No Rush: Starcraft II Getting Mod Marketplace, Streaming

By Jim Rossignol on June 4th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

Details up on Battlenet tell of the beta for patch 1.5 for Starcraft II, and it’s got a couple of important things in there. The most important of these is The Arcade, which is a way to find “custom games”, aka mods, that have been created and posted by the Starcraft community. Blizzard explain: “When you log into the beta, you’ll find the Arcade has games available to play, because the industrious StarCraft II custom gaming community has already been hard at work crafting, refining, and posting their creations.” The patch also contains some editor refinements, to make that mod crafting a little easier.

Also in this patch is a streaming launcher, which will allow people to install and patch the game a little faster. Because speed is everything, eh mortals?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. televizor says:

When I first read the title, I figured they were gonna monetize mods too.
    Also by streaming I understood (because I’m a retard) that they were gonna introduce a super cool DOTA2-like -spectate any game you like- feature.

• Xocrates says:

Actually, selling mods has been planned for quite some time.

Mind you, the plan is to sell a select few “high quality” stuff, Joe Average wouldn’t be able to sell mods ala RMHA.

• Highstorm says:

Thinkin’ the same thing.

Though it already has spectating, but you have to start the game as a spectator, rather than being able to watch a game in progress – ala LoL’s spectating.

• tkioz says:

While I’m far from a fan of blizzard in recent days, given how badly they screwed up the Diablo 3 launch and the disgusting crap that is the RMAH, I’d be perfectly okay with selling mods.

Of course I’d only be fine with it if the lion-share of the money actually went the people who made them (at least 51%), there are some truly, exceptional mods out there for various games, and I’d be more then willing to pay a few dollars to support such people, who have been unable to monetize their creations.

But it has to be majority of income going to the guys who made them, not 90% into the pocket of Blizzard/Activision

2. caddyB says:

That screenshot.

3. MythArcana says:

Might as well go work on Starcraft 2 since D3 is a complete mess. Makes sense.

• killias2 says:

When I read “complete mess,” I usually don’t think “6 million sold” or “critically praised.” Mayhap we have different definitions?

• Xari says:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 sold millions and is praised by critics! A superior FPS game that casts a shadow over all others in its genre!

• SirKicksalot says:

As Spielberg once said, everybody loves a winner but nobody loves a WINNER.

• killias2 says:

I wouldn’t say MW3 is “[a] superior FPS game that casts a shadow over all others in its genre!” However, I also wouldn’t call it a “complete mess” for the reasons you outlined.

The PC version might be an exception, but, then again, the PC version sold -far- less and was reviewed -far- more critically than Diablo 3.

• ThTa says:

In realtion to that last bit: I have to wonder how the console reviewers would have responded to D3.
            I mean, they’re already going raving mad over potentially not being able to buy and sell used games by way of serial codes and online activation – imagine their response to always-on DRM and not being able to play at their own leisure for even the shortest time.

• Ultramegazord says:

So… commercial sucess means quality? Just like Justin Bieber and Britney Spears make extremely high quality music since they sell millions and millions of albums? Please. Diablo 3 is a shallow game.

• Nevard says:

So… quality means “not a complete mess? Just like Justin Bieber and Britney Spears make extremely high quality music since you can technically listen to their songs and they aren’t a garbled mess of static? Please. Diablo 3 is hardly a complete mess.

Or… did you just not bother reading his statement in context and just launched into a spew of internet bile?

• Reefpirate says:

They never stopped working on Starcraft 2. I think you underestimate the size of Blizzard. They can work on more than one thing at a time.

4. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

They planned to monetize mods from the start. That it has not happened yet is if anything a good sign.

• Hoaxfish says:

Makes me wonder just how long it’ll actually be before Diablo 3′s RMAH gets online. It’s a similar idea, but obviously not exactly the same size or scope.

• killias2 says:

So much depends on the way it’s implemented. Unlike the RMAH, which is just sort of a shifty idea generally*, this could be good or bad. A lot depends on the selection process for determining “premium” mods.

*One thing I’ll say in defense of RMAH is that money and item selling was a big part of Diablo 2. It was just implemented with bots, spam, and lots of problems. Go try to play an online game of D2 now. Unless it’s private, have fun with the spambots! I’m not sure RMAH is the only solution, but I’d seriously prefer it to D2′s black market implementation.

• JerreyRough says:

So what makes this such a bad thing eh? It’ll only increase the chance that people will take mod creation seriously and create something above and beyond the average. And there will always be fantastic free stuff too, especially since many mod makers feel the same way you do (though mostly because many of whom they make the mod for won’t play, not necessarily because they don’t wish to be paid). I.e. if such a thing existed in WC3 then I suspect its wonderful Dwarven Campaign would have kept going.

• Vorphalack says:

Or it could go the other way and deter anyone with talent from using the SC2 map editor. You do not create an environment conducive to modding when your EULA states that you have absolutely no rights to your creation. Blizzard want the next DotA, but they don’t want the creator to have any control over their own work.

Additionally this could lead to yet more community division if some game modes become pay to play. That has never been healthy for games that rely on large player pools for match making.

• mr.ioes says:

It’s a terrible sign to be honest.

I don’t trust Blizzard with their monetization methods anymore. They totally built a game around RMAH (on my DVD it says Di-AH-Blo 3). If they think of monetizing mods, it just has to fail.

