Weirdbiff: Zeno Clash II Arriving In 2013!

By Jim Rossignol on June 4th, 2012 at 10:16 am.

Nice rice hat - wow, no one will ever get that reference.
There’s going to be a Zeno Clash sequel in 2013! Trailer below, showing Father-Mother and Ghat leaping from a huge building, with Golem watching. Then there are huge landscapes, a giant arm sticking out of the ground, and plenty of weird-looking cities. Ace Team explain that it’s going to be a much bigger deal this time: “The world of Zenozoik comes alive like never before, an open world waiting to be explored, rendered with breathtaking splendor. As Ghat, players can fully and freely explore every natural and architectural wonder his world has to offer.” There’s a website with absolutely no more detail over here, but we can hopefully expect more of the game’s melee combat, and plenty of inspiring strangeness.

Hooray for E3 announcements, eh readers?

, , , .

RedViv says:

Happy. I’ll pick up any game with imaginative use of previously dull gameplay until BG&E2 is released.

2. LionsPhil says:

Those Nod engineers are getting real slapdash throwing up the barracks.

3. Vexing Vision says:

This was a very pleasant E3 surprise to wake up to. I didn’t expect that.

4. Justin Keverne says:

Did she say “taff”, is this secretly a Thief game?

• frenz0rz says:

I noticed that too! Cheeky taffers.

• Firetaffer says:

I have unknowingly waited my whole life for this game. That taff.

• Bhazor says:

The one thing Thief was missing.
      Beating an elephant to death with a shovel.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

No, she said “tef”. They used the word as an expletive in the first game, too (along with “kak”). In the first group of enemies you face, one of them (in fact the same girl as in the trailer above) taunts you with “We will eat you pana and tef in your skull!”

5. Squirrelfanatic says:

Golem is watching, always watching.

6. yabonn says:

Happy. Some games get a bonus because they are more intensely not-COD than the others. This is one of these.

7. Akatsuki says:

Wait, but I didn’t spot PC as a platform in the final screen! That being said, it could actually be a decent Kinect/Move game, I enjoyed the first one a lot.

• LionsPhil says:

The obnoxious whole-thing-is-a-Flash-plugin-and-its-all-behind-age-verification website has a little “PC” at the bottom.

Surprisingly, not a “Games for Windows”.

• Akatsuki says:

Ah thanks for pointing that one out, I was afraid I would have to play a version of zeno Clash with blurry textures. Those hurt the eyes, I tell you that.

• nk says:

It would have been surprising not to have a PC version, since the first game sales on x360 were poor (source). The devs were also pleasantly active on the steam forums following release, which is always a plus.

8. SlappyBag says:

Looks like they have moved away from the old version of Source they owned, most likely to UDK I presume. Good move.

Looking forward to more of their crazy lore and art style.

• faelnor says:

Yep! Last we heard they had switched to UE3 (they used that for Rock of Ages too).

• DrGonzo says:

That would explain why the faces looked very creepy and plastic this time around. I would have rather they went with the latest version of Source over Unreal, much crisper and nicer looking imho.

But, really, I’m getting more Zeno Clash so yay!

9. Jimbo says:

Father-Mother: creepy character or creepiest character?

• Theon says:

The ending removed all that was ever creepy about her/him.
      So much build-up for such a light-hearted and disappointing ending.

Dilapinated says:

Spoilers follow: I found Father-Mother the most disappointing aspect of ZC. Great character design, and for once a trans/genderqueer character being in a game, great build-up, only for them to take the easy-out option at the end by having Golem go “Fuck that, he’s male and he’s delusional and he steals babies because he can’t deal with that”. The fact that a lot of media can’t seem to handle having a trans/nonbinary character without them being a ‘deluded’ psycho-killer (or in this case, baby-snatcher) is disappointing. At least they didn’t use him/her as comic relief, I guess. Small mercies.

Hopefully we’ll see more character development in ZC2. Will probably end up picking this up, as I enjoyed the gameplay and the worldbuilding, and found many aspects of the plot interesting, too.

• Malk_Content says:

I think the game needed some kind of twist, even if it was massively obvious. “Oh it was our parent all along and we are just a rebellious child” isn’t exactly interesting regardless of how important you think breaking gender stereotypes/roles is.

maninahat says:

I totally disagree.

