Max Payne 3 PC Launch Trailer Focuses On Max’s Pain

By Nathan Grayson on June 1st, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Thank goodness, though, that I have this lush, full head of hair. Gosh, without it, I don't even know what I'd do.
Max Payne 3 is coming to PC today! (Jim’s review should turn up next week.) If your consolebox-owning friends are incredibly dedicated to taunting you, they may have already beaten it somewhere in the realm of 22.4 times by now – assuming they’re playing in shifts. But I don’t imagine the image they have irreparably seared into their retinas looks anywhere near this nice. Rockstar’s assembled a new trailer “entirely from in-game PC footage,” and it does, in fact, look fairly snazzy. Admittedly, it’s nothing mind-blowing, and the trailer itself is oddly stilted and awkward given Rockstar’s usual eye for style, but still: good game, better on PC. All is right in the world.

So that was fun. But do you plan on buying it? And if so, is your PC prepared for 35 raw, uncut gigabytes of Payne? Huh, that sounded a lot more like something that’d be bellowed by a geek-themed professional wrestler than I intended it to. Admittedly, I intend all of my sentences to sound a bit like a geeky wrestler script. Just not quite so overtly.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Toberoth says:

35GB. I forgot about that. Holy fucking mother of god, Telenet is going to do a poo on my neck.

• _PixelNinja says:

Regarding DRM — the game uses GameShield, including the Steam version. Rockstar refuse to communicate the number of activations nor if they are revocable.

Source.

EDIT: oups reply fail : /

• Toberoth says:

… I wasn’t talking about DRM. Are you just commenting here to get on the first page of comments?

Edit: Ah, I see your edit. NP.

• RegisteredUser says:

Maybe he did. If it helps, we can move over to saying how crap that is. Because it is.

DRM doesn’t belong on MP3s nor MP3!

• Shooop says:

Wrong reply or not, that makes me more than a little uncomfortable.

• illuminatus says:

Seems like the customer support twitter tweeting person was reassuring you that you shouldn’t have any issues? People were complaining a ton about Sims and Spore DRM before it was even out but issues were rare and customer support seemed very gracious to support people who ran into trouble.

• RegisteredUser says:

I suspect that the core game is < 10GB, but there has been a sad trend the last 10+ years of no longer customizing installers and just sloshing the slop over completely.
      Used to be we had actually tailored installs, where if you only wanted to install the low quality version, that's what you did and got.

I bet if you left out all languages other than english(a lot of these huge releases are secretly multi) and the 60-80% of texture formats your card can't handle in the first place and made the MP maps an optional component, you'd be under 50% of that size real quick and not miss a single thing for your SP experience.

This could be made possible through such things as steam, too. Filelists for installers and 2-3 checkboxes are not exactly herculean tasks.

• Toberoth says:

A lot of pirated copies of games cut out much of the bloat as well, and let you choose exactly what to download. It would be nice if developers caught on to this and gave us the option again. But seeing as I only extremely rarely pirate games (I think I’ve done it once in the last four years, discounting games that I already own but whose install discs I have lost/broken) I’ll probably end up downloading the whole 35GB and I’ll probably have to pay Telenet a few extra euros for the privilege. Oh well. It’s worth it if the game is good, and it does look good.

• Shooop says:

Really? Which ones?

The Black Box repacks are just extremely well compressed. All the data’s still there and installs.

• Toberoth says:

All of them – you can select which data to download just by ticking or unticking boxes in utorrent. I’ll confess here that the one game I pirated was Crysis 2, because I wanted to test out my new system a few months ago, and I saved a shitload of hdd space and time by only downloading the English localization pack. I’ll wager you could do that for quite a few games, if you had a mind to.

• Shooop says:

Oh, you’re referring to the torrents themselves.

You know, I’m wondering why developers still haven’t picked up on using bittorrent as a delivery service. It’s much faster and more reliable than Steam.

