Black Mesa Invites You To Look At Its Bowels

By Alec Meer on June 11th, 2012 at 8:00 pm.

There’s a big, big part of me (which may or may not be my conscience) that feels grumpily determined to not ever post about the e’er-delayed fan Half-Life remake Black Mesa. I’ve been a member of the never gonna happen club for a long time now, but in the interests of OBJECTIVE, SOBER REPORTAGE I will pretend to take the devs at their word when they tell us they’ll be finally releasing something ‘soon-ish’ and show you these new screenshots which purportedly “really give you the first glimpse into the gameplay of Black Mesa.”

They come via the Source-powered mod project’s Book of Faces page, which just did that ‘give us 20,000 Likes and we’ll continue our marketing campaign’ business to ‘unlock’ them.

In fairness, these screens do suggest a lot of Half-Life critical locations and enemies have now been (re)created. We’ve got a Bullsquid, Grunts, a Gargantua, human soldiers and helichoppers and even a cameo from the G-Man. The ‘G’ stands for Gary, you know.

Here you go. Click to embiggen, or see even higher-res originals over on the BM Facebook page.

Apparently, “This is just the beginning. We have more in store for you in the near future! Hold on to your lab coats!” But I don’t have a lab coat. Should I get one?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Torgen says:

“If twenty thousand people spam our Facebook page we will continue advertising our game” is the most surefire way on Earth to guarantee I will *never* visit your Facebook page. (And goes a long way towards convincing me to write you and your game off.)

• Timthos says:

It’s a free mod, you know.

• Toberoth says:

It’s still bullshit.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Sorry, you can use “it’s a free mod” as a magic wand to wave away criticisms. In this case, the attention-whorish tendencies of these “Facebook-like” marketing schemes can’t at all be justified with the fact that it’s a free box.

• BioSnark says:

“attention-whorish tendencies of these “Facebook-like” marketing schemes”
          How is that different from any other marketing campaign?

I don’t like or use Facebook and stopped expecting anything from this mod years ago but friend endorsements or recommendations are extremely effective forms of marketing. Steam, for instance, doesn’t have this feature for your convenience and they don’t push it and the “wishlist” for altruistic reasons during their holiday competitions. They do it because it increases interest and sales among social circles.

You could say these sorts of marketing campaigns manipulate our propensity to trust friends but you could also view them as among the most democratic of marketing strategies. Democratic, I say, because if people are interested in seeing more promotional material then they can click a “like button” because they obviously like it and this promotes it to their friends. I see it as both democratic and manipulative but not inherently better or worse than any other marketing strategy. As long as people aren’t blind to the fact that Facebook or Steam features are marketing, they can choose whether they want to participate or not with a clear perspective.

I wouldn’t have participated even if I used Facebook but stories about this mod are interesting in a Duke Nukem Forever sort of way. For everyone looking forward to it, I’d say, “don’t hold your breath” but if you were you’d be long dead…

• RaveTurned says:

It’s no different. All marketing is bullshit. That doesn’t stop this from also being bullshit. It’s just more egregious bullshit because Black Mesa is not a commercial enterprise. We expect this kind of bullshit from the triple-A space, not a mod team.

• protospork says:

If I have to ‘like’ everything just to get further information, there’s going to be no differentiation between that likespam and the things I do genuinely like, and my opinion as a friend is going to be worth nothing.

• Eclipse says:

“Sorry, you can use “it’s a free mod” as a magic wand to wave away criticisms.” mmm… yes you can

• Torgen says:

How does anything I wrote not apply, simply because it is a mod?

• JedExodus says:

Because they’re not asking for your money, just for you to click a thumbs up button on a social site if you’re a member.

Stick to your guns and refuse to play it, that’ll show them!!

• Torgen says:

It’s pointless attention-whoring. Why should I *beg* for more advertisement? All stunts like this do is give some marketing person (or mod team member) a false sense of accomplishment while giving Facebook more data on everyone who participates, enabling them to make more money from selling advertisements targeted at you.

What I’d like to know is, why is it that when other companies have done exact stunt, it’s been villified by both the writers and commenters on RPS, yet in this case we have people jumping to these “poor modder’s” defense? Bullshit marketing is bullshit marketing, no matter whose label is being shilled.

• JedExodus says:

I don’t have to agree with Alec Meer or any of the commenters here thankfully. I think you’re seeing conspiracies where there are none, it’s just a bit of drum beating as they gear up for release.

• Toberoth says:

It’s not a conspiracy, it’s just annoying marketing and there’s absolutely no reason to defend it.

• TsunamiWombat says:

No there is a conspiracy! That’s just what they want you to think! The girlscouts are in on it! Anglets have a sinister purpose! DON’T TRUST THE TOMATO!

