QRRASE The Dead: Magicka – Other Side Of The Coin

By Adam Smith on June 18th, 2012 at 9:09 am.

Friendship is tragic

More Magicka arrives tomorrow and it’s of the vampiric, necromantic variety. “Being bad feels good” it proclaims in the launch trailer below, to which I must reply that I probably killed more people while trying to be a hero in Magicka than I’ll ever kill by actually putting on an evil hat and setting out to cause harm. I think I’ve sucked all the fun out of Magicka’s jugular already and very tasty it was, but there’s nothing weirdly attractive about this DLC, no Lovecraft or ‘Nam, so it’s probably the first one I’ll pass on. I did enjoy the frolicking pinata ponies though. They were very well done.

Here’s what your $4.99 or monetary equivalent will provide upon the pack’s release tomorrow.

• Play as Alucart the Vampire and his henchmen, the Necromancers
• One exciting new story challenge set among beautiful new elven architecture
• 4 new challenge maps playing as necromancers: World’s End, Volcano Hideout, OSOTC Arena and the Mirror Crystal Cavern Hideout.
• Necromancer introduced to PvP
• New achivements

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Greggh says:

One realizes he’s reading RPS too much when it’s 5 a.m. in his country and he’s checking the site for news.

They’re using some assets from Castlevania in that video… Innit illegal??? What happened to creativity man!

2. Drake Sigar says:

I think Magicka In Space was the next logical step, possibly fighting Galactus.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Considering it already has crossed over with Trek and WH40k, I would not be surprised at all.

3. mrwout says:

Well, that was quite boring for a magicka trailer…

4. kaoswielder says:

Magicka, despite its buggy nature was a massive fun. Specially in co-op. But now IMO it is being overdone. I can’t find anything “more” in this and since I am not a pvp person, so I don’t find the arenas useful for me.

• LionsPhil says:

I’d rather they fixed up the bugs so I might actually complete the original some time, since I’ve been saving it for co-op but actually getting that to work and stay working for long enough is a Herculean feat, especially if you want to do it across oceans.

• InternetBatman says:

Same here. Also it might be nice if they found a way to separate single-player campaign. Removing self-heal and then letting you resurrect once are not equivalent.

• Urthman says:

Wait, what?! They took out the ability to heal yourself?

I’ve had that game on my pile to get back to someday, but if they’ve broken the single-player that badly, I might as well uninstall it now.

• LionsPhil says:

Yup. Self-heal got hideously nerfed, and they replace it with a stupid pixie that lets you respawn-in-place once per checkpoint.

Forget about soloing it unless you’re the kind of caffine-fuelled individual who can go wave after wave in the survival arena.

• Operand says:

That’s odd, I just tested it, and one self-heal was just about my entire health bar. Heal mines in particular healed for ~2500, far more than max health.
            Also, some spells to remember.
            EDDDX (Self) – Near invincibility. X = any element you want to be immune to excluding lightning. Use haste/teleport to maneuver.
            EAAAA (AoE, Enchant) – Great damage.
            RAASE (AoE, Enchant) – Great CC.
            QFQFASA (Any) – Great damage again.

I just went through level 6 with no deaths using primarily these spells. Went through level 11 (hardest part of the game from what I remember) as well, only died a few times to the dwarven army (which is an optional fight) and a few more in the lava room.

• InternetBatman says:

They might have fixed it. I bought it several months after release, and got to level 11 in SP before quitting. Fafnir kept on crashing the game (didn’t have the stupid sword), and level 11 is not worth repeating. The insta-kill ski free yetis may be funny in multiplayer, but they are stupid in single player.

Then, I tried going through it again after they said they added a resurrection fairy to fix single-player. However, they substantially nerfed self-heal in multi, and didn’t have different single and multiplayer balance, which ruined it. Also, there are easier ways to take care of the dwarven army. Resurrect and teleport will do most of your work for you, and the handy steam beam will take care of the rest.

I haven’t tried it again. Maybe the third time’ll be the charm, but I got tired of waiting for the very good game inside to emerge from the bug ridden mess.

• Operand says:

With the rock armor, the yetis couldn’t seem to do anything to me. They would go to grab me, hit my armor for minimal damage, and flinch back.
            You can also hide from the army when they pass if you just stand in the far corner of the room to the right.

5. nk says:

What does this “Pieces Interactive” logo between Paradox & Arrowhead’s mean ? Was this DLC developed by this other studio ? (Might explain said lack of inspiration in the trailer).

6. epmode says:

DLC: The Game

7. aliksy says:

Magicka’s one of my favorite games (I still play challenge maps every so often), but the DLC hasn’t been that exciting. I still buy it because it’s inexpensive, though.

8. deadly.by.design says:

Magicka was probably my favorite game of 2011, but I found the Cthulu end boss to be ridiculously difficult. (we didn’t eat him, but we only had one session to try)

What I want to know is this — How long is this new campaign? Three maps, like Cthulu, or longer?

PS–
    I love “achivements”.

9. MythArcana says:

The DLC pours out like cards in Magic: The Gathering.

10. vivlo says:

Are they including some bugfixes in this ? now that would sell it to me.

11. ProtoMan says:

They hinted at a castlevania parody, then backed off.
    If it’s a castlevania parody I might actually buy it. That sounds great. Otherwise, wait until it’s a buck in a sale.
    Either way I wouldn’t doubt its inclusion in the summer sale, so I think I’ll wait for that.