The RPS Bargain Bucket: Iterative Process

By Lewie Procter on June 16th, 2012 at 10:54 am.

Do you like getting games for less than full price? You do! Well then have I got a treat for you. Here’s not one, not two, not three, not four, but five (five!) brilliant deals on games that you might be interested in playing. If nothing from this selection tickles your fancy, you can no doubt find something else to play on the constantly updated record of gaming bargains over at SavyGamer.co.uk. Here’s your bargain bucket:

Rayman Forever – £1.90/€2.36/$2.99
Rayman 2: The Great Escape – £1.90/€2.36/$2.99
Rayman 3: Hoolum Havok – £1.90/€2.36/$2.99
AKA Rayman Origins’ origins. These are the original three games featuring Michel Ancel’s limbless wonder. The first Rayman is a sidescroller with beautiful high resolution art (or at least it was high resolution for the mid nineties), and the latter two are 3D platformers with a sprinkling of fisticuffs. They’re all worth a look, but if I were to pick one, I’d say Rayman 2 is the pick of the litter. Just don’t mention those bloody Rabbids.

Beyond Good & Evil – £3.17/€3.95/$4.99
Michel Ancel’s other masterpiece. BG&E is the French Zelda, and it’s very French indeed. Playing as the racially ambiguous photo-journalist, Jade, you have to solve puzzles, collect orbs, and take photos of baddies before killing them. It’s well put together, and has plenty of bombastic set pieces, but what really sets BG&E apart from the competition is the beautiful setting and the cast of interesting characters. It’s charming as hell. Now about that sequel…

Quantum Conundrum – £7.19
Apply coupon “HOTUK0611″. Registers on Steam. Possibly UK only, I can’t check the other regions prices.
What Kim Swift did next. Gamefly have got the best preorder price on this, and you get an extra 10% off with that coupon too. I’ve not played this yet, but I know a man who has. Take it away, John:

It’s very clear as you play that the game has been through the same intensive playtesting iterative process that Swift learned at Valve. At moments when you get stuck, the game acknowledges that and prompts. It doesn’t give the game away, and more often just seems to gently mock, but prevents tiresomely wandering in circles. Sarcastic reactions to my mistakes are something I approve of. And in the game.

More here.

The Darkness II – £7.95/€9.88/$12.49
Registers on Steam.
This is from Amazon US, so you’ll need to enter a US billing address to make this purchase. Here’s wot John thought of Digital Extremes’ messy FPS sequel:

This is a truly gruesome game. Not just with its deliberate shock moments like regularly ripping humans in half, entrails and viscera revealed in perverted detail, but in its extremely adult content too. Especially one sequence upstairs at a dubious club, where you walk past room after room of sobbing, abused and violently fucked prostitutes. It’s dark.

That doesn’t sound very nice, does it? Could be ideal if you’re in the mood for something not very nice.

Deal of the week
Auditorium, Escape Goat, Noitu Love 2: Devolution & PixelJunk Eden – £3.23/€4.01/$5.08 at time of writing
All except Escape Goat register on Steam.
Another fabulous bundle from Indie Royale. There’s the dual audio/visual delights of ambient platformer PixelJunk Eden and musical puzzler Auditorium. Then there’s the delightful, action packed 90′s throwback Noitu Love 2: Devolution, the best 16-bit action game that never was. Rounding off the bundle is the PC debut of retro styled puzzle platformer Escape Goat, which is about a goat that has to escape.

Also of note:
Dead Island – £7.63/€9.48/11.99. Registers on Steam.
Risen – £3.81/€4.74/$5.99
Explodemon – £2.73/€3.37/$4
Football Manager 2012 – £6.78/€16.98/$10.80
Total War: Napoleon: Total War: Imperial Edition – £7.49/€9.99/$9.99
The Void – £2.49/€2.95
Space Quest Collection – £2.24. Apply coupon “HOTUK0611″.
Transformers: War for Cybertron – £3.37. Apply coupon “HOTUK0611″.

For more of the cheap games, get yourself over to SavyGamer.co.uk.

__________________

« | »

1. trjp says:

GetGamesGo have their cheap deal on Dungeon Siege III on again – but this time they accept PayPal for it, so those who couldn’t get it last time (as they’re one of those retailers that some banks have on their blacklist for debit cards) – get in there…

£4.99 for the whole schmole or £3.75 for the base game alone

• Thermal Ions says:

I still just can’t get past the awkward feeling control scheme, otherwise I’d grab it.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Once you get used to the controls it’s all pretty intuitive, if still a bit unwieldy (if that makes any sense).

