On Other Id Things: Bethesda Have Plans For Rage

By Jim Rossignol on June 8th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

While we’re talking Id, there’s something else that came out of E3 that you might find interesting. Bethesda frontman Pete Hines told Eurogamer that despite the lukewarm reception for Rage, they have big plans for it: “We’re looking at doing some things with Rage. But obviously the first thing out of anybody’s lips now when we talk about id is not, hey, what else is up with Rage? They’re asking the question they’ve been asking for five years, six years, seven years, which is, where’s Doom 4? What about Doom 4? As far as where we are with Rage, the future for that is still TBD.”

Which is interesting, because whatever the do with Doom, I felt like Rage was a move in the right direction, but didn’t quite go all out on any of the things that it was hinting at. The half-formed racing, half-formed exploration, half-formed crafting, all pointed to a deeper game which, if they concentrate on just one of those elements next time, might yet yield something beyond the usual adventure with shotguns. Id are also working on another shooter, which has yet to be revealed.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Hoaxfish says:

Can’t exactly say Rage stands out as an interesting route to follow. Still comes across as a basic dustbowl post-apocalypse.

• Rii says:

I never played Fallout 3 or Borderlands, so for me Rage is a refreshing change of pace and one of the very few shooters I’ve been at all interested in these past few years. Course I haven’t actually got to playing it yet, but it’s on the shelf…

• caddyB says:

That’s like going to Canada and saying that since it never snows on your homeland, it’s very interesting and they shouldn’t complain.

I get your point, but still.

• Hoaxfish says:

I still think, ignoring Fallout and Borderlands, and Mad Max, etc, it’s pretty dull as a thing to try and expand.

I mean, Doom was space marines… but it had a whole “going to hell/demons” thing going on
        Quake had (at least originally) a whole “gothic demons + guns”
        Wolfenstein, er, Nazis + demons

Rage doesn’t even get Demons. So, while I guess it works as a self-contained game, I’m not really sure where they could go with it. More desert? If they move away from that location, is it really the same setting? etc.

• ScubaMonster says:

Just because you haven’t played 2 popular games (and old games) doesn’t mean it’s refreshing for everybody so I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. That Rage is innovative or unique? Because it certainly isn’t. And we’re not even counting other games like New Vegas. Or even that Fallen Earth mmo.

• Metonymy says:

I have an internal measuring system that isn’t exactly the same as a magazine score, but I would list Fallout 3 as a 9.5, Borderlands as an 8.5, and Rage as a 2. It only get a 2 because it looks good. (Doom1/Quake1 was a 10 at release, 9 right at this instant)

Rage is the flawless manifestation of a cawadoody non-shooter. 40 weapons, all equally unnecessary. One enemy type that does one thing. That horrible Quake1 driving mod shoe-horned in. Loot that isn’t loot. Console loadtime-transitions. Racing that is somehow less elaborate and skillfull than mariokart. Oh wait, I said that twice. All environments are corridors, even the areas you explore. Infinite ammo and health. COVER. COVER. YOU DONT AVOID ATTACKS, YOU HIDE WHEN THE ENEMY IS ATTACKING.

FPS games need one of two things: they need gameplay that makes you apply learned skills, or they need a storyline that makes progress exciting. Rage has nothing.

• djtim says:

@Metonymy
          “FPS games need one of two things”

Correct! but you have the two things completely wrong. The two things that every first person shooter needs are to be in First Person and to be a shooter. And to be honest that is it. Most FPS’s get the first person thing just fine. Rage fell over when it had you drive in third person.

The ‘shooter’ is a lot harder, more subjective – I don’t know what it is (I’ve never held a real gun) but there was always something ‘weighty’ about shooting stuff in Half Life and its sequels that just felt right. On the other hand the new Medal of Honour felt like you were virutally shooting paper dolls with toy guns. And with Rage, once I got hold of a shotgun with pop-rockets I played through the whole game in almost a single sitting laughing maniacally at the splody bits and having a blast. The shooter felt good. Big tick for Rage.

You know its easy to pick holes in anything and dismiss a game for what it does badly, but in Rage I got to shoot things, they exploded, I laughed, game finished, I went home happy.

