Yikes: Lucius Is Going To Hell In October

By Jim Rossignol on June 7th, 2012 at 5:30 pm.

The Ladies & Gentlemen aboard the VG247 newsblimp have beamed up another interesting minor announcement, which is that Shiver Games’ spooky Omen-like horror game Lucius, in which you play a demon-child offing people in a country house, is to arrive in October. It’s an open world thing, which gives you the run of the house, allowing you some invention in how you kill off characters before your journey to hell. Looks both worrying and intriguing.

Trailer below.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. jonfitt says:

Ah, good old paedophobia. A horror staple.
    Interesting concept, but the dialog in the trailer sounded terribly cliched and clunky.

• Jerakal says:

Yeah that was some of the most stilted dialogue I’ve ever seen in a trailer, it’s like they aren’t even trying to sell it.

It being the game in this case.

• lofaszjoska says:

And this is why I’m so happy I’m not a native English speaker. Everything sounds so much cooler when it’s being said in a foreign language. Well, maybe not in Portuguese, but I’m sure you know what I mean.

2. MuscleHorse says:

Here’s hoping for a Wasp Factory style unexploded bomb for someone to hit with a sandal.

3. MythArcana says:

Oh, so this is based on the biography of Bobby Kotlick then? I think I’ll pass…

4. AJ_Wings says:

So it’s Hitman with a “The Omen” theme to it? Could be interesting.

Voice acting was terribad in that trailer though.

5. Haborym says:

That sounds AWESOME.

6. dontnormally says:

The one who is not afraid…

[apply sunglasses]

…because he is the fear.

7. Jamesworkshop says:

Reminds me of Tranquillity Lane from Fallout 3

8. Chaz says:

What if the anti-christ was called Lee or Jim, would he still be quite so creepy?

9. Linfosoma says:

This looks very interesting, Im curious to see how the trap mechanics will work.
    Also, that header image is awesome.

10. sashaski says:

This looks interesting, but the voice acting/sync wasn’t great and kept putting me off.

11. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Reminds me a bit of Shiny’s wonderful but often forgotten Messiah.

Only you’re not a Cherub named Bob in a cyberpunk land, pushing workers into machinery.

12. SuperNashwanPower says:

**monocle pop**
    Open world … house ?
    Unlike the internet type moron, the Oxymoron is my very favourite type of moron.
    Fa fa fa fa fa fa what what what

13. Maxheadroom says:

Was loving the concept righ up to the point where it showed actual gameplay, which looks like Bully – Devilspawn Edition. The appalling voice acting didnt help matters either

14. PopeJamal says:

I’ll be looking out for this in one of those IP devaluing Steam sales because, well, it looks bad.
    Lucius kills his own IP? How meta.

15. Zyrxil says:

I guess calling it Damien might have invited a few lawsuits.

16. Zacccariaaa says:

Isn’t this just exactly the Deception series with the plot of The Omen applied on top?

• Jay says:

You say that like it’s a bad thing. I could absolutely go for a PC version of Deception.

• Zacccariaaa says:

I mean, yeah, I love the Deception series too, but
        It’s just so strongly exactly that I wouldn’t be surprised if these guys were sued by Tecmo and 20th Century Fox/David Seltzer.

• Jay says:

That kind of thing’s really difficult to take action on, I believe. If it wasn’t, companies like Zynga would get torn to pieces. Wherever you stand on the issue, blatant clones are just one of those things that happen in gaming all the time. Short of some clever patent tricks (like Namco owning the rights to minigames on a loading screen) there’s not a lot of recourse there.

The film side I’m less sure on, there was an italian Jaws knock-off that got banned I believe, but that was copying scenes almost verbatim.

17. marctaro says:

They’re just need a timely ‘kid slays parents’ story and this thing will top the charts.

18. Iskariot says:

I think the horror is mostly in the peculiar voice acting and dialogue.
    I am interested in the concept, but I do not believe I can stand the voices for the duration of the game.

19. lordcooper says:

Very cool concept, but that was a devilishly poor trailer.

20. Solidstate89 says:

I was pretty stoked about this game right up until that trailer. I’ll still be keeping an eye on it thought because I absolutely love the concept. It’s like a mix Hitman, The Omen and Bully.

21. haze4peace says:

I was pretty meh on this trailer until I saw that you get to control the kid and cause some mayhem. Now I’m interested in seeing more.

22. noodlecake says:

I never understood why video games tend to have such bad scripts and such bad acting. If budget was the issue, why not audition drama students or unknown actors and do the same for script writers? There must be plenty of good talent out there willing to work for not very much just to have something on their cv and kickstart their career. I certainly wouldn’t turn my nose at an equivalent opportunity as an art student.

23. Jackablade says:

Looks a bit on the budget side. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll be bad, but I’m not getting my hopes up too high.

24. WJonathan says:

“These people are just fodder for the eventual scythe.” Can you cut fodder with an eventual scythe? I’ve always been told a current scythe cuts cleaner than an eventual one. And I’m damn sure not going to waste my time hacking away at people fodder with a dull scythe.

Comment on this story