Don’t let the control scheme stop you from picking it up. It’s a steal at that price, and the game is much better than butthurt DS 1/2 fans would lead you to believe.

2. Unfair says:

As usual, video review for the new Indie Royale bundle this week:
    PixelJunk Eden
    Escape Goat
    Noitu Love 2: Devolution
    Auditorium
    Iconoclasts (Alpha)

For anyone who follows my videos regularly I finally got around to setting up a real website so I don’t have to do compilation videos for Steam sales and such, so if that interests you the URL is on the corner in the beginning of any of my new videos.

3. sonofsanta says:

Any other week that Indie Royale bundle would be incredible, but between their last offer and HB5 it just doesn’t seem to shine as much. But then, it’s a handful of pennies so I’d be fool not to.

Does GOG’s BG&E support a 360 pad? My PC is newly hooked up to A Big Telly and it looks the kind of game that’d go very well with a leather armchair.

• HermitUK says:

Sadly the game has no native controller support at all on PC, though the GoG forums have some xpadder/JoytoKey based workarounds.

That said, the PC version also often suffers from an audio/video desync on newer hardware; again, GoG forums have some solutions for that if the issue crops up.

Much as it pains me to say it, though, if you have access to a console I’d recommend BG&E HD over the PC version. Runs at a silky smooth 60fps at 1080p. It’s a crime we never got a PC port of it, but it did come out at the tail end of Ubisoft’s “We hate the PC, here’s some awful DRM” period, I suppose.

• DrGonzo says:

Strange, I seem to remember playing this through on pc when it originally came out on a pad. And, I remember looking at the new HD version on console and it looked like the version I played through, but ironically at a lower resolution.

• bill says:

I definitely played the GOG version with a cheap generic USB controller. Didn’t have to mess around with xpadder or anything.

Well, when I say definitely, it was a few years back and my memory isn’t what it was after all those body shots in cancun….

• Enikuo says:

I just bought Rayman 2 and couldn’t get it to work with a controller. I tried it on Windows 7 and Windows XP using a Logitech controller and an XBox controller. I will be installing XPadder or something to get it working, hopefully, but I can confirm the game doesn’t natively support controllers.

• Unfair says:

I understand what you’re saying, but Auditorium is a pretty cool game IMO – I haven’t played anything quite like it before

4. Blackcompany says:

anyone in the US have experience with Gamersgate? The Void for that price is tempting.

Also…Transformers: WFC is, I have to admit, a fun time if you get it cheap. And you can stomach the aggravating, multi-stage, gimmick riddden boss fights that seem to be a hallmark of 3rd person shooters.

• Thunderkor says:

I’m in the US and I use GamersGate fairly frequently. There’s no client to install, you get a separate installer for each game. They also have a customer rewards program where you earn points for each purchase, and can then later use those to buy other games. I got Bastion for free using points I accumulated that way. They are probably my favorite to deal with after Steam and GOG.com.

• Unfair says:

Those GamersGate installers are a pain in the butt – I’d much rather have a client if you’re going to DRM it – otherwise it should be a direct download like GOG.com

Bought the 1C complete bundle – had to download EIGHTY FIVE individual installers, and run each one separately, then go through the install process for each of them once the download finished. Give me Steam over that any day if the games are DRM’d anyway… can’t believe gamersgate doesn’t even offer a mass downloader when you buy a pack like that.

The installers don’t even let you back up your install files once they’re downloaded, they try to delete a required index file if you choose to “install later”, and then redownload it when you try again.

• Mana_Garmr says:

You pick “Keep temporary files” or whatever it says. I have all my GamersGate installers and related files on an external HD and I’ve never had to re-download anything.

It is a little annoying that you have to log in to your account each time you run the installer, but it’s hardly a huge inconvenience.

• mzlapq says:

You don’t have to keep the “download game.exe” file and enter your password every time if you know a little bit about the barely there DRM they use (or have a protection software like Comodo Firewall which complains every time a file is excuted), but I worry that if GamersGate will know a lot of people know how to bypass their DRM they will change it.