• Toberoth says:

I too have wondered that. We should hang out.

• Cytrom says:

Pretty interesting how can games like skyrim get away with like 5 gigabyte sized installer… that’s not even a full dual layer dvd, which is the usual medium, boxed copies come on. There must be some magicians at bethesda or skyrim is made out 8bit assets.

• Apples says:

Skyrim’s textures are pretty low res, the majority of the ingame world can probably be stored as heightmaps, and they have huge asset reuse and modularity, so I can see that coming in as a small size when compressed. With linear games you gotta have a lot of unique models and textures and animations and whatnot.

• Enso says:

Hidden, somewhere in all those files, is every movie the game is derivative of. *BADM-CH!*

2. CaspianRoach says:

I can’t wait for it to go on sale!

3. T4u3rs says:

I’m playing it on Xbox360 (my PC can’t handle this) and I think its the best TPS ever. Those image glitches or interferences and some big words appearing on screen during cutscenes are bit weird. Not sure why they did that. But overall, an awesome game with some epic shooting and Max being in a LOT of Payne. :P

4. AshEnke says:

I’m praying it will not be a fucked up rockstar port and it will run smoothly on my PC.
    I’d hate to have wasted my preorder money, but I couldn’t resist…

• Snidesworth says:

Played a little this morning and my first experience was pretty jarring; popping in sound, audio massively out of sync with cutscenes.

I disabled Vsync (in game) and turned down my sound quality a notch (out of game) and that sorted the problem out. After that it ran without flaw and at good speed, even though I’ve got the settings pretty high. It also looks quite lovely, water effects aside.

• 9of9 says:

I pre-ordered the game through Steam, and it doesn’t even start! ^^ I’d completely forgotten how crap Rockstar were at PC titles *headdesk*

5. Shakermaker says:

For anyone who got it today: do tell how it runs. I’ve grown a bit weary of Rockstar games on PC after the mess that was GTA4.

• Snidesworth says:

i5 2500, 4gb of RAM, Radeon 6870 here. Got most things set to max and it runs flawlessly, albeit after the sound popping/desync issue I mentioned above. I think that was due to vsync being turned on, but I can’t be sure until I test it some more.

6. Drake Sigar says:

Max Payne without the wit or comedic self-awareness of the originals, recycling a destructive motivation which was resolved in the first two games? No thanks.

Get over it Max, she wasn’t even that hot.

• Toberoth says:

Have you played it, or..?

• Elltot says:

He barely even mentions Mona or his wife and child in the new game. Its more about general self loathing and trying to start afresh but not being able too as he seems to be in a constant shitstorm. The plot is different enough from the first 2 to feel fresh. The dry wit is still there though.

My only grievance with the game is running out of ammo in firefights. It happens a lot and you end up having to run blindly into bullets and hoping you can get back into cover quick enough.

• siegarettes says:

Honestly aside from some brief mentions of Mona during the game, you could be forgiven for assuming this is some alternate reality where the second game never happened.

• zerosociety says:

Yeah, I’m so torn on this game. It’s actually a lush, gorgeous and decently written bit of neo-noir manshoots. It’s also only a Max Payne game only in that it has Max Payne is in it.

It completely ignores the events of 2 other than to say that “Mona was a mistake”. (Also ignoring all the stuff about coming to terms with his family’s loss.) It has none of the humor or stylistic writing or atmosphere of 1&2. Max has become a generic suicidal grumpyman.

It’s GOOD mind. Really good. But it’s not a Max Payne game in spirit or execution. (It also has a pretty high reliance on covershoots, and not shootdodging.)

7. Syra says:

ALREADY INSTALLED LETS GIVE IT A WHIRL OH YES OH YES.

• Syra says:

few little initial gripes – it refuses to acknowledge custom keypress assignments on my mouse binds, and the introcutscene seems unskippable (I ran the game, changed some video options, restarted and have to sit through it all again?)

