Diablo III’s Real Money AH Open For Business In America

By Nathan Grayson on June 13th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Prices in the mirror may not end up as reasonable as they appear.

The day foretold (repeatedly) in the Prophecy has finally arrived. Diablo III‘s real money auction house is here and – connection requirements aside – completely optional, so you can peruse its user-supplied wares right this second if you’re a resident of the giant bald eagle and failing business reservation that is my country of origin. Europe and other territories, meanwhile, will gain access in “the near future,” as Blizzard’s trying not to send any server farms into geosynchronous orbit this time around.

Oh, and if you’re in the correct region, you’ll still need an Authenticator – though, fair warning, I still have my reservations about that allegedly hacker-proof solution.

Admittedly, waging war against evil incarnate does seem like a slightly roundabout way of getting the shiny pair of shoes that’s been haunting your dreams, so perhaps – for some of you – there’s something to this whole real money auction house thing. Will it be worth the time-consuming, connection-killing price of admission? The jury’s still out.

But, if you’ve got all your information locked up tight and have a solid grasp on how the whole thing works (there are, for instance, multiple 15 percent transaction fees involved), feel free to stroll down the RMAH’s near-infinite aisles. Apparently, a few particularly bold souls are already listing items at a minimum of $200. Something (I’d like to think it’s my faith in humanity) tells me that trend won’t last.

Who knows, though? This is new territory for Blizzard, and I imagine we’ll have a far better idea of where it’s headed in a few weeks. It’s a bit exciting, if I’m being honest. So then, who’s planning to trade their hard-earned cash for Blizzard Bucks, and – more importantly – why?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. CaspianRoach says:

I don’t understand these people.

• Toberoth says:

:-|

• povu says:

It’s like a pay2win game except there are no other players to fight against yet and it wasn’t free to begin with.

• RegisteredUser says:

Please tell me that people are not paying three times the price of the game for an in-game item??

Surely these USD in the game are 100:1 of real world USD?

If not, wtf is going on, wtf wtf wtf and should I be playing this as a job instead of a game or what?

• frightlever says:

There’s a lot of money sloshing around the US, and some people aren’t afraid to spend it. It’s not something I’d like to get drawn into, but it makes as much sense to me as, say, membership fees at a swanky golf club. Look at what you spend on a weekend out for 6-8 hours and it could easily be a couple of hundred bucks.

Not for me to complain about how people spend their own money.

• MrWolf says:

Um: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/13/opinion/the-beleaguered-middle-class-wealth-erased.html

But, please, continue to paint with your broad brush.

• jrodman says:

Yes, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a lot of money sloshing around:

But do the demographics match? Would those people spend time on diablo 3?
            I have no idea.

• Joshua Northey says:

Wolf if you don’t think there is tons of money in the US middle class still you really need to travel a bit more. Even someone living on $30,000 a year is basically living like a king as long as they don’t have children.

• Brise Bonbons says:

It’s an anecdote, of course, but the person I know who spends the most on geek vanity items is a middle class guy with a government job, approaching middle age… And single. So he just has no other expenses, leaving heaps of free money for movies, comics, toys, etc. I assume that’s the sort of person who is buying items at this price, not some father of 3 on the verge of losing their house.

But of course, from time to time we hear about mothers of 3 spending huge amounts of time and money on Farmville or whatever, so anything is possible.

I will say that while the US middle class is certainly hurting, it’s hard to make any generalizations about it, especially statements like “$30,000 a year is comfortable for a single person”. That depends entirely on student loan burdens, where you live, housing expenses, how good your insurance/health is, whether you felt the need to buy a new car…

My wife (an artist) and I get by in the $30-40K combined income bracket in our rural-suburban university town, but a single person would struggle on that income in a major city. And we have definitely noticed substantial inflation in food and other living expenses over the past decade (with no real increase in wages), which has made living on this income much less comfortable.

That’s been my perspective from here in the Mid West, anyway.

• Lamb Chop says:

A very instructive way to think about people with a lot of wealth is not to multiply their income but divide their costs. If Joe Rich White Guy make 100x as much as me, that $200 sword is $2 and suddenly doesn’t look so ridiculous. Also, that lunch you just bought would’ve cost him 7 cents. He probably wouldn’t have taken the time to bend over and pick it up off the street. Fortunately, since the market is such a good indicator of value, I rest assured that this man is also 100x as valuable as I am.