• Wreckdum says:

LOL @ so many tin foil hats. It’s called FREE marketing. If the game is free they don’t have a budget for marketing. That’s where things like social media advertising come in. I wish I could get a glimpse of the fantasy world you people live in where money grows on trees and these guys can make a game with rainbows and unicorn farts.

Most of the time when people do a free mod like this it is their entrance into the industry. If they get a lot of people playing their mod they get discovered and hired by a good company. We live in a capitalist society. They need a lot of people playing their game in order to be successful. A handful of nerds in a lonely pocket of the internet isn’t going to secure their financial future.

And I love how so many people are worried about their privacy on things like Facebook. Most of the time they are the biggest 0 contributors to society anyway. Why would any one give a flying shit about any of your information other than your big mac and large coke intake? No one will ever know who you are specifically. Get over yourself.

• Vivian says:

Thing only exists because of genuine passion, and they don’t have a budget, I know a lot of people who use FB for advertising personal projects, mainly because it’s free and a lot of people look at it. If this genuinely gets you angry, rather than excited that this is an excellent looking thing that a lot of people have put a lot of work into and that you might get to enjoy for FREE, you might be a bit too easy to get angry.

• furiannn says:

waaaaaaa I cant be bothered to click a button. grow up whiner

• Toberoth says:

Erm. What does it have to do with growing up? It’s not immature to decry a shitty form of marketing.

• Styles says:

Yes! Be thankful you have been given the opportunity to BEG for more advertising! …you can be a “grown up” consumer whore too!

But seriously, how does not liking the advertising approach suggest that he’s immature? Great leap of logic there sherlock. Makes so much sense. What your comment says is “STOP HAVING AN OPINION THAT’S DIFFERENT TO MINE!!!” ….and THAT’S immature.

• Text_Fish says:

Writing a mod off on the basis that they dared to use the biggest free marketting tool on the internet to reach new fans is pretty immature, I’d say. Not quite as immature as the ensuing flamewar granted, but still not a great start.

• Torgen says:

Disliking shitty advertising is immature? Madison Ave will be overjoyed to hear that. I write off any “like us on Facebook or we won’t bombard you with more advertisement” campaign. Thanks for taking my opinion totally out of context and making up your own private reality regarding my thoughts, however.

• Text_Fish says:

Oh right, so you DIDN’T say “(And goes a long way towards convincing me to write you and your game off.)”?

• subedii says:

I don’t see the problem with that statement at all.

A bad marketing tactic (or one that you view as such) is more likely to dissuade you from using the product. And no, before it’s brought up, “free” or not doesn’t really change that.

• Text_Fish says:

It does change it though! As long as he doesn’t take part in the facebook campaign then he has absolutely nothing to lose by playing the mod, unless it turns out to be crap which is completely unrelated to facebook or advertising of any kind!

• subedii says:

It changes your opinion of the product, and the people behind it. And that’s reason enough, even if the product is good, to not want to support it.

Marketing like this is supposed to make people want the product and back the creators, but if it backfires and does the opposite for some people, I don’t see how the former is the correct viewpoint whilst the latter is the wrong one.

It’s not like anybody here’s got a particular dearth of other good titles to spend their limited time on.

• Text_Fish says:

It’s a mod team drumming up some publicity for their hard work, essentially by asking people to spread the word to their Facebook buddies. It’s no worse than asking people to retweet the same material on Twitter.

If that bothers you then you don’t need to take part (in fact, considering your apparent hatred of Facebook I’m going to assume you actually can’t take part), but I don’t see what it has to do with the quality of the final product.

• Godwhacker says:

It’s got nothing to do with the quality of the final product. Facebook ‘like’ campaigns are horrible because they get people to become the advertising, tacitly promoting products to everyone they know.

Some people don’t particularly like being used as free banner ads just because they’re interested in something.

• Text_Fish says:

The people who don’t want to publicize the mod via facebook don’t have to. I’m not criticizing Torgen for his views on Facebook or advertising, I’m criticizing him for saying that it’s going to effect the likeliness of his playing the mod.

• StormTec says:

Then those people can just decide to not become “free banner ads”? Surely, the promise of more pictures isn’t going to create some moral crisis in the minds of such people?

Thinking about it, I wonder if these people are also the kinds of people who don’t tell anyone if they like, or are interested in something. Since that would make them free advertisement, wouldn’t it?

• JedExodus says:

I don’t have Facebook myself so maybe you have to be a member to understand the hate.

The reason i don’t have Facebook is because of all the reasons people have mentioned, I don’t wanna be a banner ad and I just don’t feel comfortable being out there exposing myself on the web.

Is ‘liking’ something on Facebook really that big a deal if you’re on it, or are people jealous that they’re left out of the build-up?

