Resurrection of Resurrection of Evil: Doom 3 BFG Date

By Alec Meer on June 19th, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

Mancubus! Like a succubus, but *a man*

Aha, I was a bit worried this might not see a PC release. Weird on both counts, given PC was originally its lead platform and, well,
it’s a pretty boring game so it’s strange that I’d care. Absent makes the heart grow less exasperated, I suppose. Yes, Doom 3 BFG, complete with new sections, improved levels, tuned controls, added checkpoints and sweet mother of God a mounted-flashlight, will be out on PC. When? MAYBE I’M NOT GOING TO TELL YOU.

Oh, alright, it’s 19th October in Europe and the 16th in the US, and it’ll cost £20/$30/30 Euros. Which is quite a lot for a game that’s OLD and A BIT DULL, but the odd deal is sweetened by news that it’ll include Doom 1 and Doom 2 (the best one!) in addition to the craptastic Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil expansion and the hopefully not craptastic seven new levels.

Look, here’s a trailer to watch again, now I’m going to have a drink and watch the collection of thugs that comprise my nation’s football team only barely hold their own against the Ukraine. (Yes, I wrote this post several hours before it was published. If England got roundly beaten and I just made you believe some decision had been reversed, I can only apologise).

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. marlin says:

Yes, that’s all very well, but can we talk to the mon…. oh, sod it, who cares.

• jimjam says:

It’s sad, really it is.
      Those that liked Doom 2 got Doom 3 in 2004. Those that never heard of Doom 3 will shrug at its 9 year old graphics and simple game play and ignore it.

Me? I got Doom 3 in 2004, got the duct tape mod within a week and enjoyed the game.
      I see no reason to get it again.

• Rawrian says:

I played the shite out of Doom 2, spent a lot of time with custom .wads and created a few maps of my own, but Doom 3 was just something completely different and alien to me.

2. Greggh says:

I don’t want to be THAT guy who makes shitty remarks on graphics in a game, but those seem to be really dated.

I can take dated graphics anytime of the day (Dwarf Fortress FTW), but coming from some big-ass major company that’s just flabbergasting (I don’t have any other words to express what I feel about it).

• Xzi says:

Well it was released in 2004 and they didn’t do any re-texturing. So it’s no more dated-looking than any other X360/PS3 game. BA-ZING!

• Lemming says:

Yeah I think the console crowd is going to notice the difference the most as it was only released on the original xbox alongside the PC, AFAIK.

• The white guar says:

Ouch, that hurts.

3. MistyMike says:

I think a lot of the level design in the original game relied on the fact that you could only either have a weapon or the flashlight up, so giving you both could remove most of the challenge – unless they tweak it somehow.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Yeah, whilst I realise it’s somewhat nonsensical to not be able to use a flashlight while using a weapon with what would be readily accessible duct-tape, note, this complaint is made in a game that features demonic invasion on Mars, insta-heal medkits and plasma machine guns.

I found it added a great deal of tension, one could either see clearly or deal tremendous amounts of damage, but not both at the same time, reliant on the highlights of muzzle flashes for illuminating the horrors which attacked you. In an age where people lament ‘accessibility’ and the removal of certain intentional handicaps from the broad horror and survival genres, I find it odd this decision is as requested as it is.

To be honest I never had any enthusiasm for Id games, but I enjoyed Doom 3 at the time and I would have even moreso if it was not surpassed on every level by it’s contemporaries like Half-Life 2 and it doesn’t remotely come close to the magnum opus of FPS space-horror; System Shock 2. However I can easily say my fondness for Doom 3 is incomparably greater than say for Rage.

4. LTK says:

I still have Doom 3 as a boxed copy somewhere. I caught myself wondering if they’d update it for free, but then I remembered this is id, not CD Projekt.

• varangian says:

Me too, somewhere in a packing case. One of those games I bought because I loved Doom 1/2, played once (about the last half in god mode when I got fed up with the shoot-the-glowy-spot-in-the-next-2-seconds boss battles) and having seen what there was to see never thought of it again. Except in that ‘there went several hours and £20 odd quid that could have been used better’ kind of way. Rage, OTOH, I quite enjoyed. Though in large part that was because I’d learnt my lesson and waited until it was tuppence in a sale.

• raptorak says:

Everyone moaning about iD being cheap are just trolls – there is already an uber edition of Doom 3, it is called Perfected Doom 3 and it is incredible, better than this new version for sure, and is free if you own Doom 3.

Also, iD released the source code for this game so if you think it sucks how about you try making something better?

Stop whining.

• MrTambourineMan says:

Perfected Doom 3 is a community made mod, so stop acting like id had anything to do with it. Make something better with source code? They’re charging 30€ for 8 year old medicore game for god’s sake.