• TurquoiseTail says:

That is a pretty harsh comment, the game had its flaws and i would point them out but to say it deserves 2/10 is a bit too much

first of all it doesn’t have 40 weapons only around 10 i recall with different ammo types, and not just one different one but upto 4 for certain weapons. there are plenty of different enemy types and they don’t just do one thing, one would throw grenades and shoot you and run right into you and attempt to shotgun you in the face. The driving section i found enjoyable, i quite liked the races you had and the ability to customise and upgrade your car. Travelling around from places to places i didn’t dislike, sure it was half-exploration but its not shoe-horned in. Loot is loot no matter what, some loot are for selling, most are for crafting which is neat, not many fps have a crafting system even. ofc it wasn’t the best crafting system. i played on PC so i can’t say anything about load time on consoles. but it was not slow for me. The game does suffer a lot from corridor shooting but there are times when its not but that was a bit of an annoyance when it was what it was. its not infinite ammo, i actually found myself running out of a certain weapon despite thinking i had enough and the health system is a bit too easy to abuse and i don’t use cover unless i know for sure i have to, i tend to use the shotgun which is the companys trademark weapon out in the open and jsut running into people and wingsticking people whenever i get the chance

Storyline wasn’t good, I played the game thinking it would last much longer, i think for me the worst thing about the game was the ending

Ultimately, i think people should rate a game depending on the enjoyment first and foremost and compare it with other games, pricetag and the bad stuff and then the mechanics of the game

• CorruptBadger says:

Idd, i found enemy AI to be somewhat clever in rage, which i enjoyed.
            For example, if i pulled out a shotgun, the bandits would go for cover, then wait till there was a pause or i had to reload, or vice versa, if i pulled out the sniper rifle they’d attempt to charge me before i could get a good shot.
            The physics, rag-doll and character, were very responsive (excluding when you fall of your quad-bike), shooting enemies in the leg would cause them to stumble, trip or buckle from their own weight to the grounds. Enemy just fell of a cliff, well when he hits the bottom hes gonna keep moving because he has actual proper momentum.

The shooting wasn’t all that skillful and a lot of weapons were unbalanced, but they felt responsive and had some kick to them.

• wengart says:

I played both Fallout and Borderlands, and I really enjoyed Rage. The setting wasn’t super unique but I feel like Rage did it in a proper shooter way. Which is something the other two big post apoc games haven’t managed to do. The combat was fun and fast paced, the animations and setting were also quite nice.

I would easily recommend Rage to anyone at the prices it could be picked up for now.

• Trent Hawkins says:

new Rage just gives them a chance to familiarize with the awesome engine and work out a truck ton of bugs and production pipeline.

Better Rage 2 bare the brunt of production hell then something more interesting like Fallout 4.

• Quarex says:

Well, all of Rage’s fundamental framework is compelling and amazing. The combat was the best-feeling part of the game, and the racing was at least decent–if someone had bothered to actually create an interesting-to-explore game world, or made any of the characters interesting, or, you know, filled out the game in any meaningful way, they really could be on to something. Hence Rage 2.

2. nasenbluten says:

Rage was OK, the shooter part of it was really nice, the RPG elements and the cars didn’t work out for me. Technically it wasn’t very impressive, the megatexture thing was designed for consoles with little RAM.

My bet is they are working in some kind of expansion.

• db1331 says:

Have those texture issues all been patched? I heard the ending of this is terrible, but I might scoop it up for $10 one day, if all the bugs have been ironed out.

• Dowr says:

The issues aren’t as terrible as they were in the first few weeks of Rage’s release, but the game still has texture pop-in and frame rate problems that demand YOU to fix, such as editing config files and setting steam launch options. I was able to get all of this to work when I first played Rage a few months ago, but I recently tried to re-play the game and none of these fixes I used previously seem to be working anymore, besides being able to skip the intro, but that’s about it.

• Snack says:

Has Rage been removed from Steam?