• The13thRonin says:

It doesn’t matter anyway because your children’s children won’t even be alive by the time this thing actually releases, haha.

• unbiasedfanboy says:

Social media campaigns are really the thing small developers like this can afford. No need to get worked up about it. They are fairly effective and cheap. How else would you propose they spread the word about their game.

• Kektain says:

There’s always just suggesting people like them on facebook without some silly “X thousand likes for more advertising!”. You know, not cynically trying to use people.

But with all the defense of this sort of marketing gimmick, maybe it’s what we deserve.

• MountAndGames says:

Maybe they have worded it clumsily, but they’re promising their fans more proof that they’re making progress, in return for clicking a button and spreading the word. Modding tends to stick to fairly niche websites, and while gaming sites like this will give them better coverage, these guys have poured years of their lives into this project, and they want to spread it across a site that increasingly ties together the western world. Is that really wrong? People can ignore it entirely, be uninterested, be interested but somehow averse to endorsing it, or love it and click the like button. Much as you can villainise the methods they’re using to do so, i can equally say that they’re offering you something for being a fan of their work and doing them the very small favour of clicking a button. Good on them i say, how is giving people on facebook the choice whether to look at it and then whether to support it, supposed to be worse than making misleading tv ad appealing to the lowest common denominator, in the way AAA games are marketed?

• Urthman says:

If you’re that prickly about “like”-ing things on Facebook, I don’t believe you ever would have visited their Facebook page anyway, which means you’re just being whiny and dramatic about stuff other people are doing off in some corner of the internet that you don’t ever visit anyway.

• D3xter says:

I’ve long since blocked that disease from communicating and gathering data from any PC I use by adding all their domains to the hosts file on all my PCs so I won’t see any symbols or chats or whatever new thing of theirs is “in”: http://cariblogger.com/2010/07/how-to-block-facebook-using-hosts-file/

Every company/everyone using that cesspool of voluntary self-monitoring as marketing gimmick loses big points in my book…

• theblazeuk says:

Well I’ll never click on the like button either but I don’t see the problem with it.

• darkath says:

Can we have a pun thread next time instead of this needlessly long whining thread ?

• Contrafibularity says:

Serves you right for using Facebook.

Just delete your account, you know you want to, then set up a HOSTS file block to their addresses and those of Like-buttons (only a dozen or so atm). Fixed.

2. JerreyRough says:

You don’t have a lab coat? BAH! I bet you don’t have an interstellar hitch-hiker towel either!

3. whexican says:

I want to believe!

4. MuscleHorse says:

Fuck the haters, this still looks mighty impressive. I look forward to delving back into the doomed facility.

5. Toberoth says:

I really do want this mod to happen. It’s been ages since I played through the original HL and this would give me a great excuse. I just hope it’s up to scratch–the original game set the bar VERY high indeed.

• Aemony says:

They were first going for a 2009 release date (as evidenced by the 2008 trailer) but was disappointed in the lack of quality all throughout the project during that time, after which they took what seems to have been 3 extra long years to develop it and ensure a high standard across the bar. They try to aim at the Valve-level of quality as much as they can (and from interviews it sure sounds as if they understand just how ridiculously high that level is).

Though it’s important to note that this isn’t supposed to be Half-Life HD. This is their own interpretation of what Half-Life would’ve been if it were developed in modern times, or something like that.

• Toberoth says:

Yup, I’ve been following it on and off for a while, I just worry that by aiming for Valve quality they’re going to shoot themselves in their collective foot. They’re relatively inexperienced compared to Valve, so it’s highly unlikely that they’ll be able to produce anything comparable in terms of quality. I think a lot of people (myself included) actually would be happy with just an HD remake of the original Half Life, using the source engine. That’s why I started getting excited about this project in the first place, but they’re taking so long to get it out of the door that my enthusiasm is really beginning to wane, and, as others have noted, the Source engine is beginning to look increasingly dated.

Disclaimer: I appreciate that they’re doing this for free, so it’s not really fair to complain about them taking a while. I’m just expressing my concerns that A) this won’t get out the door and B) If it does, it’s not going to live up to the expectations that the years-long hype campaign has created.

• PodX140 says:

was really sort-of hoping it was HL:HD. Try as I might, I just can’t look past the graphics of HL1, it just doesn’t work. Like, I can play old N64 games all day, even dos games, but that polygon low res texture… it just doesn’t work :S

6. iteyoidar says:

It’s beginning to look a bit dated from those screenshots. Hopefully there will be a mod team around to bring it up to modern standards on the Crytek or Half Life 3 engine after release.

