Magna Mundi Cancelled Due To Lack Of Progress, Trust

By Adam Smith on June 21st, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

Magna Mundi started as a mod, began the transition to commercial game and has now stopped somewhat short of that goal. Aiming to harness the complexity and scope of the Europa Universalis 3 mod into a glorious grand strategy game that would be as much about the internal wranglings of leadership as expansion, whether of the smallest state or the mightiest empire, Magna Mundi was certainly ambitious and Paradox’ announcement of the cancellation suggests progress has not matched the lofty targets.

“We have seen this project drag on and the code we have gotten has not shown significant improvement for many months. Some old and known problems persists and new ones appear with each delivery.”

There’s more from Paradox and, stories having at least two sides, the Magna Mundi team have responded.

Mattias Lilja of Paradox, who was acting as executive producer for Magna Mundi, followed up the statement about progress, above, by describing two other factors in the decision:

Lack of trust; the leadership of [Magna Mundi developers] Universo Virtual has given a sunshine version of the project to Paradox and reacted with irritation and anger when we have pointed out obvious problems with the deliveries. It has come to a point where they claim the project is done, and the game is ready for release – despite the many critical issues found and reported on our end.

Internal strife within the MM team; we have gotten information from members within the MM team desperate to save the project whom report to us that the project lacks active leadership. Key personnel in the project see what Paradox sees but instead gets silenced by the UV leadership.

All in all, these are not circumstances under which we can work with a team and it will now stop. At this point we have no more news than the above.

Yikes. It’s a fairly damning picture and I’m sure at least one wag will be compelled to point out that Paradox haven’t always deserved the best reputation for ironing out issues before or even after release. If there’s a silver lining to here though, perhaps it’s that this strict policy, following the rapid patching and overall stability of Crusader Kings II, heralds a more robust and stringent approach to quality control.

Silver lining or not it’s a massive cloud, heavy with the potential for all sorts of stormy weather. The first dark speckling and obscuring of the light comes with a response from Universo Virtual; a response that promises a response.

Greetings Magna Mundi fans,

I am just writing this post to let you know that Universo Virtual and myself will answer in the proper legal forum to the weird “cancellation” of the game. I’d also like to make it known the “cancellation” issue is just a detail on everything that’s going to be settled there.

In the following days Universo Virtual legal team will make a public statement about this issue.

Carlos Gustavo Benavente

I’ll keep an eye out for that public statement and hope that some amicability can be salvaged, although it’s not looking good. The cancellation is a shame in itself as the mod was a work of incredible scope. Europa Universalis 3 is a rather portly fellow even for a grand strategy game, taking in a huge swathe of history and all the assorted nations and territories that sought to spread their flags across the globe throughout it.

The Magna Mundi mod saw the world Paradox had crafted and thought to itself, “not big enough, not big enough by half”. Then it added so much complexity to the game that dedicated students of virtual maps, like me, sunk more hours into the modded version than the base game. Creating an entire game was always going to be a different challenge but the mod did create reason to believe great things might be created.

There is a possibility that the project might continue, given the wording of the Paradox statement: “It will not see the light of day under the current set up.” Time shall tell.

, , .

1. MeestaNob says:

Paradox used to be the Hyundai of gaming, didn’t they? (ie once makers of slightly shoddy products, but now generally pretty solid).

Makes me wonder what state this game was in that they’re pulling the pin entirely and accepted that the money invested is gone for good…

• briktal says:

Yeah they got a lot more heat about it starting around HoI3, reaching it’s peak with the disaster known as Sword of the Stars 2 (and some 22 Meta Critic rating free to play game they published that I can’t recall ever hearing anything about before this story).

• caddyB says:

I’m willing to believe Paradox on this matter, simply because deep; detailed grand strategy games are their “thing” and they aren’t shy about releasing things in a buggy state until the first expansion. If there is one big publisher that knows about that genre, that would probably be Paradox.

