Digital Diablo III Purchases ‘Restricted’ For Up To 3 Days

By Adam Smith on June 21st, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

Waiting for Diablot

We’ve written and spoken about our concerns and frustrations regarding Diablo III’s relationship with the internet, but Kotaku notice that patch 1.0.3 introduces yet another baffling aspect to what I reckon is an increasingly indefensible strategy. People who purchase the game digitally are now being told that their copy of the game will actually be a starter edition for up to 72 hours. Why? A support agent says “…it is a necessary step to combat fraud and other malicious activities that can weaken everyone’s play experience.” What I’m gathering from all of this is that “everyone’s” play experience seems to be a lot more important than anyone’s play experience.

In case you’re not sure what the starter edition contains, here’s the details:

Act I up to the Skeleton King is available

Level 13 cap

Matchmaking available only with other Starter Edition players

No Auction House access (Real Money or Gold)

Global Play is not available. Players attempting to connect to Diablo III Starter Edition in a region other than their Battle.net Account’s home region will receive Error 12. See the Global Play support article for more information.

It’s the demo. Buying the game directly from Blizzard online gives access to the demo for up to three days before the game itself unlocks. Kotaku speculate that it’s an attempt to reduce server overload but maybe it’s more than that. Perhaps for those first 72 hours behaviour is monitored and vetted to see if any actions are taken that could undermine the integrity of the game or the exchange of money for data. It’s not just a queue but a queue with a security guard walking up and down, frisking the waiting masses.

Nothing would really surprise me. And, yes, it’s only 72 hours but that’s 72 hours more than is reasonable. It’s as if digital versions are now subject to the same delivery time as the good old British postal system.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Faldrath says:

Especially since you can get to the Skeleton King in… 2 hours? Sigh.

• Vorphalack says:

But this must be done, for the Greater Good : |

• PaTr0N says:

This is it, Blizzard have officially lost their minds, and Diablo is not a game anymore but an online scam and crime platform.

• FakeAssName says:

no, they are just morons who don’t know how to run online transactions.

here is what they are afraid of:

people (and by people I mean *scamers*) will “buy” the digital copy of D3 with a fraudulent credit card account, then sell a bunch of shit on the auction house, but by the time Blizzard gets the “fuck you, that account is bad, you get no moneies” letter back from the bank they (the “people”) will have cashed out their AH money and Blizzard will be shit out of luck.

it’s actually a pretty common F2P cash shop scam ….. from 2 million years ago!

any one with half their head out of their ass and does regular business with internet transactions has systems in place to prevent such issues, and tellingly that Blizzad is a bunch of asshats; they don’t give a fuck if third party retailers get hit with this scam and activate their keys instantly.

• Hallgrim says:

How should they protect themselves and their retailers from this scam?

• Òscar says:

well, if it’s as simple as FakeAssName has put it, Blizzard could’ve just blocked the selling part of the auction house. Not being able to sell items in 72 hours is already stupid (although completely acceptable, in my case), but leaving these people with a demo is just preposterous.

• Grygus says:

They could switch to a bank that has updated their systems since 1995. Credit card processing can and should be completed in real time. Nothing in modern banking takes three days.

• akeso says:

As someone who works with financial databases I can tell you that things do in fact still take several days to process and move through any system. What’s changed it that things have been designed to look like it moves through quicker.

2. Calabi says:

I’ve given up with this game already. With patch 1.03 and all their messing about, its like they dont even want players to have any fun at all.

• Xzi says:

I gave up on it after I hit 60 with my first character. I started to play through act 1 normal with a different class, but then caught myself and thought,

“WTF am I doing? Do I really want to trudge through the same sodding linear corridors for a FOURTH time? I didn’t find any interesting loot with my first character. Hell, I doubt interesting loot even exists in this game. Uninstalled.”

Diablo 3 unfortunately has none of the spirit that made its predecessors great.

• ScottTFrazer says:

All of the diablos (and really, most MMORPGs) are basically just skinner boxes designed to keep you pushing that button for the new shiny. How I managed to enjoy it before is a much more difficult pill to swallow than the question of why I’ve stopped enjoying it now.

• elmo.dudd says:

You enjoyed it because the first one had amazing atmosphere, enjoyable NPCs (including monsters! Gharbad! Snotspill!), and a great flair to it which made up for the mechanical shortcomings. I could deal with a numbers crunch if it was in The Halls of the Blind (“vision milky, then eyes rot”) and finding better loot wasn’t for the sake of the loot, but for the sake of surviving longer because the game provided some difficulty up front.

• jezcentral says:

Also, he/she is older and, while before, the clicks were an exciting step to a new piece of loot, now, alas, it just reminds us of the ticking clock as our lives count down to bitter, bitter oblivion.

• misterT0AST says:

*party horn sound*

• JackDandy says:

As a kid, I think I enjoyed it mostly for the pretty animations and monsters getting horribly killed. Also, that instant gratification you get when you find a stronger weapon.

In the present, that is simply not enough to make a game fun for me.

• roryok says:

*party horn sound*

I properly LOL’ed at that

• stupid_mcgee says:

@ misterT0AST: Brilliant and with impeccable timing. Well played!

• jezcentral says:

You heard a party horn? You must be young. My old ears just heard the wail of a Siren as she lured my ship onto the ugly, black rocks of inevitability, as I slipped into the embrace of sweet Death herself.

• Xzi says:

Looking back on my experiences with the first two games, it’s really not all that hard for me to identify why I was able to play them for such long periods of time. The loot was more interesting, bosses had a more epic feeling to them instead of just being weaker versions of unique MOBs like they are in D3, level design was better and more diverse (great memories of the Arcane Sanctum from D2), and the skill systems allowed for a greater diversity of successful builds.

Yes, all three games were designed to keep you playing, but for different reasons. Diablo 3 is the only one that was built to keep you playing in order to continuously pass money through Blizzard to the hands of Bobby Kotick.

• Nesetalis says:

I loved diablo 1 and 2… hell I still play 2.
            I got to lvl 60, didn’t even beat hell diablo… there was just no point. I’ll probably beat him when my room mate gets up there, just to help him, but otherwise i’m done.

• aliksy says:

Diablo1 had less of a focus on gear. You could win by playing smart- the gear just helped. Hell, I’m sure there are people who cleared Diablo1 and 2 without using any gear. No way you’d do that in Diablo3.

Diablo3 is reversed. You win with gear, and playing smart helps a little. Sometimes. But often the numbers are stacked so that you just can’t win.

• Ruffian says:

I think that really is what killed it for me. D1 and D2 were both completeable, quite easily I might add, with skill and careful stat placement, augmented a little bit by some grind/gear. D3 really is the inverse and it’s sad. It’s all too obvious after playing for a few hours after hitting 60 that you’re basically playing a glorified slot machine and that sucks all the fun out of anything – especially when you’re running through the exact same backgrounds every single game. Why they chose to abandon random generation for the wilderness and dungeon parts of the game is baffling to me, considering how much the game seems to want you to replay it.

Let’s not forget as well that the first two had that all too rare full world pvp, so that when you did get bored of farming you could just hostile some fools and go to town for a while, which was a great distraction imo.

• Adekan says:

I’ll add myself to the list of ” Hit 60, realized Inferno was just the same crap but with a mandatory 2-3 week grind between acts to gear up and then uninstalled the game ” crowd.

I spent probably a year and a half playing Diablo 2, and I still fire up Diablo 1 every couple months to give it a run through. I will likely forget I ever purchased D3. Truly disappointed in this game.

• wyrmsine says:

Well, on the bright side, at least Blizzard has your money.

• Roshin says:

Not mine! I never bought it.

/twiddles villain moustache

• dazman76 says:

*leans over and twiddles Roshin’s moustache*

I’m also one of the lucky ones :) I did kind of enjoy the beta, but didn’t really feel like repeating that same bit of gameplay over and over and over again, after paying for the privilege. Given all the crap that’s been flying since release, I’m quite happy with the decision.

This is a really stupid, half-arsed way of approaching the problem. As other posters have noted, restricting only the RMAH for 72 hours surely would have done the job. Only allowing a few hours worth of game in a 72 hour period is the kind of thing only Blizzard would attempt – if you buy the game on Saturday morning with a view to having a damn good weekend of excessive gaming, you’ll be needing something else to play pretty damn quickly.

