Home Launches, Keeps Us Up At Night

By Nathan Grayson on June 1st, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

I do, however, hope the pixelated art style doesn't stop me from being able to tell what things, you know, are.

Given that I’m from the majestic, apparently spacious-sky-ed nation of Amercia, I should probably be sleeping right now. Alas, however, I face a dilemma: I really want to play Home. As in, right now. It’s freshly available for a pithy $2.00/£1.39, and – between a frantic, senses-strangling trailer and a fantastic fictional Twitter account – it absolutely nails the nauseating air of mystery that makes it impossible to look away from great horror flicks – even though you really, really want to.

So then, what’s with all this MRI business? What happened to the main character’s significant other? My brain is sitting in the front row of my skull, eagerly awaiting answers. It’s incredibly painful. But I’m also kind of a giant wuss, and scary things make me turn lights on. So then, to sleep or not to sleep – Home is the question. While I deliberate, here’s this part-live-action (they’re all the rage) launch trailer.

OK, I will now try to talk myself down in an attempt to get some sleep. So, let’s see here… ah! Well, for one, Home apparently “changes – subtly, almost imperceptibly – to reflect your perspective.” I mean, who wants that? Games should be about guns and linearity. Nothing else.

And also, the Twitter account suggests Home’s main character is having his brain ground into mush by a pretty serious medical issue. Off the top of my (at least, currently) ailment-free head, I can’t think of many games that have put the spotlight on that sort of truly frightening, day-to-day vulnerability. Maybe it’s just me, but the idea of a slowly, unavoidably fatal disease scares me way more than some dumb, probably punchable monster. It’s fear from within instead of fear from withou– I mean, er, that stuff’s depressing. Guns and linearity. Yeah.

Well, that didn’t work. I’m going to go play Home now. My body will soon hate me for a fright-fueled night of sleeplessness, but at least my electric company will always love me for the resulting gigantic bills.

, .

1. Dave Mongoose says:

No link to the game itself…?

For reference, it’s http://homehorror.com/

golem09 says:

I have not even finished Lone Survivor, now this comes along…

JB says:

Same here, plus I just got Amnesia in the bundle. What the hell am I doing to myself? =\

golem09 says:

You’re telling me, I bought Civ 4 AND 5 last week. That’s gonna take some time…

T4u3rs says:

This guys are amateurs. Remember how PROs do live-action stuff: http://youtu.be/zlRvYevvS00

:P

4. sgt. grumbles says:

♫ I ain’t afraid of no weed. ♪

5. sk2k says:

You can’t save. You have to play the game in one session. Also, this game needs an gamma slider, it’s too bright.

• Zyrocz says:

I just turned down the brightness on my screen, not that difficult.
      A save function on a one hour long game isn’t really necessary.

• Bonedwarf says:

Clearly you don’t have children. Or even a wife probably.

6. MythArcana says:

I’m beginning to think that RPS owns the largest hookah in the world. Checking Wiki now…

7. Torgen says:

“Maybe it’s just me, but the idea of a slowly, unavoidably fatal disease scares me way more than some dumb, probably punchable monster.”

You get used to it. That said, I think I’ll give this a pass.

8. Highstorm says:

But it was like noon-3pm in America when you posted this, right?

Confirmed: Nathan is a vampire.

9. ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

I’ve already glugged an imaginary 6-pack of Budweiser’s in respect of your quality article writings, Nathan.

But to find out you’re States-based and yet have (so far) avoided using the word ‘addicting’ in any RPS-ings is highly commendable, if not downright ‘awesome’.

Certainly worth downing at least a dozen-cheeseburgers-in-one as a celebration (the equivalent of half a U.S Big Mac, I do believe ;) )

• sgt. grumbles says:

Although I do imagine “paltry” was intended, and not “pithy”?

10. Zyrocz says:

Played through it once, shame that it lasted under one hour, but what can you expect to get for 2 dollars.
    I’m not into replaying games to see another story either.

The game itself was rather good though, but I feel that some parts of the story telling could have been better polished. There was one instance were the developer(s) assumed that I hadn’t discovered something yet, and therefore the text that came up didn’t match what I’d already done.
    I also feel that the character drew a conclusion without having discovered the facts necessary to do so.

All in all, I enjoyed the game.

11. Cryo says:

A perfect gift for that hypochondriac friend of yours!

12. Letti says:

No save system, and i’m stuck in the last house with a safe that cannot be opened and a house that cannot be left. Looking alls rooms for 1 hour already, Ragequit or not ragequit.

13. taalas says:

I was wondering: Does this have any “BOO” type horror effects or ist it athmospheric horror only?

If it’s a boo game I will pass because I tend to fall over on my chair…

14. ohfouroneone says:

So how similar to Lone Survivor is this?

15. Jerakal says:

It finally comes out and I realize that I forgot to buy the special edition. My grief is unending.