• DuddBudda says:

i’d wager their experiences with SotSII influenced this decision somewhat

• Makaze says:

I should hope so. I’ve bought a lot of Paradox games over the years but that steaming pile was the last straw for me. It still to this day doesn’t even have all of the promised release features. Thanks to it, and a few other less egregious cases, I like many others have now developed a wait and see attitude about Paradox releases. Whereas I used to preorder or pick them up straight away now they’re pretty much relegated to Steam sales after I can confirm they’re stable. Though things like this give me hope that they’re listening and making a positive effort to fix things. Keep it up and you’ll probably get more money from me.

Kerberos on the other hand being just about the smuggest assholes on the planet about the whole thing when they should still be apologizing profusely about their failure to deliver means I’ll never buy another game from them.

• Maltose says:

To be fair, CKII has been 99% playable from day 1. The only major day 1 bug I experienced was a missing flag texture bug that was pretty easily fixed without a patch.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Paradox are still the Hyundai of gaming. They’ve managed to make a few semisolid games lately, but they’ve got an army of rabid assault-fanboys to defend every other shitty game they make.

• Joshua Northey says:

I love Paradox and have been an occasionally quite active member of their forums and modder since 2001? They indeed have some real issues with quality control, or more specifically have dreams bigger than their resources can accomplish. Then rather than compromise or reduce the scope/scale they release some badly broken products. It has hurt their revenues because it has trained even loyal people like me who 5 years ago bought whatever they did without second thought to wait and see. Now I avoid most of the expansions/DLC unless the reviews are really superlative, and try to get the games after they have gone on sale instead of release day. EU3, Sengoku, and CK2 were pretty stable, but really that is 3 functional games on on release day out of the last 10-15.

And while they weren’t the developer on SotS2, that was just an atrocity. Anyway I think this is a good sign that they are learning their lessons. Given the released statements I am not surprised MM collapsed, too much experience with mods “run” by petty dictators who don’t want to do any work and just want to give orders. Hording all the power and decision making for themselves without having the ability to exercise it.

Here is hoping this all comes to some positive resolution, but I highly doubt it.

• DigitalEccentric says:

It’s hurt their reputation, not their revenues. Paradox is one of the fastest growing PC companies out there at the moment. They’re very open about their financials so you can see for yourself – they’re very well for themselves (although Magicka played a big part in that). The internal titles (and any spin-ofss etc…) make up a very small percentage of their income now, so I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky they choose to continue making those kind of games.

But yes, QA has always been a bit of an issue with them, but the Swords of the Stars II/Magicka combo was the last straw. You’ll see them being a lot more tougher now (hence announcements like this) plus they’re going to try and focus a lot more on QA (hence CK2 being in such a good state on release).

Third parties are always harder to keep on top off, obviously, but that’s where the toughness comes in.

• killias2 says:

Could we get a link? I get the sense that their PDS titles are still their bread-and-butter. CK2 sold like hotcakes (for a Paradox title), and I haven’t had any real sense that there is any unhappiness with PDS. If anything, it seems like PDS games are selling better and getting more attention now than they ever did back in the day. I mean.. how much more popular is CK2 than CK1? It feels like there is a considerable margin.

• DigitalEccentric says:

I’ll see what I can find. When I say “open” – at their annual showcase they always update the media and other partners as to how they’ve been doing, and if you interview them specifically about it they’ll tell you this stuff, but there isn’t a website as far as I know with all this information just sitting there.

But I covered some of that information at this year’s annual showcase, and spoke to Frederik about some of it, so there may be information within interviews etc…

EDIT: Here’s a news peice about Magicka sales – I don’t think CK2 sold as well: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/19/magicka-summons-1-3-million-in-sales-new-expansion-in-the-works/

Also- first couple of paragraphs of this interview show the general sales figures: http://www.strategyinformer.com/editorials/16240/paradox-convention-2012

I can’t for the life of me find the quote about Internal titles not being their primary revenue source anymore, but I’m pretty sure Fredrick told me that – I asked him specificalyl about it back in January.

• killias2 says:

Interesting. One thing I’ll say is that, while CK2 almost certainly sold less than Magicka, it’s also a rather more expensive product. Everything I’ve seen from Paradox seems to indicate that CK2 did quite well, and that, moving forward, it is one of their primary products. However, you could certainly still be right, that internally developed studios make up a small portion of their profits. It’s also possible that published titles make up a big chunk of total revenue, but that, because of revenue-sharing arrangements, internals still make up a big chunk of actual profit. I’ll see if I can find anything that confirms one way or the other.

