Medal of Honor: Worf Fighter Fights Some More War

By Alec Meer on June 5th, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Fight, Worf! Fight!

Here is a controversial statement: aubergines are horrible.

Here is another controversial statement: I don’t think there’s an upcoming videogame I’m less interested in than Danger Close’s Medal of Honor: Wharf-fighter. It’s not really its fault, or its developers’ fault. They’re taking advantage of commercial realities, and even if said commercial realities are deeply disappointing to any gamer with more than six brain cells to rub together it only makes sense for a large corporation to pander to them, I suppose. I personally am just so past caring about pretending to be a semi-contemporary soldier who repeatedly shoots men from other countries. Don’t mind me being all bitter-pants over here though. Have a look at the shootybangbang shoot shoot bang bang shoot bang shoot bang bang bang shoot shoot shoot bang bang shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot bang footage that came out of E3 below, if you must.

Multiplayer/Linkin Park making a wretched noise:

Singleplayer:

So, yeah. Many foreigners will die. Again. Well, at least we don’t also have a Homefront to endure this year.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. subedii says:

I don’t understand why you’re so upset. You get to play as Worf don’t you?

I mean sure he wasn’t all that good in Next Gen, but he really came into his own on DS9.

2. Sinomatic says:

WHARFACE?

3. diamondmx says:

If you’re bored of playing a semi-contemporary soldier who shoots people from other countries – why not ask them for a semi-contemporary soldier who shoots people from their own country?

We’ll call it Soldiers of Misfortune: Friendly Fire: Should have Gone to Specsavers: Apocalypse.

Of course, we’ll be releasing exclusive DLC 2 weeks before the game is finished to keep our greatest fans happy.

• subedii says:

I think that’s the setting for Spec-Ops: The Line.

Most of the upcoming shooters I can’t say I’ve had too much interest in, but an earlier preview in PCGamer put it on my radar as “something that sounds like it could be interesting if they implement it well”.

• Sweedums says:

I’d buy that.

• diamondmx says:

Okay, before I go starting a kickstarter – do you think it has enough sub-titles?

Also, I’m thinking of – for DLC purposes, since everyone loves it so much:
        * An online pass
        * An offline pass
        * A single player pass
        * A multiplayer pass
        * A subscription fee
        * All guns except the knife are microtransactions
        * The patch that makes the knife not bug out and stab yourself in the kidney is going to be our first ‘expansion’

Furthermore, since piracy is a real and current problem, I’m going to implement the ‘watchdog’ DRM system. The first truly effective DRM method, as the code for the game will never leave my office.
        If you purchase a licence to play the game at the store (commonly but incorrectly known as buying the game) – I will email you my address. You can schedule a play time on my PC. You cannot actually touch the controls (you dirty pirate, you), but you will be permitted to offer suggestions on which friendlies to shoot, and what slurs to throw at the bots you will be able to play with.

4. mpk says:

Surely Worf Fighter would just be a game where a succession of increasingly ludicrous enemies beat the shit out of Worf to prove how hard they are? Culminating in a boss battle where Worf is held down by two pre-schoolers while the rest of the nursery class take turns running up and trying to hit a field goal with his testicles?

• subedii says:

Or it should be the game where no matter what you say and what advice you give, no matter how reasonable, nobody cares.

• The Dark One says:

I’d rather see a DS9-era Worf game.

Play as an over-serious baseball outfielder!
        Fulfill your anti-social tendencies by moving your living quarters onto the Defiant!
        Beat the crap out of a stream of Jem’Hadar while stuck in an internment camp!
        Get jealous when the worm that used to be in your wife’s stomach is now interested in other people!
        Snap Jeffrey Combs’ smug neck!
        Defeat the Emperor in personal combat!

• Wichtel says:

That link made all the millions they spend making that game worth it :D

• Thirdstar says:

As much as I love both the character and the actor, Worf’s depiction in TNG is so terrible that it spawned a TVtropes entry in his honor. I’m glad DS9 happened.

5. TE_owner says:

Meh gameplay looks a little STILTED

6. Cytrom says:

That was even more boring and generic than the new cod. Business as usual for EA.