I’m not sure how much faith I had left in Blizzard, but they managed to reduce it even more. WoW has seriously warped their perception of how to deliver a product and keep an audience happy – they’ve taken expectation built over 10 or whatever years, bungled their way through an atrocious launch, and basically shat all over a large number of their “fans”. It seems that merging with Abortivision really has taken them to new levels of asshattery and customer de-satisfaction.

• caddyB says:

After buying Diablo3 and playing through it once, trying out the nightmare act1 and then getting bored because it’s just.. so repetitive. I can’t believe that I liked the earlier diablos in the first place.

I suppose I’m done with Blizzard, after all. ( not because of diablo3 only, some issues with wow as well )

• Xzi says:

It’s not just because of Diablo 3, no. It’s because of the direction the entire company has taken after being bought out by Activision. Some people were smart enough to cut their losses the second that was announced. It took most of us a little longer to realize the obvious. That it would have a long-term, severely detrimental effect on all of Blizzard’s releases from then on out.

• Starky says:

Just an FYI, Blizzard was never bought out by Activision – Activision have nothing at all to do with the direction, day to day running, or any influence over Blizzard what-so-ever. Bobby Kotick has no influence, or say over how Blizzard runs it’s day-to-days, or any aspect of their business. He’s simply an “on-paper” CEO for a holding company (a fake company that only exists as a box for other companies).

Vivendi own Blizzard, Vivendi own Activision.

Blizzard’s CEO Mike Morhime reports to the board of directors of Vivendi, NOT Activision or Bobby.
            Activisions CEO also reports to the board members of Vivendi.

In fact I’m fairly sure they both report to Jean-Bernard Lévy, who is Chairman of Activision-Blizzard and Chairman of Vivendi.

Titles in a holding company (acti-Bliz) are actually pretty worthless, and usually honorary and nothing more.

• Xzi says:

Well that’s the PR spin that they shoved down our throats when it happened, but it’s unfortunately not quite true. Activision merged with Vivendi Games, not Blizzard itself. And Vivendi Games was the division in charge of Blizzard.

From Wikipedia: “Bobby Kotick, once head of Activision, was announced to become President and CEO of Activision Blizzard.”

Ultimately, Blizzard answers to Kotick and Activision’s shareholders. And they’re only interested in the number of units sold, not making quality products. Which only makes sense, being that they’re businessmen and not gamers or game developers.

• lurkalisk says:

Uh, no. The “spin” was that Activision was now just as super as Blizzard (hence “Activision Blizzard”), and that this merger brought two well known names together. In reality, when Vivendi and Activision merged, Vivendi came out with a majority stake, so Vivendi effectively just bought Activision. Then, as the French are apparently wont to do, they organized the whole thing in a bizarre manner that has confused the world into thinking Activision bought Blizzard. As it happens, Blizzard had VERY little to do with any of this, their reputation was just flaunted around in order mollify would-be worriers.

Vivendi and its heads and board are the one’s who are “ultimately” answered to. Not Kotick (who’s practically a financial middleman), and certainly not Activision’s shareholders, who have no power whatsoever over “Activision Blizzard” or its properties, save Activision itself.

Moreover, Blizzard started to succumb to some vile infestation before Vivendi ever wrapped their tentacles around them, and WoW was that infestation’s harbinger. Vivendi and friends just made the problem more obvious.

• Xzi says:

True enough. Vivendi isn’t much better than Activision in many regards. WoW was a last-ditch effort to rake in some cash when they were upside-down on their finances, and it was that soullessness that drove off the majority of Blizzard’s best employees right near the game’s release.

But it still basically goes Vivendi > Activision > Blizzard as far as chain of command. Meaning that Blizzard has to suffer a whole lot of douchebaggery when trying to make any small decision. Still, even if this weren’t the case, what small amount of talent they have left in their design/development divisions probably wouldn’t be enough to hold their collective heads above water anyway.

It’s just a good thing (or a bad thing, depending on your point of view) that they have years of name recognition and hordes of paid-for game critics in their pocket. Conversion to “Call of Diablo” successful in that regard. Hey look, it even has the same acronym.

• Starky says:

Well ultimately we’re only guessing on exactly how they are structures internally, but Mike Morhime (CEO of bliz) has said on multiple occasions that he reports directly to Vivendi, and only meets the Activision guys like twice a year to talk about financials – and that is it.

I’m inclined to believe him.

• j3w3l says:

I have been enjoying it so far but I really haven’t been playing it that much, or exclusively. Just a couple hours here and there, a little bit after I get home…haven’t even finished act 4 on the sc main and my chars dying in hc still makes me laugh .

I can understand the feeling though, as it has that artificial grind later on that most mmo’s have that makes you want to headbutt the screen after extended play… I think I’ll quit too when it gets to that

• Spen says:

With the RMAH, sometimes you gotta wonder who’s farming who. Join the QQ: https://www.facebook.com/SickOfDiablo3

3. CaspianRoach says:

That is “people who buy the game from battle.net store”. You’ll be fine if you purchase it via online shop vendors, because they sell cd-keys from boxes, and while that’s not exactly legal or honest it is usually cheaper.

• diamondmx says:

I am curious what’s illegal or dishonest about selling the only part that matters to people who only want that part?

• Brun says:

There’s a minor (but vocal) segment of RPS readers that believe that purchasing software doesn’t “count” unless it comes on a disc in a box.

• MordeaniisChaos says:

It has to do with how those codes are acquired, I assume.

• briktal says:

There are issues with some of these kinds of sites that get their CD keys from regions with reduced prices.

• CaspianRoach says:

Well the seller opens the purchased boxes en masse, scans/photographs the cd-keys and sells those. If the seller is dishonest he can quite easily revoke the accounts based on the physical box he has and resell those. And, well, he’s not supposed to open the boxes himself, pretty sure that’s forbidden by some rule or law. Tampering with the goods, selling an incomplete package, that kind of stuff.

4. gunny1993 says:

This game only took 10 years because it was made by monkeys on laptops.

• trjp says:

Some of their staff may be offended by that – chances are some of them could have you charged with racially aggravated assault.

On a lighter note – you’re a fucking idiot.

• jonnyherbert says:

I’m not convinced that was the direction Mr. Gunny was taking his conversation, but … OK! In related news, that infinite monkeys = Hamlet jest was despicable, wasn’t it?

• trjp says:

So you’re saying the gibbering shithole above me was comparing D3 to Hamlet?

Really?? :)

• Vorphalack says:

You remind me of someone who once accused me of discriminating against all disabled people for using the word crutch, in the context of a metaphorical support.

I though that guy was a fruit loop. You make him look rational.

• Toberoth says:

Your reaction seems… pretty extreme.

• Sarkhan Lol says:

Fruit loop? Nice anti-gay rhetoric, you FASCIST.

• Phantoon says:

I like how the guy took “monkeys” to mean “racially aggravated assault”.

No one but a racist would see “monkey” as a reference to any race.

• caddyB says:

I still don’t understand which race is supposed to be the monkeys, since we’re pretty much all primates.

• sbs says:

Dude.

• jonnyherbert says:

No, you know, the Hamlet thing. Here we are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

• TsunamiWombat says:

CAANN YOU FEEL THE LOOVVE TONIGHT

IT IS WHERE WE AARREE

• Rikard Peterson says:

Hakuna Matata! (At least for me, since I haven’t bought Diablo 3.)

• Ruffian says:

yeah it’s kinda a riff on the old, “put a bunch of monkey’s in a room with typewriters and enough time, and they’ll eventually produce the works of Shakespeare.”

• Wisq says:

I do love it when people trip my block-o-metre so hard that I don’t even have to hesitate before punching that button.

Life has so many tricky and ambiguous decisions that it’s nice to have a really obvious one now and then.

• Droopy The Dog says:

Is it me or has there been a sharp increase in the belligerent, randomly abusive, half-wit type of commenter on RPS recently?

It’s quite off putting.

• PodX140 says:

^I’d attribute it to some 4chan raid or something or other. Ehhh, they’ll lose interest sooner or later. (Either the idiots or if it’s a raid, I mean).

