The Guild Pre-Wars Continue

By Alec Meer on May 29th, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

Look at that purple staff. Snicker

There’s to be another beta weekend for Guild Wars 2, the MMO that resolutely refuses to launch. Which means, once again, I won’t be able to play the thing due to weekend plans. Specifically in this case, camping in Sherwood Forest and listening to indie bands. Can’t we have a beta weekday evening or two instead, please?

If you are around for the 8th to 10th of June, you should be able to hop onto a GW2 beta server presuming you’ve either pre-ordered or already managed to snag a beta account from somewhere. The good news of previous beta-barons is that characters from the first weekend haven’t been wiped, so this might be your chance to have a nose at some of the higher-level contentydoodledoo.

As for what’s different from the first weekend, an Arenanet blog post offers this :

“We’ve made great strides toward resolving many of the issues you’ve helped us identify. These include party movement into overflow servers, chat functionality, key bindings, server stability, performance, and many more that we will detail in the near future.”

Well, next weekend is quite near as futures get, so they’d better get a move on.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. aliksy says:

What is that in the screenshot?

Also: Yay gw2.

2. Phantoon says:

How the hells would anyone have made it to 35? I grinded beyond the current content and got to 26.

• Wreckdum says:

You can’t grind beyond the current content. The game dynamically scales you down. I was level 25 in the level 8 starter area getting full experience except I got busted down to level 8.

Technically you could grind 1-80 in the first zone if you wanted to. (Would be boring as shit but someone will probably do it.)

• jrodman says:

Too bad we can’t be automatically scaled up as well, and then in engage in duels on the border.

3. Chris D says:

My hopes for a June/July release are looking a touch optimistic, sadly.

4. trjp says:

All these rumours of a release in late June are obviously cobblers – I’m actually thinking that we’re looking at August or later for this now.

I actually think that when you start asking people to pay for your game, you should tell them when they’ll be able to play it. It’s all fine and well saying “it will be done when it’s done” but you don’t get paid for that shit – you need to DELIVER it first.

All this pre-purchase shit is tiring – either admit you’re begging (Kickstarter) or offer a date…

• Wreckdum says:

I’m betting later than August like winter holiday season. They haven’t even shown a playable Sylvari or Asura or their zones… Which leads me to believe it’s because they’re not done making them.

• Vorphalack says:

Yes they have, PC gamer covered the Azura zone last month.

• sneetch says:

The Asura and Sylvari were also playable at some earlier trade events. Pax 2011 I think.

• Wreckdum says:

Then I’m curious why they weren’t in these beta weekend events. They are definitely still doing work on them because Felicia Day who voices the main Asura character posted that she was in the booth doing voice work on the GW2 twitter page a few weeks ago. So the plot is definitely not finished yet. PC Gamer probably got to play with a bunch of filler art and text in their playthrough.

• Nick says:

Pure assumption here, but I think its probably because they want to limit feedback to certain areas to start with (not least because the other areas probably only have sections that are fully voiced and “ready”) so they could focus on improving those areas based on the large scale feedback and not have every possible aspect of the game to look over.

• sneetch says:

They’re definitely still working on the voices and the cutscenes throughout the game, they replaced a bunch of the teenage models in the human storyline between the last two beta weekend events with older ones (the voice for the old lady alchemist fitted a lot better when she didn’t look like she was 19).

They may just want us all playing in the same few areas to see how the game performs and how their events scale with large player numbers.

• Chris D says:

“It’s all fine and well saying “it will be done when it’s done” but you don’t get paid for that shit – you need to DELIVER it first.”

Given the number of pre-orders, actually they do get paid for that shit.

On the release date I suspect we’re looking at October/November at this point just based on the fact that I’d expect beta events to be more frequent closer to release and also I’d expect them to announce the date a couple of months in advance. On the other hand I’ve never produced an MMO so what do I know?

• trjp says:

It’s amazing to watch people scrabbing to hand-over £50 to play in a few beta weekends (which would traditionally have been free).

People are, essentially, paying to be guinea pigs – something you used to get to do for free (and in return you got to check-out the game and potentially save yourself from buying a dud).

