Agni’s Philosophy: Square’s Final Graphics Fantasy

By Alec Meer on June 6th, 2012 at 4:00 pm.

INDIVIDUAL BEARD HAIR FOLLICLE RENDERING

There’s a very good chance this will prove to be entirely irrelevant in time, given this is a blog about Spectrum Amiga board foot-to-ball PC gaming, but I post it as an honest point of curiosity as well as due to the potential that a Square-Enix internal studio might use it for something like a Deus Ex or Hitman or Thief or Sleeping Dogs or something further down the line. Real-time tech demo Agni’s Philosophy is intended to demonstrate Squeenix’s next-generation engine, which will most likely be used for a hiss, spit Final Fantasy game for whatever the next round of consoleboxes turns out to be. It’s impressive stuff for sure, even if it’s transparently impossible that a properly interactive game with hours of content cannot possibly look anywhere near as strong and detailed as this regardless of what graphicsability future-consoles and PCs might have. The idea that we might get anywhere near it is enticing though, most especially because the hair rendering could mean some incredibly convincing beards. Beards are what PC gaming is all about, after all.

So, yeah. Very pretty. As I understand it, it was rendered on a PC, but like I say, may never actually wind up on PC (though as all the big pubs seem to be taking this platform a bit more seriously even if they won’t acknowledge it in the cheese’n'blood orgasms that are their E3 conferences, it’s not as impossible as once was that future Final Fantasies drag their over-written, achingly earnest frames this way) but if nothing else it’s good to know what a big publisher believes is possible from current/near-future graphics hardware.

More pics here.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. ekuurh says:

pretty :)

2. WMain00 says:

CGI is indeed a pretty thing.

I don’t believe for one minute this was done using “realtime” technology.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

And you’d be wrong, it’s real-time.

• simoroth says:

“Real-time” is a messy word and it tells you nothing. Much like Intels “Real-time” Id Tech raytraced videos that run at 15 FPS on twenty octocore machines.

Is the lighting baked?

The ambient occlusion?

Is the cloth sim precalced?

Are the physics baked?

Is the hair just a massive lump of bandwidth murdering geometry data?

How much of that is a matte painting?(answer btw is lots)

How much are normal-lit imposter billboards?

This is just a silly marketing video. Much like the ridiculous videos that got banded about before the 360 came out and the Xbox before it.

Also, to me it doesn’t actually look very good , but then that might just be the FF style that I despise…

• Valvarexart says:

Eh it’s still real-time. It’s not a CGI.

• simoroth says:

Eh? CGI means computer generated images.

There is no longer a gap between film quality rendered graphics and game stuff. Its all the same tech, always has been, just at different fidelity, over different time scales and hardware.

In my point above I’m pointing out that a lot of the data can be preprepared which would make the term “Real-time” misleading.

Playing back an Avi file also happens in real-time too. ;)

• slight says:

“all the same tech”

Nonsense, pre-rendered stuff uses different rendering techniques. Show me a game using real time path tracing :)

• SlappyBag says:

This man knows what hes talking about. Its in such a controlled environment that although “real-time” it doesn’t actually represent game-play graphics at all.

This sort of stuff would be great for cut-scenes and the like I guess.

Theres some cool stuff in there like the hair rendering, and as time goes on things like that will be refined to a point where they will be possible.

To be honest though we’ve came to the stage where we can pretty much do most things, or are on the verge of doing most things but how much does it cost to produce a game with this level of graphics across the board? The next gen Call of Duty might be one of the few games to get that treatment because its so big of a franchise, but then again they knock them out every year so do they even have the time?

• DrGonzo says:

Those ridiculous promos do usually end up being achieved though at some point in the consoles life cycle. This is them showing us what they intend their game to look like. It may use some cheating, but you can get away with that in a Final Fantasy game where your walking down an invisible straight corridor pressing a over and over again for 150 hours.

