Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Has A Robot Or Two

By Alec Meer on June 6th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Given how poor my painting skills are, it's amazing it only looks this bad

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron is coming out on PC after all, which means I now have free rein to get all over-excited about it – even if I am worried by all the grey corridors of its predecessor and the terrible choice of music in the below trailer. But, sound and pre-renderness aside, gosh! What a lot of fan service is in here. It’s got all my favourites – Shockwave, Bruticus, the Dinobots, Metroplex…. All that’s missing is my beloved psychopath Galvatron, my old, poorly-painted miniature model kit of which you can see above. Of course, they’ll need to kill off Megatron to get him in, but as technically FoC is a prequel to the familiar Transformers crashed-on-Earth-and-started-fighting-again tale I guess that can’t happen. Boo! They could go down the nu-comics route of making Galvy an entirely different character, but that’s just stupid. STUPID!

ANYWAY. Trailer! Exciting robots! Awful music! An Autobot the size of a city! Also on PC! Please have wide-open areas like this video suggests!

Here’s a clearer look at Metroplex, by the way. Apparently he’ll be remote-controlled by Prime in the game, but I can only pray we still get to smash untold amounts of Decepticons, topple the spires of Iacon and whatnot with him.

Also here’s the first level of the game, courtesy of IGN. On console, obv. Seems as though confined spaces, minimal transformation, clonebots and that bewilderingly inapproriate muddy colour scheme remains, and I’m not sure why anyone would think Bumblebee changing fuses to make a lift work is an exciting recreation of the Transformers experience. But then this is the tutorial level, hopefully it’ll open up later on. At least plenty of stuff explodes, there are massive robots in the background and a wider range of known Transformers loping about. There’s no way I won’t play this, needless to say, regardless of how stupid it turns out to be.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Tom De Roeck says:

free rein?

Also, game looks interesting. Now if they could make that XCOM type Humans vs Deceptikons.

• westyfield says:

As in, the reins of a horse, not the reign of a monarch.

2. frenz0rz says:

Is… is that a carrot?

3. mondomau says:

What the hell was that soundtrack about? I know every PR firm wants to be the first to find the new wubwub or madworld, but whoever thought an emo rock number was a fitting accompaniment to giant robots kicking the shit out of each other is a grade-A prat.

I was hoping for a slightly less generic and neon look to the transformers this time, but I’ve no doubt it’ll be worth a play – I’ve only just finished the first one and it was good fun.

• KikiJiki says:

Crappy music is the hallmark of Transformers.

YOU’VE GOT THE TOUCH

• MuscularOwl says:

It’s Siouxsie and the Banshees, by the way. Well, at least the original song. But I have no idea who’s covering it here. Still, it fits pretty well with the trailer.

4. MistyMike says:

I’d really like to get a closer look at those books and records on Alec’s shelf.

• Bhazor says:

I see a book called “Made in Finland”. I for one am intrigued by this biography of the humble karjalanpiirakka.

• Alec Meer says:

Actually it’s the bottom of a record’s spine and it says ‘made in England’. That is not the name of the record or its artist. Hah!

5. Optimaximal says:

This.

6. Bhazor says:

Ok, you do know the original cartoon series was crap right? Because 30 somethings seem to completely forget that.

The toys were cool but the show is probably a shining example of the dark age of animation.

• KikiJiki says:

>My Little Pony gravatar
      >Calling Transformers crap
      >Troll successful

• Alec Meer says:

Screw the show, it’s bullshit. The comics are the thing.

• Schiraman says:

I just logged in to say exactly that. So yes, +1 to wot Alec said.

• Was Neurotic says:

I can’t believe you said that, Meer. I’m no 39 year-old TF fanboy (cough), but you can’t in good faith just write-off the entire animated G1 continuity! *shakes head in disbelief*

• MSJ says:

It’s hard to like the old cartoons seriously after being given the likes of Beast Wars, with its good plotting and characterizations.

Except when the G1 cartoon gets really goofy of course. Like the time Powerglide fell in love with a human woman, or when Optimus Prime has to rescue several Autobots from a crazy rich hunter who fought in the Boer War. Or when Seaspray fell in love with a mermaid alien elf and use a magic pool to transform into a mermaid elf man and later the lady mermaid elf use the pool to become a robot that transforms into a viking boat.

7. Moni says:

HAHAHA. “Take them out Bumblebee, while I hide somewhere!”

8. Schiraman says:

This looks kind of ok, but it also looks alarmingly like Gears of War and/or Call of Duty – except with robots. Which is better than those things without robots, but still seems a bit disappointing.

I’d also like to make the obligatory mention of the Melbourne House-developed PS2 Transformers game, which was excellent. I’d like to think that this is the Transformers game that finally lives up to that standard, but somehow I doubt it.

• Bhazor says:

Actually it really reminded me of Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (2003) for the Xbox.

It’s sad to see just how little gameplay has changed in a decade.

9. Jesse L says:

Glad to see my favorite character, Tinytorso McBigarms, made it into the game. In the form of EVERY CHARACTER.

I’m sorry, I still wear Autobot underpants every day but those big arms just ruin my sense of immersion in the gloriously rich world of Transformers.

10. ran93r says:

4.15 – Why would a ship full of robots be pressurised?

No matter, will be lapping this up on release day because of.. well.. mother chuffing Grimlock!

• Bobsy says:

More to the point, why would transformers even need a ship? Wouldn’t they crawl inside an even bigger transformer?

11. Optimaximal says:

Just watched the gameplay trailer. It’s still the same semi-boring run&gun that hurt War for Cybertron, but DAMN is it exciting in a ‘Autobot City Battle’ kind of way.

When Megatron threw Optimus at Bumblebee, my inner child went ‘YES!’. The same inner child that wants this to be a full movie – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfrJIaTsMSY

12. Sic says:

That’s a Camberwell Carrot, isn’t it`?

13. Phasma Felis says:

Jesus, you people are picky bastards about music. Does anything other than by-the-numbers orchestral please you?

14. Wartooth says:

I loved the Transformers as a kid. I had Optimus Prime on lay-buy and remember going to the toy shop every week for a couple of months to pay off $5 at a time. I used to just gaze at the box dreaming of the day I could take it home, knowing with 100% certainty that once I had Prime I would never, could never, be bored again.

Now it has come to this.

Thanks Michael Bay. Prick.