• Gwilym says:

Who’s moaning exactly? I see a bunch of people saying they’re not going to buy a product because it’s overpriced and they don’t want it – that’s not moaning, that’s actually a rare logical moment in the history of human behaviour.

• jimjam says:

It was great that iD released id tech 4 source code :D. But its still lame to try & sell a >9 year old game as something fancy.

• Roshin says:

“But its still lame to try & sell a >9 year old game as something fancy.”

Lame? If you don’t want it, then don’t buy it, ffs.

• LTK says:

Wow, overreacting, much? You’re the only one using the words ‘cheap’ and ‘sucks’, even though I said nothing about the quality of the game or whether or not it’s overpriced. Why is this so personal to you?

• secuda says:

we are paying edit 30bucs/euro for this “remake” why should we not voice our concern?

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

When did the RPS comments turn into Youtube comments? Did I miss something?

• RegisteredUser says:

I was about to say. When did those “torrent sneaking companies” employers start releasing source code for their games?

Pretending like ID or Carmack did / does nothing for the PC gaming community is just plain being ignorant.

5. stupid_mcgee says:

I love the Doom series and all, but I already have the iD pack on Steam and I see absolutely no reason to buy this. Especially not for 7 levels. I hope there’s some kind of expansion or DLC thing they do for the new content, because I don’t think many fans are going to jump on this, probably already having D1,2,3 and the expansions.

• Mollusc Infestation says:

I’m in the same boat. I think i own a boxed copy and a copy from the ID pack.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Exactly. I own Doom, Final Doom, Doom II and Plutonium in box. I own the iD pack on Steam. If they really expect me to pay $30 for 7 levels in Doom 3 they have to be kidding.

Maybe people will buy this for nostalgia, but hardcore fans will look at this as a ripoff.

6. byteCrunch says:

I wonder if they are doing this re-release off the back of the iodoom3 project.

7. yutt says:

So… uh… this is a rerelease of a bunch of games that were already readily available? “Optimized for the Xbox 360″? What?

8. misterT0AST says:

I’ve always thought “Mancubus” Was a crasis of “incubus”=”nightmare” and “man”, meaning “Nightmareman”, rather than “Succubus”=”submissive”—>”female demon”(God knows why) + “man”, which would mean “Male Female Demon”.

9. Turkey says:

Finally. the Big Fun Game edition!

10. Gwilym says:

Doom 2 is my favourite one as well (and, by extension, my favourite game ever), but this bugs me somewhat because as a sequel it’s still really quite a bare-facedly terrible release.

And yeah, I don’t see how any amount of polishing will help 3. Even Rage’s combat had the exact same clunky and awkward feel to it, and that was an entirely new product seven years down the line.

11. Fallward says:

They’re going to ruin the atmosphere of the original by including a mounted flash light.

12. ZIGS says:

I find it amusing that Bethesda put id up to this so they could justify their acquisition. RAGE support was dead in the water, no DLC of any kind was even released and the sequel they actually admitted was already being made is probably canned

13. Daryl says:

I got the original version for free a couple years ago. I got about 18-20 hours of gameplay out of it, so I can’t complain. I don’t see myself picking this up any time soon. Maybe on a Steam sale in another couple years.

14. Chizu says:

They should make this a free upgrade for people who already own d3 and the expansion (certainly if they own it on a digital service like steam).
    The visual upgrades are not worth rebuying the game, since its only really the consoles that will benefit from that, on pc we’ve had mods for years.
    Add the fact that I LIKED not being able to have my light out at the same time as a gun, it made things more interesting, and if you didn’t there were already “duct-tape” mods to fix that.

So yeah.
    I won’t be buying this.
    on with DooM4 please.

15. Lemming says:

I’ll buy it when it’s cheap for my ps3 so the gf can watch it being played. She needs to see why I was so mad at the Doom movie as she rather liked it.

16. Kleppy says:

Holy shit I just realized I never played neither Doom 3, nor Doom 2, and maybe like 3 levels of Doom.

• grundus says:

I hadn’t played more than the first four levels of Doom until recently, now I’ve played the entire first episode, checked that Doom 2 works and haven’t touched Doom 3. Steam is awesome for that sort of thing.

17. SirKicksalot says:

“the craptastic Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil expansion”

I think I somehow ended up in an alternate dimension. Where I come from RoE builds upon the already awesome foundation of Doom 3 by adding new weapons, scenarios and more enemies and ends up being better than the main game.

• fiddlesticks says:

The only good thing I remember about the RoE expansion was the return of the Super Shotgun, the best of all the Doom weapons. Other than that there was a boring Gravity Gun knockoff and an annoying new enemy type which wasn’t fun to fight and appeared far too often. At least the final boss was actually challenging this time around.

