Ghost Recon PC Keeps On Slipping Into The Future

By Nathan Grayson on June 14th, 2012 at 8:00 am.

Curse you, hovering delay machine. Curse you and your oddly specific kind.
Quick bit of unfortunate news: If Ubisoft’s rather, er, atypical ads are to be believed, you’re spending every waking moment and sweaty, sleepless night fantasizing about Gunsmith in anticipation of GRFS‘ (pronounced “gurfs”) PC launch on June 15. And since the target audience for those ads totally exists and you’re definitely part of it, an out-of-nowhere delay to June 29 may be an actual tragedy worthy of tears.

Ubisoft, however, nonchalantly changed up its release schedule, offering no explanation for the Future Soldier future slippage. I can’t imagine how two weeks would make a difference in terms of, say, piracy, but Ubisoft’s policy on these things – though improved as of late – has typically tended toward mystifying. Regardless, I’ve sent a mail, so we’ll see what comes of that. For now, then – on all fronts – we wait.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. zoombapup says:

No we really don’t.

2. Alexandros says:

“For now, then – on all fronts – we wait.”

Or, you know, we just forget this game exists and continue ignoring this CODified husk of the original Ghost Recon.

• Cheese says:

Indeed. I miss the original 2. It wasn’t about future tech so much as it was about being an elite special operations team, sneaking around, setting up ambushes and the like because you really couldn’t just run and gun and I loved it for that. It was also all the little things that added up to make an incredibly realistic feeling experience too, such as the relatively slow movement speed and inability to swim and jump with your weaponry and equipment.

3. stahlwerk says:

The Walker Principle must be upheld. Delays for the Delay God.

4. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Takes time to tweak the DRM a little further I guess to ensure its more draconian (is that even possible!!!!).

I bet European Championships are the real reason though as Hollywood has been releasing movies early in EU.

5. mondomau says:

I dunno – it depends on how the money model plays out, but I’m kind of interested in giving this a go, if only just for the co-op. And I hate Call of Duty.

6. Mr. Nice Guy says:

The Xbox rental is going back today. Because of the annoying as hell timed sequences.

Also, there’s this section where you have to silently stalk this guy, and you can’t shoot. At all. Even which silenced rifles, the magical AI knows you are there, the screen goes “DETECTED” and you have to start the whole stupid thing again.

Not worth waiting for.

7. Flukie says:

I really liked how it looked when I saw it last year, but there has been absolutely no collective buzz about this game, is it not good at all?

8. max_1111 says:

it can just keep on getting postponed for all i care.

9. Matchstick says:

I’ve been playing it on the XBox and have been quite impressed.

Sadly it’s not Goat Recon as we used to know it but it’s still a half-decent somewhat tactical shooter in it’s own right with some interesting ideas.

I’ve been looking forward to the PC version so I can stop using a damn controller and go back to using a mouse, the way God intended.

10. Seafort says:

Typical Ubisoft delaying pc games a day or 2 before release. It happens time and time again I dunno why anyone is surprised.

If it’s not PC exclusive from Ubisoft I don’t even bother anymore. I’ll wait till the price drops and maybe get it then.

If they don’t give a crap about the PC platform I don’t see why I should support their multiplatform games.

11. rocketman71 says:

Wasn’t this POS the one they said after being asked about DRM, and some crippling and usual Ubi idiocy something like “yeah, but on the other hand it will be released on the same day as consoles!”.

It shows how much credit the idiots at Ubi deserve.

12. Shooop says:

…And nothing of value was lost.

13. squareking says:

Doo do doodoo.
    Doo do doodoo.
    Doo do doodoo.

14. Schwerpunk says:

I’ve been playing on PS3, and it’s actually quite a bit of fun. They don’t tell you this in the ads, but the back-and-forth is *hilarious.*
    So luckily, I got into the console beta before their horrible marketing could turn me off forever. Even after pre-ordering it, I considered cancelling after seeing that one bit with the lady with the unreasonably firm chest. Long story short: I’m glad I didn’t.

Shame about the single-player not being split-screen co-op… Not that that’s an issue on PC.

Comment on this story