• DrGonzo says:

I still think Source is probably the best looking engine. All the new ones look blurry, aliased smudgey messes to me. Could do with a few tweaks, improve terrain, a few effects here and there I suppose. But Portal 2 is still the nicest looking game I’ve ever played.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

You haven’t seen many engines then? The Source Engine is an aging mess that can’t compete with it’s contemporaries and still, to this day, uses a hideous editor that hasn’t changed substantially from the Doom era. The games look nice inspite of, not because of the engine and that’s due to Valve’s artists. Unreal 3, Frostbite 2, Id Tech 4, Cry Engine 2 & 3 and RAGE are all far better engines, and listing ‘blurry’ and ‘aliased’ are basically infantile criticisms.

• Memph says:

Source may be ageing, but it’s hardly a mess and Valve have been adding to and altering it enough to keep it relevant imo. It’s only major letdown is mapsize, before having to load another.

I’m 100% with DrGonzo – most newer bespangled engines spend far, far too much power on menial effects and not enough on providing a nice crisp image. Personally, I despise this FXAA crap and DoF effects that reduce the image (therefore the gameworld i’m supposed to be immersed in) into a blurry soup, in which I can sometimes hardly make out if there’s a head peeking over a fence, or if it’s just the rough-as-toast aliasing making every diagonal line dance like a polygraph in a room full of politicians.

Give me clarity any day over excessive bloom, depth of field, reflective boob-armour, volumetric tesselated pubes and a cartload of other screen cluttering crud that, in most cases of competetive gaming, just gets switched off anyway. I feel like a complete gump sometimes booting up brand new games at 1680×1050 on ‘high detail’ only for them to still look like shit.

• dE says:

There’s another issue with all the bloom and blur:
            Motion Sickness kicks in quite nicely.

And quite honestly, I don’t really get the comment of Source being an old engine. Yes, the engine is old. So is the unreal engine. Somehow most people seem to ignore that the Source Engine was updated several times.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

You realise when you say ‘those other engines’, you’re not actually complaining about the engines themselves but the visual post-processing effects developers avail themselves of in their games, or a lack of multi-sample anti-aliasing that you seem to be unaware of.

Further, how is an editor unchanged from the 1990′s a boon to development or artistry? There are innumerable modders who perform countless hours of needless work because Source games are popular, not because it has a streamlined, efficient or even effective production pipeline, but because the install base is larger.

In fact, nothing you’ve written in your comment goes beyond a reactionary jeremiad against design decisions rather than the relative merits of the engines themselves. Also yes, graphics and aesthetics should be subordinate or be extraneous to the ‘competitive scene’, really now.

• Memph says:

As the consumer, I couldn’t give much of a stuff how the editor works tbh. I have used Hammer, but no others so I couldn’t argue the toss over that anyway. All I care about is how the game looks once it’s up and running on my screen, which is the topic here. And yes, not catering to basic MSAA that we’ve had for yonks, is an engine deficiency. Anything on U3 either has none whatsoever, or some hacked-in, botch-job edge-blur effect instead.

• Durkan says:

“A jeremiad is a long literary work, usually in prose, but sometimes in verse, in which the author bitterly laments the state of society and its morals in a serious tone of sustained invective, and always contains a prophecy of society’s imminent downfall.”

Jeremiad…. really now?

I think your point would be better served by not resorting to such sesquipedalian loquaciousness.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

It’s perfectly acceptable mock-hyperbole to use against sincerely held hyperbole.

Deal with it.gif

• Memph says:

edit: retracting this, rather than arguing for the sake of arguing. standing point: bad aliasing in modern games is bad.

• Durkan says:

• theblazeuk says:

This is basically an infantile post though isn’t it, where you got a bit excited with a thesaurus.

• Malibu Stacey says:

The Source Engine is an aging mess that can’t compete with it’s contemporaries

Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, Dear Esther and not to mention Dota 2 might have something to say about that.

• Urthman says:

I agree that the Source engine does what it does as well as or better than any other modern engine. But it seems pretty limited. It doesn’t do the kind of huge, open, dramatic vistas that are what I usually think of when I talk about games with wonderful graphics.

• Aemony says:

Graphics vs. Aesthetics. I couldn’t care less about how “dated” it looks in terms of graphics as long as it looks aesthetically pleasing. A game that looks good in terms of graphics but isn’t aesthetically pleasing ages much faster and worse than a game that looks bad in terms of graphics but is aesthetically pleasing.

A personal example would be HL1 compared to Deus Ex. I can go back and play HL1 at any time due to how it just works, aesthetically speaking, while Deus Ex I can’t, since it looks much more dated than HL1, *even though* it features more advanced graphics and such.

• iteyoidar says:

Deus Ex had better architecture. The interiors in Half Life simply weren’t harmonious, I don’t think they even bothered to stack their crates in accordance with the golden ratio

• Durkan says:

“Dear sir,

On a recent visit to your top secret science facility I couldn’t help but notice the un-hamonious box stacking that seems rife in your establishment.

