CD Projekt Red’s New RPG: Cyberpunk

By Jim Rossignol on May 30th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

EXCITING UPDATE: It’s a AAA RPG of Cyberpunk, the pen and paper RPG. It is being made by Witcher and Witcher 2 veterans. They’re saying stuff like “Advanced RPG mechanics” and “mature content”. Customisable characters, different classes. Lots of weapons. Non-linear. “Cutting edge looking game”. And also “not a game for everybody, for mature audiences.”

Cyberpunk RPG’s creator Mike Pondsmith is there, talking about it: “I love Bladerunner, I love that kind of future.” Yeah. That’s the stuff.

ORIGINAL STORY: The mystery sci-fi game from The Witcher devs CD Projekt Red is about to be announced over here. I’ll get more details up here as they arrive. All we have so far is the teaser image of a punk with techno-glasses and a gun (above) and the knowledge that it will be some kind of cyberpunkian thing.

__________________

« | »

1. SirKicksalot says:

I’m monitoring for Wizardry’s input on this.

• Aedrill says:

Good one. He’ll probably write about some old, boring game with no story but with turn-based combat and say that he wonders if they could beat this masterpiece.

• AlwaysRight says:

He’s too busy playing Diablo 3.

2. wodin says:

At last a RPG to look forward to.

3. Shagy says:

TRIPLE SHWING!!!!!!!!

4. Lowfyr says:

First Shadowrun Returns under development by the Shadowrun inventor and now CD Project RED with Cyberpunk 2020? Did I die and go to heaven?

5. Guhndahb says:

Oh yeah! I’m super excited about this!

6. ShootyFace says:

Best news I’ve read all day!

7. Tom OBedlam says:

Holy shit storm. It’s not just a cyperpunk game, it’s a game based on Cyberpunk 2020 AND Pondsmith is helping with writing! Oh my fuck, I’ve wanted this game since I was 13. Seriously, that was the first pnp rpg I ever played. Fuck, this is the best news possible. If you’d asked me who I’d want to do Cyberpunk 2020, I’d have said CPR. Fucking yes!

8. Wizlah says:

This news can only be considered great. Worth it for the nostalgia hit in my brain – the minute I saw Cyberpunk RPG I totally flashed back to some black and White rpg box art from the late 80s.

Glad to see they’re going to try out different classes. Hope the system doesn’t lean too heavily on combat and has skill checks and the like. Presume it might if they’re working with an rpg as their source material.

9. Stevostin says:

Somehow I always failed to keep interest in any CDProjekt RPG (I bought both, but…) which is pretty rare – I finish most of the thing I buy. That being said I admit they have some serious potential. I hope this one will be the one for me. Getting out of the commitment to books may help. I also pray for first person view, especially if there’s shooting. TPV for shooting is nearly allways a “no go” for me.

• Emeraude says:

Same for me. Their games are always promising, they do so many things right… yet in the end I find they miss the mark and end up unsatisfying overall.

So here’s to hoping this game will be their masterpiece.

• Hug_dealer says:

I’m curious what you guys dislike about their previous games?

They have created some of the best stories and characters out there, and have weaved a deep involved plot that evolves based on your actions, and lacks the plotholes of other stories. The witcher 2 requires atleast 2 playthroughs in order to get the full story. Things that were left unanswered in one playthrough, are answered if you go down the other route. Honestly there is no other game out there that rivals the depth of story of the witcher 2, and the NPCs you meet, and the actions you take. I challenge anyone to find a game that does as much.

Graphics wise, the game is a masterpiece also. From the high resolution of them, to the small details used to build a convincing world for you to explore. It is all done with a level of quality not seen in most games.

Combat. That is the low point of the game, but at the same time, it is also better than most other action games available. The sheer amount of combat animations that are all beautifully animated and keep in a realistic fashion help to achieve a symphony of death as you lash out at your foes. I prefer turn based and things like that, but the beauty of the animations of characters swordplay was amazing. They didnt need big special effects or over the top animations to hide anything. All attacks blend smoothly with each other, the amazing smooth animation of when you target an enemy behind you and he does a stab backward rather than turning and doing the usual swing is a step beyond.

