Next For Grimrock: Map Editor, Some Form Of Expansion

By Nathan Grayson on June 21st, 2012 at 1:00 pm.

If only there was a word that could adequately sum up how this makes me feel while also describing what I am!

In our never-ending quest to be a one-stop shop for dads of John Walker the world over, we are utterly dedicated to fetching whatever news-flavored scraps may fall from Almost Human’s table. Sometimes, it gets a bit weird – like when I was pretty sure mashed potatoes were news. Well, sure enough to take them, anyway. This time, though, I think I’ve come across a bit more of a sure bet. See, Legend of Grimrock will be getting some things in the future. New things, even!

Almost Human outlined the tough-as-nails, filled-with-snails dungeon crawler’s immediate future in a blog post:

“First things first! The editor is still work in progress and it is starting to shape up well. We are almost in alpha stage now which means that we are just a few features short of being able to build Grimrock level dungeons with it. Please note that alpha is going to be an internal milestone for us and we are not going to do public testing on it, so no need to send applications for testing at this point, thank you!”

“What else is happening? Since the editor is mostly occupying my time, Olli, Juho and Antti have had time to do some preproduction for a new Grimrock related project. As explained above it’s still undecided what this project is going to be, but some parameters are certain: we need more monsters and new environments, so that’s what the guys have been up to. We already have a new themed wallset and two fearsome monsters in the pipeline. Personally I can’t wait to get my hands dirty coding special features for the new assets and fighting those new beasts! It’s going to be awesome!”

Which is refreshingly encouraging level of enthusiasm – especially from a team who was, before a brief break, “a bit exhausted with the whole concept of grid-based games after working so intensely for a year.” Now, though, Almost Human sounds refreshed and recharged, which will hopefully lead to all manner of grotesque monsters, horrific traps, and very nearly abusive puzzles. Now if only I could devise a way to describe it that doesn’t make me sound like a crazy person when I follow that up with “And it’s really fun!”

__________________

« | »

, .

1. serioussgtstu says:

This gives me great hope that LoG will always have a reason for me to come back to it. I really hope Steam will consider making it a part of their workshop.

• JD Ogre says:

Yep. If custom levels can be managed through the Workshop, then I’ll definitely buy Grimrock (the fact that it’s 15 fixed levels is the main reason I haven’t bought it yet). And any expansion, of course.

• zeroskill says:

Hope they will get on the workshop too. More Grimrock for everybody.

• Terr says:

But what about all the people who bought the game on GOG? I doubt they’ll use the Workshop, because it means that half the people who bought the game are getting an inferior product.

• Xocrates says:

Why would it be that a mod available in the workshop wouldn’t be available somewhere else?

• JD Ogre says:

It wouldn’t, at least not if the devs do it right. Dungeons of Dredmor, for instance, still allows you to install non-Workshop mods. Workshop’s just a convenience so people don’t need to trawl through forums and random download sites. (wish more games could/would use it…)

• Vinraith says:

I’d like to think the devs have more sense than to tie a DRM-free game to a Steam-only service.

• Delusibeta says:

Didn’t stop Dungeons of Dredmor.

• Bonedwarf says:

Can we get past this whole DRM thing please? I mean for starters Steam CAN be used as just a download service. Frozen Synapse for example will run outside Steam. As will Crusader Kings 2, just to name two games.

Secondly, yes, it CAN be (but isn’t always) DRM, but it also has many other uses. My kids use their account to stay in touch with a friend who is moving away for example.

I’m tired of seeing Steam beaten to death with the DRM stick when it’s far beyond just being that.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

You certainly can, but why insist on everybody else doing so? As long as Steam contains DRM, it remains relevant in many Steam-related discussions.

Feel free to ignore any such comments in the future, though.

-edit- On a more personal note: I prefer not to buy games on Steam exactly because of the DRM. The social functions, discounts and such are nice and all but not worth depending on the whims of Valve as to whether you’re able to play games you have purchased a copy of.

• wererogue says:

I think the sentiment meant was: games can still remain DRM-free while using Steam services (even when distributed through Steam), so fears of ValveDRM infecting Grimrock may be premature.

2. obie191970 says:

Still need to get this game. Let me get through the Secret World beta this weekend.

3. lowprices says:

I glanced at the first paragraph and thought we were getting more writing from the Elder Walker. Now I’m just disappointed. This does remind me, however, that I think I bought this in one of those crazy Steam sales EA doesn’t do. I should play it.

Now all I need to do is include a pun and a dig at Ubisoft and I’ll have gotten RPS comment bingo for somebody.

4. Harlander says:

I must say how much I enjoyed “tough as nails, filled with snails”.

Now I just need to figure out what group could possibly have that as a motto.

5. Ic4ruz says:

Big dissapointment, this game was. I don’t know if it is because I have not been gaming’ for 15 years or something else but this game does nothing for me.

Feels a bit like alot of people just put on those nostalgia goggles and praised it like there was no tomorrow.

• Xocrates says:

As someone who had never played this kind of games when I was younger, I enjoyed it.

That said, it had issues, in particular I found it dragged quite a bit and needed more visual variety past the halfway point.

• Chibithor says:

I loved it and had never played a game like Grimrock before.

• thebigJ_A says:

Yeah, because people who like things I don’t obviously aren’t thinking clearly! /sarcasm

Just, just stop.

6. slive cinclair says:

Best game this year..and best game for many years..nostalgia goggles or not..you actually had to think for a change!
    Can’t wait for more.