• Unfair says:

The reason you have to reconnect to the internet every time is because the installer deletes the exe necessary to start the install, even if you select keep temporary files. Yes it’s possible to bypass if you know what you’re doing, but annoying that you even have to bother with a game you paid for.

Additionally, if you re-reun the installer and they’ve updated the install files, it WILL redownload the entire thing again. I’ve had it happen with a couple games. Very annoying if it’s a >2GB game.

• Axess Denyd says:

I bought Renegade Ops through Gamersgate last weekend. When I started the installer, it began to slowly download 1.8gb. Speed was 5x slower than a Steam download.

After it downloaded, it said it installed successfully. I could not find it anywhere on my system, and had told it to delete the temp files when done downloading.

I ran the installer AGAIN and it again downloaded 1.8gb. This time I saw that it popped up a window in Steam for me to enter the product key, but it was behind every other window I had open on my computer.

After entering the product key, Steam downloaded 2.8gb worth of game. I have no idea what the Gamersgate installer was trying to DL, but apparently it was unnecessary.

• malkav11 says:

If you know a game uses Steamworks (and the Gamersgate page will say), you can just have Gamersgate display the serial for that game and put the serial into Steam.

• tungstenHead says:

I use GamersGate in Canada and haven’t had any real problems with them. Preloads downloaded from GamersGate don’t always install right for games that require Steam or Origin, but in that case it’s just a matter of downloading from Steam or Origin instead. Otherwise, zero troubles at all.

If prices are equal, I go with them because of the rewards program. I’ve gotten a few things for free through it. Just be aware that the “blue coins” expire after a year.

• DrGonzo says:

I would recommend getting it anywhere but Gamersgate if possible. As someone else mentioned, the installers are a pain. Across 3 separate pcs I’ve never been able to install the add on I bought for Arma 2 on there.

People complain about Steam having a client, but it patches games and installs them for you, and I never have issues with it, it just works. Whereas Gamersgate becomes a pain in the arse to manage when you have a few games. Not only does it not automatically patch, you often have to wait ages for a special Gamersgate version of the patch to be released.

Their prices are often good though, I only buy from there if I can activate it on Steam now.

• Martel says:

I’ve used Gamersgate a few times in the US, but only for Steam games so I can avoid their installer.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Gamers Gate is great, mate. They’re my go-to digital retailer right now. They used to carry pretty much nothing but trashy Z-grade Euro games, but their selection is slowly getting up to Steam-quality levels.

Don’t get too worried about the installer — it’s certainly not as complicated as people here are making it out to be. All you have to know is the download/install locations and you’re good to go.

• Vinraith says:

Gamersgate has no client nonsense, easy backups, fast downloads (consistantly equal to or better than Steam for me), and by far the best customer service of any digital distributor I’ve dealt with. You get 5% of your purchase value back in store credit, too, so buying from them regularly results in a steady stream of free games of your choice. They’re my preferred store for anything not on GOG.

• Shooop says:

From the two games I have from them they’re not too bad.

I’m not sure though if it’s because of their copy of the games or just the games themselves (Vivisector: Beast Within and Condemned: Criminal Origins) I can’t tweak graphics and sound settings through the game menus.

They work a bit like Steam in when you buy a game, they tie it to an account. From there though you download an installer. Not sure if it lets you install the same game on multiple computers.

It’s nice not ever worrying about a non-functioning offline mode and their selection is growing by the day.

• nearly says:

I hopped on the GamersGate train when the IGN Prime trial offer gave me a lifetime 15% discount. I hate downloaders on principle, but I’ve never actually had an issue.

Also, check out their Void system. basically a free game if you’re willing to watch some ads before you play. you pick a game at a time, but you can swap it out relatively frequently. the selection isn’t huge or all that great, but you can’t argue with basically free, and the developers are still getting money for your entertainment

5. Greggh says:

You can’t show me a picture of someone holding a copy of John Romero’s Daikatana and not give any deals for buying Daikatana

I WANT MY DAIKATANA – You know, the non-sucky version that actually never existed

• mzlapq says:

Actually, very recently Daikatana was on sale for $2.5 (or even less with the 15% IGN “sorry we did not make sure you can actually play the games you bought on D2D” discount + 5% blue coins) on GamersGate and I was curious to see what all the fuss was about, but my backlog is too long.
      It will probably be on sale again one day.

