King Arthur Devs Reveal Broken Sea

By John Walker on June 11th, 2012 at 9:03 am.

Fantasy game with angry dragon alert!

King Arthur – The Role Playing Wargame developers, NeocoreGames, have just revealed a new project. Broken Sea is also a tactical RPG, set in a fantasy world where myths of a former Empire are resurfacing. You’re a member of an almost-forgotten monastic order, who will sail via the “colossal Dominion Ship” to visit the archipelago, formerly the domain of the Emperor Mages. So yes, super-high-fantasy, party-based tactical RPGing, from the developers behind the much-appreciated King Arthur series.

Zoltan Pozsonyi of Budapest’s Neocore says, in full press release mode,

“Broken Sea follows the classical traditions of RPG adventures. Putting a party together in search of the truth is a tale anybody can get behind. Thanks to the epic story and the unique party-based tactics on offer, Broken Sea is poised to offer something really engaging and immersive to players.”

Sadly we’ve absolutely nothing more at this stage, the three “screenshots” they’ve released actually being concept art. Tsk. But we shall pursue for lots more information.

, , , .

Anthile says:

But how does one break a sea?

lurkalisk says:

The popularity of angry dragons seems to be on a rise. Fortunately the result is somewhat more amusing than that of their avian counterparts…

3. Kdansky says:

“Tactical RPG”

As if “RPG” didn’t already mean “this is a game with heavy focus on tactical combat with a totally linear plot with stupid ‘choices’ [save children/eat children] thrown in”, or for us grognards: No role-playing at all. I wish people would stop making games where you can tell from the blurb that the design is bad. But then again, crap sells well (see Michael Bay).

• ShadyGuy says:

I’m a bit amazed how you can get to those conclusions with only this little sliver of information.

RedViv says:

Especially given how relatively well the first King Arthur actually handled choices, given the mythological background.

beekay says:

It’s actually super easy-times to pigeonhole things like that. I generally get about 90-95% accuracy when I do it.

• Craig Stern says:

“Tactical” is vastly overused in game descriptions. That phrase is a term of art, not just something you slap on any game where you have to make decisions in combat (i.e. literally any RPG at all).

“Tactical RPG” used to refer to RPGs with heavy war games influence, putting you in command of a large number of units and–typically–making you hash things out in a turn-based fashion. Given the lack of information on offer, I have no reason to believe that this particular game won’t be tactical at this point.

4. TheAlchemist says:

When I hear “party-based tactical RPG” I think of Fallout Brotherhood. Is that accurate, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

• Haplo says:

Hm. Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel was an action RPG (based off the Dark Alliance) engine, but Fallout -Tactics-: Brotherhood of Steel was a real time/turn based (?) party tactical RPG, so yeah.

A pretty fun one in my experience, although it has its detractors.

I dunno, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of details here. “Tactical RPG” could mean a lot- my personal experiences would count everything from Baldur’s Gate (Real/Turn) to Final Fantasy Tactics (Turn) as a Tactical RPG. There’s a lot of wiggle room there.

• frightlever says:

I had a great time with Fallout Tactics, but some people didn’t like it because it wasn’t canon. Given the choice between canon and a party with intelligent deathclaws, super mutants and robots, I know which I prefer.

• caddyB says:

I liked Fallout Tactics. Sure it wasn’t a role playing game AT ALL, and it didn’t have most of the things Jagged Alliance 2 had, but it was fun enough that I didn’t really care.

It’s not like you get a lot of squad based tactic games on PC. I should really get around to buying a gameconsolebox, I hear the Japanese are big on those games.

5. Juan Carlo says:

It’s nice they are making a straight up RPG as they have been headed in that direction. They seemed to kind of want to do more of that with KA2, but I don’t think that franchise was suited to it as KA2 ended up being too straightforward and kind of boring. It lost everything that made KA1 so charming (i.e. the bizarre mish mash of Total War, Choose Your Own Adventure, and an RPG).

True these elements never really fit together in KA1 all that smoothly to begin with (e.g. you could end up breaking your game story wise if you played it like a Total War game, or end up super underpowered if you ignored the Total War aspects and only played it like an RPG), but that was the fun of it, I thought. It shouldn’t have worked, and it always seemed like it was just on the verge of going of the rails, but it did end up working despite its flaws.

6. Maldomel says:

I trust they will make something good out of this, but I still want more information before thinking this is not yet another high fantasy rpg.

7. svr says:

How fitting name. Their previous game King Arthur RPG 2 is still a broken mess. It runs like crap even on a monster machine like i5 2500 and GTX670.

Otherwise sounds interesting but their history of broken games does not look good.

• J_C says:

Having one badly optimized game doesn’t mean that they have a history of broken games. It’s just one game, the others were OK.

• Milos says:

First King Arthur game was a buggy mess too and they dropped the post release technical support like a hot potato and never looked back. That was a big part of the reason I never got KA2 after I heard it was basically the same, even though I kind of liked the first game.

8. Nameless1 says:

I loved the KA games, added the game on my list. :)

9. bob. says:

After KAII I will wait for a first sale or something. After the “24 FPS is enough” comment regarding performance issues, the many bugs that were patched out late and since they SUDDENLY DROPPED ALL SUPPORT (I guess cause they were busy with this) even though there are still bugs… no early purchase!

• LuNatic says:

They dropped support? Bastards! I’m still waiting for them to fix a bug that prevents me from finishing the game :(

• 0rpheus says:

Yep, picked up both in the steam sale on a whim and while the first game is thoroughly engaging, the second is a laggy mess even on a 3.6gig core i5 and a GTX 570. Horrific optimisation, and the several months of forum silence after what appeared to be decent communication says it all.

24fps is enough my arse.

10. Unaco says:

“developers behind the much-appreciated King Arthur series”

Should that not read ‘behind the much-appreciated original King Arthur game, and the much-maligned sequel’. I was under the impression the sequel was a bit pants.

11. Tuco says:

I’m always hyped for a decent party-based tactical RPG.
    Well, I would be if they weren’t virtually extinct.

12. Xardas Kane says:

You know, I would for once welcome a RPG that’s not set in a fantasy setting. I guess Alpha Protocol’s commercial failure was misinterpreted by the big guys with suits as having something to do with not being set in a fantasy world.

• Tuco says:

It would be a tragic mistake, as the setting was the most exciting thing about it.