No matter what they say or do to me, I am still a worthwhile person. *rocks in corner*

• turkleton says:

I sincerely hope that shortly after purchasing an item for $200+ that the person finds an upgrade.

• Ragnar says:

I recall reading that the average income for F2P casual games is $0.70 per person per year, but it comes from 99.9% paying $0, and 0.1% paying $1000. Clearly you’ve stumbled across the D3 equivalent of the middle-aged woman who spends $1000 a year on Farmville.

• Makariel says:

No point waiting for the pvp patch then.

It’s odd that the most effective way to play D3 at the moment is to farm gold and then buy equipment in the auction house. Just now you don’t need to farm gold in game anymore, you do that during working hours.

• Antsy says:

“There’s one born every minute” and “A fool and his money are soon parted”.

• Drake Sigar says:

Well, I’m out guys. If this is what’s cool now, I think I’m done. I no longer have any connection to this world. I’m gonna go home and kill myself. Goodbye, friends.

• Freud says:

They and their money are parted. A tradition as old as humanity.

• zaphod42 says:

INT and DEX? What the hell? I could *maybe* understand paying $200 (not really) for a perfect drop, something with +damage, +dex/+vit, +vit, +attack speed, and perfect rolls on all of them.

But that bow doesn’t even have the right affixes, much less perfect rolls!?! Who’s spending $200 on that?!?!?

WTF

• Ruffian says:

Lets not forget that the gold AH is still up, I haven’t looked into the real money AH yet, but that bow could have also been up on the gold AH too, mebbe? lets hope that’s the case.

• R10T says:

Actually, for 200$ you can buy almost 3.5 copies of Diablo 3, which is about 3.5 games FULL OF ITEMS.

2. Wanoah says:

It’s almost like they’re desperately trying to encapsulate everything that’s wrong with modern gaming in a single game. 10/10 for ambition, corporate whores!

3. Kdansky says:

I for one, am very interested to see how this works out. If we’re lucky, this actually manages to replace the Pay To Win “F2P” games that we see so much of right now, and incentive developers to offer long-term support for games to keep the money-press running, alike to TF2.

There’s a huge difference between “the developer is selling power” and “the players are trading power”.

On another note: While it doesn’t come unexpected to me, I’m also baffled that people will spend 200$ on a D3 item.

• tur1n says:

There certainly is. But since Blizzard is making money on every transaction, they still have monetary incentives to promote gearing via trading over gearing via crafting or using selffound items. Even if it’s to the detriment of the game.
      Which is my gripe with just about every F2P game, whether they’re selling power or not.

• Belsameth says:

It all depends on how the prices actually average out if they’ll actually make money on it tho.
        More importantly, I think, is the fact that this pushes out the secondary market (at least partly) and thus reduce the number of “hacks”. This’ll mean they make a big save on customer service, which is probably far more significant then what they make with the 15% fee.

• mmalove says:

They’ll make money on it. They get not only a 15% cut every time items exchange for real money, but another 15% cut when you cash out your virtual dollars for real dollars. That’s just the real fees. There’s also the fact they have hold of your money interest free: times a couple million players that’s a lot of potential cash on hand to make interest on some secured loans/bonds. And inevitably you’re going to have some players abandon their cash balance, leaving it for Blizzard to keep.

What I’m curious of, is how much they stand to lose. See they can write EULAs and TOS all they want, but now that they are dealing with real money account hacking/theft are a financial problem for them. If someone breaches their security and cleans out player’s virtual piggybank, my armchair lawyer skills would bet there’s a small claims court ready to nail them for negligence. It’s undoubtedly why Blizzard decided all RMAH users would need an authenticator, but even then I suspect the security system will eventually be cracked.

• Kdansky says:

Is it worse than MMOs where they have an incentive to make the game addicting, yet as slow as possible to prolong content?

• Snakejuice says:

It’s pretty much the same isn’t it? Both monthly fees and RMAH require you to be playing the game as long as possible for them to make as much money as possible.