Other than that the writing is great, it’s trying hard to recapture sam lake’s madness and comes across ab it self aware but I’m still chuckling at the grittiness of it. The animations and gfx are smoooooth as fuck and preeeetttyyy.

OKAY BACK TO IT KKTHX.

• siegarettes says:

The cutscenes are disguises for loading screens. Press the skip button a few more times later in the cutscene and it will probably skip and save you, oh, about 3 seconds.

It’s a bitch to replay levels cause of it.

8. Brashen says:

Looks pretty good, will wait on the pundits to make sure.

9. caddyB says:

No nuns? Instant buy!

10. UncleLou says:

I’ve ordered it. I am not really a lot ino pure manshoots these days, but I am a big fan of the Euphoria engine, think it’s praises aren’t sung nearly enough, and find the idea to use this technology for MP was the best idea anyone could have had regarding this franchise. Red Dead Redemption’s physics/animations produced by that tech still look like something from the future. It’s one of the rare cases where I think technology in gaming isn’ just an incremental upgrade, but a massive, bar-raising leap.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I must concur with you on this, from the ‘Design & Technology’ videos the game looks like at a pure minimum, a kinaesthetic and attention-to-detail filled masterpiece. The soundtrack is also one of the best I’ve ever heard.

11. Sander Bos says:

I live in the Netherlands. Never have I ever seen so much ads and ‘this program is brought to you by Max Payne’ and ‘advertorials’ on TV for any game ever before, by a wide margin. Is it like this in all other countries too?

• Toberoth says:

I haven’t seen any in Belgium yet, but I visited the UK last week and saw ads for the game basically everywhere.

• RegisteredUser says:

I wonder if the ad intensity is inversely correlated to their fear of the game being unable to stand on its own legs, win gamer’s hearts by its own merit and permeate the crowd by word of mouth.

• Enso says:

How do you have advertorials on TV? What do they look like? (I don’t own a television)

• Sander Bos says:

Maybe advertorial is not the right word (although now that I have Googled it, maybe it is the right word).
        I am talking about 10 minute TV programs talking about in this case Max Payne 3. It is never made clear that you are looking at an advertisement, and would it have been part of say a video game tv show it would have not looked out of place (talking e.g. about the character animation tech).

10 years or so ago I remember Apple being the first one to do such a thing in the Netherlands, I remember it specifically because it was on a VPRO broadcast night (high brow TV), and they used a loophole in the law (at the time) on the maximum length of commercial blocks by airing just before and after midnight. Now they are common place later in the evening on the commercial TV stations, but 90+% are let’s say paid movie reviews, not for other kinds of products.

• Enso says:

That’s awful and another reason why I still won’t be buying a television. Free yourself from its neon grasp, it’s twisting words, its Brave New World like, dystopian veneer!

• Contrafibularity says:

Also a resident of NL but since I only occasionally watch TV (and then only public channels and news channels, avoid commercial stuff like the plague). And I have to concur with Enso that it’s absolutely magnificent not to have to waste a single minute of one’s day on commercial breaks. I recently visited a friend and it got late and we were getting tired and flipping channels and it was literally the most amount of commercials/advertisements I’d been exposed to in years (felt weird). What little commercials the public channels have in between programmes (never during, or else I wouldn’t watch even the public channels) are easily bypassed or just recorded with DVR (with ‘infinite’ space as it’s all streamed from the ISP through net connection). I held out a long time for digital iptv but it’s worth it just to avoid commercials. That said most days I just watch one or two news programmes and spend time elsewhere, and of course download international stuff wot’s interesting.