• Sir-Lucius says:

Not to mention the fact that when you start throwing in things like AI, sound, scripts, physics, and other gameplay elements you’re engine starts to come to a crawl. I think a lot of people would be amazed at the kind of visuals you’re able to get out of current generation engines when all you need to worry about pushing “real-time” is polygons. Polygons and texture resolution by themselves aren’t a problem. It’s all the game-y stuff combined with lots of polys and textures that cause issues.

The video is certainly not pre-rendered in the sense that it took a couple of machines several hours/days to render out an image sequence. But I’m also very doubtful that it is very representative of the kind of graphical quality you could expect in an actual, functioning game.

• Chufty says:

Gameplay elements such as inputs and HUD rendering have such a minimal impact on render time that it’s irrelevant. This realtime demo will be heavily scripted, which has a much bigger overhead than input capturing, but it’s still only a tiny fraction of the frame budget.

Sounds are being played in the demo already, so that’s not relevant either. Realtime physics are likely also at play here, particularly in the particle engine.

The only really taxing aspect of gameplay that is not involved in this demo is AI and similar gameplay routines. That can vary wildly depending on the game itself; many games barely need any AI at all, and a multiplayer game might need none.

So I don’t think that you can say this is too far off the mark. I’d give it 5 years maximum before games look this good.

• Scandalon says:

None of your questions are relevant, the only question that matters is, is what was shown in the video “played back” in realtime. (You can move the camera and view the action from any position/angle in 3d space.) The shakycam video linked above says yes. Are there shortcuts and tricks? Of course. Raytracing is a trick/shortcut. Doom used 2d sprites, but it was realtime. Are they running it on cutting-edge, impractical to purchase hardware? Probably, but still irrelevant. Unless your definition is “every sub-atomic particle quantum state of every photon/wave is simulated, and runs on my Core i5 with my single Radeon 6950″ then yes, it’s realtime.

• simoroth says:

Actually it doesn’t show that.

It shows their renderer linked up to Maya via a network link rendering a single character at semi interactive rates.

“Unless your definition is “every sub-atomic particle quantum state of every photon/wave is simulated, and runs on my Core i5 with my single Radeon 6950″ ”

Thats not my definition. Not at all. My point is, if you moved the camera in any of those scenes the effects would fall apart. It’s beyond “cheating”. You couldn’t add a character or gameplay. Its all precomputed data being pumped through a graphics pipeline. That’s not a real time game engine.

• Gnoupi says:

Oh the “realtime” part is not the problem. The problem is to know the machine which is running it realtime.

• bglamb says:

Whatever cleverbox is running that today will be in your house for £500 in 5 years.

• Valvarexart says:

Remember; the next xbox supposedly has a 6670, so I would say more like 20 years.

• Xardas Kane says:

Actually that was the PS Orbis, and everyone bitched and whined so much they changed to a 7900. Seriously, all third party publishers complained about the PS4 not being as powerful as the Xbox Double Circle thing, which will be using two GTX 460s.

• Valvarexart says:

Source on that, Xardas? :O

• roryok says:

you’re right. And five years from now, games will still have cutscenes like this one. But GAMEPLAY can’t and won’t look like this. Ever.

• Brun says:

I don’t understand how anyone can believe that. Twenty years ago people probably thought games would never look like they do today.

• roryok says:

I fully believe that game engines will have the same level of detail and photorealism that this video has, but everything in this video is a cut scene. At what point could you control any of the characters in it? Go back and watch it again and tell me what part would have interactivity. If this is a game, who do you play? And where?

You’re not the old man squinting. You’re not driving the truck. You’re not the guy doing the ritual, or the dudes with the AKs. It has to be the girl.

So what do you do then? You’re not frying the AK dudes with lightning, since your only point of view is staring at your own face.

When she runs across rooftops it changes camera once per second. I’d get really fucking annoyed (not to mention dead) really quick if I was controlling that. What then?