• Snack says:

The steam page is stating:
            Home > Oops
            Oops, sorry!
            An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

Well I guess I have to deal with the frustration of living in a non-worthy country.
            75 titles in my Library would make me a worthy custo… oh, sorry silly me, I meant consumer.

• Jason Moyer says:

It’s Steamworks, so if you can’t buy it on Steam itself any copy you can find elsewhere should have an activation code.

• nasenbluten says:

Yes I had no problems after the first patch with the right drivers, you just have to add some parameters to the exe to make the texture popping disappear completely.

The problem with the ending is that there is no signature id “big boss” and that it just ends when it is starting to get interesting.

• MattM says:

The game has some of the worst, most nausea inducing headbob of any game. They removed the ability to turn it off in the first patch. The said that it would be reinstated in a later patch then forgot about it.

• RobF says:

I tried a few weeks ago and the best I could manage with tweaking was “slightly less awful”, the constant pop in made it uncomfortable to play. Thing is, even if you do fix it you’ve got to stay a good distance away from anything to avoid throwing up in your mouth at the blurry smudges they pass off as textures.

Throwing in a sharpening filter in a patch just added insult to matters too. You can sharpen them all you like, you’ll just have sharper shit low res screen vomit instead. That they paraded this out there like some sort of magical technical solution was just one more shame upon them for an already shameful thing.

• Maktaka says:

It’s shame RPS doesn’t do upvoting, because you’d have one. Don’t forget the always-on, poorly implemented mouse acceleration that is dependent on your mouse’s DPI. Higher DPI means it kicks in quicker and harder, rendering the game unplayable unless you turn down the mouse’s DPI sensitivity. In order to properly play a PC game from the company that founded PC gaming’s FPS genre with your PC gaming mouse, you have to tune your mouse so it’s no better than a POS $10 mouse from Walmart. Really iD?

When you fuck up a whole pile of things that weren’t broken in the games your company made for twenty years, you’re doing something very wrong.

• djbriandamage says:

Rage really didn’t do it for me at all. I gave it 3 or 4 hours but couldn’t get into it. It seemed very old-fashioned, like having to shoot a guy in the face 5 times until he goes down, pointless Mario Kart meets POD driving sequences, and very fiddly controls (i.e., the menu mouse sensitivity is vastly different from the camera look speed).

I’m one of John Carmack’s biggest fanboys but this game left me completely flat. It had potential, though, so with great trepidation I will peek my nose out my front door and sniff for news about reviews on a sequel.

• Rinimand says:

I played RAGE (and Fallout 2, and Fallout NV and many other FPS / RPG FPSs). I had no technical problems with RAGE at all. I have a great CPU (Intel 990X) 4 GB RAM 9at the time) and ran DX10 on two “old” Gigabyte GTX 260′s SO (Super Overclocked) in SLI mode (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125294). I never had any framerate problems. Mostly I was annoyed by how “consol-ized” the game was.

It was fun in the same way the original DOOMs were fun for me. I could jump on, do a bit, and jump off without having to think about it much. I play on PC of course, to that may be why my performance was fine.

• DickSocrates says:

Your description of why you liked RAGE doesn’t match how Doom is played, when played properly (second highest difficulty with no save states). Doom is still amazing with some mild source port stuff to make it look less ancient. Rage was never amazing.

• roryok says:

you had no trouble with framerates using Two Overclocked graphics cards. I should bloody hope not.

• RobF says:

It doesn’t matter how good your card is though, the game is still going to look like this close up:

Not sure what planet that’s considered acceptable in this decade.

• gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Are you fucking kidding me? really? that’s from Rage?
            God, id software, really guys, seriously, you used to blah blah blah about graphics all the time, with that little weenie Carmack jabbering all sorts of pixel lighting vertex magic, and this is what you come up with?

Seriously?

This looks worse than… let’s see, pick something awful *and* obscure… DIE HARD NAKATOMI PLAZA ON THE LITHTECH ENGINE.

• LionsPhil says:

It wasn’t considered acceptable last decade, because the general opinion is that Deus Ex 1 was kind of ugly even in 2000, yet its telephone has more texture detail.