• LionsPhil says:

They show up whenever Diablo III is mentioned.

That said, the Civ V Gods & Kings Wot I Think was interesting, which started off very civil and actually discussing the relative strengths and weaknesses of the games, then toward the last pages accumulated some “hurr haters hurr”.

• Ninja Dodo says:

Maybe RPS could auto-ban any commenter that gets blocked by at least 3 people in a thread of 100+ comments. Because there does seem to be a pattern of “article about controversial subject” gets 5 times the comments from angry people who normally never come here.

OR for maximum irony: RPS could institute a waiting period for newly registered comments where they are not allowed to post in a 100+ thread until they’ve waited at least 1 day.

• Jorum says:

Someones mentions monkeys and the first thing you think is “OMG! he’s talking about black people” ?
        that’s very odd you know…

calling him a gibbering shithole seems OTT, and also with regard
        to hamlet possibly you are unaware of the infinite monkeys concept?

edit – forget it, saw other comments and clearly you are very protective of D3 – which is fair enough but aggressiveness won’t help you’re cause

• Phantoon says:

Oddly enough, this is the same behavior people that defended Bioware for their last three games did. Exact same behavior. They think, in the rudimentary monkey part of the brain, that if their hobby is criticized, THEY are being criticized for enjoying it. And not just “you have no taste”, but “you are worse than Hitler”. This almost always goes hand in hand with really mediocre or bad games, as people have to build up the time they spent on the game in their minds, otherwise they’ll have to admit to themselves they wasted fifty hours on a video game they didn’t even like.

And most people just aren’t capable of rationalizing that cognitive dissonance, much less even assessing it.

• piratmonkey says:

They respond that way because the criticism is often leveled at them as well. You did it in that very paragraph in fact.
            “…otherwise they’ll have to admit to themselves they wasted fifty hours on a video game they didn’t even like.”
            See?

Edit: By the way, the person’s reply is OTT. In case that wasn’t clear.

• Wisq says:

Oh pshaw. That’s not a knife ad hominem criticism. That’s stating the problem, which is human nature. Nobody wants to admit they wasted their time, if there’s any possible argument to convince ourselves otherwise.

Saying they lack the brain cells to admit etc etc. … Now that would be criticism directed at the players.

• piratmonkey says:

Except it disregards the shocking notion that, and bear with me, they actually enjoyed the game. The position taken is that the offended party is being contrary not because they are defending something they like, but because they refuse to admit that they’re wrong.

• Wisq says:

No, read that last post again:

This almost always goes hand in hand with really mediocre or bad games

As in, “you see this behaviour a lot, in connection with mediocre or bad games”. Doesn’t mean he’s referring to every single player of those games — just the subset of those players who then take all criticism personally and come on forums to yell at other people.

When taken with the above, essentially this is just saying, “When a game is mediocre/bad, there tend to be people who did not enjoy the product as much as they would have hoped, and are desperately looking to justify their questionable decision to spend a large amount of money and/or time on it. These people tend to take criticisms about the game very personally, and they yell at everyone else because they feel defensive and insecure.”

Which, IMO, is 100% rational (the theory, not the players), and certainly explains the influx of rude posts that seem to accompany a lot of these sorts of articles. Perhaps there are other explanations or contributing causes, but I would tend to agree that the above theory is probably true.

(In fact, technically, the above wasn’t even saying Diablo 3 was a bad/mediocre game. It was saying that when a game is bad/mediocre, we tend to get a similar sort of response, thereby implying that Diablo 3 is one such game.)

• piratmonkey says:

Oh I don’t disagree that it’s true but from what I’ve seen in these comments, it’s the anti-D3 crowd that has been the most abrasive.

“Oddly enough, this is the same behavior people that defended Bioware for their last three games did. Exact same behavior. ”

And I feel that’s a critical piece of context to my response.

• mr.ioes says:

I’ve been reading RPS for a year now and this was the most offensive post I’ve read.
        Can you please leave this site and go somewhere else?
        You didn’t understand the OP btw, as others already mentioned.

• alundra says:

Oh look at him, so manly, hidden behind the monitor, wanna know something?? the one in danger of being target for racially aggravated assault. is you, how the fuck can you be so disrespectful as to even think “black people” when the word monkey is mentioned.

Then again, I can almost bet outside the computer you won’t have big enough balls to call somebody fucking idiot to their face in an attempt to hide your innate racism.

So, don’t worry, your safe as long as you keep your anger hidden behind in your computer.

• Phantoon says:

He didn’t say black people. He said “racially aggravated assault”.

But none of us are stupid.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Beyond that, OP’s post was nowhere near aggravated assault. Hell, it’s not even anywhere near verbal assault.

Onto the block list trjp goes.

• Wisq says:

“I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fingers suddenly clicked the ‘Block’ button and trjp was suddenly silenced.”

• Stellar Duck says:

*sigh*

I really hoped you were going with ‘Some of their staff may be offended by that – chances are some of them are apes.’

But no, you went in the bat shit crazy direction instead of a lighthearted poke at Blizzards people and the idea of infinite monkeys.

• Lukey__b says:

He’s getting jumped on because he made the assumption that the OP was using ‘Monkeys’ as a racial slur. People saying he must have a racist mind to even connect ‘Monkeys’ with… a particular race, I won’t repeat… even though he didn’t say the particular race… so that means people jumping on him must be racist as they are also mentally connecting the same dots.

I’m probably racist as well :(

• Shooop says:

If the first thing you think of when you see that extremely commonly used figure of speech are black people maybe you should stop and think very long and hard about who’s really the more racist one.

Now go sit on the railroad tracks and think about what you’ve done.

• Makariel says:

FYI: When going climbing in my regular group we refer to each other as monkeys. “I feel like a monkey today”, is something I’d say when I really do well at a given route. Incidentally, monkey is also my Chinese zodiac. Monkeys are considered inventive, quick-witted, flexible, loyal, social, innovative, artistic and cunning amongst other things. It baffles me that someone would think of a monkey as a racial slur first and foremost. Monkeys are awesome.

• LegTaste says:

There’s some absolute morons here, the op not being one of them.

5. jthmmdom says:

Ehhh. Blizzard seems incredibly overbearing on how often the consumer can play their games. I for one have boycotted Blizzard. If any other smaller company were to pull this people would be checking out.

• Stephen Roberts says:

Yeah, all this Diablo three noise has got me on the boycott too. And I was just about to consider returning to the slick, inviting folds of World of Warcraft.

Better get EVE Online running for the winter.

• Wisq says:

I’ve been avoiding Blizzard since very soon after purchasing Starcraft 2, even before they started banning people for cheats in singleplayer. And Diablo 3′s DRM was ringing alarm bells pretty much immediately.

My feeling was, a company that treats their customers like complete crap (once they’ve paid) is highly unlikely, or possibly incapable, of producing anything of particularly notable fun-value. And it seems I was right, both in the (lack of) lasting D3 appeal for many people, and for how they’re somehow managing to find more ways to abuse their customers.

I’d honestly prefer to play slots in Vegas. At least that way you get free drinks.

6. Drake Sigar says:

Someone try and defend this latest move, I dare you.

This emphasises what Jim Sterling said – Blizzard are taking all the petty problems companies are supposed to worry about and making them the problems of their own customers.

• briktal says:

“A friend of mine bought the game with a bad credit card. He got a good 60 hours out of it before they canceled his account.”

• ScottTFrazer says:

I’ll give it a go.

They’ve probably seen a larger than normal number of people purchasing the digital version, creating an account, paying with a credit card, power-leveling a character, dumping the goods to the auction house, and then disputing the credit charge.

All things you can’t easily do with a physical copy of the game.

I don’t play multiplayer at all. I have 0 contacts in the game and yet I’m still spammed regularly by gold farmers wanting to be my “friend.” I’m betting most of those accounts are being created using the methods they’ve just stopped.

• Brun says:

This is my guess as well. I’m not sure it’s a good defense though, as they’re sacrificing a lot in exchange.

• Cooper says:

That’s Blizzard’s problem to deal with. They’ve dealt with it by making it the problem of their newly gained custmers. Well done them. Clever.