“Press X to turn coke into healing fluid and pour it on arm”

“Press Y to climb onto dragon”

No part of it is a game. It’s all a big cut scene. Granted it could go seamlessly into a flying sequence on the back of a dragon or something but that’s not in the video

• Brun says:

Your comment was specifically about the graphical fidelity of the scene (“GAMEPLAY can’t and won’t look like this. Ever.”). My point was that in fact, it is a near certainty that in some point in the future, gameplay sequences will reach that level of fidelity.

• Syra says:

I’m with roryok, it looks like a mess to play. LOOKS LIKE. See.

• roryok says:

Brun, my point is that the visual fidelity is artificially enhanced by the use of perspectives, editing etc which will never be possible in gameplay. If all of this action was shown from, for example, a 3rd person perspective centering around the girl in the video, it would not look nearly so impressive.

• Reefpirate says:

I don’t know a whole lot about this stuff… But I figured something like this could be easily pre-rendered at 1 frame every 15 minutes, you save the stack of images that get outputted and then you play them back in succession afterwards like a flip-book.

And then it gets messy when you try to make it render stuff on the fly.

• skinlo says:

Thats how Pixar films are made, they render a frame at a time then just play them back. Thats not real time processing however, and this apparently is.

3. Dreamhacker says:

Spectrum? Is that one of the 1950′s IBM mainframes?

4. eroticfishcake says:

Saw it earlier and all I thought was; “TOO MUCH SHAKYCAM!”

5. Dana says:

Oh look. An FMV.

6. Ultra Superior says:

It looks very stupidly. My heart aches knowing such talent, such work and art is being wasted on stupid shitty things like this.

• Ultra Superior says:

But then, I am the first to support Square Enix as long as Deus Ex and Thief are being produced there.
      Sleeping Dogs look pretty amazing too.

• rapier17 says:

That was Eidos Montreal, not Square Enix – Square Enix acquired the studio less than a year before DE:HR was released and, according to an interview I read at the time in Games tm (I worked in a WH Smith and had a lot of free time at weekends to read magazines) Square Enix didn’t want to interfere with the production of DE:HR. There is no guarantee they will not interfere with the next Deus Ex or with Thief 4 so no guarantee on the potential quality on either of those games.
        BUT!, as a friend has just pointed out to me, they seem to know not to mess with their own IPs so hopefully they won’t mess around with either IP (DE & Thief that is).

• Ultra Superior says:

Let’s hope. I also loved Just Cause 2 so that’s maybe another IP in their hands.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Yes, yes, artists and technical virtuosos creating something beautiful that pushes technology… how stupid and shitty of them. Granted, I care nothing for Final Fantasy though I cannot wait to see more Deus Ex and Thief, but your statement is far stupider and shittier than any interpretation of this demonstration.

• Ultra Superior says:

Yeah sorry I don’t find fake nonsense summoning rituals in superficial trope-world with magic 16 yo manga girls smart and classy. I merely wish this caliber of technology and artistic skill has been applied to something a bit tastier or at least a bit more meaningful.

• Orija says:

Every time that bitch made that obnoxious, child-like whimper, a bit of my soul drifted off to hell.

• Grygus says:

We are so fortunate to have you here to inform us which works of art are meaningful. Since the entire spectrum of experience can only be reasonably filtered through your experiences, a lot of us would choose incorrectly without your expert guidance. Thank you for this free service.

• Ultra Superior says:

Don’t worry I’m not forcing you to not like it.

When you subtract the tech you get a very mediocre cutscene in a bad videogame or a really bad B-movie. If you don’t see that, good for you.

• sirdavies says:

This is a tech demo. It doesn’t have to be meaningful or anything like that, it has to be visually impressive, and I think it does that well.

• Valvarexart says:

What do you mean? It looks amazing. It’s not like this is what they are going to make a game about. Or it might be, and if that is the case then consider me sold. I’ll even get one of those fancy gamecube playbox console things for it.

