Try To Find A Bullet-Free Moment In This PlanetSide Trail

By Nathan Grayson on June 20th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Among other New Conglomerate perks, there's also the ability to throw better raves than any other faction.
You can’t. It’s impossible. I mean, yes, PlanetSide 2 is a first-person shooter, so a certain amount of flying lead is to be expected. This trailer, though, takes it to absurd new heights. For me, the sound of gunfire and explosions eventually became akin to the comforting pitter-patter of raindrops outside my house. Countless virtual men lost their lives, and I wanted to curl up under a blanket with a good book. So probably never put me in a real sci-fi future purple warzone. At any rate, this trailer’s pretty astonishing – though I think it’d leave me a bit worried if I hadn’t already seen others. Open fire on the break to see the full thing.

Right then. Happily, PlanetSide 2 is shaping up to be one of the least one-dimensional shooters out there – much as this trailer would like us to believe otherwise. I mean, yeah, I know it focuses on a ground assault, but – as a general rule – there are times when infantry stop to reload, make key tactical decisions, and, you know, breathe.

It’s not all bad, though. For instance, I spy mechs and stealth suits – though thankfully not at the same time. Also, scroll to about 0:37. OK, now watch the jets. Did that first one just crash into this website¬†and explode? Hm. Now I see why Jim recently insisted on forcing us to start carving our posts into ten-inch-thick steel walls.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Xzi says:

Releasing more trailers at this point is just cruel, like a kid burning ants with a magnifying glass. All they need to do is GIB BETA NAO!!1

I’m prepared to play this game from the time they send out beta invitations until I die. Or until Planetside 3 is released, whichever comes first.

2. gwathdring says:

I don’t get why “size always matters” is their chosen catch-phrase. Does that line have special Planetside relevance? Or is it them trying to be ironic?

This looks intriguing, though … I hope theres a trial period.

• Xzi says:

I don’t know if you were being sarcastic or not, but Planetside 2 is free to play (and not pay to win). So…infinite trial period. Giggity.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

What? WHAT?! I just…. gou\ht[h\mjna9m\n,u\.po,hmn
      Have you never heard a single word about what Planetside IS? Here`s a hint: MMOFPS.
      Also, the game is free to play, sir Lives-Under-A-Rock.

• Wetworks says:

The line refers to the fact that there are 2000 players per map. Compare that to the player cap in any other fps.

• explodeydendron says:

They are referring to guns. Basically, gun size is the key factor in pleasuring a gamer. If you have a small gun, you are shit out of luck. Planetside 2 is a place with lots of big guns for your pleasure. What’s so hard to understand about that?

3. EPICTHEFAIL says:

As for the caption on the picture: HERESY! Vanu always throw the best raves!

4. Droopy The Dog says:

0:37 is also the only bullet free zone, and it’s bearly a second long gap.

5. Amun says:

So when are they releasing this? Did I miss the memo?

6. Jayson82 says:

With the revival of planetside i am thinking we need new anagrams for each side it used to be:

Terran Republic = Elmos
    New Conglomerate = Smurfs
    Vanu Sovereignty = Barneys

My suggestion is:

Terran Republic = Strawberries
    New Conglomerate = Blueberries
    Vanu Sovereignty = Grapes

Any other suggestions?

• westyfield says:

Trepublicans.
      Newcs (pronounced like ‘nukes’).
      Vanuses (to rhyme with ‘anuses’, obviously).

• Spoof says:

Heresy! Elmos, Barnies and Smurfs are engraved in Auraxian law!

• kaffis says:

But.. only one of them is even on the air anymore! Derisive and derogatory nicknames for your enemies work way better when they’re still culturally relevant.

7. Docslapper says:

Want. Now. Please.

8. ayo says:

TR = wascally wabbits……NC=fux dux…………..VS……..Will Prevail

9. Davee says:

*froths at mouth* Yeeess… Yeeeessss.

The fact that I’m sitting on a “Priority Beta Key” dosn’t really make waiting for this any easier! >_>

10. Gentlemoth says:

This comment field is now property of the Terran Republic. All rebels and alien lovers are to leave the premise immediately.

Loyalty unto Death.

11. Longrat says:

The hype, it’s intensifying to a point where we might not be able to contain it.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

I already cannot contain that horribly generic music in my head. I’m extremely looking forward to the game, but damn that music is useless.

• Longrat says:

It… Gets the job done. Also, from what I gather, they’re gonna update the music to make it fully orchestrated and much more bombastic.

• MrUnimport says:

Yeah, I kinda have to agree with you there. NC and especially Vanu get far more characterful musical suites (and manage to incorporate their original themes from PS1) , but this, the TR theme, is as boring as action movie orchestra can get. Maybe when it gets fully orchestrated it’ll turn out more inspiring. I don’t want to have to rethink my choice of faction!

• Gentlemoth says:

Why contain it?

‘S cool.

12. deadly.by.design says:

I like the idea, but based on the gameplay shown, wouldn’t “Bulletspam” be a more appropriate title?

• Xzi says:

Maybe if this is the ONLY gameplay you’ve seen. In which case you’ve seen 1/100th of what this game is all about.

13. Rusty says:

It appears, based on the trailer at 0:20 and 0:22, that the engineer Repair Gun is making a comeback in recognizable form – a relief to me, since the game play looks only more frenetic and I’m more or less crap at the shooty bits. Delighted to see that I’ll be able to bring my Engineer/Medic skills back to the fight, rather than just be a bullet magnet.

14. Euphoric says:

I am eagerly awaiting this beta as is everyone else. But I hope to god it’s not as slow paced as what these trailers depict. Each trailer I’ve seen so far is pretty much just characters “walking” straight forward like zombies and holding down M1 (fire).

15. kud13 says:

That music… it’s the Gundam Wing theme.

• Xzi says:

It had a couple of similar moments, but the Gundam Wing theme actually would have been more impressive.