Spacebiff! Sins Of A Solar Empire: Rebellion Launches

By Jim Rossignol on June 13th, 2012 at 3:59 pm.

Pewzap!
And it launches a volley of nuclear laser bombs, if the trailer below is anything to go by. I haven’t had time to get my hands on Rebellion yet, but I certainly have the intention to play it right up. I was one of the many who chewed through hours of Sins of a Solar Empire, and this expandalone has just about enough gravity to bring me back into orbit around its real-time space-conflict happenings. Anyone else on course for a rendezvous with this one?

Fancy lookin’ launch trailer below.

, , .

1. Sunjammer says:

Fun game, been playing the beta. Still think Sins has real big problems that have yet to be addressed. Piracy is still more of a distracting mechanic than anything else, and the game tapers off to a pretty flat arms race in the long term. I still enjoy it, but mostly for simply feeling good to play, not for its strategy game design merits.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I like the piracy mechanic. It means that economic-focused players can use their money to induce the pirates to attack their more militaristic opponents. Otherwise everyone would build a huge fleet and go stomping as soon as possible, this way you can throw some credits down and give people who bought the huge war machine something to do with it aside from using it on you.

• diamondmx says:

As I understand it, a military-focused player likes the opportunity to get XP for their capships, and will probably benefit from a pirate invasion

• Sunjammer says:

Ok so my vibe against piracy is simply that I suspend researching a higher unit cap because early game economy is so low that doing so, or even building a bigger fleet, would directly impede my ability to expand. So by the time the first pirate raid hits, I have *never* had the fleet required to hold back. Even when sandboxing and trying to do so; They WILL smash whatever world they set their eyes on. My “strategy” then is to simply let them do so and leave the closest world to the pirate base maybe hold a couple of extractors and nothing but. This sucks.

So what piracy boils down to then is continuously outbidding the other guy. It’s an economy drain, and if you get hit by raids, sure the xp is fine, but it is NOT necessary. A bigger fleet will always outvalue a well levelled up cap ship. So why suffer fleet detriment over some meagre cap ship XP you’ll get anyway? I don’t see this mythical benefit from being raided people talk about?

Piracy is annoying when you are raided, it’s an economy drain to keep yourself from being raided, and all the while they keep upgrading as all the players feed them money.

I like the IDEA of piracy. But i think it is balanced poorly. The raids are, according to docs, “light and easy to defeat”, yet they will happily trundle into your gravity well with over 2 dozen corvettes against your 8 + cap ship within the first 12 minutes. They WILL mash you. I wish they’d scale more slightly rather than instantly be lethal to an expansion.

• P7uen says:

Sigh, another thread descends into a debate about piracy.

• lightstriker says:

1 Cap Ship
            2 Static Defense + 1 Repair Platform
            OR 4 static defense.

Have all corvettes leave.

2. Sarigs says:

SPACE-BIFF! Instantly reminded me of The Innocent!

3. Hardtarget says:

If you own a previous sins you can get 10 bucks off the new one at http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/preorder

This was originally a pre-order deal but I noticed last night they are still allowing you to do it so I figured what the heck after reading a couple positive reviews.

4. EvilMonk3y says:

Any opinions on this from people who were in the beta / have played a little?

I played a fair bit of the original plus mini expansions and was wondering if the additions were really worthwhile at full price? On the face of it £24 seems a bit pricey for what looks like the titan ships and a few faction reskins, especially considering the content that came in the original micro expansions.

• Riztro says:

It’s more Sins. The new content isn’t massive in number of features but it’s highly noticeable additions. The new abilities and Titans really are over the top so if your plan is to extend the singleplayer aspect then I’d say it’s worth it.

For multiplayer I’m just going to leave it alone though. The titans are a stupid addition in that they vastly outperform anything else you can buy for the same amount of time and money, they also have no real counters. The only good way to kill a titan is to throw another titan at it, plus whatever number of support-fleet you need to trump the disparity of combat power between the different titans.

• EvilMonk3y says:

Thanks. I think I may hold off for now and take another look in a few months time, I recently purchase Endless Space (very good game and well worth a look at) and that is currently my ‘go to’ 4x game for filling time.