In all locations on all levels, none of your boxes were stacked in the visually pleasing manner in keeping with the golden ratio. It looks unkept and disorderly. Do you not know the importance of Feng Shui in the work place?

I tried to bring this matter up with a number of staff during my visit. I’m disapointed to say I did not get a satisfactory response from any of them. Many simply screamed and ran away, another (wearing the most peculiar head garb) actually tried to physically harm me! Amazingly this employee was stopped by another bearded fellow with a crowbar!! Despite his initial helpful nature when I asked him about the box stacking he was seemingly struck mute, neither was he able to reliably point me in the direction of more senior management. I later learned this fellow is your employee of the month! What low standards indeed!!

Never mind the myriad of other vermin which seem to have free run of the place.

I can’t help but think that my poor treatment is a direct result of the terrible negative impact on the psyche of your personnel caused by your laxadaisical long term storage policy.

As such, If you are unable to provide me with suitable evidence that your box stacking will improve I shall be forced to take this up with my senator!

Yours…”

• povu says:

Speaking of Deus Ex, graphics, and mods that never seem to be finished… I wonder how HDTP is doing.

‘We are not dead’ seems to be the status of the mod for the last couple of years.

7. Shooop says:

Make this happen.

Not touching Facebook with a 50 meter clown pole though. Thanks for hosting the images yourselves guys.

• DrGonzo says:

What’s wrong with Facebook?

• Shooop says:

Besides it being nothing but an “invade my privacy and share whatever is there with everyone everywhere” consent form and another way to pollute the web with meaningless bullshit like Twitter?

I’ll have to get back to you on that.

• Aemony says:

Facebook doesn’t invade your privacy nor does it share everything with everyone. You make it to whatever you use it for, it’s not like they (or Twitter) are forcing you at gunpoint to use it in the exact way as everyone else.

As for me, I’m perfectly content in just sharing everything with my friends, or the friends of my friends. However whenever I so wishes, I can further restrict everything to just my friends, or even to only myself.

So meh, I think your point is moot.

• Brun says:

This. Facebook only invades the privacy of the careless or stupid.

• Shooop says:

You never read the ToS did you? What am I saying, of course you didn’t.

• Aemony says:

“While you are allowing us to use the information we receive about you, you always own all of your information. Your trust is important to us, which is why we don’t share information we receive about you with others unless we have:
            - received your permission;
            - given you notice, such as by telling you about it in this policy; or
            - removed your name or any other personally identifying information from it.”

Most of what they share is aggravated stuff. And you know what? If you don’t want games and apps to share your information, don’t use them! And if you don’t want your interests shared, don’t advertise them on Facebook! You don’t want your precious photos shared? DON’T UPLOAD THEM!

You see where I am getting at? Nobody is forcing you to upload stuff you don’t want shared nor is anyone forcing you to give them permission to share the stuff you’ve upload.

But who am I kidding? You guys are obviously to dumb to use the system as it wasn’t intended. You must and always will be using the system in the exact way the evil overlords of Facebook wishes you to do, so they can profit as much as they can on your gullible and ignorant senses.

Too harsh? Sorry about that, but I do make an extremely valid point. Fact of the matter is that Facebook can’t share what you don’t upload. That sentence by itself should be enough to make you realize that you are in control. It isn’t as if Facebook automatically hacks your e-mail account and uploads it all to the social site.

Now get off the bandwagon of hating Facebook and just realize that you can use it however you want.

• Highstorm says:

- received your permission;
            - given you notice, such as by telling you about it in this policy; or
            - removed your name or any other personally identifying information from it.”

You’ll notice it’s or, not and, meaning any one of those can preclude both of the others. They’ll do whatever they want with your information because they gave you notice in the very policy you just quoted. The rest of the points don’t matter.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

Scams tend to be targeted to naive or thick people who think they’re smarter than they are. The person who gets their money taken at a game of three card monte genuinely believes they’re smart than the person pulling the scam for instance.

In the same manner anyone who thinks they are too smart to have Facebook or whoever abuse their personal details are the ones most likely to get taken for a ride and give advertisers and other corporations way more information about themselves than they thought.

• Lamb Chop says:

They might not share your content unless you give expressed consent, but Facebook does use aggregated demographic information for marketing purposes. If you have a problem with being a data point, there’s not much alternative besides declining the service.

• dE says:

Want to know what people talk about when they call Facebook a data hungry monstrosity of privacy destruction? Install the Firefox Addon “Ghostery” and see when and how Facebook collects the data. Just give it a try. Should be funny.
            None of that asks for permission by the way. And unless you have a crystal ball for future reading purpsoses, you’re out of luck when you visit a new website. Everytime there’s a like button, it sends userdata to facebook. Even if you’re not clicking it. There’s tracking too. And that’s not even scratching the big issues like datamining people NOT on facebook, the tagging issue with photos etc.