• Moraven says:

The funny thing is, if people buy a crap load of equipment, they are basically buying themselves completely out of gameplay. What fun is inferno if you buy all the best gear and plow through it?

• Baines says:

You can ask the same about cheating or buying equipment in any game where you grind to get equipment so that you can play on higher difficulty/harder areas so that you can get better equipment so that you can…

Doesn’t stop a lot of people from looking for the shortcut, though.

• Ragnar says:

That’s Inferno right there. Huge gear check that requires farming content over and over again to buy items off the auction house to enable one to farm a new section of content over and over again.

As far as I see it, Inferno is simply designed to waste your time, prolong the content indefinitely, and make you use the AH for progression, but it’s addictive so people keep playing farming it.

• UncleLou says:

We will have to wait how this all pans out, but at the moment, I am finding the AH a lot less obtrusive than games nagging me to buy DLC ingame (hello, Dragon’s Dogma) or constantly reminding me of microtransactions.

Of course, you can always argue that there should be no further monetisation at all, but from the variations we’ve seen so far in games, the AH is one of the least annoying ones.

• weego says:

There is no true monetization or pay to win here, I don’t see how that can even be argued. Any item being sold for gold or real money could drop for any player playing the game in inferno. Until that changes I don’t have a single negative thing to say about the RMAH because it have no impact on my experience or chances of clearing inferno.

If, and I can’t see this ever happening so I hesitate even putting this if in, that were to change somehow with the inclusion of PvP, where something that will improve my chances were only available as a commodity through the RMAH then obviously that would force a change of my view on things, but I think that would be commercial suicide anyway, so would never happen.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Heh. When you can buy items for real money within the game, is that not monetisation?

• Sardaukar says:

“”When said items can be such an improvement, and as importantly, very, very rare.. that you’d either have to be incredibly lucky or just spent tons of hours repeating content in the hopes of getting something like it.. is it not pay to win?”"

Money doesn’t grow on trees (for 99% of us). If a person is that desperate for an item, and we’re using time and money as values for items, then to be honest… it’s cheaper and easier for the average person to use labor wages to buy something than to grind for weeks or even months trying to get it to drop. In both cases, I feel the person is crazy. I prefer the gold AH as a middlegrounds, turning my excess drops into occasional gear upgrades.

A good comparison would be EVE; when you are very new to EVE, and do not have the connections to get paid for participating in some corporate war, then it is massively more time efficient to convert six hours of minimum wage labor into nearly a billion ISK, than to spend days and days mining or running high-sec missions to get it.

• MattM says:

I feel like blizzards cut is huge. 15% in the gold auction house was ok since it worked to take the easily generated gold back out of the system, but 30% is crazy huge for this. Stock brokers take far less.

• Moraven says:

Blizzard’s cut:
          $1 for Equipment sales
          15% for commodity sales

If converted to PayPal funds:
          PayPal takes a 15% transaction fee of the total. (after Blizzard Fee above)

• Lord Byte says:

That was my thought too when we first heard about the RMAH. On the other hand I dislike the divide in two different Auctions. It would have been much more interesting if it was all one auction house and you could legitimately buy gold according to a system similar to the commodity system.

This would create a real exchange rate, and allow people to also buy items without having to shell out real cash. Right now the gold auction house will become a lot less interesting fast.

I don’t care either way, the end-game was a sham, I haven’t played in a week and I feel fine!

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I don’t really see that. Wasn’t the whole idea that people with money can buy power? Does it really matter where it comes from?

It is true that a developer can use it as a way to earn money aside from other ways to do so. But even if all the money would go to other players it would be a lure for customers to spend more of their money on a game. To me that’s more important than who is on the receiving end.

In fact, if you hold to the belief that developers of such games use the money earned to improve/maintain the service of the game then it could even be preferable to have such money (if there is money to be paid at all) to go to the developer.

4. UncleLou says:

“So then, who’s planning to trade their hard-earned cash for Blizzard Bucks, and – more importantly – why? ”

Not ever. I like the game a lot, I am still playing it after 80+ hours , but I’ve never bought an item or currency for real money in a game, and I don’t see why I would start now. I’ve not even really used the ingame currency AH yet,

Loot-em-ups are the kind of games I keep on my hdd for years. I’ll soon stop playing D3 as excessively as I did in the last few weeks I guess, but personally, I find it great that there’s a game I can come back to anytime which is not easy to “finish”.