Just watch some of the excellent animations.

I truly am curious of the complaints against W2. Just because i love it doesnt mean everyone does. My only dislike is the combat, but the animations more than make up for it for me, along with everything else.

• LionsPhil says:

Same old same old fantasy blah, for my part. Yes, I know, based on a book, not actually 100% Tolkien rip-off, but that doesn’t really change that I don’t find the setting interesting.

So doing something with cyberpunk is quite promising.

(Also that whole woo-ing and trading card thing was pure social pariah awfulness, but hopefully won’t be reappearing. And from what I remember the combat was a bit uninteresting but we can presumably expect a shake-up there wth the addition of GUNS.)

• Hug_dealer says:

Actually the world is totally not the typical fantasy world. It is much more brutal and dark. More Conan than Lotro.

The other things you mentioned are from The witcher 1, part 2 is entirely different. Everything about 2 is different.

• wodin says:

Hmmm..if you think the books The Witcher is base don are anywhere near Tolkien then it’s bloody obvious you haven’t read them. Dark, grim, Polish folk tales more like. As close to Tolkien as Moorcock books.

• LionsPhil says:

I said “not”, guys. Not Tolkien rip-off.

Swords and mud-farmers just isn’t my preference of setting, no matter the colour of your orcs.

• Hug_dealer says:

thats not what you had written first.

Also. No such things as orcs in the witcher world.

10. Sparkasaurusmex says:

I was ready to be upset that it wasn’t Witcher 3, but honestly I’d rather have this.

11. Maldomel says:

Holy cyberdoozles! This is good news!

12. Petethegoat says:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

13. Mungrul says:

Oh wow, the Cyberpunk RPG was one of the mainstays in my group of friends. We started with original Redbox D&D, tried a little GURPS, mixed the universes of Runequest and the similarly ruled Stormbringer, played a shedload of Living Steel and Warhammer FRP and graduated to Shadowrun and Cyberpunk. While I have a hard time remembering my Shadowrun characters, I have loving memories of my full-on psychotic clown from Cyberpunk, Brian The Fractured. Our GM would attempt to make ever more complicated Brian-proof adventures, only for him to do something completely unexpected and completely break the thread of the adventure every time, and we had such fun with it.
    Hell, Chris, our Cyberpunk GM, was probably my favourite GM I ever had.
    He even experimented with P&P RPG PvP in a very inventive way, where one of our players became the leader of a corporation, and without the knowledge of another friend, implanted him with a cortex bomb and forced him to do loads of shit :D
    That ended as I recall with the guy with the cortex bomb getting close enough to the other guy and killing them both at the same time.

Don’t get the wrong impression mind you, I absolutely adored Shadowrun, and being a massive Queensryche fan, reading the original rulebook gave me a big kick, as a lot of their artists would decorate graffiti’d walls with the Queensryche logo.

But yeah, Cyberpunk holds a very special place in my heart.

14. JohnnyMaverik says:

Cyberpunk <3 ^_^

15. Apolloin says:

Oh wow! Surely this is too good for them not to fuck it up egregiously in some way or another.

Don’t care, though, 0 Day purchase.

16. Evil Star says:

BEST NEWS EVER…YEAAAHHH!!!

17. Dawngreeter says:

Have you ever seen the sunlight
    Screaming fast and mean and low
    Get yourself illuminated
    Get yourself that cyber glow

Made of steel and hard emotions
    Give my love and face the day
    In your face and here to party
    Never gonna fade away

18. Contrafibularity says:

I’ll just leave this here then..

PLEASE HAVE DEUS EX 1 TYPE HYBRID-TWITCH&SKILL-AIMING OR AN OPTION TO THAT EFFECT

19. Solidstate89 says:

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY

20. Nameless1 says:

TAKE MY MONEY!

21. PopeJamal says:

I’m actually pretty excited to see this. Between the general awesomeness that is CD Projekt and GOG.com, I think someone is trying to woo me away from Valve as being my favorite Developer/Digital Distributor combo.

