Space Peril: Drox Operative Now In Beta

By Adam Smith on June 14th, 2012 at 9:30 pm.

Depths of Peril and Din’s Curse are wonderful games that anyone interested in RPGs would be very wise to spend some time with. For why that is, look here and here. They’re among the few non-ascii games to capture most of the reasons that I adore roguelikes with such a burning passion and they contain worlds of consequence and reaction that should make morality sliders and alternate endings blush with embarrassment. A new game from Soldak is of great interest then, particularly when it sounds a bit like DIN IN SPACE. Drox Operative’s beta is available to prepurchasers now. Thoughts when I’ve played it and more info below.

I like existing in a game’s world rather than trying to save it from destruction just because no one else has the necessary agency to get off their backsides and do it themselves. Sounds like Drox is my kind of game.

In the new space race, the major races are scouting, colonizing, and expanding, trying to take over the galaxy by diplomacy, technology, war, or any other means their scheming minds can contemplate.

As a Drox Operative it’s NOT your job to manage all of those annoying people, build thousands of buildings, play nice with your enemies, or balance the budget. It IS your job to pick the winning side and maybe even help them conquer the galaxy if you’re being nice, more importantly though is to rake in as many credits as possible, well that and build the coolest, deadliest ship in the known universe.

Here’s a quick bullet point list of features:

Explore a dynamic and evolving galaxy
Explore a unique sector of the galaxy in every game, with different “monsters”, ship components, quests, and even races
Fight in the galactic war between the various alien races
Battle hundreds of different enemy starships
Build the coolest and deadliest starship in the galaxy
Outfit your ship with thousands of components and crew
Adventure with your friends with co-op multiplayer

All of that sounds absolutely delightful. Of course, proof, puddings and all that so I’ll have a play before frothing too excitedly. Preorders are $14.99, compared to $19.99 at release, and include beta access.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Vinraith says:

Wow, that was actually pretty fast. I remember just last year reading conceptual design stuff for this. Considering Soldak’s track record, and how promising the project is, a preorder is not out of the question. Din’s is pretty freaking great.

2. Gundato says:

Looks like the kind of game I would love (enjoyed Din’s), but kind of wish I got a Gamersgate redeemable key or something

3. goodgimp says:

I’ve only had a chance to play it briefly but I am loving what I see, especially after I tweaked some control options (Holy shit! Soldak games have so so so many options for how you want to play) to get some sweet WASD action going and I’m having a blast.

4. abandonhope says:

So it’s kind of an Escape Velocity/Drifter-style game? Am I getting it right?

• Pantsman says:

Dear Horace I hope so. I had a passionate fling with Escape Velocity Nova back in the day, and would love something new in that vein.

• Mungrul says:

Same here, but anything by Soldak is worth it in my eyes, so even the glimmer of a promise of EV-style action is just icing on the cake.

5. Mr. Mister says:

BTW, now that we’re talking about RPGs, I should thank whoever it was that introduced me to Hyperrogue (III). I love it, plus the fact that I understand every single bit of it.
    Haven’t beaten it completely any time yet, I couldn’t manage to find the orb (curse you exponential gradient).

6. paranoydandroyd says:

Just got the beta; I will let you all know what (or wot) I think. Something like EV might just be what I need to pull me away from Day Z.

7. Andy_Panthro says:

Sounds a little bit like Mount & Blade in space, which would be a good thing.

• WoundedBum says:

This would be…the greatest thing.

• Mitala says:

…First I find Starfarer, and now this. Guess my space RPG quota is filled. c: (Also Starfarer is kind of like M&B in space.)

• Stromko says:

Starfarer is far closer to the M&B in Space concept, as it lets you command a fleet. Controlling a single ship in a space RPG has been done, but I look forward to a new game in this vein. Hope to see what RPS thinks soon, or maybe catch a good WTF Is / Let’s Play on it.

8. Reefpirate says:

I bought this and Krater to try and tide me over until Planetside 2 beta testing…

Krater was more than a bit disappointing for me. It’s a cool game, great art and music… But it’s buggy and lacking polish.

This, however, is still in Beta but a whole lot of fun. It is less Din in Space and more Depths of Peril in Space. But I feel that the space setting fits this game better than Depths in a lot of ways. I haven’t gotten very far yet, but it seems to have a lot of promise.

• LutherBlissett says:

Agree with Reefpirate. Depths of Peril in space. But more polished and compelling already. Shades of Star Control II? Also reminds me I didn’t give SPAZ much of a chance. But this one has instant addictive powers.

9. Junon says:

Oh man. While it had some issues (‘a weird difficulty wall’ as a friend described it) Din’s Curse was one of the neatest games I played last year. I bought in on this as soon as I whiffed that this is a very similar concept just with the setting/theme shifted to interstellar scifi.

And now it’s three hours later, two past my responsible bedtime. There are the typical beta rough spots. If you know Soldak and clicked this article because it piqued your interest, just buy it now.

10. crinkles esq. says:

It certainly ticks the right boxes. And they’re releasing for Mac as well, which is always nice to see. Interest piqued!

11. ZephyrSB says:

Soooooo……

Starfarer, Drifter, Kinetic Void, Endless Space, Drox Operative, Miner Wars, FTL.

I….ummm….miss any? As a huge fan of space games, I think I’m going to in for a fun time over the next few months…

12. Koshinator says:

I can’t seem to find any gameplay vids on this game – I’m definitely interested, but wanted to see how it played. Is the beta NDA’d at all?

• trjp says:

Post on their forums says not – there’s now 1 gameplay video on YT but the voiceover is French so you’ll need those sort of language skills to understand what he’s saying…

13. MythArcana says:

Drox Operative is very addictive and well beyond my expectations already. Don’t miss out on this one!

Comment on this story