7. felisc says:

From now on every june 5th i’ll comment how much you are wrong about aubergines, until the end of my days.

8. NathanH says:

Obvious this is a game about a Georgie boxer battling his way to Olympic gold. Medal of Honor: Wor Fighter.

9. celozzip says:

is aubergine (or eggplant) a reference to worf being black???

i’m not sure i get your hilarious ‘joke’ alec…

10. jonfitt says:

Gosh that single player looked awful. Well, it looked extremely high quality, but the game itself was beyond boring.

• grundus says:

I’ve been saying that about pretty much everything I’ve seen from E3 so far, with the (extremely notable) exceptions of The Last Of Us, Watch Dogs and… Oh, there were others, but I forget. This, Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 at least (there were definitely more) look good but look boring.

11. shaydeeadi says:

It seems to have a lot of destruction in it going on that MP trailer, more than most of BF3.

12. Jay says:

“When people come up and tell me, ‘how can you possibly make another Call of Duty,’ I always tell them that I used to work for a company that every year had to figure out how to make a white shirt whiter,” Tippl said. “And [Procter & Gamble] have been doing that for 35 years with a product like Tide.”

Not strictly MoH-related, but never fails to go through my head every time I read anything about one of these.

13. j1yeon says:

I’m sure it’ll look terribly uninteresting for anyone who’s already bored of modern combat games in general, but I’m actually looking forward to it, as Medal of Honor 2010 was a pleasant surprise.

I barely ever finish single player campaigns, regardless of length… and I thoroughly enjoyed the campaign in MoH. That marks the only modern shooty mcshoot I ever actually finished.

Multiplayer was quite intense and a lot of fun. Calling down a cruise missile on the enemy team was great. I think part of the enjoyment stemmed from low-damage weaponry, which allowed more running around and being able to do well if you get your shots on target or maneuver around the maps properly, rather than the run-shoot-die-respawn grind that can happen in games with really high bullet damage.

• Jimbo says:

I enjoyed it too. Good beards.

• elmo.dudd says:

I didn’t try the MP, but yeah I actually enjoyed the campaign in the previous release. I found myself caring about the characters, and got a good sense of the desperation of combat.

• grundus says:

Agreed with you chaps. MOH 2010 was great precisely because it wasn’t about saving the world, it was about you soldering with other soldiers. I hoped, prayed and made sacrifices that this would be more of the same, but I failed, I’m so sorry. MOH all felt entirely plausible, except maybe for the unlikely Apache rescue bit, though I almost had genuine tears (my eyes were watering but I WASN’T CRYING) at that point because it reminded me I have friends in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces who are on the front lines right now (err, well, they were back when I played this) and it’s not impossible that they could face situations like that. Ok, so the infinitely respawning enemies coming from all directions who all look and sound the same and the fact that I died several times and came back kind of removed that emotional connection, but even so, I’ve never, ever felt emotional because of a game before, except maybe MGS4. This just looks like I’d be bored to tears instead!

Oh, and I played it the night after a Band of Brothers binge (consisting of a few episodes a night every night until the series was done), it really felt like an extension of the series in a weird way, like an interactive modern day version. It’s a shame it was as short as it was.

• Geen says:

Best Beard Physics of the Year award 2010.

14. Makariel says:

I was comfortably sitting in my chair, watching the livestream of the press conference and… fell asleep during the warfighter demo.

15. Jackablade says:

I’m confused. The first statement is objectively incorrect. Does that therefore mean that what follows it is also likewise false? There -are- other games that you care about less? Or that you’re genuinely interested in Warfighter? Given the factor by which Aubergines are not horrible, logically you would have to have a great desire to play this game.

Right? Help me out here.

16. ktbluear says:

The player was shot no less than 28 times within 3:20, or roughly once every 7 seconds.

Is it just me, or are these modern set games getting sillier and sillier?

• sneetch says:

I think those must have been camera flashes they can’t have been bullets… unless of course you play as Titanium Man the first super-powered soldier in the 2nd US Gunwarguys.

17. Toberoth says:

Blegh, watched a minute of the singleplayer trailer and stopped. That’s some shitty water they’ve got going there.