Edit: If you’re right, though, I wonder if Paradox would spin off PDS into its own entity, sort of like what they did with GamersGate. Still, I have the feeling that PDS is rather dependable for profit (even if it doesn’t bring it pouring in), and that there are a lot of synergies in terms of staff. I doubt PDS is really separate enough from the rest of the infrastructure to be effectively spun off.

• DigitalEccentric says:

It’s primary for the moment – but I think they’ve already said they’re putting their weight behind War of the Roses. It’s the Paradox game that’s had the most money spent on it, the most resources etc… and I think that’s going to be the new flagship title of 2012 for them – and it’s a third party title.

Plus, the formal seperation between Paradox Interactive and the internal to me suggests the company is trying to adapt to its new position as a publisher as opposed to a developer, and the smaller role PDS has within the picture as a whole. But yeah, in the absence of hard facts (apologies for that) I guess It’s open.

• Archonsod says:

Given Paradox own Gamersgate I wouldn’t be surprised if that was their main source of profit these days.

• Vinraith says:

Paradox hasn’t owned Gamersgate for years.

• DigitalEccentric says:

Yeah, GamersGate is officially a seperate company, and has been for ages. Up until just recently ( I think ) the two have share the same office space, but for all intensive purposes they haven’t been formally linked for a while, which is highlighted by the fact that several Paradox titles have been tied to Steam.

The internal studio has also formally seperated now to form Paradox Development Studios, although I think there’s still more of a link there. It’s just to show that Paradox is becoming a publisher in its own right now, not just a self-publishing developer.

• Torgen says:

“intents and purposes”

• DigitalEccentric says:

Yeah, sorry – I’m always doing that. It’s something about that phrase… makes me write it wrong every time.

• Caleb367 says:

And a bunch of rabid foam-at-the-mouth haters who like to depict them as evil incarnate. For some reason.

• SkittleDiddler says:

There was no foam-at-the-mouth or “evil incarnate” intoning when I wrote that. Paradox have a long history of releasing buggy unfinished games. They also have a history of putting the least amount of effort into fixing and updating those games.

Go to any forum that has a Paradox section and you’ll see the overwhelming amount of blind support the company gets from some gamers. They deny there are issues with Magicka or Europa Universalis: Rome or SotS2 or Warlock or whatever else.

That pisspot may be silver-engraved on the outside, but on the inside it’s still filled with piss.

Hell, Magicka still has game-breaking issues. How long has that game been out? How many of the DLC packs that Paradox released for the game have actually fixed those game-breaking issues?

• DuddBudda says:

I played Warband for a year (and in the game) before I discovered that it’s impossible to defeat nations during a civil war – they lose their holdings but the lords keep running around – I chased them for two years before a friend explained that they’re bugged

so yeah, there’s not many games I’ve found more compelling than warband, but it’s unplayable years after release? fuck that

• Malarious says:

It’s important to distance Paradox as a publisher and Paradox as a developer; games developed by Paradox are often released with bugs, but the post-release support is simply crazy. Rome just had a beta patch released, for instance — ridiculous! It was sorely needed, but no one saw it coming.
            Their flagship title, EU3, is still being patched.

PDS is simply the best PC developer active today, and one of the only developers that takes advantage of the fact that they develop exclusively for PC.

• Jae Armstrong says:

Magnadrones gonna magnadrone.

Some of the tinfoilhattery and logical contortions people are engaging in on the forums are staggering. And a little scary, to tell the truth. O_O

• killias2 says:

I enjoy pretty much all of their core releases. The only real exceptions are Rome and CK1, both of which were sort of rushed and, despite an expansion, never really entirely finished. The fact that CK2 is such a paragon of completeness, stability, and polish says oodles about how far they’ve come in the last couple years.

Sure, their published releases are all over the place, but they’re still in the early days of being a publisher. It wasn’t that long ago that Paradox didn’t even publisher its own games (in the U.S. at least, Strategy First published a lot of their stuff), and they’re still a rather small, tight outfit. Paradox is still very much a small-to-mid-tier publisher, with a size probably closer to Larian Studios (of Divinity/Dragon Commander fame) than the major publishing houses.