The ending specifically works because the society has such a great reverence for hermaphrodites and for parent figures. No one finds it strange that Mother-Father is the parent of such a diverse family, suggesting that hermaphrodites are openly accepted and respected. The most horrific crimes commited in the course of the game are:
          a) murdering the beloved patriarch/matriarch,
          b) pretending to be a mother/father, stealing children from their real parents.
          If anything, Mother-Father’s behaviour and treatment demonstrates how highly this fictional society regards hermaphrodites – show me another game that does that!

10. Tori says:

The face of the lady and its animation looked very bad to me.

11. tehsorrow says:

Awesome news! I loved the original warts and all I can’t wait to see more of the weird locations and people in this one. Bonus points if they smooth out the gameplay a little

12. Pulec says:

Yepee, more punching! The girl and the Golem is from the first one right? Mother-Father is wierd as usual. Let’s hope it will not be overpriced and quite cheap and simple as the first one!

• Muzman says:

I think she’s one of the ones who said “I’LL KILL YOUUU!”, before punching you in the face.
      Seems too agro for Deandra (who wasn’t one of ‘The Family’ if I recall)

13. Paroxysm says:

News of the show! Cancel all other announcements as I am satisfied.

14. Angel Dust says:

Awesome!

That is all.

15. Jams O'Donnell says:

Dammit — at some point I’ll get round to playing the first one, which has been sitting in my Steam account unloved since I bought it in one of Steam’s insaneosales a year or two ago.

• Eclipse says:

do it! it’s very short too! and you wont regret it, the melee combat is very good

• Muzman says:

I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it. It’s a lot of connected fight arenas, with the occasional ‘rail’ travel section, filled with combat I was mostly terrible at. But getting punched in the face a lot is appropriate because the game is so stuffed with personality I actually found it dizzying.
      It’s not in that trippy way that Ice Pick Lodge games get you either. It’s all very..sanguine, for want of less wanky word. (It’s somehow appropriate for a game with a forrest filled with crazy things that just do whatever they do, but with passion)

16. Inigo says:

The Rock of Ages better be a bonus boss.

Nero says:

Whoa, I did not expect this but I’m very happy to hear this news. Really liked the first one.

Lars Westergren says:

Clive Barker’s Imajica: The game.

19. MuscleHorse says:

Got the original in a bundle some time back but am yet to play it – I think I’ll have to give it a spin sometime this week.

20. Theon says:

I’m not giving them half a cent before they release the multiplayer and tower-challenge for the PC.

• Inigo says:

Hasn’t the tower challenge been on the PC for ages?

• Malk_Content says:

According to the steam achievements list (and damn this game is on my other lost account!) yes it is and a remember playing the tower challenges shortly after release for free.

Gap Gen says:

Man, it’s been forever since I punched a giant bird-mammal thingandinthgame.

22. MadTinkerer says:

Although I really do need to go back and finish playing the first one now. Doesn’t it, like, start with the protagonist killing father-mother? So that trailer is probably more confusing to me than to anyone who hasn’t played it at all. Very confusing spoilers(?).

But as long as I get to punch hordes of colorful nutters in the face, I’ll be happy.

maninahat says:

It could be a spoiler for people who haven’t played the first game. Then again, half the first game is set in the past, whilst mother-father was still alive, so it could be seen as a prequel…oh just finish the first game!

Zenoclash had one of the most intriguing stories I’d ever seen in a videogame. It’s beautiful aesthetics, unique premise and satisfying pugilism puts it on my top 10.

Oozo says:

I’m really interested in how they will deal with the more open world-aspects of it.
    The classic brawler-formula (advance a bit, beat the group of enemies put in your way, advance, repeat, till you magically get transformed to another setting) worked well for the first game; I guess an open territory would change the pace of the game considerably. Then again, I always wanted to see more of this weird world, so I’m up for a bit more of walking around…

• Mistabashi says:

As far as I know the first game was originally intended to be a much bigger, more open-world game with an RPG-like structure to it. They had to downsize their plans simply because it wasn’t really manageable for them at the time.

24. The Hammer says:

Ahhh, been waiting for this ever since they first suggested the sequel would be a more open-ended game. Which was, like, 2007, surely?