• ScottTFrazer says:

Well, to be fair: Getting spammed by gold farmers is a problem for their customers, too. They’ve chosen to inconvenience new customers to help keep current customers happier (if we assume my theory is the correct one… I certainly don’t know that)

And sure, there may be other ways to deal with it… Maybe allow the full game to be played but restrict multiplayer and auction house access until the waiting period has passed? But our commenting lives on the internet wouldn’t be nearly as much fun if we didn’t have this kind of thing to talk about :-)

• HothMonster says:

“They’ve dealt with it by making it the problem of their newly gained custmers”

Same thing they do for WoW. However a starter edition in wow can actually be three days worth of content.

• danielfath says:

How does this stop criminals from I dunno, playing it for a period (to masquarade as players), powerleveling, selling items and canceling their credit cards? Does this mean the period of demo will extend? Are we looking at infinite demo time?

• Makariel says:

I am a person who bought the digital version straight from battle.net. For me this new measure indicates Blizzard sees me and people like me as potential criminal who must be stopped. I don’t enjoy feeling like a criminal.

• subedii says:

Someone try and defend this latest move, I dare you.

Try? I thought the traditional responses were pretty much copy-paste by this stage.

- “Stop being such a WHINY BABY, Diablo 3 is still the most amazing game EVER!”

- “This is an MMO, not a singleplayer game you prat, STOP MAKING FALSE COMPARISONS!”

- “When did this place get so full of entitled brats? It’s only three days, then you’ve got the full game forever!”

- “Yet again, RPS on its HOLY CRUSADE to demean D3 just because it’s from a big company, freaking hipster indie neckbeards. Get out of your mother’s basement!”

- “So how much are you being paid to continually talk down someone else’s popular game then? Or have you always been this intent on flogging dead horses?”

EDIT: I’ll fess up, this is an overly snide post. But half the time I see a defence of D3, it’s usually saddled with an ad-hominem directed at the poster for even suggesting such a thing.

• Blackcompany says:

/Sarcasm. Right.

Sarcasm?

You mean…you mean it, don’t you? You’re actually, really ok with this? With buying a game – for full price – and then being told that, DSPITE HAVING BOUGHT THE FULL GAME, FOR FULL PRICE, you can’t have it for three days. Because…because…we fucking said so.

You’re really ok with that?

My god I ain’t got the words….

• Toberoth says:

No no I think you missed the point: he’s anticipating stock responses from die-hard Blizzard defenders. I don’t think he’s defending it himself.

• subedii says:

I would suggest you re-read that first sentence. And the last one.

And maybe everything in-between too and note that aside from being the deliberately over the top and the kind of ad-hominems I talked about, it’s also deliberately in quotation marks.

• Shooop says:

Well yes and no. He’s running through the list of arguments the Blizzard fanboys and shills have made and probably inevitably will make to defend their brain-dead DRM decisions.

He’s not serious about them, but the idiots who are bound to show up and make those arguments probably are.

• trjp says:

I’m not going to defend it – but I’d point to the every growing number of online DD stores who are blacklisted by card companies and remind you that card fraud is a massive, massive problem.

It’s not just plain card fraud either – there’s also a significant issue of kids using their parents cards and then ‘playing dumb’ when the bill comes in. The parent doesn’t recognise the charge and so just reverses it – credit cards are particularly happy to let people do this and all of a sudden the store is losing a fortune.

Then there’s the idea of making people’s in-game effort worth real-world money = it’s a massive risk and no-one has tried to do it ‘legitimately’ before so you can bet they just became the centre of a massive shitstorm of idiots from small scale scammers to major international criminals looking to hide money.

But none of that explains why the fucking game makes you play 20 hours of ‘idiot difficulty’ before it offers a challenge…

• Freud says:

I would assume they have been hit really hard by people ‘buying’ the game with stolen credit card information and those accounts are being used to spam/mule for a while until it’s discovered.

• Phantoon says:

Hahahaha! Jim Sterling finally found a backbone, did he? Or did he realize the tide turned against Blizzard? Far more likely the second one.

• Lokai says:

You do know that RPS has been consistently anti Diablo 3 from the moment it was always online?

• Phantoon says:

Jim Sterling is not a part of RPS.

What the hell, dude.

• Toberoth says:

I don’t think they’ve been consistently anti-Diablo at all: many of the writers have said that they enjoy playing the game when it’s not been bugging or lagging out on them, and they’ve recognised its polish and what have you several times. I think they’re anti-customers-being-screwed-over-by-draconian-drm-schemes and that’s about it. And I see nothing wrong with being opposed to that.

• subedii says:

Pretty much. They’ve always been pretty direct when saying they enjoy the gameplay (or don’t, but give reasonable explanations as to why it doesn’t appeal to them. Which is when they get attacked some more as “haters”).

That doesn’t mean that they’re supposed to fawn over every decision that Blizzard makes with the title. And to be honest, there’s been a lot of stuff that DEFINITELY doesn’t warrant praise.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Probably because its an awful idea, awfully implemented.

• MadTinkerer says:

I think it’s more anti-unnecessary-infrastructure-built-into-Diablo-3-which-can’t-be-separated-from-the-game. I know that’s what I’m against.

Nothing wrong with the Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter, etc. Everything wrong with the cash auction house.

• Lokai says:

This is pretty terrible by Jim and Kotaku both left out an important piece of information. The accounts are only stuck at digital starter edition until their payment is cleared, which can take “up to 72 hours”. It’s still pretty vague, but they do indicate that it could take way less than 24 hours and I still think the whole thing is really dumb on Blizzard’s part.
      Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5889089807

• Wisq says:

Honestly, it does not take 72 hours to process a credit card. Doesn’t even take more than about 30 seconds, and that’s for particulary slow CC gateways.

Source: I work as a programmer & sys/netadmin in an e-commerce company.

• danielfath says:

I don’t think Lokai meant processing, but the 7-day cancelation period. In which case why is demo only three days?

• Winless says:

Challenge accepted. To my knowledge, the restriction is only until payment is processed and verified. This stops people from fudging credit cards and getting up to shenanigans during that process.

It can be as soon as within the hour; 3 days is just the max amount of time that it’s allowed to take.

• Joof says:

Latest move? They’ve done this for all their games until payment fully processes. A couple years back my friends had a 3 day period where he couldn’t use his mail or make parties in WoW because his payments hadn’t processed yet so he was still on a trial account or whatever they call it.

7. DickSocrates says:

Diablo III isn’t a video game, it’s a revenue stream.

Wait for Torchlight 2 and give up on this farce.

• trjp says:

Were you expelled from school before they taught the basic concept that it’s idiotic to make one assumption and then back it up with a totally illogical follow-on (they cover this about Year 2).

• Highstorm says:

Hey! I read about you in the comment above! Hi!

• PodX140 says:

Exactly what I was thinking, oh you :)

Seriously though, why is it that when I block I still unblock every time just to see what crazy/offensive/idiotic antics the person is up to? It’s like a large “VIEW ME FOR ENTERTAINMENT” warning, it does the exact opposite!

• mr.ioes says:

And I thought RPS was a safehaven from trolls like you. Times have changed.

• Vorphalack says:

The battle.net forums must be down or something. Hell, it’s getting to the point with Blizzard where you can say that at random and be right more often than not.

• Toberoth says:

It used to be better, but for whatever reason it has become significantly worse since the Diablo 3 release. I’m sure I’m not just imagining it: everyone seems more uptight and quicker to insult one another over the slightest thing. It’s… not very fun anymore.

• Phantoon says:

It’s been a steady decline over there. Their moderation system is mostly automated now, so if you get reported ten times, you get an auto ban.

Shit, at this point, I’m pretty sure Bioware has admitted they’ve messed up more than Blizzard. And they NEVER admit to screw ups.

• Toberoth says:

Ah, I was talking about the RPS comments! I can’t speak for the Blizzard forums as I’ve never been over there. I assume it’s probably quite bad though, given some of the behaviour I encountered while playing WoW.

• Phantoon says:

It used to be okay in different ways.

• Eraysor says:

This is the first time I’ve ever blocked an RPS commenter!

