Zero Point Invite Everyone Into Deadlock

By Jim Rossignol on June 6th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

In space, there are lots of pretty military installations.
Interstellar Marines developers Zero Point have sent word that they’ll be making their proof-of-concept multiplayer game taster, Deadlock, available to everyone for E3 week, and the following weekend. It’s right here. The game is provided in a Unity plugin, so you can play it straight from your browser, into a multiplayer game.

Zero Point have also produced a rather heart-felt new trailer for the rest of their project, which you can see below. The glimpses of the game that are shown in there certainly look pretty promising, and it encompasses both a single-player campaign and multiplayer tactical shooter stuff. Ambitious indeed. Go take a look.

And here’s my interview with the team, conducted last year.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Monkey says:

Seem like nice guys, good luck to them

• Ultra Superior says:

Too bad they decided to make run of the mill FPS shooter. At least they’re nice, not like the ugly marketing people from those big companies we have never seen.

• Orija says:

I first read about Interstellar Marines in 2009 in a Gamespot article. That’s how long this game has been in development. I don’t care that it looks like a generic shooter, I just want that the people who put their heart and soul into this game for so long feel rewarded for all the hard work they put it in, when the game comes out.

• ZIGS says:

Actually the game has been in development since 2005. I’m guessing it’ll be released somewhere in the 23rd century

• USER47 says:

Yeah, initialy it was developed on UE3 (and they build some extremely impressive stuff on it). There were some financial issues later, the company went indie and restarted the project with Unity engine. That’s why it takes so long. Plus, they are like 5 guys or so…

• Kestilla says:

Isn’t it a spiritual successor to System Shock? They even have the voice of SHODAN.

2. Brosepholis says:

Wait wait wait, I think I’m getting something from the RPS hivemind…

Yes, here it is… it may be a brown manshoot, but… it’s indie! That means it’s OK to like it!

Thank god for that.

• jellydonut says:

The concept does sound really bland but this is definitely a PC game. The feel of it is very high-quality. What little they have so far gives me the sense of ‘what if Raven Shield had a real sequel instead of endless Vegas Modern Codblops clones’.

And that’s a *good thing*.

• DrGonzo says:

But, it has sharks running around in it! Also, have you actually played it?

It’s also the first game I’ve played in a browser that looks like a ‘proper’ game. So many reasons to write about it.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Have you read the interview with them? Paid any attention to what they are trying to do with it? How many mil manshoots reference System Shock and Deus Ex?

But more seriously: this idea that we give indies a pass has to fuck off. Just because I am posting news about this game does not mean it’s great. This is not a review, the game is not out. It could be terrible, but I am going to report on it like I do everything else.

• Terragot says:

FUCK THE HATERS JIM : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBeJ2Ycvc0

On the game : Ambient light set to pitch black makes for nice, simple, tactical, gameplay. Everything else is just the very basics of an FPS. Hey, if this doesn’t work out for them at least one of them has a damn fine voice acting career ahead of himself.

• Phantoon says:

HOW DARE YOU DO YOUR JOB, JIM.

Everyone knows indies aren’t allowed any exposure, especially not neutral reporting!

• wodin says:

Thats what bugs me abit. MoH articles are a waste of space, BF3 has articles with actual sentences and paragraphs that make sense and an Indy shooter gets a decent right up. Makes no sense.

• MrUnimport says:

Thank you for saying this. I like RPS and I appreciate its varied coverage but the disdain that builds up around here for everything AAA is just too much. I don’t mind a little playing around, but it’s bordering on unprofessional.

• Solidstate89 says:

Because RPS’ hatred and vitriol for AAA games like Deus Ex: HR and Skyrim are so readily apparent everywhere on this site…

Get a grip.

• pkt-zer0 says:

SWAT 4 with RPG elements with space-shark-tigers is quite alright by me.

• subedii says:

Doesnt’ really feel like SWAT 4 from what I’ve played of it, but it does definitely feel more thoughtful and precise than most modern FPS’s. I really do think they’ve hammered down the “feel” of the combat.

With that down, they can set it in big blocky arenas, and I still have fun with it. Which is why I enjoyed their Bullseye and Running Man promos.

• USER47 says:

As far as I know the movement system in Deadlock is still a placeholder. They will probably implement some version of system which is in Running Man (available on website too…). While I agree currently it doesn’t feel like SWAT 4, it’s still too early to judge how it will work and feel later, when they implement all basic stuff.

3. killmachine says:

i like the game. i already tested what they put out there. the major things i dislike are the headbob that makes me actually sick and the feeling that you think your somehow are glued to the floor. kind of inacurate unresponsive movement.

gun play and animations are pretty solid though.

4. Utgaardsloke says:

The gunplay in this game is really top-notch, and has been for years since they released the first demo. I believe in you Zero Point!

5. MrStones says:

They should replace the trailer with one hyphenated word.

Land-sharks!