Frankly, I think people who expect to just play through inferno like you can the other difficulty levels miss the point completely, but in the end, anyone can play it like they want, of course. I’ll collect my own gear though, thank you very much (and the upcoming patch should make this a more viable option).

• MattM says:

I just hit a wall at act II of inferno. About half of the elite mobs are unkillable for my wizard and the quality of gear I need isnt getting dropped at all in act I. The auction house prices have also skyrocked for anything with the necessary 4 stats (Int, Vit, Resist All, Armor).

• Heisenberg says:

what dps are you doing on your wiz?
        ive just started inferno with my monk friend, im doing almost 40kdps and he does around 14kdps, and so far things are extremely easy for us (only at act 1 after skeleton king).

also, i read last night that blizzard has had its first ban wave of exploiters and dupers, that totalled in the few thousand players, so that might re balance the economy soon (hopefully) and get rid of all those 400million items in AH.
        i also read that some of the first ppl to use the RMAH where banned inexplicably.

• Ragnar says:

My friend’s experience on his Wizard is exactly the same. He’s farming Act 1 over and over for gold and items to sell on the AH, so he can buy the gear he needs for Act 2.

5. Jayson82 says:

I see this cashing and burning in very short time. O it will make money no doubt about that but not very long i would predict the following:

-Hackers brake the authorization steal/delete peoples stuff, now that its worth money this is worse than normal.

-People manipulate the market to make lots of cash, so much that it will crash the market. Look at what happens to eves market when you let players use it lol

- Interest in the game wanes when the next big hit comes out so less and less people will be willing to pay for in game items when they could be paying for another new game, the cost of running the market places becomes greater than there making they shut it down.

Anyone else got any predictions?

• Toberoth says:

I predict many more predictions!

• frightlever says:

There’s still a grey market for Diablo TWO loot and gold, you really don’t see this lasting?

The only thing Blizzard did wrong, IMO, is not requiring everyone to use an authenticator to play the game right from the start.

• RaytraceRat says:

My predictions:
      - service that lets you buy EXP for real money
      - service that lets you achievements for real money
      - service that lets you pay someone to play the game and enjoy it for you while you’re busy working

• jrodman says:

I am interested in this third service.

Is anyone up for it? You could tell me about how great whatever game it is in brief interludes and I could imagine enjoying it too. Also my backlog of games would go down.

• Ragnar says:

Ooh, ooh, pick me! I’ll set up a blog where you’ll be able to read all about how great (or not so great) each game is. Reading wot I think of the games will for sure bring you the happiness of exciting feeling.

• Calabi says:

The game is nothing like Diablo 2, I mean its totally like Diablo 2, but not in the most important ways.

The loot that you aquire through playing the game is rubbish, the Game auction gets calculated into the loot that you get in some undisclosed manner. Sufficed to say you get shit items way more often than you did in Diablo 2.

They dont care about the Difficulty. They admitted they just doubled the difficulty of Inferno on a whim. Saying players will probably, be able to do it. They dont care that, games are supposed to be fun.

When Pvp comes out that might save it though.

• somini says:

That third option already exists: it’s called gifting.

• Moraven says:

This already exist from third parties.

F2P (tho D3 is not F2P) and games like BF3 over exp/unlocks for money.

• theaborted says:

I think your prediction is pretty accurate.

6. mr.ioes says:

AH is not really optional. The people you can barter with is heavily reduced due to the AH, rendering bartering tedious/useless. You’re better off using AH, even when it’s way less fun.

• Hallgrim says:

Agreed. The AH is definitely optional at some difficulties. For some classes. But I can’t imagine how much farming I would have had to do to gear up enough for Act1 inferno on my monk. As it was, I spent nearly a million gold (from leveling a 60 and 2 fifties) and still I get iced in Act2 almost immediately. Sure I don’t HAVE to use the AH. But I didn’t have to roll a monk, and I don’t have to finish inferno, either.

• Lamb Chop says:

Granted, they are talking about re-balancing Inferno to mitigate spike damage and make it a little friendlier to melee classes so this gear bump will be smoothed over.