• innociv says:

The devs of Sins rabidly hate competitive multiplayer.
        Don’t expect any sort of balance. Multiplayer is only there for the kind of multiplayer you’d get playing a party game with a group of friends, but way-way slower paced.

• Carighan Maconar says:

After lots and lots of beta, I have two distinct opinions:

One, it’s more Sins, but much more Sins. The Titans add an insane amount of “cool” feeling, the new capships have quite unique abilities, the corvettes fill out the ranks, the sides with their highly unique tech (one Vasari race can strip planets entirely and live off their moving fleet, including capital “planet” and research labs and income, or the Advent Rebels have a 10% chance to resurrect both enemy and friendly ships to their cause when they die), it all really comes together well.

Two, at the end of beta there were still a gazillion balance issues. A handful of really really serious ones, too. The Vasari Loyalists are all over the place, the Titans don’t line up at all, the Corvettes are still too much power for their money, the whole titan-funding is too skewed towards Titan-standoffs.

So not really sure what to think. :S

• Vinraith says:

I’ll never understand people harping for a campaign in what is supposed to be a 4X game. 4X games neither need nor benefit from campaigns. Well, really no strategy game benefits from linear, lead-you-through-a story campaigns IMO, but that’s neither here nor there.

My primary complaint about Sins is that it’s never had the 4X depth it’s so fond of advertising, and consequently the real question (to my mind) is whether Rebellion finally adds that. I get the sense it at least makes some steps in that direction, and I’d certainly rather have real depth (so that the “skirmishes” feel more like a full game unto themselves, ala Civ and SotS) than some linear story driven tutorial I’ll never play.

• Moraven says:

Imperium Galactica II had a fun campaign, which slowly introduced you to the galaxy.

But yes, it is not required really. MOO and MOO2 are great.

SINS to me is a RTS with 4X like building. It is by no means a Red Alert or Starcraft with short 10-25 min matches. Meant for you to build up, spread culture and conquer.

• x1501 says:

Yep, Sins really has very little to do in common with Imperium Galactica, Masters of Orion, or even Galactic Civilizations. It’s more of an action game, not a ‘proper’ 4X title. I really wish they’d release GalCiv III (preferably with co-op support) sometime in the near future.

• Slaadfax says:

Homeworld.

• Vinraith says:

If you mean “it looks a bit like Homeworld, so people expect a story based campaign” then yes, you’re probably right, but that’s maddening.

If you mean “it needs a campaign because Homeworld had one” I’ll simply point out that Homeworld wasn’t a 4X game and wasn’t trying to be.

• FriendlyFire says:

“Well, really no strategy game benefits from linear, lead-you-through-a story campaigns IMO, but that’s neither here nor there.”

I read it as saying that Homeworld benefits from its campaign, which I couldn’t agree more with. Strategy games aren’t special in that regard; a good story with mechanics that work for the genre can make for excellent singleplayer campaigns. Company of Heroes also had an excellent campaign.

• Vinraith says:

Ah. I would argue Homeworld’s story was lovely, but like all strategy games its mechanics didn’t mesh with the story telling (or, IMO, work very well in general). Strategy games, more than any other genre, lend themselves to emergent narrative over authorial narrative, I really can’t think of a single example of substantial authorial narrative in a strategy game that I feel was done well.

• Iskariot says:

Perhaps he means that Homeworld battles are awesome. What I missed most in Sins (I only own the first game) were the incredible tactical battles, the superbly designed and detailed ships, the radio chatter of the pilots, the beautiful exchange of firing weapons etc.. In Homeworld I sometimes just liked to watch the battles like I was watching a movie. And I loved each and every ship, because it felt real and convincing.

• Vinraith says:

Homeworld’s battles were lovely, that’s true. I think if battles required that much tactical finangling in Sins, though, it’d be a serious problem in light of the game’s scale. Battles in Sins can sort of “run themselves” because in principle you’re supposed to have other stuff that requires your attention.