It’s bonkers – everyone who’s handed-over money needs their head checking – you’re paying for a demo, in effect – something I assume you’d whine about if it was just a bit more obvious…

• Runs With Foxes says:

Actually they’re paying for the full game. It’s just not out yet. It’s not like they need to pay any more money later. The concept of pre-purchasing is nothing new, and many people pre-pay for games they haven’t played yet. And this one’s been playable at conventions for a couple of years already, so a lot of people have had access to it.

• trjp says:

Actually, I cannot think of many games where people paid the full-price without knowing when they’d get the final game.

Diablo III for people who went down the 12-months WoW subs route

Some of the recent Kickstarter stuff

and… ????

Normally, pre-orders are a deposit only – or even a promise to pay (card charged on despatch) – wheras this is asking for 50 quid with no actual promised delivery date – has ANY other game actually done anything like that??

• Struckd says:

i agree with Runs, its not like people had no idea what they were paying for…i pre-pruchased cause i knew i would be playing the game…why? well before evening announcing that you were able to prepurchase they had quite a few demos in quite a few conventions, which made shit loads of videos, and there was i think 2 press beta weekend…which again lead to many videos and articles praising the game…

they have released alot of information about the game already, the content, the lore, the mechanics, i have prepurchased a game for much less information…and still not get access to beta OR a head start…there have been some people who have whined, but anyone with even a slight interest in the game and find an abundance of stuff that would literally make the choice for you

• Lightbulb says:

I reply to your post with:

“and… ????”

Just because something doesn’t happen often is not a reason why it should not happen.

If it becomes a more common trend – no one is forcing you to pay. But I don’t think many games would justify full price pre-orders…

• ScubaMonster says:

I didn’t pre-pay just to play in beta. I pre-paid because I had faith in the game and will buy it on release anyway. Why not pay now and get in for free anyway?

Yeah I know companies use pre-purchases as beta invites, but the days of free stuff are quickly disappearing. I remember when FPS maps were free.

• sneetch says:

Well, I’m not paying for a demo, I’m paying for the full game. As for why I’m paying for it now, well I’m paying for it now for the ability to beta-test* it, to get a few days early access when it releases and some random tat that we’ll get for pre-purchasing that I can’t really remember, a ring or something.

I’ve done the same with other games, not full price ones but any alpha funded game I bought, Minecraft, Xenonauts, Project Zomboid, Intersteller Marines and so on. They are/were all gambles, but GW2 is a sure thing for me. Giving the money now or later doesn’t really matter to me, I’ve been eagerly awaiting this game since I first started seeing videos of it, I knew I’d enjoy it and the first BWE just proved that.

I’m looking forward to more but I do agree that the lack of a release date is shitty at this time. I grumbled a bit but it wasn’t a deal breaker.

* That is, I get to play it before it releases, I’m not one of those who pretend that beta testing is some sacred and noble trust. I file bug reports, give feedback but I’m there to play mostly.

• SketchyGalore says:

I’d agree if this was the usual “pay for our dem… er… I mean… ‘beta test’…” style set-up, but I genuinely like how they’re doing this. It feels like a sneak-peek, which is sort of worth the money in itself, but it also feels like they’re actually testing things out. They’re accepting feedback, making changes, evolving and developing live. It’s kind of fun to be there to see all that take shape.

Plus, the game is a ridiculous amount of fun, which is kind of… weird for the genre. Typically the futility of an MMO beta would kill my interest, since those games are primarily about progression, but in this case I feel more interested in just playing and having fun. It’s nice to see MMOs swinging around in that direction instead of playing out like second jobs.

• Lightbulb says:

You’re looking at it backwards. You’re not paying for a demo, you’re paying for the game. The game will not be discounted soon after launch with the GW business model. There will be no low priced games to lure people in the pay subs. You may be able to get the game from other stores cheaper than £50 but I doubt it will be a lot cheaper.

So, the Game on release will be £50. I will buy the game on release. Why? Everyone says how great the game is and I am a big GW1 fan.

So starting from the premise that I will spend £50 day one this lead logically to paying £50 now to play the beta. This must be better value as I get to play the game sooner. I have fun on the beta weekends for no extra cost. The only down side is that I have to pay now not in a few months but that’s no big deal.

Ok maybe I could order the game from Play for £35 but at the end of the day I don’t care about £15 in the grand scheme of things.

• trjp says:

GW was discounted to hell and back – I have 3 of the 4 parts of it (2 of them are Collectors Editions) and didn’t pay over £8 for any of them!!

It seems they intend to release a ‘boxed’ version of GW2 (it’s pre-orderable in a few places) – and that will mean it will be discounted sooner or later (retailers have margins and will always use them to drive business).

NCSoft themselves did deals on digital keys for GW too – I don’t see why this will be any different so stop kidding yourself that you’re not paying a premium for a demo and 3 days of play (on probably knackered servers!!) :)

• Trith says:

They did this for the first guild wars 7 years ago.

• ScubaMonster says:

And when they have to push the release date back (possibly more than once) people will bitch up a storm. It’s a lose lose situation. At least this way they aren’t giving false hopes and promises.

Come now, you’re posting this on the internet. You know people will never be happy no matter what. A picture of a crying infant would sum up the entire internet community.

• KaelWolfcry says:

An infant crying in front of a gigantic ice cream sundae.

There, now it’s correct. :)

• sneetch says:

I’d just like to clarify: there’s nothing really wrong with the sundae that might cause the infant to cry, right?

• TsunamiWombat says:

Given that it’s the internet, the banana’s may or may not be penis’s

5. Byron_Black says:

There was the stress test after the first beta weekend that was a “beta weekday evening” where you could play for 7 hours.

6. Dances to Podcasts says:

Sometimes I suspect they’re waiting for Blizzard to announce a date for Pandaria. Sometimes I suspect it’s the other way around. Sometimes I suspect it’s both.

• Chalky says:

With no sylvari or asura playable in this new beta, it seems that the game is still pretty far from being finished (unless they’re never going to show us these races until after release)

• Lightbulb says:

I can think of some possible reasons:

1) They aren’t sure these races will be that popular and so will run a beta event with only these races to ensure high traffic – leading to better test results
        2) They don’t want to spoil the whole game so when it launches people aren’t bored of all of the starter areas
        3) They want higher traffic in the other areas initially but will open up the others later.

7. SketchyGalore says:

Hey-hey! I was just saying “dang I want another GW2 weekend” yesterday! I’m sure as the year goes on I’m going to be pulling my hair out over an official release, but for now, I’ll be happy just to spend another weekend with a sword-wielding ranger… Oh, if you haven’t done that yet… do it. Thank me later.

• apocraphyn says:

Two-handed sword, I take it? Definitely my favourite way of playing Ranger. Very fun.

On that same note, it was hilarious how many people were making threads on the beta forums saying stuff such as “RAYNGERS SHUDNT BE YUSING TOO HANDAD SORRDS, ONLI BOWZ!11!” and “RAINGURZ MUST HAFF RIFULLZ!!!”

• Screwie says:

I really enjoyed using an axe-and-torch ranger, myself. Drop a bonfire or a healing spring and then throw a clutch of axes through it = funtimes.

• ElderJymm says:

The sword / torch combo is also a good choice, the Ranger Aragorn did quite well with it fighting Nazgul at Weathertop. :)

8. abandonhope says:

As someone who generally dislikes MMORPGs and got bored of GW rather quickly, I’ve gotta say GW2 looks pretty good.

9. Nick says:

Oh good, the shakes were starting to get unbearable.

10. Rudel says:

08./09. of June? I know what I will do at the time and for the three weeks after that date – grab a lot of beer and watch Football.

• aircool says:

The summer of sport; Cricket, football and wimmin’s hockey :)

• sneetch says:

Fooootbawl? Futbowel? Footbal?

No, you’ve lost me. I know not of this “fowtbarl” of which you speak.

11. aircool says:

8th of June? That almost gives me enough time to download the client.

12. zergrush says:

The first beta weekend was marked by my disappointment with this new Mesmer. Can’t believe they managed to make something so boring and completely unlike the awesome GW1 class, as a Mesmer player it saddened me to try it in GW2.

But on the bright side, Engineers are pretty fun.

13. MiKHEILL says:

Damn, exam season down under..

14. Devan says:

“presuming you’ve either pre-ordered or already managed to snag a beta account from somewhere.”

Where do these “beta accounts” come from? Do pre-orders get an extra beta key to give to friends, or are they obtained through some kind of voodoo?