• wodin says:

Rather harsh tgrp…Of course it’s a revenue stream. Developers don’t make games for anything other than money. Just some milk it and put all kinds of crap in it to protect the stream of cash (though it’s debatable they’d make much more if the game was never pirated etc as I stand by my opinion that those who pirate on the whole would never have bought said game anyway.

• Shooop says:

What’s wrong kid, are the Battle.net or IGN forums down for temporary maintenance?

8. Buemba says:

Maybe they’ll sell an unlock key on their store for those who don’t want to wait.

I’m still enjoying the hell out of the game, but their business decisions get more indefensible by the minute.

9. Gonefornow says:

*Sigh*
    Well at least it’s one more example against monetary systems.

If you want to make a money making/involving system “fair” (not exploitable, everyone has the same chance of success) you’ll have to implement all sorts of systems to prohibit illegal activity.

Systems of which create more loopholes for illicit behavior, thus even more systems are created
    and so on…

Just like patching MP games, now that I think of it.
    And that is where I started from so nevermind.

10. lizzardborn says:

The fun part is how fast the Diablo fatigue kicked in almost all of my friends playing the game. And blizzard is not doing a lot to keep the fire burning. Things like that are not helping. Which is sad because it is a gameplay gem, but for various reasons is hindered by its own developers.

11. Brun says:

I don’t see how this would reduce server overhead. Now that the initial rush is over they shouldn’t be worried about server overhead anyway.

This sounds more like a measure to combat item/gold farming, similar to the restrictions they placed on AH and COD mails in WoW. The means by which it accomplishes that are unclear, but my guess is that they’ve observed some instances of behavior that these measures are specifically designed to defeat.

This seems quite drastic though. I don’t expect it to last long.

12. misterT0AST says:

In a couple of years people will have forgotten about all of this nonsense, and they will start playing Diablo III “again”.
    People need time to forgive and forget all of this crap they’re putting up with. But I reckon eventually they will, and Diablo III will be a game they come back to from time to time.
    That seems to be Blizzard’s plan at least. They know that outrage and indignation will wear off.
    I think Blizzard is trying to make this game one of those that will be played for years, to the expense of immediate consumer good will.

I’m curious to see how this business model will turn out.
    Time will tell.

• Vorphalack says:

This isn’t part of any grand master plan, it’s a knee jerk reaction to the latest unforeseen consequence of the RMAH.

• misterT0AST says:

The whole idea that the game will last so long that a few very very hard kicks in the teeth of consumers in the first months won’t matter anymore with time is a deliberate strategy imho.
        The problem is, if people get sick of Diablo 3 too soon, or get turned off forever, this strategy will fall to pieces.
        Yes, I think there’s a strategy behind this.
        And yes this tinfoil hat is pretty comfy, thanks for asking.

• Phantoon says:

I don’t see that paying off with the mainstream audience that went “wow I am bored of this let’s go back to call of duty #9″ or the audience that was already here that’s already looking at Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, or Torchlight 2.

• karhazx says:

As a gamer and as a consumer, I have a long memory of companies, my impressions of them, their products, and their services.

I remember Blizzard as it was before Activision acquired it. I remember Blizzard games were something I would not hesitate to buy and the experiences of playing those games were awesome.

Now, I’ve a new evaluation of Blizzard and it’s one I don’t like.

It’d be nice to say that this is all something people will get over, but probably not because time heals all wounds, but because by then screwing over the customer even MORE SO will be standard practice.

A few more years of gaming going down this road, and I’m just likely to give up on it altogether. It’ll be too bad, but you know, this industry is causing far more headaches and disappointment than it ever has.

• DodgyG33za says:

I felt that way when I read the details of the BF3 Premium package. It may seem like a small thing, but someone getting priority in a server queue because they paid a subscription in addition to buying the game crossed the line for me.

I love me a bit of man shooting, but really hate the way it is going with their closed ecosystem wring as much money out of you as they can model. Especially as they are not addressing the one thing that really plagues the genre – hacks.

• Wisq says:

What I’m most curious about is, how do Blizzard employees see the current situation?

Do they come to work with all the (presumed) good spirits and enthusiasm of a Valve employee? Do they see themselves as pioneers, as innovators, bringing seamless single/multi RTS and ARPG games to their adoring masses, fighting off the evil fraudsters to keep their players protected and happy? Do they shrug off the criticism from the gaming news sites as people just not understanding their vision, figuring they’ll all come around eventually?

Or do they come to work with the dull resignation of someone working at a once-great company, now just going through the motions until the next paycheque? Do they try to come up with innovative new approaches, only to be shot down by execs who want them to just make “another Diablo, only this time with more money“? Do they feel guilty for treating their customers so badly, and wish there were a way to appease their angry money-lords that didn’t involve sacrificing the fans to them? Do they realise how they’ve poisoned their name and reputation, and just hope that people will see fit to forgive them?

Judging from how Bobby Kotick handles game development, I’m betting on something closer to the latter. But it doesn’t really matter either way … they’re both tragic for different reasons.

13. Belsameth says:

So far I’ve tried to, mostly, defend blizzard but this is a form of asshattery that not even EA would dare pull.

14. Stackler says:

This company is a joke.

• Unaco says:

This is a joke, right? Right? Someone tell me this is a joke. Please!

This is pretty much indefensible by Blizzard. I can understand them wanting to keep the ‘integrity’ of their game and their ‘mingle player’ experiment or whatever it is… but not like this.

• Highstorm says:

It just shines this massive spotlight on the RMAH as being the absolute focus of the game’s design. Always-online, boring minor-statistical upgrade gear drops combined with gear checks per difficulty level (just so you can get more boring, shitty loot), and now artificially limiting what paying customers are allowed to do with their product (oh sorry, that’s service now right?) to combat fraud.

None of this garbage would have been necessary if that RMAH didn’t exist. I don’t even understand why it does exist. Isn’t it the point of playing Diablo to get better gear from monsters you kill? Isn’t that where the joy is derived? (Especially now that you don’t customize your skills as you level.) So why would anyone want to buy that gear instead? What are you going to do with it…?

• piratmonkey says:

Hi, I have no knowledge of how the game works and/or am also deliberately misrepresenting the mechanics too! Let’s be friends.

• Phantoon says:

Oh, good! You haven’t run out of energy to defend this. Tell me, how is this one okay?

• piratmonkey says:

I’m not defending the 3 day waiting period. However, I am addressing the misrepresented statements made above.

• briktal says:

But this was all more or less in Diablo 2, except the RMAH of course.

• Highstorm says:

Maybe the gear checks were, but the online requirement certainly wasn’t. And there was a greater diversity of stats and potential unique effects that items could have on them. For D3 they streamlined all of that down to one prime stat for your class, and made base weapon damage key since all of your abilities scale off of it. As such the progression of power is very flat and steady. You never really have a “wow!” moment of finding something that really powers you up. Similarly, replacing older gear is a simple matter of seeing if the “Damage” number on your sheet is higher with this weapon, or that weapon. D2 had items that would grant you free levels of skills, among other things. It meant keeping a weapon with inferior damage around for awhile, because it gave you power in other ways.

@piratmonkey

What exactly have I misrepresented or not understood?

@Highstorm

“…(Especially now that you don’t customize your skills as you level.)” Except you do customize them with runes, which modify the behavior of the skill rather than a slight increase to damage/crit/etc. You know, exciting things.

“And there was a greater diversity of stats and potential unique effects that items could have on them.” Except there really wasn’t.

“Similarly, replacing older gear is a simple matter of seeing if the “Damage” number on your sheet is higher with this weapon, or that weapon. D2 had items that would grant you free levels of skills, among other things.” You do realize there is gear in D3 that has skill modifying stats, right?

“It meant keeping a weapon with inferior damage around for awhile, because it gave you power in other ways.” That also takes place in D3. Converting damage to life, mana on hit, etc. are all factors that are taken into consideration, not just damage.

Your issues can be leveled at an AH of any kind, not just the RMAH. So say so, otherwise you’re just jumping on the RMAH-hating bandwagon. Also you keep mentioning “gear checks” and I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Trying a new rune each level for 10 minutes then deciding to continue using the one you had previously – most likely from 1st level – is not really that exciting.