• D3xter says:

Ah, so many people gloriously unaware of tracking cookies giving Facebook and similar providers data like what websites they visit, for how long, what they are clicking on/looking at and all that. Also deliciously ignorant of what can be done with cross-referencing and datamining: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~shmat/shmat_oak08netflix.pdf and how much data or how much information they actually collect: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/internet/austrian-student-takes-on-facebook/articleshow/10712925.cms and what kind of governments and organizations gain access to such, oh… you’re just sharing things with your friends :P

You’re not “using” Facebook, they are using you, YOU are the product xD

• YourMessageHere says:

What’s right with facebook? Everything it does can be done better another way; the only reasons to use it are 1) laziness/convenience addiction and 2) peer pressure. And the privacy stuff noted above, of course.

What concerns me: when precisely did people start actively wanting loads and loads of people to constantly dripfeed them an endless diet of inane and uninteresting information? That seems to me what facebook and twitter are. I can’t think of anything I’d want less. I like my privacy, and that means both not telling other people things, and not having them constantly tell me things. It’s annoying enough having steam pop up messages about what games my friends are playing and whether they’re online or not; having that all the time about everything would drive me utterly mad.

• MadTinkerer says:

“What concerns me: when precisely did people start actively wanting loads and loads of people to constantly dripfeed them an endless diet of inane and uninteresting information?”

People have always wanted this since the dawn of time. Not everyone, of course, but most people, indeed. Traditionally, it takes the form of inane lunchtime chatter / “water cooler talk”. Our wonderful information age has provided a way for chatter to take place across the entire world 24/7.

Omigosh, these chips are so awesome. It doesn’t matter that you’re not here for me to offer one to you: THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW.

• Malibu Stacey says:

I guess you don’t know but there’s a simple checkbox to disable notifications when people come online or start a game in Steam.

8. JedExodus says:

Why’s everyone getting on their grumpy box? You don’t like the way they’re campaigning the free game that they worked on for eight years and didn’t and shan’t recieve a penny for?

Goddamn, people are shit sometimes.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, this is a completely free project done as a labor of love by fans. Complaining that they’re not delivering fast and professionally enough is completely missing the point.

If you really do feel like getting up on your soapbox and moaning, then just pause, think about what you’re about to say, then slap yourself for being a bit of a self-centered tosser.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Maybe because it’s the fact that certain attention-whore, self-righteious pricks continue to wrest away attention from other mods that DO come out and are swept under the rug. Or did you forget all the Mod-of-the-Year awards it kept winning thanks to some nice ballot stuffing, shunning other more deserving mods that actually DID come out?

• ResonanceCascade says:

Oh those utter bastards! God, the nerve of some of these fucks, to win an award.

I agree, people are shit sometimes.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Winning undeserving awards, yes. Year after year, running on nothing but pure hype sweeping actually new and original and BETTER ideas under the rug that actually went somewhere (e.g., actually released).

But you knew that little detail. You just chose to ignore it to be a little prick yourself ;)

• ResonanceCascade says:

I’m the prick? You’re whining that someone won an award that you don’t think they deserved. Go be petulant somewhere else.

• Pointless Puppies says:

Yes, you are. You didn’t address the fact that they took away attention from more deserving awards, you instead chose to go “HAW HAW THEY B WINNING AWARDZ THAT’S TOTALLY THE ONLY THING YOU’RE COMPLAINING ABOUT”. These people are an active cancer on the mod community with all the attention they’re hogging, it has nothing to do about “simply winning awards”.

• JedExodus says:

You can’t help that people are very enthusiastic about the mod. Ballet stuffing or not I don’t see how you can blame the devs for it.

• ResonanceCascade says:

That’s the most childish excuse for whining about something I’ve ever heard. God, grow up.

I’m surprised you didn’t carpet bomb Ridley Scott’s house when Gladiator won Best Picture at the Academy Awards.

• Pointless Puppies says:

It’s amusing you haven’t said anything meaningful, Resonance. All you’ve done is acted like a douche and whined about what I’m posting.

My complaint is legitimate, your complaint about mine is not. My complaint is based on the fact that the developers continued to do a disservice to the mod community in general as they hogged the limelight for several years simply running on the fumes of hype, overshadowing other more harder working modders with more original ideas than simply a remake of a popular game, and they had far more to show than simple trailers or screenshots. They’re not even humble. Any time anyone even has the “gall ” to ask what they’ve been doing for so many years they’re met with the most rude and condescending attitude I’ve seen in any modding team. They’re all talk and no show.