• brecherbernd says:

Well, as much I can understand the criticism about Diablo’s always online stuff and the general qualitaty of that game (Its very addictive but not really fun), I don’t think that the Auction house, as well as monetizing some high quality mods is bad. It might encourage Developers to put even more effort in their mods and with that much free stuff out there, you really really need to do something special, to get anyone to buy your stuff. The entry mark is even higher, as you mostly need also other players to play it ( I can’t understand why there are not more people playing the marvelous ‘Star League Soccer’, its soooo much fun! But there are usually not enough people out there for a match :( )

For the auction house: It enables everyone to trade for money, what they before did via Ebay and other tools, sometimes with a big potential for scam.

5. misterT0AST says:

When Blizzard will be done with the Diablo III auction house, the Starcraft II Mod Marketplace, and they’ll revitalize WoW with the expansion, they could be throwing money off a cannon every day and still be making profit. For years and years and years to come.
    Say what you will about them, if they can get away with this stuff, their games have to be amazing.
    And they always are.
    Blizzard = pure genius.
    I tip my hat to them.

• JFS says:

Yeah, just like Justin Bieber. If he gets away if this stuff, his music has to be amazing. Say what you will.

• misterT0AST says:

it might not be “amazing”, but his whole figure is masterfully engineered to appeal to a certain demographic. There is a bit of genius in every great Pied Piper of Hamelin.

• Bungle says:

You don’t need to be a genius to mesmerize the idiot masses. Pop culture is proof of that.

• rocketman71 says:

Bravo. Also, trillions of flies eat shit. It doesn’t make it any better. Or tastier.

Not that I know. I don’t eat shit, and I don’t buy from Blizzard since they started publishing always-online shit.

Edit: my bravo goes for JFS, obviously. Damn you, reply button that brings you to the bottom of the page and gives no context!

• Vorphalack says:

You assume too much. If Blizzard hadn’t started dumbing down, they could be making even larger piles of money than they are now. All they have to trade on these days is their old name and nostalgia, which is fast running out with each flaccid excuse for a game they foist on the world. They are chasing the quick buck. It’s not genius, it’s short sighted greed.

• Edradour says:

>Starcraft 2

>Flaccid excuse for a game

why am i even bothering with comments on the internet anymore?

• Phantoon says:

Surely you can admit it was a different vein than the original? Whether or not you think that’s good is irrelevant- it was surely different in many broad ways. Some people did not like that, and thought it made it a worse game.

• Zihua says:

RPS comments: dumber than YouTube comments.

6. Ultramegazord says:

So now we will have to pay for mods too?
    After the Diablo 3 disaster they want to monetarize Starcraft 2, this must be a joke.

Can’t they learn anything from Valve? Valve monetarizes their games without ruining them by designing them NOT around money like Blizzard is doing, they’re turning into a Zynga like company and Diablo 3 is their own Farmvile where people farm all day for coins to spend on better items, it’s a shame Blizzard became this kind of company.

• malkav11 says:

That users would be able to make for pay mods for Starcraft II was something that was known back in 2009. It’s just apparently taken this long to actually be happening.

• pkt-zer0 says:

“Can’t they learn anything from Valve?”

Umm… they’re doing the same thing? Letting users make stuff an put a price tag on it, taking a small cut for publicizing them. Like the TF2 community-made hats or whatever. Or am I missing something?

• Vesuvius says:

In Valve’s case the fan made creations they monetized were:
        a) Cosmetic rather than gameplay driven. They were hats and masks, not mods.
        b) All the monetized fan-made items in Valve-world can be found or crafted for free in game. You may not find your ideal item for a while, or it may take waiting for a double drop weekend, or a trade (which you can do for free without Valve taking a cut unlike certain other RMAHs that will go unnamed), but you can get all the same stuff without spending if you so desire.

7. mr.ioes says:

Am I the only one that feels like this Marketplace looks like a complete rip off of Steam’s Workshop?

• Ultramegazord says:

You mean, a really low quality rip-off of Steam Workshop? Yes, it seems so.

• mr.ioes says:

Yep, that’s what I ment. rip off like the chinese tf2 one :)
        Although there were one or two cool things about, but I can’t remember. Just small details that do it right, just like the flies around the poo. I’m bad at analogies, my doctor told me at prostate exam.

• Lemming says:

Not just a rip-off, but an evil twin. They are trying to make money off people’s mods.

8. Iskariot says:

I completely stopped playing Star Craft 2 now. I bought the collectors edition with all the bells and whistles. But halfway through the campaign it bored the hell out of me. Not the story line… and I love the production value of the game, but the gameplay itself is so unimaginative, so outdated, so small scale.
    I am used to Supreme Commander Forged Alliance now,… huge battelfields, strategic and tactical missiles, huge armies, huge bases, complete airforces, incredible sea battles and monstrous super units. I can not go back anymore to Star Craft type RTS after experiencing the epic battles of SupComFa.

• Lemming says:

See, I didn’t mind the retroness of the gameplay. I bought the game literally for the single player, but I never finished the last mission just because I found it a bit overwhelming with the difficulty spike. I was finding the story and campaign rather fun, although the Protoss missions should be reserved a special place in hell. They just aren’t fun to play like the Terrans.

9. Blob-World-Eye-Weary says:

Well I found most of the mods on SC2 to be disappointing, but that may have something to do with there shitty interface design or that wc3 spoiled me good :p

10. rocketman71 says:

LAN?. No?. Ok, then fuck them, their mod marketplace and their streaming.

Comment on this story