Planetside 2: A Gallery Of MAX, Comparisons, Tanks

By Jim Rossignol on May 30th, 2012 at 7:00 pm.

Hello, Internet. I’ve gathered up all the recent images from Planetside 2 and made a gallery of them for you. Look, there are the new MAX suits! A a tank, and some before-and-after shots showing the original game’s assets compared to now. Click to make large, of course.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. doeke says:

That shiny metal ass.

2. Cooper says:

Stop it! This is unfair. I just want to play it.

Please? Please can I just play it?

Please? Please.

Please?

3. AmateurScience says:

I can’t wait for this. I missed out on the original but it was alwways one of those games I watched with interest from afar. Definitely going to take the plunge on this one.

• Brun says:

I’m the same way. Planetside’s focus on large-scale combat (both at a strategic and tactical level) always intrigued me.

4. bit.bat says:

Too much purple.

5. Mr. Mister says:

Never saw a model with so much detail under its shoes.

6. Mistabashi says:

To be honest, none of the P2 art I’ve seen has impressed me at all. Not that it matters all that much, as it’s the scale and mechanics that make this interesting, but every screenshot/concept I’ve seen has left me a bit disappointed. Except perhaps the cockpit in the last video, but I do like me a good cockpit.

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Yeah, I have to agree with this. It’s not horrendous but with a reboot they could have updated the designs a little. It’s all still looking a bit… retro. And in a “ray-gun gothic” way, not in a “classical” way.

7. CaspianRoach says:

Before and after kinda implies that before comes first (read: the leftmost) and the after comes later (rightmost) so the comparison pics look a bit silly.

8. MadMatty says:

mmm Max┬┤s dont look that beefy, looks like theyre smaller with more vulnerable points. Vehicles look fine… its sort of generalistic sci-fi art – one could maybe wish for some more stand-out-ish pieces.

9. StranaMente says:

So, Planetside 1: vibrant colours, but less polygons. Planetside 2: everything is brownish, but more polygons.

• Dominic White says:

Things only look more brown in the Planetside 2 shots because they took all the example pictures on the same desert map. There’s still the old range of environments that there was in Planetside 1.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

They are strange promo shots. It looks like the gamma is turned way up or something. The lighting makes everything look washed out or faded. I’m sure with better contrast they would look less dull.

• Dominic White says:

It almost looks like they’re standing in a dusty desert instead of in a completely clean and unlit environment!

10. Arathain says:

I’m not going to be able to run this, am I?

11. Totally heterosexual says:

Dem women <3

12. aircool says:

Bagsy the Pounder.

13. Brosepholis says:

CRAB PEOPLE,
    CRAB PEOPLE,
    LOOK LIKE CRAB,
    TASTE LIKE PEOPLE

14. innociv says:

Holy hell
    I love how they female warriors actually look like female warriors.

No exposed midriff, no cleavage, no boob plate. I can’t even express how great this is.

I’m even more excited than every for this game. You know a developer is confident in their game when they don’t try to sell it to adolescents with sex.

15. frenz0rz says:

Thats it, I’m going NC. How could I NOT side with a MAX suit that badass.

16. Cytrom says:

The game’s gonna be amazing that for sure.. but i wouldn’t put some of those models in the spotlight.

17. Heliocentric says:

Vanu look worse. Ugh…

• Jorum says:

As a former Vanu player, I’m with you.
      The max suit just looks stupid really.

IMO the Vanu should have looked like the Terran Republic pics
      (and therefore the Terran Republic would have to look like something else, not sure what, maybe kinda sophisticated but boxy. Slightly gothic?)

• Colt45 says:

yeah, Vanu look is a bit on the wacky side this time around.

18. brulleks says:

Surely that last picture is of a cowardly decepticon running away?

It’s even got the decepticon badge on the back of its right leg.

19. Armante says:

Okay – so it’s time for a Noob question re P2.

I never played the original, but after reading the articles on RPS about the last stand and other awesome moments in gaming, I’m very interested in the potential of this one. The question is:

Which side do I choose, and why?

Discuss.

20. Xzi says:

I know there’s engineer, infantry, medic, infiltrator, and now MAX suits? Leaving one class to be revealed, right?

Still gotta decide which faction I’m going to join as well. Never played the first Planetside, although watching others play did appeal to me quite a bit. My favorite weapon type is probably a scoped semi-auto rifle with three-round burst capability.

God this game can’t enter beta fast enough. I’ve been on the edge of my seat ever since I entered my PC Gamer code for first access.

21. Nyst says:

Is it me or do the helmets from the original look better then the new ones?
    Speaking design wise of course, graphically everything looks better.

22. misterT0AST says:

The New Conglomerate footmen look “shanty”, ugly in a bad way. Nobody’ll side with them.

• Xzi says:

I don’t know about that. They look closer to real soldiers than the other two. Guerilla fighters. That will attract a lot of people.

23. killmachine says:

is it just me or do they need to put some more work into the human male models? they all look like female silhuouettes, except the max of course.

btw. the cynical brit aka totalbiscuit aka totalhalibut, look youtube, got exlusive alpha footage and got permission to exclusively continue the coverage on the alpha of planetside 2. he was a fan of the original and he’s probably the best person on the interweb to promote the game.

24. Zarunil says:

Please let this game not suck. Pretty please.

Comment on this story