• Ultra Superior says:

It looks amazing! Visually and technologically stunning – that’s why I wonder why they wasted so much potential on that …. script.

• Grygus says:

Well… given that it is a tech demo, one of those things is the point, and the other one isn’t. They’re not trying to sell you a game or story, they’re showing off tech. In this, they succeeded. Perhaps it is your expectations that are ridiculous.

• Ultra Superior says:

I had no expectations.

• dazman76 says:

Expectations or otherwise, it’s a tech demo – that isn’t the same as a game demo. Therefore, everything apart from the tech is irrelevant. Still, this is Square we’re talking about – since when has solid narrative been their cornerstone? :) I love several of the FF games, but that comes with a giant pinch of salt and large amounts of frustration regardless – but some of those games are genuinely special, if you can stand the crap.

But still – we should at least agree that it’s a tech demo :)

7. Squirrelfanatic says:

It was about time the Vatican took up the fight with the terrorists.

• roryok says:

Yeah, the vatican fairly kicks ass. If by kick you mean molest. and by ass you mean children.

• Ultra Superior says:

You’ll burn in hell.

Unless you repent, my gentle little boy….

• dazman76 says:

On this one, my vote would be with the Spanish Inquisition. No terrorist could withstand the comfy chair.

8. byteCrunch says:

I actually do not think this is all that impressive, from a technical standpoint.

• Cytrom says:

Yeah, the art is definitely amazing and I’m sure they spent a ridiculous amount of time making it, but with the exception of the real time hair rendering there wasn’t much that we haven’t seen already in tech demos and current (top end) game engines. PCs of today can handle that level of detail, if there is an artist willing to create that level of detail… still very impressive, non the less.

• Somerled says:

Squeenix could spend zero hours acquiring art if they needed. They must have such a huge back catalog of art assets from their many projects. Pick scene A, character B, mocap C, special effect D, haphazardly mix together, place in a new (unnecessary) engine and bake on ultra for 0.02 seconds, serve and forget/regret.

9. mLocke says:

“この映像がハイエンドPC上で動作するリアルタイム映像であることは紛れもない事実です。”

From the Japanese website for this realtime techdemo, says that this was made for and on a high end PC.

On the note of next gen consoles, Sony is consolidating the group into a single company, and the Vita is a massive failure. XB360 is sitting pretty being the media king of living rooms and Wii U is gonna try to break into the market with controllers that have a battery life of two hours. Seems SquareEnix is looking to get out while the getting is good.

10. westyfield says:

Is it ‘hourly news update day’ on RPS or something?

11. Jraptor59 says:

I liked Samaritan better. It’s probably good for the consoles walk 3 paces, enter cutscene though.

12. misterT0AST says:

I hope that someday they’ll have a main character more than 19 years old, maybe with some facial features different from smooth-white-perfectly shaped-standardized face.
    Mark my words: someday the protagonist of Final Fantasy will have glasses, a big moustache, a long nose, or some missing teeth.

• Llewyn says:

The last one would have done, but I turned them down.

• emorium says:

i will settle for any character that actually looks like a man tbh.

• wssw4000 says:

Cloud was 21, Squall had a scar across his face.

Anyway that’s the kind of character the Japanese like I suppose, just as Americans like brown haired generically handsome late twenties – early thirties protagonists.

edit: Oh and Basch from FF12.

13. GreatGreyBeast says:

Thought that was about to turn into a Coca-Cola ad for a second there..

14. smoke.tetsu says:

Yeah they say this engine is for a range of platforms including PC but I highly doubt they are going to bring their latest single player JRPG to it. I wouldn’t put it past them to just use PC for prototyping and development and not ship the actual game on it.

Besides, the last SP Final Fantasy game that came to the PC that I know of is FF8. So at this point there’s no reason for us to get excited over this.