In practice that’s only occasionally true, but again I’d rather they fixed that lack of depth than made the battles more Homworldish.

5. Vinraith says:

Does anyone else think it’s funny (and disappointing) that Stardock is publishing a Steamworks game? I was no real fan of Impulse, but it was at least less intrusive than Steam.

• Network Crayon says:

Yeah i know what you mean. But I suppose theyre counting on a bigger audience through steam, Impluse was clunky but not much more than a download program, once you had the games installed it never bothered you again. Where as i’ll probably be able to pay my council tax on steam in the near future….

• Moraven says:

I liked Impulse for things like the short lets play they had on ImpulseTV.

Stardock had added Impulse Reactor which was the start of an alternative to Steamworks, but they did not feel the effort and resources to continue to add to it would pay off. They accepted the fact people want XBox Live like service for their games and Steamworks does it best.

Just that they made a big deal with:

• Gasmask Hero says:

They were pretty much on course with things. Then they made Elemental, made some costly mistakes and sold Impulse to Gamestop to partially recoup those losses (the rest was made through axeing staff). Hence the listing of their IPs on another download service.

So I don’t think it’s funny, not even ironically. I’ll probably buy it though, because 1.) It’s Sins, which i’ve lusted after for years and 2.) unlike Endless Space, it doesn’t list an i7 as being a recommended spec. An i7? For a 4x game with cinematics in place of battles?

6. angramainyu says:

Lack of real single-player was really the only thing holding me back from trying previous SoaSE releases — can anyone comment on Rebellion’s claim to making single-player better?

• Turin Turambar says:

Can you define “real single player”??

Most people play it already in single player.

• x1501 says:

“Lack of real single-player [campaign]“, obviously.

• angramainyu says:

When I first looked at SoaSE, the reviews (at least the ones I saw) suggested that the vs. AI play was pretty weak, and the value was in its PvP — I’m fine with skirmish modes, but I don’t usually have the time or inclination for serious PvP these days. I love me some spaceships wot go pew, but was hoping SoaSE would get the single-player right so my dreams of EVE meets Homeworld could come true.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

Depends on how good you are. I love strategy games, but I’m terrible at them; for comparison, I can’t consistently defeat the Normal AI in Civ V or the Hard AI in Starcraft II.

I think the AI in Sins is pretty good, and it does a decent job even at normal levels.

7. Ninja Foodstuff says:

This game is finally starting to click for me. I don’t know why, I ran through the tutorials several times and still couldn’t figure out how to do basic things when playing the game proper. I think, as with all these 4x games, there’s just too much to keep track of from the beginning.

The good thing is, once I get bored of the base game, there’ll be tons of mods to keep me piqued.

8. Joshua says:

As someone who has never played Sins before, would it be more worthwile to get this one, because of the extra features it offers, or the trinity pack, which is a lot cheaper?

9. Yuri says:

The trailer made me crave for a new Homeworld. :(

10. GH Moose says:

I’ve been playing the beta and quite enjoy it – as of the last beta, I think there’s a lot of balancing work to be done yet, but it sure plays fine and there’s lots of little tweaks to the original sins that has helped polish up the game – most notably, it’s much more stable in large multiplayer games that run long.

At it’s core, though, it is still “just” Sins. It largely plays the same. If you’re coming from the original Sins without Expansions, this is going to feel like a pretty good upgrade. If you’re new to Sins, I’d just start here because, while it’s a somewhat less gentle game to learn with all the extra stuff, it’s a superior experience in the end, IMO.

Also, in regards to Titans – they’ve been getting nerfed in the later beta patches quite a bit – I haven’t played the release version yet, but there’s a recognition that (some of the) Titans are overpowered. Corvettes also have potential to be good fun and shouldn’t be completely overlooked, although they’ve been getting nerfed too.

11. JerreyRough says:

You guys know the drill. Don’t click on this.

12. Solidstate89 says:

I pre-ordered this sucker over a year ago when it first was announced. I can not wait to get into it but I usually spend untold hours doing so. I shall have to wait for the weekend to conquer all and bring them under the fold of The Unity.

13. shadow9d9 says: