Altitude0 Is About Planes, And Not Cows

By John Walker on June 22nd, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Get out, cow!

If you’ve got a really decent looking indie arcade flight game, a great way not to promote it would be to, say, have the first have of your trailer feature a cartoon cow pratting around for no damn reason. That would be an especially strange idea when your game is about flying small aircraft between slalom poles in a gorgeous engine, because that’s what you’d want to show up from so people got excited. Not a poorly rendered cow making stupid noises for 40 seconds. That’s a useful tip for any indies out there planning such a thing. Including Gugila, creators of the genuinely impressive looking Altitude0.

Seriously, just skip to 40 seconds. You’ll like the game a lot more.

Gugila are a Slovenian group of indies, whose rural surroundings apparently inspired the video. The game, as the name might suggest, is about flying really close to the ground, which is great, because that’s all I ever try to do in flight sims anyway. (Imagine my disappointment when I played HAWX, and discovered the ground was a lie.) It’s focused on competitive online play, and they promise a demo is coming very soon. And I’m looking forward to that, because since the disappearance of Attack On Pearl Harbor I’ve been craving a new arcadey plane time.

, , , .

1. roryok says:

Cows don’t drink milk. Everything else makes sense though.

• Keymonk says:

Maybe it’s like a sperm bank for cows?

• Heliocentric says:

There are some calves in the lobby waiting to speak to you about misrepresentation.

• roryok says:

Ahem. Fully grown cows don’t drink milk.

• SiHy_ says:

I’ve never understood why people say cows don’t drink milk. Why do they think cows produce milk in the first place? It isn’t so we have something to put on our breakfast cereal, it’s to feed calves (i.e. baby cows).

• roryok says:

lighten up

• Kapouille says:

You get it wrong. Milk is to put in cereal bowls, and calves are to put in Weiner Schnitzel.

• RvLeshrac says:

Cows don’t drink milk.

Bulls don’t drink milk.

Calves drink milk.

I mean, honestly, you wouldn’t say that “Men and Women nurse at their mother’s breast,” so why claim Cows and Bulls do the same?

• Phasma Felis says:

I’ve never understood why people say cows don’t drink milk

…Is that something you hear people say often?

2. Mr. Mister says:

Who needs a plane when you can have a flying car?

3. Moni says:

That grass and flower rendering is very pretty though.

• innociv says:

My heart literally skipped a few beats.

I played the first Altitude a lot. It was like the Counter Strike of cute side scrolling plane games. Really good competitive play in it. Really good replay value for something so simple.

So, I know the first game these two made. I know that it’s just two guys. Two guys and they make something this beautiful?

But, I still want to shoot things, not just fly through hoops, even though the whole nap-of-the-earth speed looks cool.
      I’m also not really into the on-rails race-shooter thing like Mario is.

• LTK says:

I’m pretty sure Altitude and Altitude0 have nothing to do with each other.

• innociv says:

I just looked into it more and realized this too.

Now I’m disappointed.

The plane styles looked really similar.

4. FloorBelow says:

That is the stupidest trailer I’ve ever seen. Looks like a fun game, though.

5. caddyB says:

I was expecting dubstep.

I’m happy now. The game also looks fun.

6. DK says:

It seems wierd to call your game about Aircraft Altitude0 when there already is a game about aircraft called Altitude.

7. jkz says:

After years of cow simulators I was hoping that this would be the enjoyable arcade cow game of my dreams, only to be disappointed at another games about planes or something.

8. MistyMike says:

Now that’s just Plane Crazy.

9. Dare_Wreck says:

Can they get away with that name?? I can’t imagine that Nimbly Games, creator of the indie plane game Altitude is happy.

• RvLeshrac says:

This calls for a lawsuit. It isn’t like the “Elder Scrolls” vs “Scrolls” thing, this is like naming your arcade-style racing game “NeedSpeed.”

10. subactuality says:

Was that cow humming Goatye?

11. TrueBrit says:

This game looks excellent! The music in the trailer worked well too, but maybe the animated cow was a moo-stake!

• Roshin says:

I’m not an expert, but I don’t think that’s how cows walk around. The music was just a seconds-long bit repeated over and over.

12. jon_hill987 says:

If that is SkyDrift without the arcade style controls count me in.

• Dreforian says:

That’s the opposite of what I was thinking, although I’m not sure what other type of controls they’d use (from lack of experience). I loved Skydrift like I loved Diddy Kong Racing on my old N64. This looks like Skydrift’s racing without the power-ups, boosting and explosions. Maybe the cow will explode after it gets back to humming Gotye in the next video.

• jon_hill987 says:

Don’t get me wrong, SkyDrift is brilliant fun, I just think it would be improved if it had the option for traditional aircraft controls.

13. Deimoss says:

Speaking of “arcadey plane time”, it would be wise to check out SkyDrift:

14. cassus says:

When I see games like this I start wondering why we still buy AAA titles at 50€ a pop. the GiantBomb guys keep talking about how the best games consistently turn out to be downloadable titles, and by that they mostly refer to indie titles. Bastion, Fez, Journey and so forth. Just amazing fricken games made by tiny teams in an apartment somewhere. I’ve been saying this for a while, but only recently have I actually truly believed it: Big publishers would do well to innovate rather than iterate lest they become obsolete, like the record industry.
    If indie games got the exposure that AAA titles get, it would be sleepytimes for a lot of publishers. They are already struggling, just look at THQ (a publisher I personally adore ever since they published Viper Racing.)