Choose Your Own Misadventure: Relive Your Life

By John Walker on June 11th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Cuddling bears - a direction so many lives take.

I just caused the end of the world. Sorry about that. Although I also died when being driven off a cliff by two girls vying for my affections. And there was the time I spent my life in subjugation to an albino bear. Three of 28 possible endings to Matt Ackerman’s Relive Your Life, a flash game that lets you make small decisions that have big consequences.

Essentially a collection of micro-minigames, you’re asked to complete quick tasks like repeating a sequence of arrow keys, or typing out a sentence, in order to decide which direction your fate might take. Always beginning with the decision over whether you’re male or female, each choice sprouts off another fork of choice, and another, until you reach whichever improbable ending befalls you. After which you’re immediately invited to relive your life once more. Which comes a fairly compelling thing to do.

Oh, and it’s all told in verse.

It’s incredibly silly, the consequences of actions having almost no rational connection, but that only makes it more compelling to replay and find out which other directions it could go in. When choosing whether to help a man with a scorpion on his face decides whether you life your life as a science experiment or as Doctor Who, you know you’re not exactly bounded by reality.

Many thanks to Alan Lamb for the spot – you can play the game for free here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Dr I am a Doctor says:

I pressed X and Tim Buckley started rhyming at me
    What is this game

• GT3000 says:

I wonder if he has an ending where he makes a tasteless miscarriage joke.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

Again, I disagree. A miscarriage is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it’s often much harder on the woman than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn’t necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

• Net_Bastard says:

Arin Hanson, not Tim Buckley.

2. timmyvos says:

Chuck Norris jokes? I thought it was 2012, not 1995.

3. MajorManiac says:

I’ve learned to never play hide and seek with a shark.

4. magnus says:

What has he done to that bear, I am thoroughly disturbed! :O

5. Shortwave says:

Just reading this article game me bulleyeart flashbacks of some-kind.

6. Dr I am a Doctor says:

Also there are like 5 female endings opposed to 24 male ones, cool

• Orazio Zorzotto says:

Well, I guess the creators must be chauvinist pigs who think women have too much power in modern society and that they should be put back in their place. Yes, that must be it.

7. Shazbut says:

On the advice of the game, I will now only answer to “Saint Awesome”

8. Jhoosier says:

I evidently don’t know how to type properly. I can’t get off the bus!

9. Lucifalle says:

Today I learned that one should never get into a car with pretty girls, that I can’t type “I play the guitar” when put under pressure by said pretty girls, and that the improper petting of dogs can make you a blind, undercover agent.

Comment on this story