Don’t get me wrong, I had fun with RoE. I also had fun with the original Doom 3, but I couldn’t imagine actually paying for a slighty improved version. Especially considering the Doom 2 community is still very active and constantly releasing quality wads that improve upon the original game.

• DrGonzo says:

Don’t worry its just hip to hate doom 3 and this was written by mr meer, you just have to approach all his articles with that attituddif you dont want to get frustrated with rps.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Why hello, misguided youtube commenter. How are you this fine day?

18. DickSocrates says:

Brutal Doom mod for Doom 1 and 2. No more needs to be said. No other games need to be made.

19. Text_Fish says:

£20 is very steep. If it were a tenner I might consider it, but only if I can turn ducttape mode off because I actually quite liked the torch mechanic in vanilla Doom 3 tyvm.

20. Echo Black says:

Thirty dollars? Is this some sort of joke? If it was 9.99$ I might have considered gifting it to a friend who’s Doom-illiterate, but this is ridiculous

21. danimalkingdom says:

Personally, I’m fine with Brutal Doom. It’s almost staggering how much better the first two Doom games are over the third one.

• Echo Black says:

Yeah, no kidding. I replay D1/D2 to this day.

• Very Real Talker says:

brutal doom rules and there is a enormous amount of high quality levels out there… every now and then I play doom\doom2, they really are masterpieces, doom3 is not even on the same league as a game, it’s just a shadow tech demo

22. Shooop says:

But… I already bought the iD Doom pack on Steam.

23. JP says:

Damn you RPS for posting a classic Doom image and making me think there was some classic Doom related news!

24. Metonymy says:

It’s interesting to read these comments. As far as these ports go, I was under the impression that graphical quality pretty much plateaued in the mid 2000s anyway, (with the release of this game, all hail Carmack) and its not like console hardware improves over time. So while this release is unremarkable, I don’t see how it could be disappointing to someone who literally plays a FPS without a mouse.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

See, due to the often tidal levels of snark and sarcasm in RPS posts I don’t actually know how much of this sentence is genuine belief that deserves response and how much is flippant posturing for some circular joke. But, there are definitely better looking games than this and the general level of graphical quality is superior, year-on-year, barring outliers like Crysis, though I personally prefer the superior attention-to-detail and graphical usage of things like The Witcher 2, Metro 2033 and even Max Payne 3 (lawdy, lawd, those dynamic clothing creases).

Also while console hardware doesn’t advance, being obviously a fixed platform, production techniques, hardware usage, coding, middleware and a general knowledge base improve to get far more from consoles over the life of them. Just compare a launch or early-gen title like Rainbow Six: Las Vegas to The Last of Us and it’s basically a generational leap comparable to new console revisions.

• Metonymy says:

I mean what I say, but it’s entirely possible that I’m just not as discriminating as other people. I downloaded crysis once, just to see what the fuss was, but other than being a exploration exercise, with no actual game, it didn’t look any better or worse than anything else. My entire experience with the franchise was in that 15 minutes.

Understanding that I can’t tell the truth, without also being a ‘troll,’ the only thing less important to me than graphics is the story. These two things have nothing to do with gaming, and I know, as I have always known, that game-makers work on adding better graphics and better stories because they cannot think of a single new gameplay element or gameplay type. We’re in a decade long desert of the same hilariously bad games. Halo and Cod were games that I would not allow a young child to play, just because I would consider it cruel to give them something so incapable of engaging their mind. However, most people aren’t especially….anything….so it’s taking them a while to see that we haven’t seen a single new game in a very long time now.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

You kind of lost me when you whined about all games being the same. They are not. Also, judging by your tone, you seem to have a problem with… well, just about anything that isn`t a hipster indie puzzle platformer. Also, why the hell are you complaining about people making better stories for games? Some people do like to play RPG games, adventures, and other genres where story is vital to the player`s enjoyment, and if you don`t like them, well, Steam always has a separate indie section, and many more, so it`s not like you can`t look for games that are trying to convince people that they aren`t Minecraft, Dwarf fortress, and Terraria.
          Last of all, saying that you`re “not as discriminating as other people”, and then saying you hate everything made after 2000 is so hilariously hypocritical it made me spit out a jelly bean.

25. dmoe says:

Gotta make back that Rage money somehow, amirite?

26. Keroton says:

Doom 2 besides Deus Ex is probably my all time favorite game, and of course, when doom 3 came out after a very very very long wait i was mostly disappointed (not counting a slight nostalgia factor) with the game. And that fucking flashlight was such a downer.

But after a few years of refusing to delete the game from the hard drive, i started playing it over and over again. And when i look back at it now, the game is fucking awesome.

