shown is just a quick alpha version footage of the platform action, there’s so much more to it that I wish I could reveal but I can’t. But rest assured the game will surprise you with non-platform stuff as well :-) As it says, it is just alpha footage… I hope you guys will love it though! :D

• Metonymy says:

The main sprites need to be redone. Larger features, the whole body needs to be in motion, not just the stick-legs. No, it doesn’t get a pass because that’s the character’s personality.

The enemies and open spaces are too large. The level design needs to be obstacle based, not travel based. If you’re going to ‘evoke’ mario, then running and jumping needs to be almost completely subsumed by whatever the characters are actually doing. Ie the player should not be thinking about jumping on enemies, they already know that part. They should be….you’re the designer, not me. I’m not getting paid for this.

• kleptonin says:

Whoa, whoa. Hey, ssh. It’s okay. Relax. Ssh. It’s going to be okay.

9. Delicious Narwhal says:

I do enjoy a good indie platformer.

10. Shazbut says:

Well it certainly looks beautiful

11. aukondk says:

The music took me right back to a Scrappy-doo platformer on the Atari ST. I sense some time ahead digging out an emulator, finally getting it to work and discovering the game is harder than I remember…

12. MythArcana says:

I was hoping it would be the Tater brothers. You know, Po and Dick.