15. theloz says:

So this is running on the Intel HD Graphics 4000? Impressive…

16. Valvarexart says:

Am I the only one who really likes the setting? High fantasy meets the CoD-clone setting (terrorists in Afghanistan) sounds quite alluring.

• roryok says:

Afghanistan sure got some big buildings.

But yes.

• MordeaniisChaos says:

I know my recruiter has me climbing thousands of flights of stairs, so it must be in preparation for such tall buildings!

17. roryok says:

Regardless of it being real-time, it’s all scripted. Great news if you want to make an animated TV show and save on rendering time, but doesn’t make much difference to games

18. MuscleHorse says:

Square have a history of showing off very impressive looking demos and then releasing a game that looks nothing like it. They did something similar with a reworked scene from FF8 to showcase the PS2. Nothing they released was even close.

• Daniel Carvalho says:

They did that with Final Fantasy XIII, and now I just don’t believe them. Anyone can release a CGI FMV and claim it’s real-time.

The key edge-pushing video game tech companies are in the US (id Software, Epic), or Germany (Crytek), which further uploads my skepticism.

19. emptee says:

it is just me or does the amount of frikin details in this thing acutaly make it look worse then it should…

20. Tiguh says:

I thought it was the facial animations that made this so good. All those little twitches etc. Can’t remember seeing that done so well before, and I would’ve thought that you could do clevers like that on current tech, if you wanted to. N’est pas?

• Salt says:

You’re quite right, by far the greatest impact on pretty graphics today is animation quality and design neither of which have much requirement for plugging in four graphics cards.

On a technical level the fancy things are “bokeh” effects on the glowing particles making them blur as glowing circles when out of focus (seen lots in CryEngine3), and the hair which is getting close to looking like at least certain types of real hair.

• Tiguh says:

Well said, especially about design. That was (of course) where Bioshock succeeded.

By the way, are you saying that that man’s beard looks like pubes?

• LTK says:

The beard hair in the demo waves and bounces like you would expect head hair (washed and conditioned head hair) to. So I’d say that man’s beard doesn’t look enough like pubes.

21. Bhazor says:

Final Fantasy has been crap for a while.
    Yet some of the JRPGs Squeenix make that aren’t attached to Final Fantasy have been great. Just look at Nier or The World Ends With You for example.

The really confusing part is that the Final Fantasy series has no overarching plot or single IP. Yet they release crap games under the name of their most loved franchise and excellent games get released with no fanfare and vanish into obscurity. I really don’t get it.

• smoke.tetsu says:

And none of those made it to the PC so it’s no never mind to this site. Sure they brought The Last Remnant to the PC but I have little reason to believe anything for PC is going to come of this. Good or not they just don’t do PC games very often… especially not for anything FF single player.

• AlwaysRight says:

NIER!!!

…that is all.

• noodlecake says:

I really liked VII, VIII, IX and X. I don’t understand die hard fans hating the ones from the VII onwards. I played through VI to the end and all the characters felt unbelievably shallow in comparison to the later ones. It was still fun though.

• Deadly Sinner says:

FFXII was amazing. Far better than anything VII on.

22. GallonOfAlan says:

Remember a couple of years back when the term ‘bullshot’ was doing the rounds?

Just saying, like.

23. Bweahns says:

Sports drinks have nutrients.

24. D3xter says:

Thing is, games could be looking similar to this on PC right now on the “Very High” setting.
    Yet what we are getting are corridor-shooters and Call of Duty/Medal of Honor/Assassin’s Creed/Whatever sequels since the GPUs and RAM consoles have largely restrict what can be shown on screen and how large a level can be on 512 or even 256MB of dedicated graphics RAM… it’s getting ridiculous.
    The move from Crysis being a huge Open World game to a corridor shooter for instance was largely due to that, CryTeks CEO even admitted it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVsT4D2_VTI

Another thing that’s interesting to note about this Tech Demo is that they are apparently using a Middleware called “YEBIS2″ for Post Processing Effects, which is the first I’ve heard of a MiddleWare for that, as far as I know Post Processing and similar is still all “hand made” and a multiple step process in the likes of Battlefield 3, it would make the life of a Leveldesigner working on something like this a lot easier: http://www.siliconstudio.co.jp/middleware/yebis/jp/

25. Teronfel says:

Dat beard.

