Dead Island: Riptide Is Coming For Your Brains

By Jim Rossignol on June 6th, 2012 at 11:00 am.

Oops.
Techland’s zombie game Dead Island sold especially well, so it’s hardly surprising that a sequel should have appeared on the RPS long-distance radar so quickly. There’s no information aside from the name and confirmation that it exists, (thanks VG247) but I sense this will please those of you who enjoyed the original tropical island undeath. Full details will appear in the summer, and I’m hoping to see more surfing zombies, perhaps some zombie scuba action?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Siegfried says:

Here’s hoping Deep Silver release more news about their more Obscure but more dedicated titles
    cough******** cough*********** X Reunion

2. sneetch says:

• xavdeman says:

I’m hoping they fix the goddamn LAN disconnect / crash issues with Dead Island 1.

• Alexander Norris says:

Fortunately, you can mod the weapon durability to a more reasonable level.

• Haborym says:

I didn’t mind the levels so much. I just wanted enough skill points to max out everything.

• Chris D says:

The levels, as with most loot-based RPGs, are basically an excuse to keep you looking for more weapons rather than keeping the first decent one you find. The way they’re handled could use a bit of tweaking though.

Such as how experience from challenges carry from one character to another, meaning that when I tried out another character they jumped seven levels in one go making all of their weapons entirely useless.

• IntelliMoo says:

> “I’m hoping they drop the levels altogether but you still gain and use XP to unlock skills, make weapons last a lot longer and cheaper to repair, and make guns viable against zombies.”

So in other words, dumb the game down to make it a lot easier? lol

• RegisteredUser says:

Making weapons not break is not dumbing down; its convenient.
        At worst, its something that makes it “easier”, because you aren’t constantly losing your best weapon, but the truth is all you’d then really do is constantly run to the workbench to repair it anyhow, just costing you nerves and time, not difficulty or challenge.
        People / devs mistake convenience and actual challenge quite a lot these days in my opinion.

• RegisteredUser says:

You could already mod and adjust the weapons to be really hassle free and awesome as it is.

3. Turbobutts says:

Please remove the level scaling!

4. felisc says:

I enjoyed dead island but i’m not thrilled about a sequel. Good game, no real personnality though. It stood well as a one shot game. I can’t think of much that makes this ip worthy of a sequel. “The zombie game with coop and xp” doesn’t seem enough. Anyway, maybe it will be set on an island in space and then i will regret this comment.

• Hyetal says:

I agree. I really hope they’re able to do something interesting for the story this time around. That would go a long way for my personal excitement.

But then, I was one of those folks saddened at the inexplicable deviation from the original trailer, so they’re clearly not making games for me.

5. Phantoon says:

People enjoyed that game?

How??

• jaheira says:

By playing it.

• Stromko says:

I had to get a third-party application so I could actually tweak the settings, such as turning off the horrible motion blur and adjusting the field of view. Without that app I would’ve had to unpack some data files and make new directories and all sorts of stuff I didn’t feel like doing.

It’s kinda alright in co-op, depends who you’re playing with.

• RegisteredUser says:

At least you COULD.

So many other games now are encrypted pieces of shit(Bulletstorm was a prime example of this idiotic move) the publishers force the devs to lock down hard to spite us.
        Because god forbid we actually change anything the gods of development / IP holders deigned appropiate for us. Or, more likely, the console audience, for which the game actually was made for, before they lazily ported it over as.

6. golem09 says:

This will be pure awesomeness.

7. Jay says:

Things I’d like in the sequel:

Sharks vs Zombies
    Big Fucking Splinters
    Ian McCulloch

8. Vinraith says:

This is great news. I only got Dead Island recently, so I missed all the launch issues, but in its present state it’s an absolute blast. Open world melee Borderlands with zombies and crafting, what’s not to love? It’s easily my favorite zombie shooting game, period.

• Jay says:

Zombie bashing, surely? The shooting is still pretty lousy.

I’d agree with you on everything else, though. Came to it after all the patches and had a lot of fun with it.

• Vinraith says:

Well, mostly zombie slicing in my case, but I take your point. I think the shooting is adequate, actually, but guns are only really useful against human enemies (and for shooting propane tanks, of course). I’m actually pretty happy with that, myself.

