Ooooo: Son Of Nor Has Terraforming, Fire Tornadoes

By Nathan Grayson on June 14th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

No word yet, sadly, on whether or not Captain Planet is a playable character.
Oh my, this is a nice surprise. Son of Nor bills itself as an action-RPG with “challenging puzzles, dynamic sand manipulations, and an innovative magic system,” but honestly, it looks like Avatar: The Last Airbender: The First Good Game. For the uninitiated, that means magical telekinetic-ish elemental powers – including the ability to raise and lower the desert’s sands as you see fit. Also, I feel like – as a child – I would’ve engaged with math on a much more intrinsic level if it’d included such examples as “Fireball + Sandstorm = Fire Tornado.” There’s apparently co-op in there as well, and – though it’s super early in development – it all looks impressively explosive and heavy hitting. At any rate, you + the break = trailer watching. So do that.

Still Alive Studios is chronicling the story of Nor’s development over on its blog. So far, there’s only one entry and no release date. Apparently, though, we’re in for co-op spell combos and “huge bosses.” Am I detecting tangy hints of Magicka in this Avatar and From Dust souffle? I sure hope so. Regardless, I will be watching this one eagerly. Oh yes.

Thanks, Indie Games.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. mr-wolfe says:

What absurd music for that video! Couldn’t they learn from TF2 and simply have something nice and peaceful to juxtapose it? Especially this early in development, it feels premature to pull out the rad electrock loop.

And although I can respect what they’re going for, I foresee lameness.

• derekslentz says:

Ouch that rock loop was hard to listen to. The whole time I wanted to see some minecraftish construction. Pile of boxes, on the hill side, pile of boxes, made out of ticky tacky.
      And your parter comes along and lays your boxes all to waist.

2. Arkanos says:

I want this game to happen faster. It looks like amazing. I want to have sex with the concept of this game.

3. Maldomel says:

And so I shall follow it too, the concept is intriguing, and could be quite nice if done right.

4. Bhazor says:

Saaaaand Storm
    Psssshhhhhhhh
    Saaaaaand Storm
    Pssssshhhhhhh
    Saaaaaand Storm
    Pssssssshhhhh

5. DarkNoghri says:

“Also, I feel like – as a child – I would’ve engaged with math on a much more intrinsic level if it’d included such examples as “Fireball + Sandstorm = Fire Tornado.””

Actually, they only teach this type of thing in very high-level math classes, which is why most people never hear about it. It really is interesting, once you get past the calculus and finally understand.

6. Henke says:

Oh good, it has a Spawn Crates spell.

7. Tridae says:

This will make for some amazingly funny co-op let’s plays. Something about how the characters move amuses me, coupled with a crate spawning ability equals AWESOME. This looks great fun. I hope they take themselves seriously so that the ridiculous antics are even more fun.

8. phlebas says:

Looks a bit Magic-Carpet-y to me. In a good way.
    Not sure multiplayer and huge bosses excite me much, but everything else does.

9. lordcooper says:

Thindie Games.

10. ukpanik says:

Crates in the desert…how imaginative of them.

11. bilharzia says:

Time-to-Crate: 7 seconds.

12. Trent Hawkins says:

surely you can do better particle effects. I mean there’s pre sets and thing that make this easy, just google one and use it.

13. mmalove says:

Ok, obviously the graphics are a bit crude at this stage, but I LIKE where this is going :)

• f1x says:

yeah they really must work on that, not just the graphics but everything feels pretty… empty

but if its not even alpha footage, then nothing to worry, the concept is definitely awesome

14. ayo says:

definately has potential if done right

Comment on this story