26. Hoaxfish says:

Honestly, I was thinking the guys with the guns were supposed to be the heroes… fighting a sinister cult of JRPG cliches summoning a big demon. Clearly I was wrong because it’s okay to summon demons if you’re a pretty girl.

• LTK says:

Hey, just because the action focuses on the pretty little sorceress doesn’t mean she’s not evil. Both sides may have perfectly good reasons for summoning a dragon back from the dead or preventing this from happening. Sadly, since this doesn’t have an actual overarching narrative, it’s completely irrelevant.

27. ukpanik says:

Camera movement vexed me. I’m terribly vexed.

28. elevown says:

‘even if it’s transparently impossible that a properly interactive game with hours of content CANNOT possibly look anywhere near as strong and detailed as this’

Whats with the dumb double negative? Change the cannot to CAN and drop the possibly so it reads properly.

29. Brainkite says:

I wonder if it will be real-time on my iPhone 4S…

30. Mordsung says:

JRPGs:

Games where you get to play dudes who look like girls.

It’s kind of fascinating. Us westerners get a lot of our heroic imagery from the Greeks, so big strong guys that emulate the Hercules look are our heroes. Our heroes are big, handsome, muscular, strong, very manly with square jaws and beards. Our villains are often brainy, physically weaker, and less manly.

Yet the easterners are almost completely opposite. Their heroes are young boys and girls, and even the boys are often extremely effeminate and, oddly enough, their villains are usually the more masculine figures in the story.

I think this could be why a lot of westerners end up digging Final Fantasy villains more than the heroes.

• Hoaxfish says:

Where does Indiana Jones fit in there?

• Mordsung says:

Harrison Ford, at the time, was in fairly good shape, has a very square jaw-line, and was portrayed as being quite manly and athletic on top of his intellect as the Indiana Jones character.

Not ALL our western heroes fit the 80′s muscle bound meat head stereotype, but it is very atypical for western heroes to not be very masculine and athletic.

• LTK says:

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things is currently ‘covering’ exactly this subject, it seems.

Not sure why you felt it necessary to point this out, though. I didn’t see any androgynous boys in the above demo.

31. Yosharian says:

MOAR SHAKY CAM

32. Ross Angus says:

You know what too much beard leads to? That’s right: WARFACE.

33. S Jay says:

Nice movie. When is it in the theaters?

34. Maldomel says:

Impressive, even though I don’t think we’ll see that level of details soon in our cut scenes, computer or not.

Now, did the character use a coca-cola bottle as a potion of some sort? I hate when they do that.

35. Tei says:

This is pretty. I like it. A good CGI is a good way to start my interest in a game. I say this world looks fun to theme a videogame.

The title sounds too much like Ignys Phylosophy, and with dragons any other name would be wrong.

36. Jamesworkshop says:

Beards are what PC gaming is all about, after all.

Damn it, If only they didn’t shoot Bin Laden I could have learned his secret.

I’m gonna have to stalk ZZ Top and find out what PC games they play to inspire their mighty beard growth.

????

Profit

37. noodlecake says:

Hiss Spit!? More like “Final Fantasy, When are we getting a PC version!?”. Bloody anal PC gamers ruining PC gaming for everyone. I would much rather have had a PC version of Final Fantasy XIII than Dragon Age: Origins.

38. onodera says:

I find it amusing that even in a completely different world AK is still the terrorists’ favourite gun.

39. lowprices says:

Well that’s just silly. Summoning a giant, fabulously-decorated dragon to fight for you in a cramped alleyway is extremely impractical.