It’s a shame this Apple stunt was on VPRO of all channels, pretty much the go-to public broadcaster for interesting, thought provoking and downright excellent programmes. Not to make this a plug but international viewers can watch some English VPRO stuff here, a small selection of their programmes but interesting nonetheless, they also don’t stay up forever, so get them while they’re there:

Such as:
            The Carlyle Connection
            Evgeny Morozov: The End of Cyber Utopia
            Another life is possible: An homage to Catalor
            Tony Judt’s Last Will
            The Wikileaks Code
            After Democracy
            Aftermath of a Crisis
            Quants – The Alchemists of Wall Street
            Interview with Philip Zimbardo
            Living in the end times according to Slavoj Zizek
            Exit Afghanistan
            Time for Change
            etc.

(Sorry, wouldn’t mention it if they weren’t consistently excellent)

• Reefpirate says:

It seems to be standard Rockstar practice these days to go big on the marketing and promotions. I remember seeing LA Noire absolutely everywhere last summer.

12. Lacessit says:

IS there a geek wrestler? There should be!

13. Oxymore says:

GOt if off steam, unable to launch the game, it seems that is also the case of a significant amount of people.

• 9of9 says:

Yep, you and me both -_- Also, can’t post on the Steam forums either, since I hadn’t registered there before – and have to wait for some silly moderation period. It’s all silly and a bit rubbish.

At least the customer support folks seem okay, though a bit baffled by the whole thing.

14. Belsameth says:

Loving it so far but, to me, this game is hard!
    I thought the same about 1 and 2 when first playing, so it takes a lot of getting used to.
    Max is being Max tho, so it can’t do much wrong in my book!

15. Tom Walker says:

I pre-ordered it! On disc. With standard postage.

Probably didn’t think that one through. Looking forward to it, though.

16. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I preordered it from EB Games here in Australia given I wanted a physical copy and they had a nice selection of promotional DLC. I went in last weekend to confirm the June 1st release, checked their website a couple of days ago which said the 5th, went in yesterday; it is indeed the 5th. Fuck.

It’s available on Steam now but my own copy is four days away, I can only desperately hope and pray the street date is broken, from everything I’ve personally seen and heard from friends the game looks astonishing and the wait is unbearable.

17. Totally heterosexual says:

Played this on conosleboxtoywhatever and i actually liked it. Im not a fan of they way took max as a character and his dialogue is actually kinda badly written. The game is overall really solid.

18. MistyMike says:

I’m definitely going to play this, although I agree the sentiment expressed by some around here, namely that it just makes zero psychological sense to have this brooding hero, full of shame and regret, to gun down guys by the dozens. If I had Max’ ability, I’d be like ‘I’m a MONSTERTRUCK that walks like a man!!’.

19. FoolsHope says:

I’ve been playing for a few hours now, Downloaded from Steam this morning (GMT+2) and installed without a hitch. It seems the noir is pretty much gone but to me it’s still an amazing game. Rockstar have definitely succeeded in taking Max in a new direction. As a fin, I approve.

20. Sparkasaurusmex says:

Will this be moddable? Max Payne 2 was a good game, but it was made great by the Kung Fu mod.

21. PyromaticTabby says:

This is another game that’s suffered from a staggered PC release for me, By this point I’ve watched nearly an entire playthrough on Youtube in a quest to statisfy the question of ‘Should Buy?’, Frankly I’m content to have watched it as a freebe on youtube than pay for the game 2 weeks after the intial release.

22. Howl says:

I’ve been playing it since this morning after seeing all the praise on Metacritic. I thought the manshooty bits were ‘ok’ but feel dated. There are some annoying niggles that the 3rd person introduces, like Max’s big fat head obscuring the bad guys when you use cover. The bullet dodge seems to have become obsolete with the introduction of cover.

The biggest issue is that you’re forced to sit through a badly scripted Steven Seagal film whilst you play that has overused and randomly timed distortion and picture in picture effects.

It’s no May Payne but it’s playable. If I could travel back in time I’d tell myself to wait for a Steam sale and pick it up for pennies.

EDIT: It does have flawless Nvidia surround support, which is praiseworthy.

23. Shooop says:

I’m already reading about problems running the game right out of the gate.