Graphical quibbles aside: Alec, I don’t want to sound critical because I love RPS with all my heart, but I’m not sure why you posted this. Personally I’d rather see RPS snub these big brainless shooters by not posting anything about them at all, seeing as they’re not exactly the favoured genre of the readership here. I appreciate you want to cover them for the portion of the readership that is interested in them, but they could surely get their information elsewhere, and leave RPS unclogged of this derivative shite.

18. Mman says:

I think the E3 demonstration of this finally broke me as far as modern day shooters go. I’ve seen literally every set-piece (guns and non-existent AI included) in it countless times before, with pretty much no twist on them whatsoever. When Half-Life came out it’s set-pieces were copied by everyone , but at least they mostly tried to put their own spin on things. Modern day shooter level design is practically plagiarism at this point.

19. Stranglove says:

Aubergines? more like Ewbergines! Am I right?

20. Zarunil says:

I’m clearly not in the market they are aiming for with these manshootery games, as they all seem the same to me. Perhaps I’m jaded from playing too many over the years. Every CoD / MoH / Clone of recent years only manages to get a ‘meh’ out of me, no matter how spectacular the graphics are. The gameplay seems identical, boring and without innovation.

21. JerreyRough says:

I’m only interested because I can play as CANADIANS.

22. The Hammer says:

I miss World War 2 games. They had class, something which the the current crop of exciteable but not exciting modern day-set shooters really haven’t got.

• Harlander says:

How can you miss WW2 games? They’re still making them

• The Hammer says:

Links?!

Wasn’t the last mainsteam single-player WW2 FPS game Brothers In Arms: Hell’s Highway? I guess you could suggest Wolfenstein, but it’s not exactly the Call of Duty/Medal Of Honor-alike I’m talking about.

I suppose there’s BiA: Furious 4, but that just looks grotesque.

23. sneetch says:

Although I quite liked the last Medal of Honour I was delighted at the lack of a “Follow” sign on those other soldiers, it’d be nice if you actually end up going first again.

24. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

I’d play the hell out of this game if it allowed you to go back in time and prevent Linking Park from ever being formed, as logically incoherent as this idea may be. Perhaps it’ll be in a DLC? You can do it, Medal of Honour guys.

25. MeestaNob says:

That single player video was awful.

Visually it looks good, maybe great, but the gameplay is just the same garbage as always. You play a bulletsponge with vampire-like instant-healing powers, you are lead around by ineffectual yet impervious AI buddy(s), you go ‘covertly infiltrate’ a base by making as much noise as possible and ‘then’ things go a bit pear shaped.

And I still don’t know why they resurrected the Medal of Honour name for these games.

Whatever.

And the enemy snipers irritate you with full length mirrors before shooting you.

26. Silversun says:

I recently watched the gameplay demo for The Last of Us and was a little miffed when Kane/Nathan/Sam fisher or whoever he is gets shot two or three times and it doesn’t seem to phase him all that much.

I let that slide though as the was a little chatter in game about it and judging by his health bar he couldn’t take many shots at all.

That said, the SP trailer blew my mind. He just keeps getting shot and shot, complete with more blood splatter than one could possibly spurt out. How do people enjoy this? I like being punished for getting injured – it makes it more entertaining NOT trying to get yourself shot surely?

This is well over my simple head.

• ffordesoon says:

My favorite part was that the other guy was crouched, so (I’d imagine) you can crouch. But no, the guy playing just walks through the bullets. It’s almost like he (she?) was trying to warn us how dumb the game is.

I still say they should have scrapped BulletStorm entirely and made a full game out of Duty Calls.

27. elmo.dudd says:

So I recall other marketing campaigns for this (and the background showing the various flags and the world map highlighting all the different special ops organizations) showing it as a world wide war against specific terrorist groups (as the original made no bones against it being a fight against the Taliban and Al Qaeda) who are present throughout the globe. So uh, yeah Alec, lots of foreigners will die, because every person in it is a foreigner to the rest of the cast. Indonesians are foreign to Koreans, Americans are foreign to the British, Pakistanis are foreign to the Chinese – it certainly isn’t “America Versus The World” as you seem so eager to call it, and then quickly dismiss it.

