Dead State Kickstarts With A New Trailer

By John Walker on June 6th, 2012 at 11:30 am.

MAYBE THE REAL ENEMY IS HUMANITY?!?!!?

Dead State, the zombie RPG from former Obsidian developers Brian Mitsoda and Annie Carlson, has launched a Kickstarter. And along with this comes a brand new trailer for the potentially very interesting game. We’ll have a massive exclusive interview with the developers in a few moments, but to build up to that, check out the trailer below.

The Kickstarter is chugging along nicely, with $21k of its $150,000 goal already in, and the number going up significantly each time I refresh. Here’s why:

, , , , .

1. CaspianRoach says:

Apparently end of the world didn’t affect people who are cleaning the streets, everything looks sterile clean, kudos them for that!

• Simas says:

Zombies eat dirt and garbage. They lick the streets clean.

• wccrawford says:

On the other hand, there aren’t many people around to trash the streets, either. ;)

Of course, maybe the design isn’t final, either.

• Simas says:

Actually, there is a new interview where Brian said:

I’ve seen some people describe our game as post-apocalyptic – that would be false, as our game is actually apocalyptic. The game starts about two weeks after society started to lose its footing.

• Strangerator says:

A program so successful, it lasts longer than society itself.

2. Premium User Badge Shakermaker says:

This is a game I can get behind. The action seems a little lackluster but then again this is turn-based (right?).

• darkath says:

Right.

• Optimaximal says:

The impact of shooting/melee do seem to be lacking weight. No doubt it’s something that will be improved (although whether it’s by rejigging the animations or implementing a ‘Bloody Mess’ mode waits to be seen).

3. Kaira- says:

Hm, just noticed they have no mentions of Linux and/or Mac-version, so sent them a question.

Anyway, going to back this up, I’ve been waiting for this game so long and the premise seems to be a zombie-game done right.

4. Torn says:

Backed it, however I wonder what’s changed since the August 2010 RPS interview? http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/25/a-blood-red-state-dead-state-revealed/

The engine looks pretty similar there, so maybe they’ve just parked the project until now?

5. Danny says:

Backed, although I do find it worrying that the game is coming along so slowly. If I’m not mistaken it’s already some years ago since the announcement.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Small teams make slow progress.

• Danny says:

It was actually me thinking that the announcement originated from 2008, instead of 2010. My bad.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Also, from the Kickstarter page:

“Most of the staff of DoubleBear has been working on Dead State in their spare time … We need your funding to help us keep our staff on full-time and hire additional staff to speed up production of the game.”

I think it’s promising to see they’ve listed their target date as the end of next year. A lot of Kickstarters have really optimistic release dates, and I have no doubt their will be a backlash when they start getting delayed. ‘I gave you my money, where’s my game?’ etc.

6. Haborym says:

This definitely sounds like my kinda game.

7. Premium User Badge Big Murray says:

If we’re looking at the words “non-linear storyline” in the X-COM style, then this could be brilliant.

But I don’t know. Something just doesn’t click with me about what they’ve released so far. So, so much potential, but I don’t know. Does kinda remind me of Project Zomboid though.

8. theaborted says:

When I first read the title I was intrigued but seeing the demo, I’m way out on this one.

It’s just stolen the concept from many a flash game that’s available on Newgrounds.

All it’s done is given it 3D graphics, even the menu system looks the same.

I’m getting that Zynga vibe from this (ie steal someone elses idea).

I think I’ll stick to the free flash game thanks.

• Jim Rossignol says:

*Baffled*.

If there is a browser game that does this stuff then link plz!

• Tacroy says:

He presumably means Rebuild, which I think was even featured on RPS before.

Edit: Oh right it’s over here.

• wu wei says:

If he does mean Rebuild, he’s still talking out of his rectum, given it was released in 2011 and Dead State was already looking a lot like this back in 2010.

So tired of the smug ignorance of dicktards.

• Nick says:

Uh, no, not really. The concept of survivors scavenging for food and holed up in a location is hardly original to start with, nevermind the writing etc.

Zynga my arse.

• Phasma Felis says:

Rebuild is fun, but not nearly as deep, and combat happens entirely offscreen. Calling this a Rebuild ripoff is like calling Metroid a Super Mario ripoff because they’re both platformers.

9. theaborted says:

Kinda getting a Zynga vibe off it.

10. Phantoon says:

They had me at the logo.

Double bear!

11. BlackeyeVuk says:

I was spectator long enough. I just created damn account here. Anyway, for this purpose .

Check this game.

Created by same guys or gals.. I donno. Pretty awesome if i might add. Just to help you people figure it basic formula and gameplay. Only more detailed and with more 3D.

I recommend rebuild 2 because its just an upgrade over first part. Me think , same formula will be in this one. Which is AWESOME!

And if you did pay attention to the trailer, gonna notice same GUI :D

PS- Sorry for “Enlish” not native, me Serb. SMASH!
    PSS- Demmit! I was beaten. They are the same guys from REbuild anyway. ._.

• wu wei says:

They are the same guys from REbuild anyway

Are you sure? Rebuild was done by Sarah Northway, who seems to have no connection that I can find with Double Bear. I’d also expect DB to mention it on their site if it were so…

12. theaborted says:

If it’s the same people, then I do beg your pardon and I’ll eat my words quite happily but I didn’t see mention of it being the same company.

• wu wei says:

And what about the fact that Dead State pre-dates Rebuild? Or will you just continue to ignore anything that challenges your ridiculous opinion?

13. Kadayi says:

So is it just a case of holding out as long as you can until you inevitably get overwhelmed?

• The Pink Ninja says:

No, apparently there are various end game scenarios but they haven’t said what they are yet.

14. Ernesto says:

Looks like a Silent Storm Zombie mod. I’m not convinced yet.

15. RegisteredUser says:

All these naysayers are on some really bad drugs.

I smell immense potential, even though the funding needs to really kick up art assets and combat quality a few notches for me to really be in heaven.

Other than that, I believe that this game is going to have a LOT of things people will go positively apeshit over from a “what it does” standpoint.

16. Auspex says:

A lot of grumpy people here but I’m just as excited for this as when it was first announced. Even if it turns out to awful Brian MItsoda still deserves to (finally) get some money from me as thanks for Vampire.