Ah, Sanity: Far Cry 3 Dodging Ubi PC Delay

By Nathan Grayson on June 5th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Inspired by the events unfolding in this screenshot, I really hope I can throw empty ammo clips at enemies instead of wastefully casting them aside.

Good things come to those who wait. And admittedly, Assassin’s Creed II (and its assorted pseudo-sequels), Driver: San Francisco, and – based on what I’m hearing – Ghost Recon: Future Soldier are pretty solid, but were they worth the long, cold nights we endured in anticipation of their arrival? OK, yeah, probably. But the time-honored tradition that is the Ubidelay arguably serves little-to-no purpose, and much like its nearest cousin – an inflamed, seconds-from-bursting appendix – it’s a vestigial pain that needs to go. Fortunately, Far Cry 3 – at the very least – appears refreshingly willing to show it the door.

“I believe [it's launching day-and-date with console versions], because Far Cry has a huge PC fanbase,” lead writer Jeffrey Yohalem told RPS during a quick E3 exchange. “You know, I played Far Cry 1 on PC, and it’s definitely very close to my heart.”

“For me, personally, as a PC gamer, I want the same experience that console players are getting. What I found recently is that PC versions offer what they claim to be a better experience, but oftentimes it removes pieces of content from the console game. I don’t like that. To me, it should be the ultimate version of the game that’s on consoles, because it’s a more powerful platform.”

So then, that means September 4 in the US and September 6 EU. Meanwhile, Far Cry 3 also took center stage during both Ubisoft and Sony’s E3 press conferences last night, and those showings produced some rather ho-hum-looking four-player co-op (think Left 4 Dead, but with mean men and exploding bridges) and a very, er, revealing demo. Lives were lost, tribally tattooed breasts were fondled, etc. Yohalem, however, insists that it’s not purely about titillation.

“We put the player into situations where they expect things to happen in a certain way, because Jason is a 25-year-old from Los Angeles,” he explained. “It’s essentially the Western world’s view of what’s supposed to happen in a videogame… In our case, we saw all these tropes in games that have been so trodden – so ground-in – that players don’t even really think about them anymore. So that’s when a medium is ripe for an exploration of itself. So we basically turned the camera back in the direction of the creators and said, ‘OK, let’s make a game about games.’”

So, in theory, it’s an exploration – in some ways, nearly a parody – of how truly silly these games are. Will it actually succeed, though, or will it merely end up scraping the bottom of the same barrel as everyone else while shouting “No, no, you guys just don’t get it, obviously”? Here’s hoping for the former. In the meantime, though, there’s a new trailer cut together from footage of the E3 demo. Also, it’s slightly NSFW – though not quite as, er, in-your-face as the actual demo was.

, , .

1. InternetBatman says:

The effect of that trailer was severely diminished by the Gamestop Monkey Business DLC ad at the end.

2. McDan says:

All gametrailers thought was important about the Farcry 3 presentation: “Farcry 3 brings boobs, bows and explosions!” But it does look good.

3. Vraptor117 says:

FarCry 2 was an almost-amazing game that ended up as a colossal disappointment due to a complete lack of post-release support and content. I’ve yet to see anyone question the developers about that and I’m not about to be used like that again.

• Screamer says:

“FarCry 2 was an almost-amazing game”

WUT! It was absolutely terrible other than having lots of graphics. Any developer that thinks its ok for everyone to speak as if they are on ritalin just to save disc space, or having every single outpost re spawn as soon as you step away one feet from it really does not know what they are doing, or heard of play testing.

Steering clear of FarCry 3 until a Wot I think methinks

4. Godwhacker says:

I really hope the massive Fight Club-style plot twist they’re hinting at doesn’t turn out to be the exact same plot twist that was in Fight Club.

Sinomatic says:

You read my mind.

I hope that doesn’t mean anything.

• Godwhacker says:

Well I know I completed Diablo 3, but I can’t really remember anything about the experience apart from finding it hard to log in. Could it be…?

Monchberter says:

Yep, it looks very Fightpocaplypse Now. Club.

Er.

It also looks like it was made by a team who clearly loved Bulletstorm.

Chaz says:

You slowly come to your senses out of a fuzzy haze and realise you haven’t been playing Far Cry 3 at all. You’ve just been sat there staring at a blank screen made up from some cardboard and a piece of paper with an empty yoghurt pot in your hand. Your luxury flat paid for by your highflying job turns out to be a squalid furnitureless bedsit in a slum block, paid for by welfare and petty drug dealing. You turn to look at a small messy scattering of burnt tin foil and needle’s and your body begins to shake as it bottoms out of the massive narcotics rush it’s just endured.

• Fox89 says:

Hey hey hey! You’re breaking the first two rules!