6. DPB says:

Does anyone have any experience pre-ordering from Gamefly? I just bought Quantum Conundrum and I’m wondering whether I’ll get a Steam key before the release date or not. The order details says “Releases 12/1/2012″ which obviously isn’t right.

7. derito says:

Football Manager 2012 – £6.78/€16.98/$10.80

Looks like gamersgate is anticipating on the euro crisis.

• Dextro says:

That’s just standard fare for the Football Manager series, I’ve seen it happen in steam as well if I’m not mistaken.

Anyway on gamersgate it’s a non-issue: you just change com to co.uk in the url and pay in pounds, simple as that (and I can guarantee it since I bought my copy of FM2012 that way).

Also: BlueCoin prices vary between the .com and .co.uk sites but the price for blue coins is the same on both sites. What does this mean? It means you should check both sites before buying a game or piece of dlc using that 5% store credit. ;)

8. HermitUK says:

Heartily recommend Rayman 2 and 3 if anyone’s in the mood for a 3D platformer. If you’re having trouble getting gamepads working, this fix solved it for me:

9. MondSemmel says:

- BG&E: Excellent. Highly recommended. Such an original setting! I thought some parts of the stealth gameplay were a bit long-winded, but otherwise the gameplay was very enjoyable. Also, I like the way the story progresses – this is one of those rare games that feel like playing a (Pixar?) movie. This is not a COD-like “cinematic experience” but, I feel, a far more appropriate way for games to borrow from movies.
    - Escape Goat: Great puzzle platformer. The regular game is often more puzzle game than platformer, but the PC bonus levels are ludicrously hard – I gave up in frustration. But the regular game is great. Also, the game is by MagicalTimeBean, who makes excellent music and previously made the equally great games Soulcaster I & II.
    - Explodemon: I hated this game for some reason. I felt it looked and played like some cheap console game. Oh right, I just looked at my review of the game and remembered: 1) There are tons of insta-death traps in the latter part of the game (touch a pit of acid and you have to restart the room – which includes a semi-lengthy death animation). 2) Even more amazingly, there are probably a dozen or so levels where acid rises from the floor, leading to more frustration. 3) You have enough health in this game to never die until you encounter cases 1) and 2). And then, suddenly, the game becomes incredibly frustrating. 4) Many secret areas are only accessible if you e.g. kill monsters in a certain way – make a mistake and the secret is inaccessible if you don’t reset the whole room, or restart the level. 5) I _think_ some secret areas in earlier levels are only accessible once you get abilities from later levels. If this is true, this is yet another bone-headed design decision. 6) Battles are unenjoyable and feel like filler – how the devs managed to do that when their game is centered about having a character who can explode, I have no idea. But it’s true!
    - I haven’t played any of the other games.

10. iLag says:

if you want to buy Dead Island and don’t trust the whole Amazon-US thing you can get it from Gamersgate for about the same amount (a little more expensive regularly, but basically the same if you have the 15% IGN discount thingie enabled).

…but I bet that Dead Island will be fairly/really cheap when the Steam summer sale comes around!

• Binman88 says:

Yeah I’m gonna wait and hope it pops up on the Steam sales. For anyone who is going to go ahead with the weird US address thing: my advice would be to use an address in a state with no sales tax. For example: I put in a Seattle, Washington address and got an extra dollar and change in tax added on. Put in a Delaware address and no tax!

• Fumarole says:

I live in California and am not charged tax on Amazon game download purchases, and California does have sales tax.

• Binman88 says:

Oh ok. Those are the only two addresses I tried and one had tax and one didn’t. I know nothing about how sales tax works in different states so I’m just gonna stop talking about it now!

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

That’s especially odd as CA has to pay tax on internet purchases other states wouldn’t.

• Jugglenaut says:

The way online sales tax works is that an online store only has to collect the sales tax if they have a physical corporate presence in the state. That’s why if you were to use a Washington address for steam you’d have to pay the tax. For all others made in States without that presence, you are still technically supposed to figure out your own sales tax and send it in to your own state, but no one will come after you if you don’t.

• AmyRabbit75 says:

Bought the game on Amazon to use on Steam–I’m in the US, but I’d never tried that before. After ordering, it presented me a page that asked me if I wanted to download it from Amazon or if I just wanted the Steam key to copy-paste. How refreshingly easy! Now that I know, I’ll have to set up a price trackers on other Amazon-purchasable, Steam-playable games.