7. zeroskill says:

What happend to you Blizzard?

• zaphod42 says:

Let me count the ways:

They went from having 50 developers to 500 over the course of WoW’s development.

Everyone from Blizzard North has quit and moved on, so 0 of the team who worked on D2 worked on D3.

Everyone from Blizzard proper has quit and moved on, other than Samwise (concept art), Metzen (extremely convoluted lore & story), and Mike Morhaime (president). Just about everybody else has jumped ship to go work at smaller, cooler companies that are like BLIZZARD USED TO BE.

They are now merged at the hip with Vivendi-Activision. Bobby Kotick is breathing down their necks, pressuring them to get games out the door and pad their bottom line. Vivendi-Activision is betting pretty much all of their money on Call Of Duty and Blizzard.

The small studio that made quality games that they themselves would by, by gamers for gamers, is completely dead.

They hired so many merchandising and advertising and trading card game and other nonsense people…

You just can’t increase your workforce 100 fold and expect to keep the same company ethos.

8. Spacewalk says:

Are items bought in the RMH permanently bound to your character? It would be a shame if you dropped a couple hundo on something and then you lost it somehow.

• Snakejuice says:

I would hope not, if something has no second hand value it has no value at all imho. That’s why bind-on-pickup/equip makes WoW boring.

• zaphod42 says:

Personally I think D3 DESPERATELY needs a bind system. I know, it feels wrong. Diablo SHOULDN’T have a bind system. But because of the RMAH, they’ve created a need for it. Just shows how much they broke the original game design of Diablo. :/ I’m all for some of the changes (no more stat points when you level! yay!) but the game feels so oversimplified versus D2… its getting old fast.

Here’s the thing, the economy is a mess. There’s hyperdeflation. We’re gonna be at D2 levels where gold is COMPLETELY worthless very soon.

If an item does not bind, even if you spend $200 on an item, you can sell it back for $185 and only lose $15 on the fees. That means the number of ANY game item is going to tend to infinity over time. As supply tends to infinity, cost is going to end towards 0. Supply & Demand.

There will be a few select perfect drop legendaries which will be circulated around for high cost, and everything else is going to massively deflate down to $1 or .50 C or something.

Think about how many people are going to “play Diablo3 for a living”. Its not going to balance out without some kind of bind system.

You need SOMETHING to take loot out of rotation.

• Baines says:

Blizzard has already said that they are monitoring and adjusting drop rates based on the game.

They could slow or even remove the climb towards infinity on “good” items by continually reducing their drop rate based on how many have already dropped and/or are “in the wild”. Some people will loathe the idea, but first they will have to notice what is happening. And many would keep playing (and paying) anyway, as happens with oh so many other public outcries.

• Phasma Felis says:

So it will eventually become actually impossible to gear up from drops alone? Awesome

• bick4ord says:

> You need SOMETHING to take loot out of rotation.

See: expansion packs ala WoW. All previous gear immediately becomes worthless (as you point out, it already has anyway). Huge rush and $$ getting back to max level. Rinse and repeat.

9. cpy says:

I think Diablo 3 have 3 difficulty tiers:
    Tier 1: RMAH – buy hard, never die and steamroll like noob
    Tier 2: AH – shit get serious: buy better gear
    Tier 3: Single player- if i look in this cave 200x more times i bet i can find that item!

10. HexagonalBolts says:

Wait, I’m confused, how does it work?

Do humans choose to sell items either for real money or gold, and then they are paid in real money or gold, creating two different markets…

OR is there one single market and players choose to pay in either real money or gold, but the person who sells the item is always paid in in-game gold?

11. mechabuddha says:

So that’s what, a 32.25% percent fee on commodity trades in the real-money auction house if you pay through PayPal? Bollocks!

Does anyone know if purchases large enough will be taxed by the auction house’s respective government?

• Milky1985 says:

If the purchases are large enough then they can have dinner with the members of the aution house team and then use dodgy figures to only pay 1% rate

This will not be evading the tax of course, just paying the tax that they are meant to.

• Moraven says:

The Blizzard cut includes taxes, so says the Tooltip. I assume like a sales tax? I am not sure. Might be different amount in other currencies depending on this?