Your rebuttal is “childish whining” and “grow up”, with zero elaboration. Who’s being childish here, exactly?

• ResonanceCascade says:

That isn’t a complaint. Blaming someone for “hogging the limelight” is insane. They got excited about their project, they built a community, and gamers responded with hype. Point out exactly what was done wrong here.

The fact that you don’t understand this, or see why your points don’t really deserve any kind of rebuttal beyond common sense, is surprising.

If you want to argue that the devs are rude jerks, argue that. But don’t give me this “they hogged the limelight from more deserving chaps” nonsense. As though each bit of coverage Black Mesa got was just stolen from some other mod that would have gotten it instead. ABSURD.

• roryok says:

Look at my willy!

• Torgen says:

Oh please, look in that mirror yourself.

• JedExodus says:

Yeah, it’s totally me being selfish here.

There’s no point in even replying anymore is there?

EDIT: Comment probably wasn’t directed at me, sorry!

…unless it actuallty was, in which case screw you!

• Brun says:

Not unless your comment is in support of some obscure, programmer-graphics indie platformer. Those are okay.

• Shooop says:

Only complaints I see here are about Facebook.

RPS however is posting the pictures here though so we don’t have to slog through that virtual trash heap. How thoughtful of them!

• JedExodus says:

Naww. Very first comment states that the poster is considering writing the game off because of the Facebook thing.

I don’t understand it, it’s all a very extreme reaction over something that really doesn’t matter.

• LionsPhil says:

Especially when you could write the game off over the far more concrete issue brought up in the last set of RPS interviews that they’re, direct quote, “making it somewhat palatable to modern gamers”.

• JedExodus says:

If I were to guess this’ll basically be tweaks to “On a Rail” and a lot of Xen. But who knows, maybe Gordons suit gives him regenerating health and Barney comes down on a chopper to whisk you off to an airborne turret section.

9. MrWolf says:

Please don’t be vaporware….Please don’t be vaporware….Please don’t be vaporware….

10. felisc says:

so, basically everybody is angry here ?

anyway, i’m sure moderate enjoyment will be had when this comes out.

• Toberoth says:

*puts hand up*

I’m not angry! Slightly miffed at the marketing and worried about the state of the mod, but tentatively excited nonetheless.

• dE says:

Ever since that one Diablo Thing, comments have set their sights on youtube quality. Submarine style.

• YourMessageHere says:

I’m angry about facebook generally. I’m really positive about Black Mesa, assuming it actually does happen.

• ResonanceCascade says:

rabble rabble rabble rabble

• Grape Flavor says:

Anyone with half a brain has realized by now that the commentary on RPS is not really any more intelligent or sophisticated than that on the worst dregs of the internet.

Better grammar, yes. But despite (or perhaps because of) all the pretentious hipster trappings most of the opinions are as infantile and ill-formed as on YouTube.

11. Vinraith says:

If the game ever materializes, I’ll happily give it a try. It’s certainly got potential, after all.

That said, a Facebook “like” campaign is a good way to gain exposure at the cost of goodwill, and I’ll certainly have nothing to do with it.

12. Big Murray says:

I don’t mind people advertising via Facebook. That’s just knowing how to use marketing tools.

It’s that they’ve gone so many years building up hopes and expectations and thrashed them mercilessly with missed release dates, silence, and an overall apparent desire to create flashy trailers and screenshots rather than actually create the mod that everyone wants that bugs me. If you’ve let people down for so long, you don’t come and make people jump through hoops to get news for the thing that they’ve been waiting on for years.

13. Soapeh says:

I wonder how much money they could drum up through Kickstarter, and whether it would spur on development at a greater rate.

• LionsPhil says:

They’d have a good shot at being “the” Kickstarter project that burns backers badly by never shipping anything and ruins it for everyone else.

• subedii says:

Basically. They would have been far more sensible to have, if nothing else, released in level-based instalments instead of trying to re-work and re-release the entire game in one go.

They would have learned more faster, they would have shown what they were aiming for, they would have given what community they had a chance to praise or critique their approach to certain aspects of the game, and most importantly, they’d have a far higher chance of getting to the end of the project.

I’ve played a fair few of the mods released for HL2 over the years. Some really exceptional stuff. Heck, stuff that even got people hired by Valve.

If they’re going to make it to the end, more power to them. But frankly it’s not hard to understand why there’s less enthusiasm now than there used to be. I was enthusiastic about the mod once. Back in 2008 when they released a trailer. Three years after they started development.

14. techpops says:

I don’t post much in the comments, despite reading most of the articles. But as this is really bugging me now, I’m having to get off my lazy lurking behind and type stuff.

RPS is great for reasons we all know, I don’t need to repeat why it’s such a great site to visit daily. I will add though that the comments used to be a lot nicer. People were more friendly, the humour is still here but there’s also a recent bitterness flowing through the comments that I’m afraid is catching on.

