Legollum, Legothmog, Legolas: Lego LOTR Confirmed

By Adam Smith on June 1st, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

I always felt bad for you, Cave Troll. You were a captive victim of terrible circumstance.

This is no surprise but confirmation comes that Lego Lord of the Rings will be released in the Autumnal phase of 2012. I was quite disconcerted when the Joker started talking in a video for the next Lego Batman, which looks quite superb, but the trailer for Lego of That Ring goes even further, re-enacting scenes from the film and using the dialogue right in there. I’m not sure I like it and I hope it’s just for the trailer. I like the comedic and intentionally stripped back take on the source material the previous games have presented. Watch and see what you make of it all.

It’s also probably time for everyone to pitch in about what the next Lego game would be in an ideal world. Doctor Who always seems like a popular choice. I’m going to go with Game of Thrones, or possibly Mad Men. I’d take Tintin too.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. povu says:

I heard most of the Lego games are surprisingly good, but I haven’t played any except some really old ones (Lego Racers 1/2, Lego Island, Lego Rock Raiders). Any specific Lego games you guys would recommend?

• db1331 says:

I think Lego Batman is widely regarded as the best of the bunch, but I’ve only played the Star Wars trilogy on Wii. I couldn’t stand the controls and ugly graphics but for too long though. I’m currently waiting on a Lego bundle on Steam.

• Jackablade says:

Lego Batman is a divisive one. Personally, I’m on the “not as good as the games based on films” side of the fence, though it’s far from a bad game and better than the first iteration of Lego Indiana Jones. Of the games I’ve played, which is most of them at this point, Lego Harry Potter was the one that I thought did the formula the best.

• Donncha O Caoimh says:

Lego Star Wars Saga is excellent too, better than Batman IMO.

• Koozer says:

I would recommend playing LEGO Island, LEGO Racers, LEGO Rock Raiders and LEGO Creator for all eternity.

• The Colonel says:

I second this. Still the best Lego games. Although I wish there was a way of rigging Lego Creator to greatly increase the limit on the number of bricks that can be displayed at one time. So many half-invisible but incredible structures. I suppose we have minecraft now but it’s not the same, even with helicopter mods

• The Greatness says:

Lego Island was my childhood <3

• povu says:

Gotta love bringing the pizza to that certain someone after having built the helicopter…

• Devan says:

“Hi, I’m Bill Ding and you’re… BUILDING!”

“Well, I’d better get back to my practice. I don’t know why they call it ‘practice’; I’m already a doctor and don’t really need to practice. It’s kind of insulting really”

“They’re going to give me The Chair.
        and maybe even a lovely matching table!”

• Geen says:

It was my childhood too. <3

• Jake Albano says:

Oh man, what I wouldn’t give to have Lego Island on GOG.

• Jackablade says:

So were they genuinely good games like the Traveler’s Tales ones or just something to remember fondly from one’s childhood? I’d never even considered picking up a Lego game prior to the first Star Wars one.

• Didero says:

I wonder if those still work on modern computers…

The last time I tried playing Lego Island 2, the load times were so atrocious I couldn’t bring myself to play for very long. And for no good reason too, since it didn’t do much loading.

• Jason Moyer says:

Lego Star Wars 2 and the first Lego Indiana Jones were both great. I haven’t really cared much for the more recent ones, although the Harry Potter games are supposed to be really good.

• lord0o says:

I would like to recommend Lego Harry Potter 1-4 and 5-7, both are excellent. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, its one of the bests games. Lego Star Wars (dont know how many games of it) all of them, and Lego Batman (sagas). There’s 1 or 2 Lego Indiana Jones too, its one of the firsts.

salute!

• rockman29 says:

I personally hated all of the LEGO games. I thought I would like them, but they are just way too simple. I just didn’t get the appeal. I would’ve been happier with a more sandbox-ey or destructive feel, but I think they are targeting a particular audience who just wants the LEGO and the IP.

• mr.black says:

Yeah, I second Lego HP, first 4 years particularly. Brick manipulation is closest to in-universe magic, story is nice and whimsical, graphics have nice touches, as blurring, I’d say they’re better than Lego SW..

2. NathanH says:

Surely the only logical option for the next game is Lego RPS.

3. Chickenfeed says:

They talk? What the hell is this blasphemy?!

• StiLt3D says:

ixnay on the uckinfay egolay alkytay o_O

• RandomGameR says:

The talking kills the game for me entirely.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Yeah this is a horrible idea and I agree with Adam. I hope it’s just for the trailer.