• RobF says:

That’s after the hilarious sharpening filter has been applied. It looks like a smudge in a sea of smudgey things otherwise and could be anything.

I don’t know how anyone can read this and keep a straight face:

• gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

God. Just pathetic. I hated the demo of Rage and decided it wasn’t worth full price but considered playing it when it got to $5. But now? Not even if you paid me.

Those graphics are worse than Quake 4.

• Ragnar says:

Wow, I just found this page: http://www.rage.com/detailedtextures/ where you can see the original textures and the “programmatically upsampled and enhanced textures”. Which effectively means that their new tech lets them turn blurry low-res textures into super-sharp and pixelated low-res textures that assault your eyes.

Am I the only one who prefers the original blurry textures to the ultra-sharp hideousness that shows off just how low-res the textures are? I can at least rationalize the blurry textures – my character has poor eye sight, and so everything appears blurry without corrective lenses.

• Jason Moyer says:

Rage worked perfectly on my 8800GT before it died. My replacement, an AMD 5770, not so much.

• othello says:

Not technically impressive? RAGE was highly technically impressive; unfortunately all of the advances were towards getting it running on a high memory bandwidth low memory machine (the Xbox) rather than a low memory bandwidth (discrete card over PCIe) high memory machine (most PC cards).

• Xzi says:

I think that’s exactly what he meant. I could maybe optimize an N64 game so perfectly that it would run on a Commodore 64, but nobody would be impressed because it still means nothing for modern technology. The naming process would be interesting, though…Nintendo Commodore 64!!!!

(Note: I’m not saying this is a plausible occurrence in any way, just using a hypothetical here.)

3. Dowr says:

Rage’s combat was fantastic; everything else was not – add more to the combat in Rage 2 and either take out or flesh out the other stuff from the first Rage and give us some interesting NPC’s that aren’t a slog to listen to, okay?

• roryok says:

I didn’t find the combat that great. Too consoley. And as for NPCs, I would have chatted to Loosum all day but she only had one thing to say to me. Rage blows.

• Yosharian says:

Rage was an awful game even without the ridiculous tech problems the game LAUNCHED with. I didn’t even finish it, it was so boring.

• roryok says:

and its a shame because it seemed so promising. The early tech demos seemed to show a big open world game, but it couldn’t have been further from the truth. Even the driving bits were in corridors

4. Flukie says:

Didn’t play it, too busy at that time last year with all those games.

5. GallonOfAlan says:

Was going to pick it up on PC after I’d finally finished Skyrim on 360 but what happens? Bloody Skyrim DLC incoming …

6. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Rage was stunningly mediocre though, the shooting was competent but hardly good enough to carry the entire game, the world felt empty in all the wrong ways, it felt fundamentally deficient in personality or cogency in tone, the side-quests were retreads of past linear areas, the racing was utterly unsatisfying, the overworld was superficial at the best of times, the ending was one of the worst in any game and the story was neither developed nor meaningful. Finally, even the graphics, while hinting occasionally at tremendous artistry, ultimately were in service to incredibly dull and blurry corridors, why the first reveal of the game and engine look far better than what was ultimately shipped… and it took five years?

To date this game is my largest source of buyer’s remorse in gaming. However if a person enjoyed it then I salute and respect their opinion though I certainly don’t share it. Doom 4 will have to be something special but I just don’t see that potential from Id, personally I never really did.

• x1501 says:

Pretty much my opinion of it as well. The only thing to add is that the PC port was absolutely horrible. I can’t believe Carmack had the audacity to claim that the issues were not id Software’s fault, but that they were all caused by inadequate driver support from AMD and Nvidia. Even without its graphical problems, every single aspect of the game, from menus to controls to NPC interactions, stank of 2005 consoles with their obsolete hardware and limited controls. If you want a PC port to sell, spend more than $10 bucks when porting it from Game Boy.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Yes, blaming driver providers rather than taking you know, responsibility for issues that should have been addressed in five years of development was particularly galling. Let alone the incredibly limited graphical options and the horrendous default FOV. The controls I didn’t particularly mind, but the aforementioned issues were terrible.

• PopeJamal says:

I cut Carmack some slack for a few reasons:
        -In one of his keynotes about Rage, he pretty much stated that he was forced into managing a bunch of other programmers and that really isn’t his strong areas.
        -This is one (the?) first ID project that left their “small dev” environment and moved full steam into having 100+ people working on the project. Another new area for them.
        -From the techy part of his keynote, the little bit I understood made it seem like getting their new megatexture tech working on three significantly different hardware profiles (PC, PS3, X360) wasn’t as easy as they thought it would be and I think we can all agree that shows up in the final product.

I find Rage a flawed implementation of a concept with potential, that being a shooty-bang version of Borderlands, Skyrim, and Doom/Quake all rolled into a nice package.

Now, for some reason, I want Sushi rolls. Mmmmmm…

• Yosharian says:

What he said

• Chaz says:

Yep, Mr Slothrop there, pretty much nailed it.

The overall vistas when you stood back from a distance and took things in as a whole sometimes made it a stunning game to look at, but when you got closer you realised it was all just a blurry mirage. That was pretty much true of all the aspects of the game.

7. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Rage was a joke on PC. 21GB of boredom. ID sold out when Zenimax bought them. Expect more multiplatform junk in future.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

So how much did you pay for your scapegoats at market? Yes, it was consoles and Zenimax that were responsible for a vast array of missteps, some narrative and artistic in nature never the actual developer.

• roryok says:

Come on, that’s not fair.

They sold out waaay before then.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I think it’s fairer to say it was the case when the company became more obsessed with making Doom-clones than pushing gameplay and colours other than brown along with the firing of the two genuinely creative, if somewhat flawed personalities on their staff (John Romero and Tom Hall).

• Hoaxfish says:

combined with the ironic fact that they’re no longer even selling their engine, there is very little worth left in their “make a tech demo, sell it as a game” approach

8. Deadly Habit says:

I’m not wondering about Doom 4, I want Quake 5!

9. somini says:

Fallout[: Newer Vegas] by Obsidian in that engine, and I won’t ever leave the house again.

10. trjp says:

I only tried Rage as a demo on the 360 – it seemed OK except that it’s controls were utterly awful and so I never bothered with it.

I guess mouse/kb on PC might have been better, but the 360 controller had this sense of inertia to it whereby every time you moved right/left you’d build-up-speed and then slow-down again – meaning actually aiming at things was far harder than it needed to be.

I cannot actually imagine the final game was that bad – let alone the PC port??

11. piercehead says:

Dodgy graphic issues aside, I thought RAGE was a good shooter with plenty of character. The driving was a passable diversion, the different ammo types were fairly awesome (Pop-rockets and bots anyone?)

Such a shame the ending was such a letdown :(

12. misterT0AST says:

I know what they’re planning: A hotkey based RAGE mmorpg in the Hero engine!

• caddyB says:

I wouldn’t put it past them at this point.

• roryok says:

I bet. I BET its another F*ing MMORPG. I hate this movement toward endless more-pigs. Give me single player stories or give me death!

13. Paul says:

Rage was pretty great, but it could have been even greater. If only they went full on with RPG elements, chose nonmute protagonist, and gave the game a proper ending.

• Yosharian says:

Or, in fact, none of those things

• The First Door says:

I disagree, having a non-mute protagonist would have ruined the game. In an FPS if you constantly show the character from a third person or voice them it destroys immersion! That’s not my voice!

• Yosharian says:

I’ve never understood people who whine about mute protagonists in FPS games. Maybe they have no personality and desperately need the game to provide one? I don’t know. (only semi-serious, but still – it baffles me)

• roryok says:

I agree. In fact, I used to get annoyed during Halflife when people would comment on Gordon Freeman being ‘the silent type’ or whatever. Fuck you! I’m busy saving the world!

• Strontium Mike says:

You don’t have to have a voiced character to make it non mute. The difference between Rage and Half Life is the pacing, in Half Life you are almost always constantly moving. There are very few areas where you have any downtime when you could interact more with other characters and the characters you do interact with acknowledge that Gordon never talks. In Rage though you have hubs with a lot of downtime, a lot of interacting and the characters you meet respond as if your character speaks. I found it really disconcerting to have a mute protagonist in Rage.

