New Lego Batman 2 Trailer Tells All

By Nathan Grayson on June 13th, 2012 at 10:00 am.

Batmoon.

It’s the moment of truth. Sticks and stones and Bane can break my bones, but can words commit the most insidious crime of all by sapping the charm from Legos? Are these tiny torch-bearers of the mantra “actions speak louder than words” truly meant to sprout tiny, block-shaped vocal cords? Perhaps, I fear, we’ve gone too far. Maybe Lego Batman 2 should be a series of text prompts and color-coded meters. Or maybe it should take the form of a bucket filled with tiny plastic bricks and imagination. There is, however, no turning back now. I can see the trailer signal shining from just beyond the break. I suppose it’s time.

Huh. Well, that was pretty much delightful. The villains sounded suitably insane, but the superbanter between Batman and a joyously jerky Superman stole the show. I am now cautiously excited – especially given that 500 square miles of rain-slick, noir-flavored plastic await. And hey, it’s out on June 27, which means I’ll know if I’ll need to fast-track my obtuse, buggy Lego Batman text adventure into production very, very soon.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. GallonOfAlan says:

Looking forward to this – I’ve played them all with the exception of Harry Potter 2 to 100% completion with the kids – there is no finer co-op experience for that, IMO.

They needed to do something new and the sandbox approach looks great. Bring it on!

I thought it was out on the 22nd though.

coughon360cough

2. caddyB says:

I like that superman.

maicus says:

He gives me a ‘Fred from scooby doo’ vibe. Which can only be a good thing.

3. mondomau says:

I loved the mute comedy from the Star Wars game, it was brilliantly done and added to the ‘toys come to life’ feel of the game. That said, now the Lego _____ games are almost their own genre , I can’t see much wrong with introducing voicework – particularly if it’s done as well as the trailer suggests it is.

PS. It’s Lego or Lego bricks. Not ‘Legos’. Bloody colonials.

• kadeton says:

PS. It’s Lego or Lego bricks. Not ‘Legos’. Bloody colonials.

Cheer up, sourpuss!

• mondomau says:

Shan’t. Not until Americans stop pluralising uncountable nouns. It’s pretty much the only thing I’ve got to be annoyed about at the moment, so I’m going to hang on to it. No true Englishman is happy if he hasn’t got something to complain about.

• FlowState says:

I’ll stop saying ‘Legos’ when you stop attaching the word ‘garage’ to the end of any business remotely related to motor vehicles.

It’s about efficiency. Less syllables, same amount of meaning.

An establishment with a petrol pump and a store is NOT a ‘garage’.

Oh, and it’s not pronounced ‘garridge’. Bloody englishmen.

(Unless that’s just on the Isle of Man. In which case, carry on.)

(Just to clarify, I’m actually constantly amused at the myriad weird differences between American and British English. I’ve been here a year, and every once in a while, I still have to stop after a sentence and figure out which words tripped up the person to whom I’m speaking).

(parentheses.)

• mondomau says:

“when you stop attaching the word ‘garage’ to the end of any business remotely related to motor vehicles. ”

We don’t. We say generally say Petrol Station. The confusion probably comes from the fact that Petrol stations often used to have garages attached where vehicles were stored while they are worked on and / or serviced (some still do) – so people sometimes conflate the two.

That said, I don’t live on the isle of wight, and I can only imagine with a chuckle what kind of looks cross the faces of you and your conversational partner during pretty much any complicated exchange….

• FlowState says:

I’ve worked out a system whereby my conversational partner holds up a hand when they come across a word they don’t understand. That way I don’t have to start the whole thought process over.

I think my favorite so far was “tip” versus “dumpster”.

• thegooseking says:

A skip is a dumpster. A tip is a garbage dump/landfill.

Though I suppose some people talk about “taking things to the tip” when in fact they are only taking them part-way there.

Epic Fael says:

Lego – an individual brick
      Legos – several individual bricks
      Lego – a single pile of bricks
      Legi – several unrelated piles of bricks

Among the many benefits of this usage is that you know based on the use of “Lego/Legos” whether you can expect to step barefoot on a Lego hundreds, or merely dozens of times in a given day.

4. BenA says:

Yes indeed. This is what the company has to say about it:

• wccrawford says:

They’re just trying to protect their brand name. If they aren’t careful, all plastic bricks will be ‘legos’ and anyone can use the name.

And really, what other name for them do we have? ‘Plastic bricks’ doesn’t really describe them fully.

• Chickenfeed says:

Assorted Plastic Shapes With Little Knobbly Bits To Stick Them Together™

• Phasma Felis says:

Lego is the world’s leading authority on making Legos. That doesn’t actually give them any authority over what I call my Legos.

Perhaps if Strunk & White were to weigh in…?

5. brulleks says:

“There is, however, no turning back now.”

On the contrary, the one thing we always have is the opportunity to turn back. It’s just that humans consistently fail to take it.

6. Everyone says:

Well the next thing I’d like to see is Lego Batman Day Z.

• mondomau says:

That would be quite funny, plus it would already have the multiplayer griefing mechanism built in (Never play LEGO Star Wars with your other half, it leads to more rows than a visit to Ikea).

7. Urthman says:

I love that TT Games addressed the whole “adding voices will ruin the humor of LEGO games” so directly.

It’s pretty daring for them to say, “No, really, we can write dialogue that is actually funny and hire good voice actors to deliver it” and then pull it off this well.

Granted, compared to the rest of the industry’s painful attempts at “humor” and cringe-inducing voice-acting, the bar is set pretty low. But this clears it with ease. If they can do a whole game that well, this could be fantastic.

8. TheEchoSierra says:

Rob Paulsen as the voice of The Riddler. Nice.

• Slurpy says:

I know! I was watching the trailer, not really sure about the whole voice bit, and then The Riddler starts talking. I say to myself, “Who IS that?!” And then he shouts, “Not anymore!” and laughs, and I just knew. And was completely convinced of the wonderfulness of the idea.

9. adonf says:

Is the guy from the good Star Wars movies playing the Joker in this game? I know he played that part in an animated series that I never watched so I don’t know what his version of Joker sounds like.

Llewyn says:

Mark Hamill? If you’ve played Arkham Asylum or Arkham City then you’ll know his (excellent) Joker very well.

(And no, I don’t know the answer to your real question)