Instabuy.

6. ThTa says:

It seems fairly bland, to be honest. I liked having to strategically use your flashlight, but that was about it.
    For comparison, Natural Selection 2 seems to have a somewhat similar premise, story-wise, and a similar indie setup with a “pay to get into the beta and finance our continued development” business model, but is simply a much more unique and compelling game. (Then again, UWE is, by comparison, a more “established” studio with more experience. Despite that experience consisting of nothing more than a single mod (the fantastic NS1), a sudoku game and a LUA tool.)

Still, I appreciate their efforts, and may yet purchase something there, since every pre-order thingy is currently 50% off. Their comparisons to DX1, System Shock 2 and Rainbow Six means there might be potential that I’m simply unable to see at this point.

• USER47 says:

This is just a very early MP “slice” serving the purpose of testing and improving netcode, and later hopefully some coop/communication/interface stuff they need to build for the full game. NS2 is nice multiplayer shooter, but that’s about it. This is supposed to be a trilogy of story driven tactical FPS/RPG sci-fi games, something very different than NS2…

• Stevostin says:

The thing is… This IM thing is around for years now. Yes they got some things right, really right, and yes I can go behind a minimalistic angle, but most of what’s there was already there one year ago. So here’s multi with one (1) weapon, no (0) reload animation, no crouch, no walk, no jump. When did dev start, already ?

2005 ?

Like in “2005, 7 BLOODY YEARS AGO ?”

Really, plenty of stuff I like, but it’s clear they have a huge issue with productivity. Which can’t be good when indie developping prepaid stuff.

• USER47 says:

Yeah, they started 7 years ago, but initialy they were developing under the publisher on UE3 engine. This is some pretty impressive presentation of their 2008 build:

After the financial problems they went indie and had to restart project on new, very different engine. That’s why they are still in this early stage.

• JerreyRough says:

They started making it in 2005 yes.They had a good sized team of 10+ people working on it, but UDK wasn’t out and the licensing was too much. So the project fell apart and nothing happened for a while. Then a couple of them tried restarting the project, now using Unity 3D. They’ve got 4 developers in total working on it (with only 1 trained programmer I believe), so progress will be slow.

7. HoosTrax says:

I can’t wait for this excessive bloom fad to be over.

Anno 2070, KoA, Syndicate, etc.

8. Tridae says:

THE DARKNESS! I love how dark that map is. TRUE darkness with 0 visibility without a flashlight. Loved sneaking around trying to find people. No game I can remember has done that well since. . uh Riddick multi but those maps were so badly designed.

Also – it’s pretty damn cool that you can shoot out lights in multiplayer, they regenerate after a while but it’s great that you have the option to do it and set up little ambushes

9. Mr. Mister says:

The player with the best headphones wins.
    Period.

10. Ernesto says:

I hope there is a pioneering part. Because I saw only shooty stuff in the trailer. It’s a ‘first contact’ game, right? Please don’t make me go in with guns blazing from the start…
    On the other hand: walking sharks!

11. Theon says:

Now, I’d be the first to confess that I haven’t tried Amnesia yet, even though it’s fully downloaded and installed on my machine, but…
    That demo scared me shitless.
    Those screams echoing through the hallways.
    Then the light suddenly goes.
    Muzzleflashes in the dark, the clunky sound of boots on metal.
    Someone with a flashlight turns a corner, sweeps the room with his light…

NOPE.
    I’m out.
    These chaps look amiable enough, but this is not a game I’m buying.

12. USER47 says:

By the way, video preview of the demo:

• mr.ioes says:

Thanks, this video showed way more!

• subedii says:

Haha, that bit reminds me of the ancient Unreal / Unreal Tournament mode Darkmatch. Good times.

• njursten says:

Tried it for a while. Especially liked sneaking around in the full dark, just quickly turning on and off your flashlight every now and then for navigation, waiting to catch someone else with theirs on and sneak up on them.

13. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Tried the demo and it was okay. Extremely basic in terms of features, but hey it’s a very early concept demo. In a way, it doesn’t really say much more about the actual game than screenshots or a trailer would, but at least it’s a different approach. The map seemed much too big for just 8 players though. Ran a lot and only occasionally bumped into others, and that was on a full 8/8 server.

14. tomeoftom says:

SO SCARY

15. Messiah Complex says:

I primary shooters, and I am dying for a game with only “basic features.” That is, mechanics that are laser-focused on great gun-play and little-to-nothing else.

I apologize for exceeding my hyphen-count in that last sentence.

16. Solidstate89 says:

The video had me at the Gundam figurine.

17. USER47 says:

I just found they released their earlier very impressive UE3 presentation for public.

I recommend at least the part starting at 12:55 – realtime voice porting in multiplayer. I’ve never seen anything like that in a videogame.

18. MeestaNob says:

If a Kickstarter happens for this I might be interested, I admire their passion for the project.