Based on what I know about MM, this release would’ve been closer to SotS2 than any of the recent core/PDS releases. Personally, I’m happy they’ve decided to take the high road here, although I do hope to see MM released in some state. I doubt it would happen, but I wouldn’t mind an open beta release. It’d be awesome if PDS decided to find some way to finish and ship it out (basically what they did with CK1…), but I really don’t see that happening. MM is somewhat distant from PDS’s core game values, and I think they’d have to recode and remake considerable parts of the game to bring it up to recent PDS standards.

All in all, this just reinforces my view of Paradox: a solid, passionate studio, which is still small enough to care as a developer but inexperienced enough to screw up as a publisher. This is probably the last nail in the pseudo-fan-developed-PDS-spin-off series, which is both sad and totally obvious.

• Torgen says:

I think the fact that CK 1 was such a hopeless broken mess that Paradox had to actually take it away from the developers and try to turn it into something remotely functional themselves to try to recoup the money they’d dumped into (and then take the blame for the condition of the game) influenced the decision here of “not again.”

They’re larger now than during the CK1 fiasco, but still in no position to continue to pour money down a pit with no prospect of a return. It sounds like the MM team got full of themselves, and started back-talking their financier while denying problems with the code. That’s a guaranteed trip to the curb, no matter what industry you’re in.

• Jay says:

They’ve released some fairly comprehensively broken and buggy stuff in their time, yeah, but never been afraid to put the hours in to get things into an acceptable state (whether this is an acceptable way of doing business is a matter for another time). If they’re not only admitting serious issues, but serious issues to the point of rendering the project a total loss, I think things might be even more messed up than we imagine.

The bizarre, smug tone and immediate recourse to legal threats from the developer isn’t doing his case any favours either.

• DigitalEccentric says:

I’ve met Carlos a couple of times. He’s a nice guy but seemed very much the type of person who wanted to remain in control, and always thought very highly of what he was working on. Perhaps he let it cloud his judgement.

• Joshua Northey says:

So much experience on mods with these project “leads” who try to horde power and decision making, and want to give all the orders, but do little of the work. It never ends well.

• DigitalEccentric says:

I can’t comment as to how much/little work Carlos actually did himself. The comments from Matti relating to ‘internal strife’ at Universal Virtuo would suggest that the leadership hadn’t been pulling their weight though.

It’s a shame – I hope Paradox don’t shy away from these kinds of projects in the future – from what I undersand similar projects for the Hearts of Iron series (and even games like Mount & Blade – Napoleonic Warfare) have done alright. Making Mods into games is a good thing to do.

• neonordnance says:

It’s not a bad analogy. Just like Hyundai, their current games lack flash, but make up for it in substance. They are also willing to innovate.

EA are ford. Got overstreched, and a bad rep, but have made some good choices in the past couple years and are back on track.

Activision are GM. Fuck Activision.

• jezcentral says:

You can have any game you like, as long as it’s an FPS. :)

• Gaytard Fondue says:

If the predictions are right, Hyundai will be Nr.1 in automobiles in 10 years. I hope that doesn’t happen to Paradox.

2. Roshin says:

“I am not going to allow that my name and my credibility are to be placed in jeopardy as they have been for some time now. I intend to come out of this with a big smile in my face and my name clean.”

Also, I have a very nice used car to sell you.

• slerbal says:

I thought the same thing… felt a bit “Swiss Toni” to me :)

3. mike2R says:

Very sad about this. I must have spent hundreds of hours on the mod.

I do appreciate the silver lining – Paradox welcome conversion to the idea of games being playable in their release state – but seeing something I’ve been anticipating for so long fail is a real shame.

4. DigitalEccentric says:

After Swords of the Stars 2, this isn’t all that surprising. Magna Mundi was supposed to be out last year, and it just kept getting pushed back, and pushed back… at the last Paradox showcase they didn’t even bother having it there, as I was told they wanted to keep the dev team working, so I could tell there were issues. Saying that, I didn’t expect it to be out-right cancelled, but there you go.

Shame to see Paradox having to be the ‘bad-guys’ more and more, but if they didn’t they’d just be taken for rides like they have done in the past, and QA is something they’re really working on this year.