40. Fox89 says:

As a lover of both Final Fantasy and very pretty things, I enjoyed this demo very much. I’m also glad they had the sense to do something completely stand-alone this time, rather than the PS3 tech demo that has had the entire fanbase begging for a FFVII remake for the last 6 years.

Could I imagine this level of graphical fidelity and direction in real-time cutscenes? Not quite… not with the coming generation of hardware. But you know Squeenix managed to get ‘not-too-far-away’ from what they set out to accomplish in the PS3 tech demo. If they can do something similar here then the result will be pretty spectacular.

41. Daniel Carvalho says:

What bollocks. Square-Enix used up its last life when they last claimed the first footage of Final Fantasy XIII was “in-game”, and then when we actually got to see the game, it turned out not to be true. That our first assumptions of the footage just being classic Squaresoft CG FMV, was in fact, just that. I also don’t remember Square-Enix ever admitting that either. I guess they just hoped it would go unnoticed. They can come tug my chain when they have a game to show, right now, this is just speculative eye-candy.

• Walter Heisenberg says:

Not only that the actual gameplay of it was simplified and streamlined into the most boring thing imaginable, levels were straight linear lines with no real towns to speak of because they couldn’t devout resources to making a open game with the level of graphics of the linear parts so they scrapped them entirely Square’s Philosophy is a dead end road that does nothing to further this medium.
      The bloodletting next generation will be massive if they all want or are pressured to make games that look like actual or near CG, look at how brutal this generation has been to a great deal of them.

42. malkav11 says:

Remember that FFVII and FFVIII did come to PC, back in the day. And they’ve acquired Eidos and released (of all things) The Last Remnant for PC since then, so even though current generation Final Fantasies haven’t made it to PC (MMOs notwithstanding), it’s not out of the question that next-gen FF games might.

I mean, I’m not holding my breath or anything, and it’s unclear how much I would care (I loved VII, VIII, X and Tactics, respect IX, and am having a pretty good time currently with XII, but people seem pretty down on XIII and XIII-2), but it’s conceivable.

• smoke.tetsu says:

Yeah I know all that but still more FF games did not come to the PC than did and quite a few where even sony exclusive to boot IIRC. So I’m not holding my breath and I’m keeping a skeptical mind about this until further notice.

43. Pointless Puppies says:

Gotta love the responses here. For years PC gamers are clamoring for more demanding engines that do justice to our rigs, but hey, let’s all pile the hate on this amazing-looking tech demo because it’s from SQUARE! BOO! HISS!

44. rockman29 says:

Too bad Final Fantasy sucks donkey balls now…

45. Mikkoeronen says:

It’s all nice and tandy that they push real time stuff forward. My biggest issue with this however is that what actually could be used while playing games and what in cut-scenes. This is because in cut-scenes it would not matter if it was pre-rendered video or real-time graphics unless you actually can interact with the material.

It’s good for eye-candy but game industry has always been flooded with pre-shown material of a game that looks something totally different from it’s trailer/cut-scene materials. Mmo’s are sadly doing this all the time with their massive pretty CGI trailers and then ending up just some low poly click-click grind-fest.

There are times however when a game actually comes close to it’s promotional material. ID Software has done a good job on that, too bad the games don’t do justice to the graphics in those products.

Instead of pushing the eye-candy forward all the time, I think they should find a “golden mid-road” where you have a good solid graphics to support games and you could use more hardware resources on actual game content.

When I look at Half-Life 2 and it’s latter episodes. I think of myself, I have enough good graphics here even for this date. I don’t care how round the boobs are.

Also I find it funny how every character usually looks the same in most cut-scene videos between products, be it real-time or CGI. They could put some more “heart” to that.

46. int says:

Final Favelantasy?

47. marsilainen says:

I like how “light” it looked. Definitely more impressive than crytek’s or epic’s tech demos.