• theleif says:

And I’m sure the game will let you play as a Pakistani officer or an Indonesian spec ops, right? I would bet several money thingies that you only play as an American “Tier 1″ soldier. Maybe you start the campaign with a failed British operation. Maybe.

• elmo.dudd says:

Well according to the developers the game focuses on 12 Tier 1 groups covering 10 nations. I can’t make it out clearly in the map shown in the single player video, but it looks like America, Canada, and much of Europe is represented. But I’m sure the British are just Americans in disguise so they can better perpetrate their ethnic cleansing.

Yes the previous Medal of Honor had you playing only as American soldiers, but probably because it concerned a geographically very small area, focusing on a specific group of guys, all in the American military.

So on the note “Maybe you start the campaign with a failed British operation. Maybe.”, it would be a change of pace from recent Call of Duty games where the American’s screw up each major operation (sometimes making it substantially worse) through misapplication of brute force, while the British send in specialists that elegantly save the world time and time again.

Actually thinking about Call of Duty more, the only recent one where you play only as an American is Black Ops, because it follows a specific protagonist’s experience rather than moving between characters in a larger conflict – the core of the game is his inner conflict, when is he operating of his own will, versus brainwashing, who is real and who is imagined, the game is focused on the battle for his mind through the high stakes scenario of military combat circling the specter of biological warfare.

• Shooop says:

What he doesn’t like is it’s just like every military-themed FPS he’s seen the past 4-5 years. What you see is what you get with Activision’s and now EA’s shooters: follow bulletproof teammates to places while shooting people who you can only tell are your enemies because they’re between you and the exit and they yell at you in other languages.

It lacks anything to differentiate it from anything else. Except awesome beards.

• elmo.dudd says:

Which is fine, its just parting comments of “So, yeah. Many foreigners will die. Again.” is a bit disingenuous to the game, and could be just as easily applied to any other game which has a combat mechanic with a defeat condition of death for participants.

28. Nallen says:

I like the part where he gets shot over and over again and nothing happens. Makes it very tense.

29. Gandaf007 says:

I think I might be the only one on the face of the earth who enjoyed Homefront.

It’s my guilty pleasure.

30. ffordesoon says:

If only those graphics were in support of something that wasn’t insultingly stupid.

31. 0over0 says:

Another one of those alternate universe games, I see–you know, that universe in which the computers run things and people are the NPCs. I see the computer telling the player to go here, do this, go there, do that, stand here, shoot there, hold that, etc. Even opening the door was done by the computer, which graciously accepted our idea of how to do it, but only after checking the lock, first.
    I had to wonder, what if it had just been locked and there was no way through and everyone went home? Now that might make for a cool game.

Anyway, I guess at least we still have the final say on shutting the game down. Or, maybe, not even purchasing it in the first place….

32. lurkalisk says:

“So, yeah. Many foreigners will die. Again.”

I don’t think I understand. Foreign relative to whom? The Norwegians, Americans, Russians, Germans, Swedish, Canadians, Polish, Australians, British, S. Koreans…? That sounds like a sentence written for a game where you play only as some American marine.

Frankly, if my interest in military shooters hadn’t waned so dramatically over the past few years, this might look a little better than average.

33. MrEvilGuy says:

Am I the only one who actually believed this was a game starring Worf and was horribly disappointed when I realized it was merely a joke?

34. AlexanderMangel says:

I’ve seen so many Arab’s get shot in all these E3 trailers I would feel pretty damn strange (to say the least) seeing these trailers if I came from that region. I hope the Chinese start developing some five different AAA IPs about shooting Americans, get us popcorn some while we watch the outrage.

35. The Hammer says:

True. I should probably get that game.

But the x-ray kills put me off.

36. smg77 says:

You can turn off the x-ray kills but you shouldn’t since they are the best part of the game.

37. Shooop says:

You can disable them in options. One thing Rebellion deserves praise for is the abundance of options for difficulty, graphics, and gameplay.

But I’d recommend watching a few of them, as they’re surprisingly well done – I myself was very skeptical of them at first. They really do a great job of showing you just how devastating it is to be shot.

Comment on this story