Ubisoft decided against implementing similar rules due to the adverse effect it would have on marketing.

• Bungle says:

I heard him say “I am you, you are me” at the end of the trailer and decided I already know how it ends and don’t need to play the game now.

5. goatmonkey says:

“oftentimes it removes pieces of content ” Developer complaining about it only to be followed by a trailer that boasts retailer exclusive DLC, I feel a little sad but only because this is the only FPS I currently have any interest in (Dishonoured doesn’t count)

• Salt says:

I can’t think of any (moderately recent) games that have a PC version with content removed.

Am I terribly forgetful, or are they doing the equivalent of boldly stating that their brand of Frosted Flakes are arsenic free?

• El_Emmental says:

Jeffrey Yohalem is the lead writer of Far Cry 3, working at Ubisoft since 2008.

FC3 is his 4th (5th if you take into the account the short multiplayer cinematics of AssCreed Revelations) project in the video game industry.

He is not Ubisoft’s CEO.

He doesn’t own more than 0,001% of shares through the company mutual fund (known as FCPE).

Nearly 85% of shares are public, it means they are not privately owned by the Guillemot family (the founders and top executives of Ubisoft).

Now, do you really think he’s the one deciding if there will be exclusive DLCs or not ?

6. SoyBob says:

I’m hoping they go all the way with TV land stuff and turn the game into Persona 4.

• McDan says:

Now that would be great, teddy opens up to reveal… a tiger!

7. brkl says:

I don’t think they understand what a parody is. This seems more like a pastiche or a loving homage to stupid video games.

8. Auldreekie says:

“For me, personally, as a PC gamer, I want the same experience that console players are getting.”

No, Jeffrey Yohalem, that’s wrong.
    I am just shocked that this is even an issue, an original PC exclusive is now basically a console game. At least it will play like on consoles, QTE: Press Q to kill all enemies.

9. 12kill4 says:

post-modern self-reflexivity… they could have saved money on the writer and just hired a first year creative writing under-grad…

10. HoosTrax says:

This was poorly wordly and I’m sure a lot of readers did a double take and stopped reading immediately:

I think what he really meant is that the game content on the PC version should be the same as the console version, but the PC version should make use of the horsepower and provide the best rendition of that content. Certain Valve games as well as Dungeon Defenders have inferior console versions in terms of actual content being missing due to various reasons.

I wonder how he feels about the different versions of GRAW, which were fundamentally different games between the PC and console versions. Or how he feels about games like MP3 and Skyrim giving the PC version high-res textures and whether that fits into his scheme.

• deadly.by.design says:

Considering it’s Ubihard, I just assumed that it was some french guy, which explained any grammatical weirdness.

11. Belsameth says:

September? Plenty time for pushing back the PC release for “polish”

12. pi8you says:

The trailer’s awkward, but boy do I enjoy the shootiness in the FarCry games, this might be the game to get me to do a system refresh. Or not, depending on what Ubisoft does on the DRM side.

13. kikito says:

Poor tiger ;(

14. LordCraigus says:

Far Cry 2 was fun in parts but I’m crying out that this gets some support for mods.

15. lijenstina says:

Not to nitpick but that finger is too close to the notch of the AK magazine during reload. Someone’s going to get a finger booboo. :)

16. Yosharian says:

This game looks fucking awful, am I the only one who sees this? This is just call of dooty in a jungle.

17. coldvvvave says:

> tits

meh

> Bow with red dot sight

Ok, now I’m interested.

• Salt says:

That.. but.. how..
      It really does have a red dot sight on it. That’s hilarious. (0:53)

18. SirKicksalot says:

Far Cry 3 was confirmed to have improved graphics on PC: http://engineroom.ubi.com/wp-content/bigfiles/farcry3_drtv_lowres.pdf

19. Hoaxfish says:

Jungle is massive?

20. malkav11 says:

Ubisoft has promised day and date console/PC releases before and then mysteriously changed their minds when it came closer to release.

21. Dances to Podcasts says:

Someone should make a game where all the action has already happened and you only experience the aftermath. You track the ‘hero’ by simply following the trail of bullet casings, ammo magazines and corpses. Then, when you finally find him, teabagging the end boss, out of bullets, you arrest him and put him in jail.

• Grargh says:

That would be hilarious! But they already do social commentary in their game, don’t you see?

22. zagor says:

u can thank Diablo 3s success for it
    Now they see where the money is

23. Zarx says:

But have they dodged the Ubi DRM?

24. Chucrute says:

What annoys me is not only the fact the it comes later to PC, but also that they charge the same full price for it.

Full price means day zero access. Period. If the game is in the wild for weeks, it’s not fresh anymore, don’t charge me full price.