The Joy Of Hex: Fray Launches June 19th

By Adam Smith on June 1st, 2012 at 11:00 pm.

Strategic corporations-at-war simulation, Fray, could be one of June’s hexiest releases. In fact, it could be one of the games that defines my summer. Using a turn-based system to allow planning and then letting the consequences play out in realtime, a We-Go state of affairs like Frozen Synapse, the game pitches player-controlled squads against one another and lets them duke it out using all sorts of fancy future tech. Given how much I want to play this every time I see it the fact that I haven’t taken advantage of alpha or beta access probably speaks ill of my intelligence. Or time management. Perhaps both! Anyway, here’s a new trailer. Release date is June 19th.

Lovely stuff. This year is being very kind to me.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Xzi says:

You need to give me one good reason as to why I hadn’t heard of this game until right now. I freaking LOVE Frozen Synapse. Adding higher-res shinies on top of that gameplay type is a recipe for needing to change my pants.

I suppose the upside is that I won’t have to wait on the edge of my seat for too long now. Unlike my experience with Planetside 2.

• RegisteredUser says:

Edit: Wait. Is it MP only anyhow? Interest just shot to 0.

As much as I was initially intrigued, Frozen Synapse ended up doing what I feared: It went against my obsessive control freak nature.
      Yes, its nice to kinda have that X-Factor, but (sluggish as crud interface/turns etc aside, for an astonishingly un-complex game) I got nowhere near as much joy out of it as games that try to make TBS as close to react-when-you-would, control-all-aspects as possible.
      I.e. get to intervene when something new is spotted, plot every step, reload every bullet, etc pp.
      Its just more involved and less roulette to me.

So I worry about this one, too.

2. T4u3rs says:

I’ve joined the beta the moment I’ve heard of it. I’ve never found anyone playing it. I’m still intrigued.

• Richie Shoemaker says:

It’s an interesting game. It looks far more complicated than it actually is and and not much like Frozen Synapse at all. Advance Wars crossed with speed draughts, or a kind of turn-based (classic) Syndicate.

I wasn’t overly convinced by it at first. I seemed to spend half my time trying to find the opponent and the rest trying to look for complexities that weren’t there (there’s no facing, crouching, etc), but I’m finding the game has its own charm, from setting up your squad before a match to planning your advance afterwards.

It desperately needs more players though, and some kind of mess-around single-player tutorial mode. And later on a meta-game alliance mode will make it feel much more distinct.

I will play more.

3. Fumarole says:

3D hex-based Frozen Synapse sounds alright to me.

• LionsPhil says:

Hexes! Hexes in the trailer showing off the hexy-ness!

One of my big complaints with Synapse was the fuzzyness of positioning, so this does seem quite an interesting proposition.

…except for the lack of any kind of singleplayer, apparently. Rats.

4. Mistabashi says:

Yep.

2012 is pretty awesome isn’t it? I mean, when I was a kid I always imagined 2012 would be pretty cool, and here we are in 2012 and it’s pretty cool!

5. BrainCandy_Yshaana says:

We need more people in the beta! We have 10000 keys available, so please spread the word and we will share love and candy with everyone!

6. MythArcana says:

I think I’ll stick with my Silent Storm for now.

7. BrainCandy_Yshaana says:

if you guys want to organize matches, you can post availabilities here: http://www.fray-game.com/en/forum/16/

8. wodin says:

No single player no buy.

• JiminyJickers says:

Yeah I’m in the same boat.

Was gutted when I heard it was multi player only.

• Zenicetus says:

Same here. And more importantly, why am I bothering to read a site like RPS if they can’t put a friggin’ note in the main article about whether a new game is multiplayer only? Why should we have to scroll down into comments to find out it’s a game category that many of us will ignore?

RPS, please get your act together on this. Find a way to flag articles so that those of us PC gamers who aren’t interested in games that don’t support singleplayer can ignore that article.

Unless you think that this is the Futuuuure of gaaaaming!” or something. In which case, I’ll stop coming here.

• Torgen says:

“the game pitches player-controlled squads against one another and lets them duke it out using all sorts of fancy future tech.”

That’s the third sentence in the article. Perhaps you should just learn to read instead of throw an entitlement fit.

• Toberoth says:

Good lord, what a tantrum. Maybe you should stop coming here.

• RegisteredUser says:

9. Reefpirate says:

Hmmmm… I’m a little worried about the player base. I got a beta key, and game looks cool and all, but there’s no games to play.

I wish them all the best, but asking for $20 for a game that depends on having a steady player base to play at all should perhaps consider a F2P model these days.

• Dahoon says:

Well, isn’t most F2P games really P2P when it comes down to it? Sure, if they can make it work like Path of Exile then I’m game. But if it is anything like World of Tanks then I’d rather just buy it.

• Mistabashi says:

The point is not which model is better value for the player, but which will attract the most number of players. Since MP games live or die based on achieveing a significant and stable number of players the F2P model is clearly the better route in many cases.

• Joshua Northey says:

Laser Squad Nemesis hung on for 5 years with just a couple hundred players. You don’t need a ton of players to keep a community going.

• Xzi says:

The problem is that they haven’t given their game any exposure whatsoever. It doesn’t have hundreds of players in the 100% free beta. It has zero playing at any given time. :(

I can only hope that it’ll pick up speed when it gets a Steam page. A gameplay concept like this is too good to just fade away unnoticed.

10. Orontes says:

The game is looking really good so far, but it is a shame no-one’s online at the moment. Hopefully the player numbers will pick up soon.

11. Syrio says:

The joy of hex. You perverts need to stay our of your parents’ closets.

12. Hypocee says:

Camouflage, guys, you’re doin’ it wrong!

13. Miltrivd says:

Damn, this needs more publicity stunts!

14. ScottHarrigan says:

This could very well be the game that converts me into a strategy game play. It looks like a blast, and I love the look of the game as well. It is also releasing close to my birthday so it seems like it was meant to be. Hexes are usually fun too. As fun as the Syndicate remakes was, it was a shame that they turned a cool strategy game into another FPS.

Fray seems like what the Syndicate remake should have been.

Comment on this story