Also Half Life games reference prior relationships between Gordon and most of the npcs you meet and new npcs tend to be tied to Gordon’s established friends or you are given time to work together. This establishes a level of trust between the characters and makes it somewhat believable that Gordon would just accept what they tell him and do as they ask. In Rage the protagonist meets a bunch of strangers who tell him to trust them and the protagonist does, no proof is offered, no doubts are raised. You just do as you are asked and given no opportunity to question. Good thing the Authority really were the bad guys then.

14. BathroomCitizen says:

What a shame.

I couldn’t play Rage due to the suttering caused by my ATI card and Rage’s unoptimization!

• Coxswain says:

All that juxtaposition and you didn’t make one ATI Rage joke?

my compaq presario is disappointed in you.

15. Kadayi says:

Combat was pretty damn good and the weapons were robust, the ingame characters were well voiced and animated, but the linearish post apoc setting lacked a certain buzz Vs the open world larger fallout games. Got about 70% through and then got distracted by other things, but do intend to go back to it and see it through. One thing that was slightly jarring was seeing repeat NPC models in the towns. Waves of enemies I’m ok with, but when you see exactly the same old tattooed guy in a small settlement barely a few yards walk from his doppelgänger when you’ve an engine/game striving for a certain verisimilitude it jars the immersion somewhat. Still worth a punt if you’ve the time and inclination I say. There’s some nice combat sequences in there and it’s a stunning looking game.

• roryok says:

character animation was top notch. I’ll give you that one. But it was just all so generic. And all the driving and menial quests – It felt like borderlands 2 starring John Goodman

16. Jnx says:

After the initial patch it was a nice enough shooter, though very short and the ending was just abrupt incarnate. The co-op would’ve been fun but for some brainfart reason they didn’t allow wider FoV in multiplayer so I couldn’t play it. So if you id guys are reading this here’s a tip what to do with Rage. A DAMN FOV PATCH.

17. Jimbo says:

The shooting was good (not great, but still comfortably better than everything else in the game). The problem for me was that I didn’t feel invested in anything that was happening at all, so the entire time I wasn’t shooting something I wanted to be shooting something.

Caring about what is going on is vital if you’re going to spend a significant amount of time away from ‘the good bit’ of the gameplay.

18. Yosharian says:

ID should just give up on games and concentrate on making tech FOR games. They don’t appear to have anyone working in their company who actually knows how to make a good game, but they have some interesting tech ideas.

19. The First Door says:

I just finished Rage and I loved it! I found the character and level design much more interesting that most games, with a nice variety of different enemy styles.

One point I do agree with though is the ending level is a bit rubbish. It’s a shame really, because the two levels before it are some of the best in the game, too. Still, it was 20ish hours I don’t regret spending at all.

20. DocSeuss says:

Rage was great.

It started with the Zeldaesque overworld idea (where the overworld is now Twisted Metal), with the dungeons being shooter levels. It used an inventory system a bit like Bioshock’s, but with far more compelling (SPIDERFRIENDS! BOOMERANGS! RC CARS!) stuff. The enemies were great, the animations are the best IN GAMING HISTORY, and the levels were pretty solid. I enjoyed it a great deal more than Doom 3, that’s for sure.

Honestly, the only things that sucked were the story and pop-in, but playing an id game for story is like joining the girl scouts for story. It doesn’t make any sense! I guess if you were looking forward to a great boss battle at the end, Rage might have disappointed, but so what? If “not having a boss battle” made Rage suck, then Half-Life 2 constitutes a war crime and is the worst game ever made of all time forever, because it makes everyone weak and you basically just walk through one-hit-killing everyone.

It was an awesome game.