• piratmonkey says:

I’m not sure of the argument your making here. Dumping skill points (often times irreversibly) into a boring skill so it’s slightly less boring is the better solution? “Wow, a whopping 2% damage increase? Thanks!” And the runes really do depend on your play style. I tend to switch up my configuration regularly.

DOUBLE QUOTE COMBO!
            ““…boring minor-statistical upgrade gear drops…” you’ve described Diablo and all its clones. It’s what these games thrive off of.”

You’ve never played Diablo 1, I take it? There was nothing boring about getting an ultra rare item, because they weren’t so common like they were in the second and third.

• piratmonkey says:

Sorry, when referring to “Diablo” I meant the more contemporary design philosophy (i.e. lots of loot. lots of shiny shiny loot) found in the popular clones (TL, D2 (and D3 by extension), etc.).
            And isn’t it common practice if quoting a quote, you place the original in single quotes? English class never really cleared that one up. <– actual question.

• Wisq says:

Thing is, Torchlight didn’t do the whole “boring minor-statistical upgrade gear drops” thing, afaict.

I remember gear in Torchlight being full of myriad bonuses of different sorts. Comparing gear was often like comparing apples and oranges, where you had to decide if the combined bonus provided by gear B was really enough to warrant using it instead of gear A, or perhaps only using it in certain circumstances. And certain bonuses would play particularly well with each other.

What I’ve seen of the best D3 gear: It’s a big giant DPS/armor number, some stat bonuses, and maybe one or two extra effects (regeneration, etc.). zzz.

• piratmonkey says:

I think we remember TL very differently.

• Wisq says:

Quite possibly. I do remember it reasonably fondly, but I also vaguely remember getting tired of it and never finishing it. So maybe there’s a flaw in my memory somewhere.

• piratmonkey says:

I never finished it either :/ The endless side dungeons to retrieve some inconsequential item for that jackaass who just opens the portal sucked the joy out of the main quest line.

• Phantoon says:

I’m amazed THIS is the thing the fanboys can’t defend. Really? Every other aspect gets a pass, but having Error 37 for 3 days built in is the one thing that can’t be defended?

Honestly, I think I’m disappointed the fanboys picked NOW to run out of steam.

15. Turin Turambar says:

So you buy a game for $50 or whatever amount, and you can’t play more than the first 2-3 hours of the experience until 3 days passes.

Great. Just great.
    Usually when I buy a $50 product I am entitled to use it in that moment. That immediate satisfaction is one of the reasons to buy the game!

Blizzard is making so easy to hate them

16. Kaira- says:

It’s nice to see that Blizzard values its customers by giving them a demo while they wait for the full game to unlock. /s

17. SquareWheel says:

Torchlight 2 it is.

• Chmilz says:

Plus if you pre-order Torchlight 2 on Steam, you get Torchlight 1 free and can play it immediately. It’s like opposite +1, in your favor.

• elmo.dudd says:

And for the price of Diablo 3 you can get 4 copies of Torchlight 2 to gift to your friends, to enjoy in their 6 player co-op which also works even in an offline LAN, as well as a solo mode that doesn’t require network activity, and mod tools.

• Beelzebud says:

In hindsight I really wish I would have bought the TL2 4 pack.

• Lycan says:

Maybe the D3 developers are heavily invested in Torchlight 2 / Runic Games. I’m not a Blizzard fanboy (never have been, even during the D2 and Warcraft3 heydays) but Blizzard are being suspiciously assenine with D3. It’s almost unfathomable why they continue to make their shaky product worse with each passing day.

Patch 1.0.3 is actually giving me worse performance than previous versions, when base game client performance was one of the few things *not* wrong with D3… (of course, network and server performance is a whole different story).

Must admit, the lack of news on Torchlight 2 is starting to worry me :(

• zaprowsdower says:

I played the TL2 beta a few weeks ago and while it isn’t stunning, it still has everything that D3 completely lacks. I hope it comes out before August.

18. JD Ogre says:

See, crap like this is why I’ll be going with Torchlight 2… Yeesh.

19. trjp says:

Speaking of the starter edition – shouldn’t that be available to everyone by now??

or did they decide to limit it to people who paid for it *coughs* :)

• MordeaniisChaos says:

It’s invite only, as far as I know. I believe they have plans to change that, maybe even they already did change it. *shrugs*

20. diamondmx says:

What are the odds this has something to do with keeping the integrity of their blatant money grab store?.

21. Allenomura says:

It wouldn’t be that bad, if they charged you after your paid trial. The situation’s daft though, in the first place – I’m having nothing to do with it, for the foreseeable. There’s a ton of options on games to play (never imagined I’d be of this opinion for D3, once it was released) and the game’s making itself increasingly easy to overlook, the more we get to see where the bulk of interest is around it.

22. Artificial says:

Yeah… Blizzard has quickly gone from being one of my favourite gaming companies to one of my most hated, to the point where I won’t be jumping at any games they’ll be releasing any time soon.

It’s sad, they’re turning in to an absolute joke.

23. MythArcana says:

*yawn*

*** Waits for the inevitable flock of fanboys to defend this lemon title and its’ respective creators. ***

24. keab42 says:

I do have to wonder how this stands up to UK Distance Selling regulations….

• trjp says:

Software isn’t covered by them – next question.

• elmo.dudd says:

How many tropical fruits could Dolph Lundgren list in 30 seconds without forewarning, assuming he is in a region that strictly uses 24 hour time?

• LionsPhil says:

What is the biggest leaf?

ANSWER ME!

• Milky1985 says:

Actually yes it is in many cases it does, you CANNOT sign away basic consumer rights in this country, wether they can claim you have “accepted” it is a another matter, as in theory you don’t have the full product to accept if you are on the starter edition.

Oh wait trjp is either massive troll/fanboy

Or works for blizzard and is attempting damage control.

I say fanboy.

25. zaprowsdower says:

Compared to this game, you would probably have more ownership over a piece of entertainment by renting a movie through Netflix. Releasing a mediocre game is one thing but constantly slapping your own paying customers in the face is inexcusable. F Blizzard.

26. Anthile says:

Blizzard has gone downhill ever since Rock’n'Roll Racing. What a shame.

27. Stormkiller72 says:

Surely theres something possibly illegal about all this? Something to do with buying a product which isn’t fit for it’s advertised purpose? Essentially, you are buying a demo for the price of a full game, whether it’s digital or not is irrelevant.
    As for the excuse? They have your money, so why should they care?

I’m quite proud of my Starcraft disc coffee-coaster, but will never buy another Blizzard product as long as I live.

• trjp says:

Common Sense is what you need!!

If you ordered a game which needed posting, it might take 3 days to get here – yes??

so……

A digital game taking 3 days to unlock isn’t really going to be ‘illegal’ is it – anymore than a mailed game taking 2 weeks would be…

• Narzhul says:

It sounds more like you buying a hammer because you need to hammer in some nails, but the hardware store gives you a toy hammer, till they can “trust” you.

• fuggles says:

Seriously, just stop. This is not the same as having to wait for postage, that’s ridiculous. Downloading, now, that’s the same as waiting for postage and if it took 3 days to download and that was the problem then yup, right there with you.

Which bit of having the full game, but not being allowed to play past a certain point is it that you are struggling with? Does your post come sections at a time so that this generally is how you do things? You HAVE the product, you just can only play a small part of it, as much as would be in the free demo.

• briktal says:

No you’re buying the game but it takes up to 3 days to arrive.

edit: I suppose they could have avoided this whole mess by not letting you play at all until everything went through.

• Jorum says:

Can’t see it being illegal. They are providing you with advertised service and software, there is just a delay in delivery of final system.
      It is a very very clumsy way of dealing with whatever they think the problem is (people using dodgy cards to farm? a way to stop banned accounts quickly getting back in?) but not illegal.

• Freud says:

You’re not really buying it until they have your money. And as soon as they have your money, you have access to the full game.

28. MordeaniisChaos says:

I don’t find this to be awful, I find the reason behind it, the real reason, to be awful though. Fuck the real money auction house. If not for it, everyone would love this game and other than not enjoying it because of taste, there would be very little int he way of real criticism of the game because all of the criticisms are of things that only exist because of the real money auction house. Just let me buy a copy that doesn’t access that part of the online system so I can play offline without lag when I want to. I don’t give a damn about the real money auction house. Hell, I don’t give a damn about the non-real money auction house. I’ll never use it and it’s just inconveniencing me.