First, that fucking flashlight, that’s like saying “Oh my god i hate the Lantern and the Light/Dark mechanics in Amnesia”. Mounted Flashlight makes Doom 3 BFG edition more of what we excepted Doom 3 to be before it came out. But after 8 years of playing the game i really don’t want it to change.
    Flashlight has its purpose, when you play the game on Hard or Nightmare, Doom 3 isn’t a old school shooter anymore, it is a full blown Horror experience much like Amnesia.

Kinda think its very unappreciated in those terms, and I’m kinda sad people are missing Doom 3 the horror game experience and just want it to be like Doom 2.

• Alien says:

Exactly, I played the game on normal but without saving, turned off the hud and changed the FOV to have a realistic value. It was the most immersive horror experience I have ever had playing a game. Graphics and sound are outstanding even today.

• Metonymy says:

If only they would remove the PDAs and stuff, many of which are actually required to move forward through the game. That’s like attaching an anchor to a sportsbike.

27. neofit says:

Doom with checkpoints. Really? The sequel of one of the best games ever, that taught me that save-anywhere-anytime is the only way to play is now being “enhanced” with checkpoints? In that 2nd sequel that “invented” monster closets? I hope said checkpoints are optional, otherwise it’s a definite no-buy.

• d32 says:

This. I don’t want to be that guy again, but… checkpoints and no quicksave == fuck you, no purchase in this kind of game.

28. yazman says:

This is a shockingly bad article. For fuck’s sake Alec we get that you don’t like Doom 3, but your shitting all over it gets in the way of us finding out the basic info.

About the torch on the gun thing, yeah I think that is pretty lame. The atmosphere is best when you don’t have both.

29. jmtd says:

When they re-released Doom 1/2 for XBLA, they added a new episode (or perhaps two), which was very well designed indeed, and great fun to play. I wonder whether they will include that episode as part of this pack? I doubt it, sadly.

(You can find it for PC on the illegal internets)

30. Nallen says:

What would people like from their Doom 4, the barely lit sections of Serious Sam 3 for 12 hours?

31. roryok says:

Why were there chainsaws on mars again?

32. rocketman71 says:

Bah. Not even Threewave could save this turd.

It’s like Crysis: fabulous tech demo, shitty game.

33. SiHy_ says:

I’ve been meaning to try out TheDarkMod so… maybe… if it’s on sale… possibly…

34. grandmaster789 says:

After investigating a little bit, I found out that for PC users the most notable feature is support for HMDs. At 120hz.

So while console users get the high-res textures, extra maps and such, we actually get a game that supports immersive virtual reality. And get the rest of the stuff too.

Not that VR didn’t exist, but an actual (admittedly old) AAA quality game that supports it is pretty new. I haven’t heard about stuff like that since the days of Magic Carpet.

35. drewski says:

I rather liked Doom 3. Found it rather chilling. Couldn’t play it for long at a time, but that is more or less the vibe you want from a survival horror game.

Don’t really have any inclination to return to it, admittedly.

36. Very Real Talker says:

For some reason this announcement piqued my interest but in hindsight I don’t know why…

what’s funny about this release is that id is pumping the “improved graphics” as if the problem with the game was the game itself… it was so disrespectful to the previous two games, the re-invention of the gameplay was just id saying “oh well we don’t think doom 1 and 2 were very good games” which is obviously ridiculous….

I have the impression that doom 3 developers thought, hilariously, that the strength of the first two doom was the plot and the intellectual property (DEMONS IN SPACE!) instead of the gameplay itself, and did a game that focused a lot more on the story (with dubious results) while having completely lack luster action… also, I happen to think that “scary” games (what doom 3 wanted to be, instead of an action games with demonic or disconcerting themes) are boring by definition, but that’s beside the point….(Note: I enjoyed amnesia but I don’t care about playing any other game like that ever in my lifetime)

I have to concede that the game looked impressive at the time and very atmospheric.

Anyway, a lot of years have passed since I played it… might give the game a second try in this bfg edition

• RegisteredUser says:

I think the story is much more that Carmack got pretty obsessed around the capabilities of modern gfx cards, shaders and how to do advanced shadows in particular.
      That’s why the thing got built more around bright/dark and tech features(pixel precision instead of hitboxes or what it was, ultra-high detail models retaining a ton of their look even after downscaling stuff, etc) rather than the purest possible DOOM feel, I guess.

I don’t really blame him, its his world, and he seemed genuinely into all of that stuff, and the engine itself was something, but just as we’d blame other companies for forgetting the game over the tech, this is for a good part what happened here, I feel.

37. RegisteredUser says:

Personally I preferred Doom over Doom 2. I also felt a bit ripped off that the sequel’s only real new feature was the two barrel shotgun and 2(or was it 3 with the different colored demon dude?) new enemy types, neither of which made me exactly gush with excitement.

Doom 1 for me all the way.