Perpetuum Gazes On Its “Gamma Frontier”

By Jim Rossignol on May 31st, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

Build this!
One of the issues that faced sandbox robot MMO Perpetuum was the frequent accusation that its world was simply too small. That’s one of a number of issues being addressed in a major patch tomorrow, which constitutes an expansion called Gamma Frontier. Aside from vastly expanding its territory, with twenty-four new islands (there are currently twelve), the game will be introducing player-built structures and bases, allowing players to terraform landscapes, erect base structures, and fortifying them with defences such as walls and turrets. Along with these features, there’ll also be fixes to a number of in-game issues, a reworking of the production and resource systems, and a new landscape rendering engine. Those robots are going to have a lot more space to roam, and plenty more tools to make use of it.

Gamma Frontier is set to go live tomorrow night. I’ll be intrigued to see how it changes the game.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. aliksy says:

I have never even heard of this game. Sounds.. interesting, I guess?

• PodX140 says:

There have been quite a few diaries on this game about the RPS corp (clan/guild). I’m eager to hear if we’ll get an update about it considering now it should be much easier to get an island to themselves.

2. jellydonut says:

I hope maybe they start differentiating themselves from EVE Online at some point.

DUST 514 will have mechs, with Mech Commander-like gameplay rather than MMO gameplay, so the hourglass is running..

3. Blackcompany says:

As a new EVE online player, I find myself curious as to how the games compare. From everyone’s standpoint this game is ‘EVE with Robots.’ (Not that I am knocking that, really; in this age of endless WoW clones, that’s a pretty good template for an MMO).

Of course I have never played Perpetuum. So I am not of course one to judge. Rather, I am curious. -Is combat in Perpetuum more of a twitch based system? Or does it still feature EVE’s targeting and auto locking?

-Are Mechs FPS-style fast and difficult to target and hit, or do they move slowly, making the game more of a chess match of buffs and counter-measures as in EVE?

- How open is it; does it feature “High Sec” areas like EVE, or is it out and out PVP and resource wars as soon as you are out of the front gate, so to speak?

-Is it more loner friendly (many part of EVE are, in fact, solo friendly, even low/null sec with the right skills) or does Perpetuum focus more on teams and group play?

Just some things I wonder about what seems an excellent game.

• wcanyon says:

The combat is similar to Eve, but one big difference: terrain. You can use terrain to your advantage.

• Reefpirate says:

It’s been some time since I’ve played Perpetuum… But it’s not a twitch shooter, although you use WASD to move your mech around. There’s freedom of movement like that, but it moves almost at the same kind of pace as EVE where you watch targets on your overview and play around with their ranges at long distance, and buff/debuff etc. It can get a little twitchy if you get up close and are dancing around terrain, etc.

There are ‘low-sec’ islands where PvP is very-few-holds-barred, and when your mech pops you will lose the whole thing plus equipment (some of it turns into loot).

The UI is very very EVE ‘inspired’ and the markets and mechs feel very similar to EVEs markets and ships.

When I played it was less loner friendly than EVE, but there are missions you can run. If you want to survive for any length of time on the Beta islands (low-sec), you will need friends or a corporation to back you up. I suppose you could do some stealth missions, but there’s not a lot of duelling that happened when I was running around there.

• Blackcompany says:

Thanks for the info. I like that it is less twitch based and more focused on the chess type matches. EVE has this going for it, as well. Not a fast clicker and I always hated games with stats where the fastest twitch wins anyway. Never made any sense.

It is definitely an interesting concept. Glad to see another real sandbox out there. I shall play with EVE a bit longer and keep the Robots in mind. If the Black doesn’t work out for me perhaps I will give island hopping a try.

• Shaedys says:

A big thing this focuses on is positioning and a correct gang set up. Picking the right robot for the job with people who can coordinate makes you much more effective.

• Tom De Roeck says:

Yes, Shaedys, convince people to join STC for us. :D

Which begs the question: are you looking forward to the update? Or do you think itll do more bad than good?

• Shaedys says:

I’ve been looking foreword to it for awhile.

4. Iskariot says:

Never heard of it, or perhaps I ignored it immediately when I saw that it was another MMO.
    The game looks good though, with industrial environments and cool mechs and robots.
    If only it was an off-line single player game. MMO just is not my thing.

• frightlever says:

Never heard of it? There have been numerous articles about it. Damn fine articles. It’s not my cup of tea, but the articles are great. I’m sure you’re aware of the Eve articles – these articles are like that, but related to Perpetuum.

I’m not going to hate on you for being new, but if you’re going to comment, you need a thick skin and a ready wit.Or a thick skin, a ready wit, and an enchanted turtle shell. Or a ready wit, an enchanted turtle shell and magic pants. The point is… we’re all different.

5. frightlever says:

Hmm. Open world, unregulated MMO, learns what unregulated actually means once property takes a dive in value. I love these stories because of the numbers, while having zero interest in getting involved. Hey, that may be a recommendation to not get involved. If you ever see me posting about your MMO and linking to a spreadsheet… best bail out.

6. Tom De Roeck says:

I joined 2 articles ago, and I have been having increasing fun. I love the industry, love making spreadsheets or using them, and Ive started becoming increasingly better at supporting combat groups.

+1 to the update, atleast I gathered enough minerals and built enough stuff to last the first couple of weeks :D

7. drinniol says:

I wanted to play, signed up, downloaded the client, but it just called my computer names and made it cry.

8. Cvnk says:

I tried this briefly back in the beta and didn’t find much that interested me. I loved EVE when I played that a few years ago so maybe the main reason I didn’t like this game was because I was trying it alone. EVE is all about being in a corp/alliance so maybe it wasn’t fair to judge this game as a loner.

I do have to say that some of the new features described here sound intriguing. Terraforming and base building sound like natural expansions for this game’s setting.

9. porps says:

this game is so boring. even more boring than eve which i before would never have beleived. Wont somebody, somewhere make a good sci fi mmo? please?!

10. Torgen says:

Can’t wait to see if anyone can abuse the terraforming system to wall teleporters in at the bottom of a box of cliffs, with a winding exit to be traversed while Pelestial bots rain rocket death from above.

Comment on this story