• Jay says:

That’s fair enough. It was just with the long lead-up to getting your first proper firearm, I was looking forward to being some kind of insta-killing superman or something. It probably would’ve completely shagged the balance (especially after you get the ammo blueprints), but it would’ve been fun.

• Vinraith says:

I can see where you’re coming from. On the other hand, why would a pistol bullet do much of anything to a zombie, when you think about it? Shotguns should probably be a bit more effective, though.

Still, it’s more fun to hack them apart anyway, and the ineffectiveness of guns actually makes the game feel markedly different from the host of other zombie shooters out there.

• sneetch says:

Why would hitting them do any damage either? If the tissue was truly dead, you’d have to sever/break limbs to do anything to a zombie and decapitation is the only thing that should “kill” one. I’m assuming these zombies weren’t dead dead so if we assume that the brain and other internal organs must still be doing something (or how else could they see or hear you or summon a burst of speed?) then a shot in the head or heart could “kill” one too. Perhaps more slowly than it would kill a human though.

It was fun to hack them apart though.

• Vinraith says:

@sneetch

Considering the damage model, I get the sense that the intention is that only severs and breaks really do much (they do profoundly more damage than any normal hit). I’d actually be fine with decapitation (or skull crushing) being the only way to put them down, myself. All that said I take your point, this is after all the “infected living being” model, not the “animated corpse” model.

9. Nick says:

Hopefully they’ll learn from the mistakes of the previous game (which is a lot of fun, but could do with a fair bit of tweaking design wise). Either way, looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

10. The13thRonin says:

You know what would be great this time? A MAP EDITOR.

You want my money Techland? Well you better include one this time.

11. CorruptBadger says:

Dead Island 1 had so much promise, but is plagued with poor design choices.

Level design was clearly not their strong point, with most parts of an area only accessibly through 1/2 corridor routes, despite it being a huge island. Also, the swamp/jungle zone was so irritating, mainly because it was so confusing even the automatic gps style line got confused.

Vehicles in the game were extremely fun, they handled like proper vehicles and felt satisfying to throw into crowds of zombies, but served little purpose besides covering ground quicker, before being forced to walk through a corridor area to quest-givers/objectives.

Enemy design was poor, rams were a chore, brutes or whatever the big guys were called are just plain annoying, the boomer-style zombie was also a pain in the ass, sprinters were irritating as hell in large groups.

The health system was absolute junk, having to either find food/drink lying around, or bring up your inventory during or after combat and selecting a medkit felt clunky, a left for dead approach would have worked better, where light, medium and heavy medkits are bound to a d pad function or a hot-key.

Skill trees were boring, with each character’s trees varying marginally, making them each have little unique functionality, and levelling was slow, meaning syncing points into one tree to reach the final skill took years, and if you did go down a single tree, you lost out on valuable skills like lock-picking or increased survivability.

Environments were never striking or breathtaking, every ‘monument’ on the island was decisively average and got dull after one or two visits. The jungle and beachs were especially repetitive and soulless.

12. RegisteredUser says:

Maybe as a caveat: I neither work for nor endorse these folks.

They put this thing out as an unfinished, fairly weirdly balanced / designed piece of diamond-in-the-rough and a small modding scene popped up around it rather instantly.
    A lot of the stuff was fairly easily found and self-explanatory if you took the time to look, and for the single best melee combat game made in recent years for the PC it was worth meddling with(I played Zeno Clash; nowhere near as enjoyable as breaking someone’s arms then lobbing their head off I’m afraid).

And you could change a _LOT_ of stuff with just mucking about the extracted text/script files.
    See various youtube videos of fist of the north star crazyness and others, e.g.

13. SmittyBit says:

Hmm. Dead Island was bland, cookie cutter crap. It honestly reminded me of those NES games based off some random popular license, but were boring and really had nothing to do with that same license. Just add on that new-gaming handholding, follow the breadcrumbs mentality.

Dead Island expansion?? Why? Honestly, Why?

14. RegisteredUser says:

Huh?

You unpacked the zipped files and then had scripted textfiles that were easily modded in plain text.
    You could mod base health, base sprinting speed, weapon durability, properties, bone break chance, item crafting ingredients, stuff you’d find, etc pp.

Basically almost anything you wanted. Unzip & notepad.
    Sure, you had to “crack” the CRC check of the pack files initially, but later on some folks figured out which override paths you could place files to or something and even skip that.

Comment on this story