Equipment sold: $1 cut to Blizzard, you keep the rest Battle Bucks or
      Commodities sold: 15% cut to Blizzard, you keep the rest in Battle Bucks or

If you want real hard cash to your Paypal:
      On top of the Blizzard Fee, Paypal takes a 15% cut as a transaction fee.

12. D3xter says:

In the meantime, there’s a Class Action Lawsuit going on against Blizzard in South Korea: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2012/06/129_112894.html

>>>Blizzard Korea, the subsidiary of one of the world’s leading game developers, is facing a class action suit amid repeated protests from users for poor server management.

“We are planning a class action lawsuit against Blizzard Korea, as users and PC room owners are suffering from constant server malfunctions and server check-ups for Diablo 3 while the company avoids responsibility,” Kim Chan-kuen, head of Internet PC Culture Association (IPCA) told The Korea Times, Tuesday.

The plan comes as Blizzard Korea is under scrutiny by the Fair Trade Commission (FTC) for its poor product return policy. The government agency raided its Korean offices last month and is deciding on whether to fine the company for violating electronics commerce laws on its return policy.

IPCA opened an online cafe Monday called “Diablo 3 damage lawsuit group,” asking users and PC room owners to join the organization in filing a lawsuit against the American game company’s Korean office.

The IPCA is asserting that Blizzard Korea is intentionally ambivalent to user complaints of poor server management for the role playing game that was launched last month.

“We have something like 700 to 800 members in our cafe. We have received numerous complaints since early June from PC room owners and users, and decided to represent them.

“Korea accounts for a large percentage of Blizzard’s total revenue, and considering how much domestic users contribute to the firm’s profit, its consumer services are severely disappointing.

Kim says that the organization wishes the American game company to realize the seriousness of the issue.

The organization has held multiple internal meeting to decide the appropriate figure they wish to ask for in compensation and are consulting legal experts, said Ahn Sung-yon, head of IPCA’s public relations, and will decide on a future course of action within this month. Ahn added that other forms of protest, which are yet to be specified, are also under consideration.

PC room owners were initially able to install Diablo 3 at their businesses without paying royalties when the game was released on May 15.

As of June 1, however, they must now pay Blizzard Korea certain amounts of royalties depending on how many games are installed. The IPCA says the game company is constantly miscalculating the money it collects from PC room owners.

“Blizzard Entertainment’s failure to respond quickly and merely telling users to wait for a reply from headquarters despite constant server malfunctions and miscalculations of royalties is conduct that ignores domestic PC room owners and consumers,” said Kim.

The most recent incident that caused an outburst from users was a prolonged server checkup that started on Sunday and ended Monday. Blizzard Korea initially posted on its website that the Asia server will go through a 2 hour server checkup that eventually lasted over a day.

“The extended checkup time was due to our efforts to fix an item copying bug,” said a Blizzard Korea official. “We recently added servers to solve the problems of malfunctions, and are on the constant lookout to maintain proper connectivity for users.”

Diablo 3 was released worldwide last month with high expectations from Korean users, which serves as one of Blizzard’s most loyal customer bases. According to the firm, the game broke internal sales record with 2 million pre-orders and selling more than any of its previous games upon release.

The official said the overwhelming popularity was more than expected, and was the reason for server malfunctions.

“As with all foreign company subsidiaries, it is the usual method of operations to wait for confirmation from the headquarters before any measures are taken. The time that it takes is different case by case, but we are working hard to answer users’ complaints,” said the official.<<<

Can't wait for the Auction House backlash xD
    Just wish more people and companies in the west would actually have balls instead of going "LEAVE BLIZZAHD ALLONE, NOT BLIZZAHDS FAULT" all the time :P

13. derbefrier says:

Well I went and got a mobile authenticator and activated the RMAH.

One interesting thing was there is a minimum buyout for items depending on what they are. The gear i was wearing had a minimum buyout anywhere from $10.00 to over $20(i am in mostly act 2 inferno gear). This is only applies to the buy out though you can put the opening bid at whatever you want. so i put a belt up with a buyout of 11 bucks (this was the minimum) and an opening bid of 5 bucks.