29. The Random One says:

Before the release: HEY HEY HEY MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE GAME NOW EVEN THOUGH YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT OTHER THAN THE MARKETING DRIVEL WE CHURN OUT BECAUSE IT WILL CAUSE YOU PHYSICAL PAIN TO WAIT FOR EVEN A SECOND MORE!

After: Hey you guys can wait three days right? That ain’t much

30. piratmonkey says:

I wish they’d elaborate on why this is necessary beyond, “to combat fraud.” However, 3 days is the max, not the average time it takes to unlock.

Edit: I forgot to say, “I hate Blizzard for they are a cancer on gaming and so is anyone who enjoys their recent games.”

• Jorum says:

my guess would be something like farmers using dodgy cards to get access and then make as much money on AH before account suspended.
      so they are waiting until payment clears before opening it up?

or a way to limit people/farmers being banned just creating a new account and jumping back in straight away.

31. NathanH says:

So previously the only reason to buy a game from the overpriced Blizzard store was that you could play the game immediately instead of waiting for your cheaper version to arrive. Now you can probably get it *faster* by post…

• Creeping Death says:

Actually as far as Diablo 3 goes, the US Blizzard store has been the CHEAPEST place I’ve found to buy the game from thanks to the current dollar to pound sterling conversion rate.

32. Beelzebud says:

This patch basically broke a few of the Witch Doctor’s most useful skills, to the point where I’ve just stopped playing.

You were right, I was wrong. I’ll never give Blizzard money again.

33. mr.ioes says:

This reads so much like any EA news. It’s sad how Blizzard has changed.
    semi-related interesting read: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-21-stock-ticker-why-eas-market-valuation-has-crashed

34. Shiny says:

No doubt these digital purchases are a significant source of fraud and chat spam. I don’t think 3 days is unreasonable, considering that retail and mail order are alternatives.

• HarrietTubgirl says:

I agree! Every developer needs to adopt this new way of combating fraud. Hell, otherwise I might have to spend half an hour going to the store to buy the game for the same exact price. Steam really should take note.

35. Pantzed says:

Thanks to some of my friends playing, I decided to buy the game on Tuesday night. I was initially rather pleased to find that I didn’t even need to download the entire game to join them, I was in game in under 20 minutes and having a great time.

… for about an hour and a half. At that point out of the blue I received a giant: “Upgrade now!” screen, which confused me since I had just paid $60. It made no indication at all that I had the full version of the game.

It took another hour of forum searching and support ticket opening to find out that I had a ’3 day waiting period” to play the damn game I had just spent $60 on. I’m not sure if it even bothered to tell me about this when I was purchasing the game, or not (I of course just clicked through their EULAs).

I’ve now half a mind to contest the credit card charge and tell them to go to hell. I no longer have any desire to do business with their company. I’m not sure the charge can be contested however, as I did willfully agree to their terms.

Enjoy that $60, Blizzard. It’s the last you’ll ever see from me.

• Highstorm says:

Through the furor of weeks past, I remember hearing people being able to get their money back from the game, within 30 days, if you bought online.

A quick search:

rimur:
      “What I did was to log on my battle.net account, went to Support -> Submit a Ticket. Here you have to choose Diablo 3. I typed in ‘I wish to have a refund for Diablo 3′. The key is to keep it short and straight to the point. The customer support will reply you in a few days to ask you to reconfirm you want a refund. Just confirm it and after a few days they’ll refund you.”

• zaprowsdower says:

That’s complete bullshit. Call customer service, they will give you a return. I was on hold for an hour but they processed mine.

• Phantoon says:

You know, in a lot of cases, there isn’t someone busy- they just put you on hold for an hour because it deters 80% of callers. Microsoft did that to me for three when I wanted to cancel Xbox Live.

Also, ROWSDOWER.

36. JonClaw says:

There goes any chance I’ll ever buy D3 or any other Blizzard game for that matter. Fuck ‘em.

37. Metonymy says:

The ghastly truth is that like any other organization that has suddenly become goyim-challenged, its a completely transparent cash-out. After all, that war to kill brown skinned babies has to get funded somehow, and the US government isn’t the only “livestock” they have available.

It’s hard to gauge, but it looks like the playerbase for D3, at least as far as ‘public’ games go, is down over 90% from launch. All of those people could be in private games, of course, but something tells me those are down as well.

The good news is that the company name truly is dead, which means that all of those talented developers can move on to better organizations. As you know, some of the key blizzard talent is already finishing up torchlight 2 and guild wars 2.

I told you all of these things years ago, and I promise you that blizzard employees are still silently leaving to greener fields, even as all of this occurs.

• fuggles says:

Christ, are you saying that Blizzard are funding the war?!

• InternetBatman says:

Blizzard is funding a war… craft. They even artificially manipulate an average but workable story into an unwieldy and terrible one to prolong this war. Think of the orc children, especially the Mag’har, who are brown-skinned. I think that’s what he meant.

Really, if I accused any company of being part of a Zionist conspiracy, it wouldn’t be Blizzard since they used every antisemitic stereotype in unison to design goblins.

• Toberoth says:

I unblocked you just out of interest. And now I remember why you were blocked in the first place. Because you’re insane.

• PodX140 says:

The comments lately HAVE to be a raid by /b, right? There’s no way people can be this… just… this.

Seriously, I’ve seen stupid, I’ve seen narrowminded, I’ve seen downright trolling, but I had never seen insane on RPS.

Sad day :(

• ophite says:

I read this as ‘a secret Jewish cabal is controlling Blizzard to fund wars against Arab countries.’ This cannot really be what I’m reading, right?

• Toberoth says:

No I think that’s basically right. Metonymy openly admitted in another thread to being one of the people who spammed Anita Sarkeesian with abuse.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Those type of threads are always useful for winnowing the chaff. As it were.

• Dervish says:

I like how you say that as if one explains the other.

I’m still rolling my eyes as hard as anyone else at his anti-Semitic conspiracy theory, don’t get me wrong, but that’s a weird kind of connection you’re making.

• Toberoth says:

Well I’m not really saying there’s a direct link between the two, but they both speak equally badly of Metonymy’s character.

[Edit] Or at least his ability to make sensible judgements without resorting to bile.

• Phantoon says:

Please don’t make this about that topic again.

• R10T says:

Unlike Metonymy, I don’t know about Blizzard funding a war part. So for me it’s just secret jewish cabal making a bad Diablo sequel, I guess.

38. woodsey says:

‘frisking the waiting masses.’

Read that as ‘friskiness for the masses’. Too much DayZ today has scrambled my mind.

39. mire says:

Typical reactionary DRM-style bullshit, and very sad to see from Blizzard. It won’t solve the problem (anyone interested in exploiting the game will simply buy 100 licenses at a time and buy more when they run low), and it’s a huge inconvenience to honest players who just want to try the game.

The real red flag here is how truly fucked things must be on their side to even consider instituting something like this, let alone actually going through with it. The RMAH seems like it’s going to go down in history as one of the dumbest ideas a game dev ever had.

40. catmorbid says:

I won’t be saving any insults or bad words with this one, so I plead that the overly sensitive skip this comment:

Any one of you giving money to these assholes are fucking dumb idiots, that’s what you are. No game is worth the ass fucking these idiots deliver to their customers. At least not a repetitive action RPG clickfest piece of fucking garbage. All you do is give these fuckers incentive to rince and repeat the shit they’re doing right now. You’re being FUCKED and if you don’t realize that, I hope Darwin gets you! And yes, I’m a better human being for not even thinking about pir…purchasing this game. So up yours sir, yes sir indeed!

• piratmonkey says:

I bought it and am enjoying the game immensely.

..or both?

• catmorbid says:

Well, frankly, after the damage is done, the most sensible thing would be to at least try and enjoy it a little bit, even though your butt might hurt and all your ethics have gone down the drain and and the sensible world you used to know was just skinned and burned alive. So yes, you say you like it, I say it’s coping mechanism, Blizzard wins and everyone else is a fucking loser.