• GreatGreyBeast says:

I actually like it better here than in Batman 2. The jokey dialogue in the Batman trailer accomplished nothing that the nonsense “mute” Legos didn’t, while literalizing the silliness in a way that could easily just get dumb. This LOTR one though seems to be taking line readings straight from the movie, which sortof distances the material in a way. Or at least it feels that way to me. It’s like, because I’m so familiar with the movie dialogue, it doesn’t sound like the Legos are really saying the words. Sean Bean and Ian McKellan are saying them, and the Legos are just mouthing along. Which is what would happen in the imagination of a child who loves the movies and is playing with the toys.

Still, I do like the mute Legos. I think this could work here, but I’m not sure it’s setting a great precedent.

• Jimbo says:

They should get a couple of squabbling siblings to voice all of the parts and sound effects, in ‘kids playing with toys’ manner.

“You shall not pass! KRSHHHH!”
        “Muuuuuum! She won’t let me pass!”

4. Fumarole says:

Lego Bladerunner.

5. StiLt3D says:

I vote for Pulp Fiction, Firefly or Debbie Does Dallas

• db1331 says:

Jesus. I just sat here thinking what Lego pieces they could use to recreate a money shot. I need to take a break from the internet.

6. db1331 says:

I took a stroll down the Lego isle at my local Target the other day, and I was surprised that they actually had some video game sets. They had some Mario Kart ones with various characters and their karts. I think I saw some Halo stuff too. That got me thinking about how awesome it would be to have some Lego offshoots of established game franchises. I would play the shit out of a Lego Zelda, or Resident Evil for example.

7. magnus says:

Chucklevision Lego
    Eraserhead Lego
    The Holy Mountain Lego
    Hausu Lego
    Aguirre Wrath Of God Lego

I’m probably on my own with this these.

8. MythArcana says:

I just threw up in my mouth.

If any good comes out of this, it will be the incentive to learn to read.

9. The Greatness says:

Lego Star Trek. Release to-scale Lego model of the Enterprise.

10. ThTa says:

Lego Unspecified RTS (Be that Starcraft, SupCom, or most preferable and logical of all: Warzone 2100)

11. ColOfNature says:

Lego Alien(s)

12. Jason Moyer says:

Lego Citizen Kane

13. povu says:

Lego Minecraft (Not to be confused with Minecraft Lego)

14. jimangi says:

I’ve been saying that they should make Lego Narnia for ages. It would make sense. It’s a family series, it can easily be made silly and there are always enough characters at a time that they could introduce four player co-op to the game (which would definitely help keep them fresh). Plus they could make Lego (sort of) Jesus, and who doesn’t want that?

15. lokimotive says:

Lego Pathologic

16. BaronVonsnakPak says:

Lego-Hammer 40,000.

Blocks for the Block God!

17. Unaco says:

LEGO Shakespeare.

18. rocketman71 says:

So much better than that abortion they’re calling Guardians of Middle Earth. I’m even happy it’s apparently not coming to PC.

19. misterT0AST says:

LEGO A Clockwork Orange.

20. i saw dasein says:

LEGO My Dinner with Andre

21. Greggh says:

THATS ONE BIG-ASS RING, MR. FRODO!!!

Sorry for shouting

22. Snuffy the Evil says:

LEGO Casablanca

23. JD Ogre says:

Ugh. Talking minifigs? No thanks. Unlike LEGO Star Wars II (can’t stand the prequels, so no LSW1 for me :P), LEGO Indiana Jones, and LEGO Batman, I’m definitely passing up on this and the DCU one.

24. Grobmotoriker says:

I recommend to play LEGO Games when you´ve got an 8 year old son like I do. To play in coop with children is a blast for both. I will play Batman 2 with him for sure, like I did with Batman 1, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter.

25. Caiman says:

This game is at least 9 years too late. I would have bought the shit out of a decent Lego LOTR back when the movies were first released, but that was a decade ago. Talk about missing the boat! Having seen the movies far too many times on DVD by now, I’ve really lost all interest in yet another reinterpretation of those movies.

26. misoranomegami says:

2 words: Lego Bond. Besides having a rich history of stories I think the over the top villians, the total wanton destruction and cool gadgets would be a natural! I love the idea of lego Q and getting to build fantastic creations. Of going back and replaying movies but swapping out which Bond girl or action buddy you go through levels with. Or Bond’s for that matter. Friends and I have declared that the Xbox achievement where you play through all the levels with Sean Connery will have to be “There can be only one”.

Comment on this story