I honestly dont see an issue here other than this stigma that buying stuff in video games makes you a bad person which is weird because a lot of you in the same breath will praise certain F2P games like LoL or tribes for selling power in the form of overpowered hereos, xp boosts and things like that and somehow come to the conclusion that this method just fine but trading, buying and selling with your fellow players, something we have been doing for years in online RPGs is now somehow wrong simply because it uses real money rather than a video game currency? why? whats the difference if i buy a 1k dps sword for 1 million gold or 100 bucks? how does switching from a fake currency to a real one make the outcome any different and how does it affect you as a player?

• Moraven says:

Or a third party site that tend to not be the most reliable.

At least in D3 now you have a proper trade window. But if you bought something on one of those sites and they never show up to give you the item…

• Hallgrim says:

The main difference is blizzard didn’t have an incentive to push you to the 3rd party marketplaces in D2. Here, the more they sell in the RMAH, the more money they make. I think it is cool you are in a position to make a few bucks off of D3. If I were in that position, i would definitely take advantage of it. But lets not pretend that the RMAH isn’t the driving force behind D3 at this point. Always online? Check. Lousy droprates? Check. Ludicrous difficulty levels? Check. Everything is set up to encourage grinding, so they can present an alternative to grinding that nets them more money.

14. Curry the Great says:

My friend sold a weapon for 450 euros or about 360 pounds before the RMAH was even on. 450 euros for 1 item. People are willing enough to buy this shit, it’s incredible.

15. Jimbo says:

The press for this is going to get hilariously bad. I can’t wait!

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Bad press: someone was stupid enough to pay X for a virtual item.
      Good press: hey, I just sold this virtual item for X money!

• Jimbo says:

*Good press: hey, I just sold this virtual item for X-Y money!
        Blizzard: “YESSS ALL OF THE Ys!!!! LOLOL $$$$$$$$”
        Child of ‘someone’: “I’m hungry because daddy has OCD and spent all of our money on virtual swords :(“

• Joshua Northey says:

Daddies do that with computers/computer games too, you want to get rid of those as well?

• Jimbo says:

Computers and most games aren’t typically designed to encourage and then monetise OCD from the ground up.

16. aliksy says:

I thought, “Neat. I’ll sell some stuff I don’t want and make some cash.” Then I realized I don’t enjoy actually playing the game anymore (act3 hell, witch doctor, 3rd character).

I guess it’s the poor drop rates, boring items, weird difficulty spikes, poor hit detection, painfully bad writing, and repetitiveness of the game that killed it for me.

17. Calabi says:

I want to see if the AH will collapse, because that is my prediction. Everyone with plenty of gold will buy all the decent items from the AH and then put them up on the RMAH.

Which means massive inflation on the AH, and becomes completely unviable for the majority to use. So they either have to use the RMAH or just settle with what they are able to get in game.

I reckon you might get some players just trading without the AH or the RMAH like a black market sort of thing.

18. RandomEsa says:

I’m actually kind of jealous of all the people who sell those items and get over 200 dollars per piece from idiots. Makes me wish that I’ve actually bought it and just tried my luck with drops.

Oh well I doubt this will last long.

• katinkabot says:

Yeah. It won’t last long though. These are items that you don’t keep around very long so now a person has bought something for $450 bucks and Oh, Look! something of equal or better value just dropped. Now what do you do? Sell it back hoping to make it up? Unlikely. Shard it? Hell no. You just gave that thing a ridiculous amount of value.

Give it a week and the prices will start to even out when people start to remember there are multiple ways to get stuff. So yeah, it would be nice to be $315 dollars richer. No doubt about that. I definitely put some things up there for a decent amount. If you’re fool enough to spend it, then who I am to to stop you. Please, idiot, pay my rent!

However, Blizz has more incentive – from a business pespective- to have high volume at low cost. They want everyone to use it and spend a little. If the prices are still ridiculous in a month when more and more people enter inferno(which people were doing WITHOUT this thing) then you’ll see a lot of things going up but not a lot of buyouts. So they make no money off of it. NOW if Blizzard started messing with the loot tables and lowered the drop rates of gold and gear, well…

• RandomEsa says:

Didn’t some blizzard blue say that they are “monotoring” the ah and increasing / decreasing loot rates depending whats in the ah?