I noticed it spike after the Diablo release. People were really angry about that game and now that same kind of quick temper is burning through other articles comments.

Remember the three golden rules of posting.

1. Something about posting
    2. The second one was a good one, i forget now what it was.
    3. And this was the most important one!

So lets all remember that and be the most amazing commenter’s we can be.

*Leaves Kinder Eggs all around for everyone to enjoy because it’s not just a sweet, it’s also a toy!*

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

DIABLOOOOOO WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY RPS FUUUUUUURRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHCCCKKK!!!!!

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

BTW what’s Diablo?

• ResonanceCascade says:

I know in my case, it’s that I just quit smoking and am slightly more irritable than usual at the moment.

In my heart of hearts, I still wish hugs and kisses and butterfly candies to all of you.

• Grape Flavor says:

I love the sense of humor the RPS staff have and generally find them to be very good writers. And I love how they cover more interesting games in a more interesting manner than “mainstream” game sites. That’s what keeps me coming here.

But the comments are generally terrible (and getting worse), and the authored content really suffers every time they step away from actual gaming content in favor of attempting social commentary. Which is more and more often these days.

• Lemming says:

Comments are usually fine. The problem is, when you post about something like Diablo you get an influx of Blizzfans from their community, and when you post about the Black Mesa mod, you get their lot coming here as well.

• Thirdstar says:

See this is what is wrong with the comments. Whenever something goes “wrong” it’s always because “those people I don’t like” came here and started posting. Them, Those, Fans. Darn, why do those pesky people show up and comment on our holy RPS comments section.

• mondomau says:

You forgot sweeping generalisations and elitism!

• roryok says:

You idiot.

Remember the three golden rules of posting.
      1. Something about posting

1. No, NOTHING about posting

2. The second one was a good one, i forget now what it was.

2. The first was way better, and you’re an idiot for thinking different, idiot. I hate you.

3. And this was the most important one!

3. This is categorically not true, and has never been. PC gaming is not killing piracy despite what the fat cats want you to believe. I am smarter than all you people and commenting on this website is beneath me.

15. ReV_VAdAUL says:

If this ever comes out it’ll be weird to be fighting Vortigaunts again.

Screenshots look nice though, I am still looking forward to it even if chances for release are low.

16. IntelliMoo says:

Duke Nukem Forever all over again (and not because of the delay, because it will probably be a huge letdown). It will probably still be fun for nostalgia and just something “new” to play, but damn, it’s so hard to care anymore, especially with Ep3 essentially canceled. lol

• Narzhul says:

What the hell are you talking about?

“Ricochet 2′s team keeps working on Ricochet 2″? “These things take time”? These are pretty good hints from Valve. Half Life 3 is definitely in the works, they just don’t want to outright tell you guys because of this sort of crap reaction to a delayed project.

17. Mikkoeronen says:

I find it interesting that there is so much hate towards social media as advertising channel. What would be a better tool than such for a small developer team to promote their work than that? I had my doubts too years ago towards Facebook and such, but after seeing events being promoted (small ones in small places), I had to admit that it really works.

You don’t like being “used”? What happens when you see an add on TV of some movie or game, you ask from your friend “have you seen that yet?”, “did you know about that?”.

Advertising is about “using the crowd to pass information about the product” no matter the form of advertising.

This mod is sort of a sad story and it also pains me to see how people have abandoned it and lost hope. You hype all sort of indie games that look far less eye-candy than this and you say “well this starts to look outdated”? I will sure dig this up if I get it to work on Linux (should work since it’s Source).
    I hope they will get it finished! :)

18. Wurstwaffel says:

looks mighty dated, but that’s source for you.

I really hope they made the gunplay to match today’s standards. Even half life 2′s gunplay was dated when that came out.

• skinlo says:

Not really, many consider it to be great.

• Wurstwaffel says:

And they’re dead wrong…
        every gun had a static inherent spread and that was it. People like half life 2 despite it’s flaws. Sadly their nostalgic love clouds all rational judgement.
        Counter Strike had an indisputably superior system way before half life 2 was released.

• MD says:

I really don’t like the term “dated” as applied to gameplay. Not all change is progress, and some of the modern-day standards are awful.

19. Ernesto says:

Looks very good. But I would tune down the brightness of the radioactive stuff in the last picture. Hurts my eyes ;)

20. lordfrikk says:

Hopefully it won’t turn as great as DNF.

21. The_cake_is_a_lemon says:

I honestly don’t care how shitty they’re advertising is, I’ve been waiting for this mod for 3 years and I’m going to play it! (unless it sucks, It’s looking pretty good so far though.)

Comment on this story