21. virtualmatrix258 says:

I was hoping they were going to be smart and forget about Rage and focus on Doom 4. Doom isn’t my favorite IP, reason being…it scares the hell out of me and I’m not very fond of horror games. Doom stands out, it’s history and it’s a PC game at it’s core and I like that. Rage was made for consoles for consolites, not PC gamers, John Carmack even hinted at that. Console first, PC second…if not 3rd or 4th. The game was just okay, nothing more, didn’t innovate anything. Between the horrible ‘texture’ streaming, if you can call them textures, horrible 65 fov and various bugs, linearity and no real focus at all it’s hard to name the good things like; decent framerate (depending on your video card), fun gun-play, and the wingstick; that’s all in a nut shell.

I really wish they’d just forget about it and give us Doom 4. If they’re using that awful engine again, than PC is going to need some special attention because the last thing you want is a Doom game to end up like Rage. I can see it now, full on rioting in the streets. You don’t turn your back on PC gamers with a historically PC franchise. John even said two days ago that it’s difficult even to run Doom 3 on current gen consoles, yet he, excuse the term, “massages the saddlebag” of every moron who holds a controller thinking they have a bona fide supercomputer in their living room. I understand he wants that $$$ but there’s a certain amount of respect involved when you’re in his shoes.

• Strontium Mike says:

I played Rage on both console and pc, it was just a mess. It was too much of a pc game for the console and too much of a console game for the pc.

22. animlboogy says:

Rage was the perfect example of how much cohesive overall design matters. It solves so many of the perceived problems with the modern FPS: It has non-linear options. The guns feel amazing. The game (post-patch) runs well on almost anything, as I can attest when I tried it and got 60 FPS out of it on a GT220. It gives you vehicle options that control nicely. It gives you a world to travel. It has varied gameplay.

And I couldn’t stand to play it anymore after 4 hours.

They need to make another Rage, just not with the actual Rage IP. Nobody needs another post-apocalyptic world filled with canyons and shantytowns. But an open-world shooter? With vehicles? And great gunplay? Sure, do that again, and with feeling this time.

Oh, and how about some proper fucking deathmatch? How does Id, of all the developers in the world, make a game with such strong gunplay, and not have a DM mode? Even just basic stuff? How did that happen?

23. otaku4225 says:

I hear such good things about RAGE. Too bad my copy crashes all the time. No amount of amd patches, directx updating, cache verifying, de-fragmentation, can fix :/

24. DigitalSignalX says:

I returned my copy to Amazon a month after purchase because it was still unplayable on an Radeon HD cards, even after countless hours patching and messing about with config files. Fuck Rage. Fuck it in the ass basically. ‘Zon was awesome about it, and their support understood completely, with so many ppl having similar issues.

25. Jason Moyer says:

I enjoyed Rage (on my old, outdated Nvidia GPU, it’s unplayable on anything else). The shooting was great, with enemies that actually tried to avoid being killed and actually reacted mostly believably to being shot or hit with my wingsticks. I love the artstyle and the world/character design. I thought the story, while not amazing, was no worse than any other post-apoc game, probably more plausible than most post-apoc scenarios.

What ultimately killed it for me (and why I recently uninstalled it) is the terrible tech. The state that the engine is in, even after multiple patches, is embarrassing. After years of putting out games that were little more than tech demos for their engines (i.e. every game they released before and after Quake 1), it blows my mind that they wasted all of that content in an engine that is such garbage.

I’d agree with people who say the game is gorgeous, but I think that’s a result of the art design. It looks really good (from a distance) despite the horrible engine, not because of it.

26. Beelzebud says:

If only they had some plans for Rage while they were making it.

27. Metalhead9806 says:

ID did two things right in Rage.

AI and atmospheric corridor shooting.

All the other crap like the Racing, Hub towns, crafting, the illusion of exploration could have been cut.

I would play Rage and look forward to the next underground area bit. Everything else felt like it was in the way.

28. marchfawn says:

I’ve got 254 hours on Rage and consider it one of my best games along with all the COD Modern Warfare games. I don’t understand how anyone can say it is mediocre.

• Notsohightech says:

I myself found Rage to be a very good game. I played it three times and never had any problems. I experienced none of the problems that so many others have. I play it on my PC and use a Logitech trackball mouse. I can’t figure out why so many people have so many problems. Maybe they are all so hightech that they have their equipment totally screwed up. Just saying.