Oooooooh boy…

24. Werthead says:

Decent so far. The writing is reasonable. Less monologuing than in the first two and no comic book strips, but compared to the second game it isn’t jarring (so far, only about an hour in). The production values are astonishing. The port seems flawless so far, no issues whatsoever. My 560Ti handles it at 1900 with everything turned up to the max (so to speak) with no problems.

More annoying is that the game has ‘clues’ lying around (magazine articles, torn clothing fragments) but if you stop for more than a few seconds to look for them, Max says something like, “I can’t stay here! I gotta move!” The game seems to be contradicting itself a lot. Also, the limited gun supply is annoying. Dual-wielding means sacrificing another gun, so you either have to not dual-wield (which is one of Max’s signature things) or get used to running out of ammo, a lot.

Best news is that, so far, cover has been totally unnecessary. The old bullet time or shootdodging has served every time (especially effective now that headshots count, which they didn’t in the first two). What is a bit weird is that your aiming in bullet time has been slowed down slightly as well. I’m guessing they thought it would be too easy if you could aim in real-time. Which is odd as I distinctly remember it not being a problem in the two previous games.

Overall, a lot of small niggles and one big one (the cut scene issue; why is Max doing all his coolest stuff like jumping into moving helicopters in cut scenes?). Not as good as the first two so far but still the best pure shooter in a while.

• brulleks says:

“In gameplay terms, there are a lot of cut scenes. I mean, you’re chasing some dude down a hallway and go through the door and get a cutscene of Max going through the door, wondering if there’s enemies on the far side (there are, because you just saw them going through the door). Then you get a cut scene of him going into cover for a shoot out. This happens even if you were trying to shootdodge through the door, in which case you could have killed everyone in the room in about 5 seconds and been on your way. Instead the game railroads you into set-piece firefights rather than letting you get on with the mission at hand.”

This is precisely what has stopped me wanting to play any more of Alice:Madness Returns after two levels (apart from the references to Max Payne and shooting and cover and firefights).

• Toberoth says:

I’m pretty sure headshots did count in the first two games.

• Werthead says:

Actually, I think the second game did count headshots, particularly when the target was otherwise wearing full body armour, but in the first it didn’t seem to make any difference whether you shot them in the arm, head or chest.

The third game, of course, has blood shooting ten feet through the air and the enemy flying backwards with realistic impact damage to the skull if you shoot them in the head. The level of detail in this area is slightly worrying.

25. CelticPixel says:

Only a couple of hours in, but really irritated by the constant cut-scenes. Shoot 5 guys, 15 second cut scene. Shoot 5 guys, 15 second cut scene. Shoot 10 guys, 30 second cut scene. It won’t let me get into the flow. I just get started and then I’m made to sit there while a totally unnecessary cut-scene plays. I’ll keep playing, but so far it hasn’t gave me that Max Payne feeling at all : (

26. asura kinkaid says:

having played this for a couple of days now… this “gaem” is a fine example of everything that’s wrong with gaming today. at this point it doesn’t even matter which studio produced the title, famed Rockstar or or some rinky-dink fly-by-night EA subsidiary, you get the same “interactive” console corridor C-movie “experience” you’ve had a 10k times before. I can’t believe i paid $60 for another lame cod clone which, unlike the original can’t even get the controls right

• samsonite says:

The whole process felt bad from the start, having to wait 5 minutes for the cutscene to finish before being allowed to change the screen resolution, have to sign up to Rockstar Social club to play single player, on the first or second gunbattle the aiming reticle is actually forced over to aim at one of the baddies so you can shoot him and start, another cutscene.

If they are only unskippable for loading reasons then the loading is taking far longer than any other game I’ve played. They seem unskippable for a set period in which the level is already loaded, then once that is over you are allowed to skip.

At that point I gave up and thought back to the way Half Life 1 did the intro, so played that instead with no DRM spyware, facebook login and it was miles better.

Comment on this story