• nimzy says:

I feel bad for Paradox. They take some crazy risks on the belief that they will make good games. Just look at Salem, for example. Who would have approved something like that but Paradox?

I just hope that they learn from this experience and move on, and that it doesn’t keep them from supporting other projects like this in the future.

• DigitalEccentric says:

Paradox are pretty open and friendly people – I’d hazard to say they’re open to most ideas, more than any other publisher.

However, I think it’s more of a question of whether these similar projects can keep up with Paradox’s new stricter practices, as opposed to Paradox themselves not being as open about it. If you can keep up and make a good product, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Saying that, I heard recently that For the Glory, a MM-style product for another internal Paradox title, didn’t sell that well. At some point Paradox has to at least break even when they invest in stuff like this, so who knows really.

• Chandos says:

It was pretty awesome of them to pick up Salem, but I suspect they might run into similar problems with Seatribe at some point. I’ve played the beta and had the impression that developers have not quite made the jump to thinking at Paradox’s scale of business. i.e. they are still all too happy to play social darwinism, without regard for a broad appeal.

I guess it is a calculated risk on their part when they bring small studios on board after modest successes, hoping they’ll mature up in time to keep pace with the overall Paradox brand. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

5. Zwebbie says:

I wonder – perhaps Paradox’s dev studio will take over, as they have before (CK1, at least, I believe). That could, in theory, be a foul practice; have a studio make 90% of a game, sack it, finish the last 10% and take all the royalties for yourself. I highly doubt this is the case, since MM’s development, apparently, has already cost as much as CKII’s, so complete in-house development would’ve have been cheaper and would’ve had better results. But I still wonder where the law stands on this.

• gwathdring says:

Hmm. I think the main force preventing that from happening is that it would usually be more expensive rather than less. Other than incidental contracts and the threat of a civil suit, I can think of any specific legal protocols preventing that kind of thing in the U.S., at least. I haven’t studied very much business law, though, outside of patent and copyright.

6. TCM says:

This was already going to be in a precarious financial position — EU is a niche game to start, and Magna Mundi carves out an even deeper niche. There’s only so much money you can sink into a project and hope for it to be profitable, and I applaud paradox for making the realistic decision to cut their losses.

Am I disappointed? Yeah, but I have to take a realistic approach — this wasn’t a mod, where everyone on the project was doing it in their spare time, and volunteer work. This was a game to be professionally released, with salaries, and budgets, and timetables. The release has already slipped way past what was promised, and if Paradox believed that things were continuing down the same road, it was the only sensible decision.

The only people who can be angry about this are people who have let their rose colored glasses obscure their view of the situation — it doesn’t matter how grand and epic the scope of the game is if it’s so bugged up the bunghole that it just barely holds together.

• Jae Armstrong says:

And Pdox has reported that they’ve sunk as much money into MM as they did into CK2. Ouch!

Though that does appear to be the business model UV were running on here. :/

7. Jae Armstrong says:

I’ve been following MM since the beginning, and to be honest there’re few surprises here. Ubik… has always had something of an ego… and a tendancy to take criticism poorly. The mod, while generally engaging, had problems with bloat, overdesign and… questionable… design goals (how many piracy systems?). The standalone project had an iffy smell from the first dev diary on, and it’s been showing clear signs of being a trainwreck in the making for a good year now. I wasn’t, admittedly, expecting it to get out and out cancelled, but I wasn’t expecting a quality product either.

Ubik’s decision to press suit is another surpirse- though given the fuhrerbunker mentality UV’s descended into recently, perhaps it shouldn’t be. I cannot imagine what he’s thinking to accomplish with this.

• TCM says:

It’s the Duke Nukem Forever problem.

Presumably, Paradox didn’t want to have to deal with the strategy game equivalent.

• Herbert_West says:

On some level, I’m very glad for this high-profile fail.

MM, even as a mod, was a system that wanted to do things that the engine could not do. MM as a game would have been many times that, with even more ideas bloated into it, and making the game a very annoying railroaded experience.

If the Gods be good, then other such mod ideas will now learn from this mistake. It is no small wonder that the most successful mod-turned-game is Darkest Hour, which is essentially a high-polish HOI2.