I actually bought the first one at retail. Woah.

25. Zeewolf says:

[E3 2012] ATLUS AND ACE TEAM JOIN UP TO TAKE VIDEO GAME FACE BASHING TO THE NEXT LEVEL WITH ZENO CLASH II, SEQUEL TO AWARD-WINNING INDIE FIRST-PERSON MELEE BRAWLER, COMING TO PC, XBOX 360, AND PLAYSTATION 3 SYSTEMS WITH FULL COOPERATIVE MULTIPLAYER I

The world is bigger, the creatures are wilder, and the punches land harder than ever before!

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA – JUNE 4, 2012 – ATLUS, a brand of Index Digital Media, Inc., in collaboration with ACE Team, developer of Zeno Clash™ and Rock of Ages™, today unveiled Zeno Clash II™, sequel to the award-winning indie first-person melee brawler, coming in 2013 to PC, Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PlayStation®Network for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

Building upon the daring visual design and gratifying first-person fisticuffs of the acclaimed original, Zeno Clash II is bigger, bolder, and better in every way. Zenozoik comes alive like never before, an open world waiting to be explored, one rendered with breathtaking splendor. As Ghat, players can fully and freely explore every natural and architectural wonder his world has to offer. In addition to most of the characters, enemies, and items from the first game-all of which return with dramatic visual enhancement-Ghat can also expect to encounter awe-inspiring new sights, jaw-dropping new creature designs, and wildly creative new weapons and items.

Beyond visuals, Zeno Clash II also dares to refine and add to its predecessor’s gameplay foundation for success. The game’s heralded first-person brawling mechanics are further refined, improving on the integral enemy “Lock-on” function as well as giving the player pinpoint control over where their strikes land. New RPG elements allow players to gain more strength, master defense, or improve in other areas in order to give Ghat and his companion Rimat a better chance of survival.

Lastly, and perhaps of the greatest excitement, the entire game can be experienced with drop-in/drop-out online cooperative multiplayer. Ghat can now be joined by his sister Rimat in battling past the angry denizens bent on stopping them from accomplishing their goal.

“The world of Zenozoik is one of wild dreams and wilder nightmares,” stated Andres Bordeu, co-founder of ACE Team. “This is part of the reason we are working on Zeno Clash II, to give players the opportunity to explore Zenozoik with a friend via online cooperative multiplayer, turning those moments of wonder and awe into a shared adventure. We will make certain that going back and forth between solo and cooperative play preserves the consistency and impact of the narrative experience, while still allowing friends easily drop in and out of the game’s fulfilling exploration and visceral melee combat.”

Zeno Clash II is scheduled to release in early 2013 on Xbox LIVE Arcade, PlayStation Store, and Steam. For more information, visit http://www.zenoclash2.com.

26. Hendar23 says:

Did nobody else notice the Atlus and think that was weird? As far as I know all they do (and do very well) is taking great games from Japan and releasing them to other markets.

• Jason Moyer says:

Didn’t they publish Zeno Clash and Rock Of Ages, as well?

27. Winged Nazgul says:

This might motivate me to play and finish the original.

Maybe…

tomeoftom says:

YEEEEEEEES

29. squareking says:

Great news! Also worth mentioning that Ace Team has the best logo in the industry.

30. Dances to Podcasts says:

I still have the original installed. I’m so incredibly bad at it, but it do play it every now and then simply because I love the world. :)

31. Sparkasaurusmex says:

I really wanted to like Zenoclash but I just couldn’t get into it. I thought the setting maybe suffered from a kind of weirdness for weirdness’ sake instead of weirdness as a result of unique creativity. Also, while the fighting was unique, I didn’t really find it all that fun.

32. Guhndahb says:

Sweet. And now I feel like playing through the original yet again! It was a great game.

This sounds a little closer to their original big plan before they trimmed it down to Zeno Clash. Which is a good thing.

Devan says:

Awesome; I’ll definitely be picking this up :)

34. Miltrivd says:

It’s rare to see my countrymen doing this well as game devs. Loved Zenoclash, wishing them the best on this sequel.

35. Zanchito says:

ACE are, along with Ice Pick Lodge, the most bizarrely creative teams out there. True artists.