So I’ve been playing Dead Island the last couple evenings and I’ve easily gotten my $12 worth from it.

11. Mr. Nice Guy says:

I probably found The Darkness funnier than I was meant to.

Especially when walking through the brothel and the Darkness shouts in the dumbest voice possible “SO MUCH … DELICIOUS SUFFERING.”

• RegisteredUser says:

Spoke my mind there, it did.

But do you ever get to fuck anything? No, of course not.

Said it before, all this dickteasing without followthrough is dishonest gamer baiting bollocks.
      Max Payne does the same thing in letting you walk through a brothel and tittybar.

Why do we get hours of indulgence in shooting off limbs from people, but putting the dick in? Why that’s inexcuseable icky-naughty stuff and we won’t have that in a AAA quality game!

Scumbag westerners. Make the highest end physics and graphics engines, leave the sex sims to incompetent rapefantasy asians with weirdly constantly high-pitch voiced characters.

• BillyIII says:

Because who needs a simulation when one can experience sex firsthand, while real violence is far from being fun.

• RegisteredUser says:

Because you can’t do everything with everyone all the time anytime and at the same levels.

Same reason that although you can drive a car you still have car/racing sims etc pp.

12. RegisteredUser says:

Actually Gamefly has this sale going on, too, no?
    All kinds of stuff. Then again it is becoming harder and harder to distinguish between daily/weekly deals and special-special deals.
    Steam, Gamefly et al constantly seem to rotate things through sales.

It is becoming harder and harder to remember what the true lowest low price point was for a game so that you don’t buy it at a later sale on a higher price..

13. Kollega says:

If anyone’s interested, Cities XL 2012 is only five bucks on Steam. It’s not as good as SimCity 4 in the “simulations” part, but a lot more modern (with fancy graphics and curved roads). I can’t give much recommendation, sadly, so you should find someone else to ask if it’s actually good.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

My Steam’s shown it at $10. At $5 I might consider it just for the pretty graphics and building. Sim City 5 really can’t come soon enough.

14. Keirley says:

Everyone who hasn’t already should buy The Void – IT’LL DO STRANGE THINGS TO YOU.

15. James Allen says:

Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades (campaign strategy and turn-based battles, kind of like Total War) is 75% off for the next 24 hours

16. Hodge says:

Are the Gamefly links not working for anyone else?

• Thermal Ions says:

They won’t work for outside UK / Europe(?) as the site auto redirects to the US Store which has different specials.

And being Gamefly, those specials are limited to United States, Canada, and Mexico.

17. StingingVelvet says:

I am usually someone who buys games early, but working overseas without my gaming PC the last 6 months has meant shopping to catch up. Getting deals like $12 for Darkness 2 and $40 for the Mass Effect 4 Deluxe Edition might be finally teaching me to be patient.

Now all I need is Risen 2 or Syndicate for cheap.

18. Lagwolf says:

Rune Classic is on sale on Steam for $7.99 instead of $9.99. I am playing it now and it is well worth picking up. 3rd person Viking melee combat with a good story & a great multi-player.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

I remember how good and unique it was back in the day, though I was really disappointed when I saw it was $10. Far as I can tell there really isn’t a lot in the way of changes.

19. Spiny says:

***** WARNING *****

I just bought the Dead Island Amazon offer and it will NOT activate on UK Steam. Seems to be region locked.

Don’t know if it will work with the Amazon download or not.

[Edit: I did manage to activate it over a VPN & seems to be downloading OK over my regular connection

FYI, the one I used was privatetunnel using OpenVPN]

20. jamesgecko says:

Avoid Rayman 3. It’s difficult to convey how terrible the camera is. Rayman 2 is a masterpiece, though.

21. Contrafibularity says:

Hmm, apparently Quantum Conundrum doesn’t register on Steam at all, as I’m now prompted to download Gamefly’s client :(. Not in the UK if that makes any difference, but I don’t see why it should.

Edit: Scratch that, it does register on Steam. You have to download the Gamefly client, then go to your games, click on QC, and at the top of the window click on the dropdown menu arrow next to “Download Now” and then click “Get Product Activation Key”. Sorry Gamefly, but I intend to keep download platforms to a bare minimum (ie Steam). Gotta love GoG’s method of digital distribution though.

Comment on this story