• piratmonkey says:

Oh right, I forgot that if I enjoy something that someone else hates, I’m coping. Carry on.

• Stackler says:

My philosophy is: screw me once and you can f yourself.

I am NOT willing to take crap from fucking publishers and developers. Ship me an overpriced game that’s the same bullhshit for 60 hours and make it unpossible to play it the first WEEKS because of connection problems because you HAD to implement online-only DRM because of your fucking ingame-cash-shop and I will never, ever buy a game again from you.

I am sick of taking it in the ass by these companies. They take a dump on the customers. If you would treat your customers like that in ANY other industry sector you would get sued and thrown in jail but yeah, we gamers are stupid idiots that take everything.

• piratmonkey says:

That’s great. I’m happy for your decision.

• thestage says:

oh, gamers. Oh, narcissism.

• Dervish says:

Joke’s on you, I just mailed them a check without even asking for a game back.

• catmorbid says:

I don’t know about your universe, but in mine giving charity to greedy fucking assholes is considered at least the epitome if idiocy. Though mine is also full of idiots.

• hemmingjay says:

seriously, what the hell is wrong with you? I would rather deal with every “idiot” on the planet then to be subjected to an elitist judgemental douchebag who only musters his courage on an anonymous forum. Your opinion is no more valid than anyone else’s even if you believe yourself to be superior.

• catmorbid says:

No, not really. My opinions are just as invalid as yours. That’s why they’re called opinions. I just like to get a bit rowdy with them from time to time, call it stress release or what you will. This is the internet, people do that. That’s the freedom around here, I’m not dumb enough to yell at some idiot in real life and get killed for it, for fucks sake. Gotta love anonymity.

• Malk_Content says:

@catmorbid

So your excuse is you want to be arsehole but am afraid to do so in real life, so you come online and be arsehole to people? That doesn’t make you any less of one and neither does admitting your reasons, just makes you a cowardly arrogant arsehole instead.

And yes I would say these sorts of things to people in real life, only if they sound like you. Hell I’ve had the shit kicked out of me a couple of times for it.

• Lycan says:

Sir (or Madam), I respectfully submit that I will stop playing D3 (even in the tightly moderated short bursts that I can enjoy it for at present) the very day that Torchlight 2 is released. Therefore, I beseech you for any news of a release date :P

• catmorbid says:

Sorry, can’t help you. I wish I could, though :( I guess I’ve overreacted here a bit though, since it’s starting to look like constant left-mouse-clicking and obtaining meaningless loot and some even more meaningless experience points since everything levels with you anyway can still be an addiction. And addictions are bad, I know I’ve had plenty. And though I don’t agree with your particular addiction, I can certainly sympathize with it, though I still wish to urge you that should you ever come by a an occasion to burn down and maim the people who made up and are responsible for Blizzard(-activision), for their crimes against quality of video games. I know that’s too much to ask, but I’m asking it anyway, because I’m a dick. :)

41. Eclipse says:

So glad I decided to not buy this game, Blizzard is becoming an asshole of developer at an alarming rate

42. karhazx says:

I’m glad I no longer buy Blizzard/Activision games.

This is unacceptable to me as a consumer. And I gotta tell ya, gamers who swallow this bile will continue to be fed bile from the gaming industry.

I’m amazed by just how irresponsible people are with their money these days, but instead justify being nickle and dimed by the industry.

Glad I didn’t buy D3.

43. gwathdring says:

I really hope other developers are seeing all of this frustration as a bad thing and not as healthy growing pains.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Going this route is going to destroy developers – more likely publishers – who decide to stump up for the infrastructure but without the gaurunteed product.

Heh, why not have MMO scale risk, without the revenue streams!

YAY!

44. piratmonkey says:

Hooray! The “you’re killing gaming by playing/enjoying/buying this game” comments are here! Oh boy!

45. Jimbo says:

Fuck this game. I can no longer find the enthusiasm to criticise Diablo 3 any more eloquently than that. They’ve totally emptied my criticism tank with their bullshit.

• Stellar Duck says:

We should set up support meetings for those of us who’s all ranted out on Diablo 3.

‘Hi. My name is Stellar Duck and I just don’t give a damn any more. Fuck that game. *sigh*’

• R10T says:

“Hello, my name is R10T. At first i thought all these comments on internets are just hate against the game,but.. sigh.. but then I played the game. And then I ranted. I ranted hard and I ranted long.. *cries to hands* I had to quit. And I didn’t even resist long enough to buy fifth account…”

46. Peterkopf says:

72 hours is the time it takes for an international transaction to finalize.

More than likely, goldsellers gain access to the game by “buying” the client and then declining the payment within that period.

I guess the question is whether you want them to continue to operate with impunity, or whether you can wait those 72 hours or less to gain access.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Means fuck all to me either way, I only play the game single-player.

Oh, hang-on…

• Peterkopf says:

Either way you have people complaining. Goldsellers cost quite a lot of people their account information, and obviously people aren’t very good at saying no to them.

Obviously Blizzard are fully responsible for goldsellers being in the game to begin with, but with 7 million under their belts, the people have spoken.

When you have the option between people complaining because they think you’re mean, or people complaining because they’ve given up their own account information, I’d rank the former as the lesser evil. Pun intended.

• Stackler says:

If you are willing to get fucked by a company like blizz although you are a paying customer just because of the fucking gold sellers, then you are a moron and deserve nothing better.

• SanguineAngel says:

In fairness, there was a considerably window of development time for Blizz to consider methods of combating gold farmers during the entire development of the game. All of these hastily added quick fixes have done nothing but SERIOUSLY disrupt the experience of the paying customer – to such a degree that I would consider the company worse offenders than Ubi at this point in time.

47. frightlever says:

So purchasers not allowed full access to game until their payment has cleared? Well worth an article.

I find the server load idea endearing as the game is pretty dead right now. Someone on the D3 forum posted the server stats from X-fire – which is only representative of a subset of accounts, but fairly indicative of the drop in interest I’d say.

48. D3xter says:

By the way, a great article on “The Atlantic” worth reading and Discussing regarding Diablo 3 titled “Gamers Need a Bill of Rights – Diablo III shows why”: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/06/gamers-need-a-bill-of-rights/258479/

Blizzard might also soon have to fight the feds too if this is anything to go by and this makes me insanely happy xD http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5835835567

• Reefpirate says:

I don’t see how Blizzard is violating anyone’s rights. What is the crime?

• Torticoli says:

Selling a product to someone, then offering them only a (very) limited version of the product for 3 days is not a crime ?

• Milky1985 says:

In this case it could be classed as negligence, he sold an item, the transation failed now he no longer has the money OR the item due to an error in the processing.

And before anyone says “its just a virtual item”, there are many cases out there of people “stealing” virutal items and being procesecuted because its still classed as a persons property, admittidly most o htem have gone under hacking charges but the precendence is there.

Also ironically this is the sort of thing the AH was meant to protect people from, the evil scammers who take items and don’t give money :p

49. sharkh20 says:

I like that the metacritic user score was slowly going up, now after yesterday it is slowly going back down.

50. Frantics says:

I DONT CARE BLIZZARD GOOD SHIT BLIZZARD THE BEST JOINT $MOKE 420 YEEES I DO SIR YES I DO WELL NOT TODAY NO MONEY I SPENT IT ALL ON WEED AND CRACK WELL NOT THIS MONTH SIIR NOT CRACK ITS NOT CRACK ANYWAY VERY GENTLE MILD AND NATURAL COMES FROM NATURE ALL LIES YES IT IS IT IS GOOD STUFF IT IS GOOD IT IS GOOD YES THE CRACK SIR. GOOD HERB IS SMOKE SMOKE DAT

BIZZARD JUST MAKE GOODASS SHIT PLAIN AND SIMPLE THEY DOING CRAZY SHIT WITH THESE ONLINE THINGS AND UI PURE QUALITY COME GET SOME [SIZE=BIGGER]AND YEE I KNOW YOU HEAR LISTEN TO ME THEY JUST GOOD SHIT[/SIZE] [SIZE=BIG]DO YOU SEE HOW THEY BLOW APART MISTER MAN YES I DO FRANTICS YES I DO GOOD GOOD[/size]

Comment on this story