Simply Wonderful: SimCity Dated For February 2013

By Nathan Grayson on June 2nd, 2012 at 10:00 am.

A city! Presumably filled with Sims!

The pre-E3 news volcano keeps on spewing molten infobits, as is its over-exuberant wont. EA, for whatever reason (perhaps, you know, E3) is saving its trailers until next week, but it’s seen fit to toss a rather important morsel in hungry fans’ direction to tide them over. Namely, via an email touting the publishing kingpin’s trade show lineup, it pegged SimCity‘s grand opening for February 2013. Previously, all we had to go on was a vague “2013.” Now then, here’s hoping that actually goes according to plan – given the precedent set by a certain other recently launched “always online” game.

Maxis, meanwhile, has promised a grand unveiling next week – far beyond rough-around-the-edges tech demos. Most crucially, multiplayer’s apparently a lock for the show, which means we’ll finally understand how EA’s admittedly less potent connected tech will improve our experiences. So then, chatter excitedly amongst yourselves. Preferably in Simlish.

, , , .

1. piphil says:

Klapaucius?

2. Premium User Badge It's not me it's you says:

Whoopadishna!

3. The Dark One says:

I half-expected that rough-around-the-edges tech demo link to point to Will Wright’s GDC Spore keynote.   :v

4. kataras says:

Unrealistic! There is no goats on the whole island?

5. cliffski says:

Maybe it’s my age, or time in the industry, but I have to say that when i hear that there will be an exciting trailer or tech demo for a game that is coming out in 8 months time, I tend to just skip it now.
    I can’t buy it, can’t play it, can’t do anything about it, for such a long time that it’s frankly irrelevant.

Don’t get me wrong, I am VERY keen on getting sim city the day it’s released. But I’ll have aged another year by then. This is just too early to get excited about.

• Was Neurotic says:

Those are exactly my feelings about 99% of all game PR ever. I put it down to the fact of reading game news on blogs and websites every single day almost, whereas ten years ago I was only reading it once a month in PCG. Something like that, anyway.

• Joshua Northey says:

Well it is interesting. I think this type of coverage is a holdover from when this type of media was mainly there for the benefit of the publishers rather than the players. It was part of the hype creation machine. Now the format is sort of tried and true so this type of content stays regardless of people’s interest.

I for one would be much more interested in reviews and discussion of new released and even older games, than updates about some game that wont be here for 8 or 18 months., or some tech demo which has no relation to anything.

That said if it is something I am REALLY interested in like SimCity or Xcom I still click on it, but I rarely feel like it is a good use of my time afterwards.

Just my $.02

• syndrome says:

I agree. It really makes much more sense to elaborate on something we can see/test/play NOW.

What’s the point in talking about something that’ll happen without any sort of feedback and/or decision from our side?

Fuck this hyping (de)generation. 60 million people die every year worldwide, go make _them_ anticipate the next year’s titles! We can’t anticipate our own deaths, yet we’re thrilled over some big title release next year. Fuck that.

Big expectations only make for a greater disappointment in the long run, anyway.

I want to live today! I was happier when I was a kid. There was only me, the things I didn’t have, and a big fuzzy who-knows-what-will-happen-but-it’ll-be-fun Future.

Oh, the glorious 80′s.

6. pilouuuu says:

I still hope they somehow drop the always on-line DRM…

7. Solidstate89 says:

I also heard this game will be available on Steam as well, not just through Origin.

• smg77 says:

Still not buying it if it requires Origin to be installed or has always-on DRM.

• kaffis says:

While this would be welcome news from EA with regards to moving in the right direction, I’m 100% with smg77. I’m not creating an account with EA to play this, even if I can purchase it on Steam.

8. ArgonautPollux says:

You can keep your Always-On, Origin Exclusive, no modding on release game. I had a dim hope on announcement, now it can go right in the trash along with every other EA title.

9. LintMan says:

Hold on – Sim City 5 is back to being always online again? I could have sworn I saw something – on this site – saying it would still work offline. Or perhaps that’s just my wishful imagination or maybe I missed the latest memo?

At this point, I’m ready to say screw it. I don’t want a Sim City MMO any more than I wanted a Diablo III MMO.

• MiniMatt says:

Online check at every launch. So can’t be played in the abscence of internet (or EA’s servers) but you don’t get dumped if the intertubes crap out midway through a play session.

Personally I find this just as bad and it, with great reluctance, joins the pile of (sometimes depressingly good) games I won’t buy. Your mileage may vary.

10. Jimbo says:

They’ve already turned me off this game. The industry sure is making this a cheap hobby for me nowadays. I’m going to have to take up painting or something if this carries on.

11. wuwul says:

What’s the reward/challenge/gameplay structure of the game going to be?

Is it going to be an unchallenging sandbox, a challenging economic simulation, an MMO with some sort of progression structure, something else?

Is it going to be about random maps, crafted scenarios, random scenarios, campaigns?

Is it going to push the boundary on world size, number of simulated entities, or complexity of the simulation?

Is it going to be mostly realistic, mostly unrealistic for the sake of better gameplay, or simply unrealistic due to developer incompetence?

Inquiring minds want to know!

12. BrendanJB says:

Echoing the sentiment that they can keep their game.

13. The Random One says:

So far they’ve done a great job of making me want to play Cities XL.

14. ScottHarrigan says:

This looks positively gorgeous. It is incredible to see how far the simulation games have gone. The models look phenomenal. This game seems like it would just be fun to look at, like playing with actual models. Thirteen years worth of improvement can work wonders.