22. Gasmask Hero says:

Now someone needs to come up with an effective Paranoia CRPG. Not even that, just make it a ‘shooter with benefits’, which may suit Paranoia way more, and my teenaged dreams will be complete.

• LionsPhil says:

Much as I love Paranoia, I’m not sure how well a game that’s largely about getting away with weasely bastardry while everyone tries to do the same to you would translate to having the GM (and other troubleshooters?) replaced with an actual boring old real-world computer.

• theleif says:

I was just about to post this. I would be a very happy puppy if, let’s say Double Fine decided to make a game based on it. It does not even have to be an RPG.
      I think Shiny Entertainment of old (Giants, Sacrifice) should have done it. Why didn’t they? Look, now you made me all upset.
      You cyberpunks.

23. Noodlefighter says:

Shit just got real :DDDDD

24. E_FD says:

Those are sure some silly-looking glasses we’ll be wearing eight years from now.

25. kud13 says:

Well, daymn

This has been a fantastic year.
    Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter, and a Cyberpunk RPG by CDPRed.

the awesome…. it’s just way too much.,

26. Supahewok says:

Looking over the comments, the love and enthusiasm people are showing for CD Projeckt seems remarkably similar to what people had for Bioware pre-2009.

Alas, how times change…

Hopefully this is not indicative of the future.

• pilouuuu says:

That’s really sad… Bioware is a company that I want to love so much, but they’ve been constantly letting us down lately…

27. brkl says:

Jesus that sounds good. Even the original RPG system is really good.

28. wodin says:

I would prefer it Isometric with turn based combat though…

• roryok says:

imagine if there was an isometric mode you could just switch on – kind of like going old-school in Monkey Island enhanced edition

29. LostViking says:

YES!!! Cyberpunk and CD Project Red is a match made in heaven!

This is an insta-preorder if ever there was one :)

30. orient says:

CD Projekt Red + Neuromancer = my dream game. And it’s going to happen. Wow.

31. Sardukar says:

Bring me my smart-chipped Sternmeyer. And low-imp Interface plugs. And skinweave. Pain Editors! Skullplate, tech-hair, Mr. Studd and Big-Rip equipped cyber-arm with built-in micro-missile launcher!

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

I first read “Big Rig equipped”, man that would be a terrible arm

32. Kadayi says:

Interested, but I’d like to see some working footage soon. Also I’m hoping in the looks department the game will be innovative rather than derivative. The whole mirrorshades/mohawk look got real tired a long time back. A cyberpunk future where everyone doesn’t look like Sigue Sigue Sputnik rejects would be nice.

33. reishid says:

From sorceress,elven,succubus,and tavern wench sex to sexbot 9000 loving.

34. Bweahns says:

The dude in the picture looks like the violinist from Eurovisoin a couple of years ago. The dude who performed alongside Epic Sax Guy.

35. rustybroomhandle says:

CD Projekt are like the HBO of gaming. They put out good stuff, but think that boobies is mature content.

• roryok says:

I prefer the swearing. Can’t watch non-swearing cop shows after The Wire. They just seem so fake.

• Hug_dealer says:

Really, cause the boobies arent what made the witcher 2 so interesting. It was the involved plot. The death and deceit coming from every corner. Racism, rape, and other subjects that arent for the family.

I honestly think that alot of people have never even played the witcher 2, don’t know what mature content means, and simply heard that it had boobies and immediately think hurdurrrr thats really mature.

36. MadTinkerer says:

Man, between the kajillion D&D spinoffs, the kajillion Warhammer & WH40k spinoffs, Magic: The Gathering on Steam, Shadowrun, Champions, Traveler, the White Wolf MMO that might eventually be completed, and now Cyberpunk, it’s a crying shame that Deadlands hasn’t got a proper video game spinoff yet.

No GURPS game I understand, because GURPS isn’t a setting in itself. But Deadlands is!

37. Urfin says:

Yeah baby, more wires in ze skull! Genuine good news.

38. Atrak says:

brilliant, of course multiple classes might be difficult to implement depending on which ones they allow.. i’d be interested to see if they let you play as a media, or rockerboy etc. Still hopes are high and staying there for now.