Magicka: Other Side Of The Coin Landing In June

By Nathan Grayson on May 30th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

Curse dirt-poor farmers and their perplexing mastery of laser-stopping wooden fence technology!

Magicka – much like a vampire or reality television – is seemingly incapable of death. Somewhat brilliantly, it’s traversed locations as far flung as Cthulhu’s stomping grounds and, er, Vietnam and lived to tell the incredibly silly tale. And now, it’s letting you play as a villain, because how else do you impress people after exploring the two least likely settings possible? So this time around, you’re Alucart the vampire, and your goal is to make a bunch of fantasy cliches hate each other. “But how,” you’re probably wondering, probing the deepest dungeons of your brain only to find cobwebs, bats, and repressed memories. Well, er, you know: with magic. Like it says in the title. See for yourself after the break.

So then, it was no noir trailer, but it looks like more Magicka, and I’m pretty OK with that. It’s now officially slated for a June 14th release, too, so you’ll be feeling bad about feeling good about being good at being bad in just a couple weeks. Which, I think, basically means “setting everything on fire.”

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. KeyboardGato says:

cool

2. disperse says:

More Magicka is always good. Me and my co-op partner got much enjoyment out of the Stars are Left expansion. I’m looking forward to this.

3. Kent says:

Okay, fuck the rent. I gotta make my annual tribute to Arrowhead.

4. Baines says:

Did Magicka ever fix its various problems, like game crashing, lack of checkpoints, and the like?

I’ve considered getting it, but it was a mess after release. And now it is hard to judge, because I don’t know if people who complain about it are complaining about how it was or how it still is.

• D says:

Didn’t have any trouble with it, but I haven’t played since vietnam.

• Gnoupi says:

Most of the problems from release have been fixed. You can still get the occasional crash to desktop, but it’s quite rare. It still demands a quite large bandwidth to be the host of a game, though less than at the release.

• povu says:

Yeah it has improved in patches. For one, the game can be resumed at checkpoints now so you don’t have to restart the entire chapter if you quit halfway through.

Also on single player you get an extra life so if you die it’s not instant game over.

• Buttless Boy says:

Me and a friend tried to play co-op a couple months back, I don’t think the game’s been patched since. We made it all the way to the end boss before ragequitting, simultaneously uninstalling, and vowing never to play the horrible, buggy mess again.

It’s a shame, it seems like it’d be a great game if it wasn’t always freezing, dropping players, locking people in place, or breaking in other, slightly less horrible ways. It seems like some people are able to play it, but neither me, my friend, or any of our mutual Steam buddies has ever managed to complete a co-op run due to bugs and general wonkiness.

5. deadly.by.design says:

I’m a sucker for anything Magicka, but I’m pretty sure I never beat the end boss to the Cthulu DLC. Then again, we only bothered to try once…

QRQRASE+shift+lmouse

• Stephen Roberts says:

I found QR-R-A-S-E a teensy bit better because of the addtional cold. Also, swop Arcnae for Life with great undead results! (But you probably already knew that).

• max_1111 says:

Oh good, i’m glad i’m not the only one who’s been having problems with him…
      I think i got him down to about 1/10 of his health after a couple hours of attempts when i finally decided F-it (for now).

I do plan to revisit it at some point though.

6. felisc says:

tracula … ? huh.
    magicka really makes me wish my friends would play video games. stupid friends.

7. aliksy says:

Magicka is probably one of my favorite games of late. I love the magic system. Screw cool downs, screw mana limits. The only limit is my ability to hit buttons and not blow myself up!

edit to add: The other DLC was rather short, though. Any idea if this will be more substantial?

• Skabooga says:

The magic system is a stroke of genius. I never realized how heavy were the shackles other games have imposed on me until they were taken away. It even has a random spell screw up chance! (Well, not random so much as how many mistakes you make while trying to type out your spell.)

• Urthman says:

Yeah, I can’t think of anything that comes remotely close to capturing the feeling of a novice wizard dabbling in things too difficult and too dangerous.

Having to learn lots of nonsense words and then being forced to type them quickly, with terrible results if you screw it up, feels exactly like spellcasting should feel.

8. bear912 says:

The funny thing is, you’ll be killing the exact same group of people. Namely everyone.

This of course means I’ll buy it as soon as it comes out.

Also, I do believe that the music in that trailer is an arrangement of Magicka’s theme played backwards. Can anyone confirm?

9. MadTinkerer says:

“Plot to kill Vlad”? What? Why? It’s not like he’s secretly a vampire or anything weird like that!

10. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Oh heck yeah! I hope they keep making these games forever.

Comment on this story