What I can gather the cap is at 250 dollars and according to this fellow ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5795159846?page=2#23) they aren’t going to change anything because that’s how supply and demand works.

And here I was worrying that end-game would become pointless because you could buy all the great gear with only a dime.

• katinkabot says:

Ah, I see you’re right about the maximum price. Didn’t even know there was one. I put some things up for $150 just to see. Good to know. Though, I never said Blizz would force the market to change – in that respect. I’m surprised they have a cap to begin with. I’m saying the market itself will even it. Players are inflating the prices right now to make a quick buck. It’s a good time to do that.

I can’t speak to the loot drop rates. If you fidn the link, post it. They may be doing that because it’s good indication that something is dropping TOO much, so they have to decrease it. Same thing with too little. It’s what they’ve done in WoW for years. My primary concern is that they mess with the loot table for the sole purpose of driving people to spend money on the RMAH. I have no interest in the RMAH beyond making money off of it. I would rather just play the game.

19. zaphod42 says:

Is there an economist in the house? I have to feel like Blizzard has no clue what they’re doing here.

NO items in Diablo 3 are bind-on-pickup OR bind-on-equip. At present, everything can be resold later on, over and over and over, they will NEVER degrade or become bound.

So every single item in the game is going to tend towards infinity supply, and by supply & demand, tend towards 0 cost.

Gold is going to be worthless, just like D2. Look at ho many millions and millions of gold many players have. Items can be bought, used, and then resold and you only lose 15%.

On $200, you can get $185 back after you’re done with it. That’s nuts.

The few rare perfect drops will be worth a ton, and everything else will be worthless. (Like D2!)

I mean, think about it. You have people who are going to be trying to make a living off Diablo 3 now. There are no doubt COMPANIES set up where their business model is to farm Diablo 3. I’m pretty sure that’s perfectly legal, even in the United States now, because of the RMAH.

So with so many people farming as much as they can, on max level characters, over and over, having memorized the game,

HOW IS A CASUAL PLAYER LIKE MYSELF SUPPOSED TO COMPETE?

I can’t see how this won’t result in every single drop I ever get being worthless. Its already like that, but its going to get even WORSE with the RMAH.

Any item in the game, as people farm the crap out of it to try to make money, is going to be worth less and less. Competition will drive prices way, way, way down.

How good will you feel when you farm a dungeon all day, get some decent drop, and then check the AH and find that

YOU COULD HAVE JUST BOUGHT THAT DROP FOR $1.

Doesn’t that cheapen your gaming experience? Doesn’t that make it feel boring and worthless?

Getting drops is supposed to be THE GAME in Diablo. In Diablo 2, the loot system was like crack. You always wanted one more hit of that loot.

In Diablo 3, I could care freaking less. I’ll just vendor everything and then use the gold to buy the best possible item at my level for super cheap.

Ugggggh what are they thinking?!?

20. Trelow says:

Needs a listing fee.

21. Bhazor says:

And Chinese hackers in 3…2…1…

22. MythArcana says:

My official Blizzard boycott started immediately when WoW was released. I’m glad to see I made the right choice many years ago. Ergo; I am *not* in any way, shape or form responsible for any of this ridiculous crap we are seeing today from this particular institution.

23. piratmonkey says:

I’m perfectly okay with the RMAH. I don’t intend to buy items for money but I have no problem with putting up items for sale. Also, from what I’ve seen, it’s a $1 transaction fee + %15 Paypal cut (if you’re using Paypal obviously). So…not “multiple %15 transaction fees” unless you’re factoring in tax I suppose (unless it’s different than in the States). Then again, maybe I’m biased because I’ve made 2 whole dollars already.

24. kud13 says:

if you introduce an economy into a game, there will always be people hell-bent to break it.

At some point Blizz will have to start banning people for trying to break the economy… while staying within the rules Blizz itself creates.

by bringing real money into the equation, Blizz is taking the experiment to a whole new level. I seriously doubt they are ready for just how malicious people can be when they see a chance to take advantage of the situation.

• Phantoon says:

I seriously doubt people are ready for how malicious Blizzard is.

25. Phantoon says:

Does anyone even find this fun?

• piratmonkey says:

The RMAH? Not really, it’s just a bonus. D3? Very much.