If you want to make money of your mod: make it appeal to a broad audience. MM did the exact opposite, and as said, Ubik alienated a lot of people by esentially shutting his ears and going lalalalala when it was pointed out to him that he in effect breaks the game to alter it to his vision.

8. Arkh says:

By the name of the producer and the studio, I’d say the guys are Brazilians. If that’s the case, as a Brazilian, I’m 100% sure Paradox is right and they are trying to give a flawed product and they are lazy bastards.

• Jae Armstrong says:

Primarily Portuguese, though I believe the team was from all over the globe.

• Arkh says:

I got the impression the guy was Brazilian. Some (most) Brazilians have the bad habit of, when someone points out what they are doing is wrong, they get pissed and hostile towards you.

• Sheng-ji says:

Personally, I’ve found that to be a trait not tied in any way to race or nationality. Most people the world over get angry and hostile when someone tells them that what they are doing is wrong. Equally, I’ve discovered that most of humanity is quite lazy.

Except “Insert Your Race AND/OR nationality Here” of course…. “Your Race AND/OR nationality” people are hard working, honest folk who excel in their positive work ethics and willingness to accept criticism.

• caddyB says:

You’d think everyone would hate their own race.. if they spend most of their life around them, at least. I mean, those are the people who lie to you, steal, murder and do stuff that makes you question the worth of humanity.

• Francois Xavier says:

Except that’s too painful to think about especially since you have no choice in the matter, far easier to tar everyone else and feel smug in disdain for others ‘weakness.’

9. Carra says:

Bah, I was looking forward to Magna Mundi.

10. skooma says:

Good on them. No sense throwing good money after bad when the “studio” isn’t being very professional.

11. pendergraft says:

Paradox has also recently returned Paradox France (AGEOD) back to the wild and has completely taken over development of Napoleon’s Campaign II. That split is a little more amicable than this one though.

• DigitalEccentric says:

Very strange… not sure what the deal is there. I did find it odd that that NCII was being done on the Clausewitz engine… guess AGEOD aren’t getting on with it? It’s a shame, because I always struggled to get on with their turn-based stuff, was hoping they had turned over a new leaf, but never mind.

Looks like the two companies are still going to be fairly closely linked, they’re just going back to the relationship they had before the acquisition, and back to TBS.

• wodin says:

Funny enough I’m opposite, not sure continuous time belongs in grand start games. Much prefer turn based.

Really looking forward to Ageods Rome game.

12. thebigJ_A says:

I used to occasionally pop into the forums to check on MM, as it seemed quite interesting to me, a lover of Paradox’s strategy games.

After reading many of the dev diaries, I noticed how very… ambitious the game seemed, and made a post voicing a concern I had.

There were more and more systems and mechanics being put into place, and a primary problem I had with some of the earlier Pdox games was the inability of the AI to cope. Now, they’ve since got much better at this, but it seemed like MM might be pushing too hard.

Without making that specific implication, I merely wondered aloud whether the AI could handle all the systems being implemented on an older engine. I was subjected to a cynical response, growing into an out-and-out tirade as the conversation continued, by the developer (Ubik? something like that). Someone who wasn’t a developer, a mere player, didn’t understand, he said. Not only would the AI be unable to handle these systems, he said, it didn’t matter. So long as the player had enough buttons to push, we wouldn’t mind.

Not only the fact that he didn’t care to make an AI that could convicingly play the game without resorting to overt cheating (I’m aware AI needs to cheat at times, just so long as it’s relatively undetectable I’m fine with it), but the reaction to what wasn’t even criticism, but a query, the way he treated a prospective buyer trying to educate himself on the title, convinced me never to purchase MM, under any circumstance.

I do feel bad for those who had to work with him, whose hard work will likely never see the light of day. It honestly did greatly intrigue me, once upon a time.

13. wodin says:

My biggest bug bear with Paradox is they bought the rights for ASL and have done NOTHING with them for a few years now.

If you buy the rights to ASL then you make PC ASL (oh and not some rts or other form of). Obviously spruce the pretties up abit and even give us individual men in a squad, but keep all the same mechanics. Simple.